Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

fashion news today

ms-thrifty
11 years ago

from the fashion section in my newspaper today-from Lisa Adams of HGTV closet design--purging closets-store away maxi skirts/dresses, anything in black, leggings, boot cut jeans, chambray shirts, round toed pumps, spiked and studded heels, espadrille flats, t-strap and wedgie platforms, and topsiders.

Toss out anything shorter in front longer in back, cloth logo bags, mullet dresses, skinny cargo pants..

There is more, but AT LEAST she didn't mention CAPRIS...

And I am ignoring chambray shirts-I love mine-it is great over a t-shirt, sleeves rolled worn alone, and under a sweat shirt or sweater-perfect for layering..definitely keeping my shorter in front cardigans-just love them, and definitely wearing all my black stuff, from jeans to t-shirts to my dressy top, and will probably wear my ankle length skirt as It is summery and perfect for some summer wearing.

Comments (17)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Interesting. None of it surprises me except the chambray shirts- dept. store brands, Jones New York, for example, have lots in the spring line.
    I do think boot cuts jeans won't disappear- too flattering to most body shapes, the market will demand them- but they won't be as full as they have been.
    Everything else has had it's day...

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Interesting. They recently renamed long skirts maxi skirts. Not sure why. I have been wearing them for 15 - 20 years to work, so I doubt they will go! I have never had a problem finding a few new ones each year.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

They called long skirts maxi skirts in the 70s.
    My daughter has been bugging me to get one, so I just made a casual tank "maxi" dress. I guess I'm just 2 steps behind the trendsetters.

And on the subject of fashion news, I think that many here will be happy to know that Allure magazine says that super high heels are on their way out. They showed an entire page of low stacked heeled sandals.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by terriks on Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 15:31

• Oakley
    11 years ago

So when my new espadrille flats come this week I need to throw them away? Drats.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Just don't buy anymore Oakley! LOL! And wear them to death this summer....

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

I read that kind of stuff and just shake my head . . . what a bunch of drivel! These folks have no concept of real life and buying things to last for more than a season or two. It seems to be all about saying things are "Out" so that the masses will listen like a bunch of dumb sheep. Throw away the last year's fashion statement , which is now a fashion no-no, and go out and buy, buy, buy some more . . . which will, in turn, be deemed "Out" in the near future by some fashionista ditz.

I'm sorry, that was a rant, (sigh) but I just get so sick of this kind of "In" and "Out" thing with fashions. These days I just shake my head and ignore them (LOL).

Chambray shirts look beautiful. Black? I love wearing it. Skinny cargo pants? I love mine and look darn good in them. As a matter of fact, two days from now I'm flying to Palm Beach on vacation and I'll be wearing my favorite travel outfit: my light tan pair of skinny cargo pants paired with a sleeveless black turtleneck top, a matching black cardigan knotted over my shoulders (both over 5 years old), a pair of tan topsiders, and a big chunky necklace.

• ms-thrifty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well put lynninnewmexico. I am wearing my short in front cardigans, all my black, etc. Just searched some sites, found many short in front higher end ($100.00 to 300.00) range that are same styles as mine. Guess she forgot to tell the byers of those stores that they were OUT.

Also read that the super high heels were going out for fall. About time women smartened up and stopped wearing shoes that make their feet look like those celebrity feet on that other thread someone posted.

We all need to just wear what we love, what we feel comfortable in, and what we feel is best for our age, bodies, etc. Don't we all have a better time when we go to any event if we are comfortable, warm, cool, feel we are appropriately dressed, or whatever?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I don't read much into this kind of stuff as I think we all know to wear what we like and makes us feel good, however, I do like looking current so to a degree, I pay attention as at least it steers me away from things I might have been musing over.

Some of the things mentioned, of course, are classic: black, espadrilles, topsiders will never go out. Llbean/Orvis clothing has been the same for 30 years, but it's not exactly high fashion.
    I saw some topsiders the other day with crystals on them that were fantastic, so that's something I can say no to.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Oh sure, wedge platforms are the only semi comfortable heel and now I have to throw them out.

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

What a bunch of drivel!! Lisa Adams is a closet designer - whoâÂÂs trying to push her new show which is about designing closets for million dollar clients.....whoopee! I donâÂÂt think IâÂÂm going to let a closet designer tell me what clothing design is âÂÂinâ or âÂÂoutâÂÂ!! I think your outfit to wear traveling sounds very similar to what IâÂÂd put on, lynninnewmexico, and perfect for travel!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

It's definitely drivel. If we all went by what's in and out, we'd look like clones with no individuality.

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Well said, Oakley!

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

I was looking for a dress to wear to the concert so when I went into the store and asked the sales girl if they had any maxi dresses she just looked at me like I was speaking Chinese! I had to explain to her that I was looking for a long dress. Sigh...dating myself I guess!

Boot cut jeans, black, maxi dresses, denim jackets & chambray shirts-staples in my wardrobe. Not getting rid of any of it yet!

• luckygal
    11 years ago

It must be a very confusing time for designers and buyers as there are a lot of styles that have been repeating for a few years now. IMO it's as if they can't make up their minds what should be in or out. Some fashion items I bought 3 years ago are still being shown online at high end stores.

Have a trip planned for this summer and don't want to look like a 'hick-from-the-sticks' when in large cities in Europe so have been searching the 'net and looking in many stores trying to decide what to take.

It seems that shoe styles are all over the map and all items Lisa Adams would like us to store/throw out are still seen in many high-end stores. I have noticed that some stores show absolutely no long skirts/dresses (only above-knee) but others show all lengths and there are lots of long skirts shown. Since age-wise I'm long past short skirts I'm going for longer. I wear pants more than skirts anyhow. The uneven hems of all types still seem to be current in most stores so I'm not throwing those out yet, in fact I just bought another one. I know they are not going to last much longer but they are different and I still like them when they are not too extreme. I've been wearing them for 3 years which is longer than most fads last. I can always hem them even when that style is really out! Black is a staple, can't ever imagine it not being stylish.

Pesky, that salesclerk probably thought Maxi was a brand and it wasn't one she recognized! LOL

• sis3
    11 years ago

You outfit sounds perfect for your trip, Lynn, but I am sweating at the thought of a black cardigan. Knowing Florida as well as you do I am sure you plan to ditch yours as soon as you land! We have temperatures in the 90s here at the moment.
    I hope you have a great vacation.

• springroz
    11 years ago

well, I never bought anything with an uneven hemline, so I don't have to throw it out!

Don't have a maxi dress either....

Nancy

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I don't have a maxi dress either. I remember in junior high the cool girls had them! (early 70's) They had hot pants too--