Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Super easy cake recipe

Oakley
11 years ago

This is too delicious and simple to make for me not to share. Someone posted the recipe on FB and I think it's making the rounds of Pinterest.

Angel Food Cake w/Pineapple.

1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
1 20 oz. can Crushed Pineapple, undrained

Mix these two ingredients together, pour into sprayed 9x13 pan. Bake for 30 min. at 350. Voila!

Delicious and very summery! I'm going to keep these two ingredients on hand in case I need to bring a dessert somewhere at the last minute.

Comments (20)

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

It sounds delicious . . . darn you (LOL)! I am on a tear to lose weight and that cake of yours is too tempting! It sounds very similar to one DH's aunt made for us years ago, except that one had coconut in it, too. Yikes, I have got to stop thinking about yummy desserts!
    Lynn

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Yummy! That sounds delicious - plus quick and easy! Will definitely try this one.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Oh my. This does sound delicious. I have the can of pineapple, but don't have the cake mix - will put it on my shopping list. (Might even make a special trip to the store.)

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

Lynn~ Don't worry .
    That recipe is on the Weight Watchers site.
    Use the pineapple packed in water.
    Calories: 136.5
    Fat grams: 0.2
    Fiber grams: 0.1

• User
    11 years ago

That's a recycled version of what was called "dump cake" about 15 years ago. You can also make it with yellow cake mix and a can of cherry pie filling. I've had both iterations--- this is a dessert that turns up often at potluck suppers---and am not a fan. i will say that the water packed pineapple version is much better than the cherry filling one, which is ghastly.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

You are all so good! Just the mention of pineapple cake had me running to grandmaâÂÂs upside down pineapple cake recipe (minus the cherries).
    See what you did Oak? Lol, when IâÂÂm stressed I have no willpower.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

KSWL, this isn't dump cake. It's mixed before you put it in the pan. Dump Cake is layered:

Layer in order

I can Pie Filling
    1 sm. can crushed pineapple
    1 box yellow cake mix
    2 sticks butter, sliced
    Chopped Nuts
    Cocount

Bake for an hour and a half at 325.

I fix this all the time for large crowds. It's actually my favorite cake! Oh, last time I used blueberry pie filling. Yum.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

JT, I didn't see your picture when I last posted. That's my DH's favorite cake. I have to make it for him every year. I'm not fond of it though. lol.

Did you know you can make your cake in a cupcake pan for individual servings? All you do is put the pineapple ring on the bottom & put the batter on top. That would make a really cute dessert.

Now I'm craving the dump cake!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I wish I would stop clicking on this thread. Has anyone made the 2 ingredient cake?

• maddielee
    11 years ago

I made it using the angel food cake mix and a can of lemon pie filling (hard to find, a jar of lemon curd might work).

Turned out better then expected. I sprinkled powder sugar on the top after it had cooled (3 ingredients?). Nice snack cake.

I refrigerated the leftovers and it stayed moist until it was gone.

ML

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maddie, that sounds good! I don't think I've ever seen the lemon pie filling. You just mix it with the cake?

My DH keeps complimenting me on the cake. Which is huge for him. lol.

I'm wondering if using frozen strawberries (cut in small pieces and thawed) in juice would be a good substitute for the pineapple?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gray, you ought to fix the dump cake I listed a few replies up, if you haven't made it already. It's to die for, and sooo easy. Most people use either cherry or apple pie filling. Perfect summer dessert.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

Oak, I was told they sell it at Walmart.

I won't shop at Walmart

A friend had a can that she gave me. She promised me it didn't come from Walmart. :)

It was Comstock brand of lemon pie filling. Just mix the cake mix with the filing. Nothing else added.

ML

• Jamie
    11 years ago

Oh, lemon curd. That would really up the points. So wonderful and fatty and delicious. MMMMMMM.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I tried this recipe yesterday using a can of lemon pie filling. First I tried to make cupcakes, but the cake stuck to the paper liners. So I went ahead and put the remainder in a cake pan. The cake rose beautifully and browned nicely around the edges but the center remained flat. The center never rose, and when it was done, I removed it from the oven and the exterior part that had risen collapsed fairly quickly.

I was taking this to a party and was prepared to take it as is, but it was not even particularly good tasting. And it was chewy/sticky. While the batter tasted great, the consistency of mousse and lots of lemon flavor, the cake was "eh." I tossed it in the garbage.

Afterwards, it occurred to me there is a reason angel food cake is cooked in a pan with a hole in the middle. But I suspect that even with a different pan, the heavy lemon filling would weigh down the angel food cake batter.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gray, it didn't work because you didn't follow the recipe! Don't use pie filling, use the crushed pineapple. Pie filling is a totally different consistency than the pineapple in the juice.

Mine rose to perfection in a 9 x 13 pan.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

When I made the cake, using lemon pie filling, the results were tasty but looked more like a bar then a fluffy cake.

Much like the ones in the attached link.....not my photo, one of the 100s on Pinterest.

ML

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 ingredient lemon cake on Pinterest

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I made this cake with the help of my grand daughter last weekend . It turned out perfect. Thanks for posting this oakleyok.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I made this cake, too. It is so good. It is hard to keep from going back for "just a bite." Thanks so much oakleyok for posting the recipe.

• Irish2
    10 years ago

I've also made this cake many times as it is a WW recipe that was passed along. I always made in the angel food
    cake tube pan but the last time I made in a 13 X 9 pan.
    Also, I have had luck with putting a fine layer of shredded
    coconut in the bottom of the sprayed pan before I put
    the batter in.