Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Box for Storing Greeting Cards

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I should start by confessing that when I googled this phrase under "images", I got several hits for a site called "The OCD Lifestyle".

SO, here is the deal. I am somewhat of a greeting card connoisseur. Whenever I see one I like, I buy it. Or several. I especially like to buy them when I travel. I have several European cards, and I just bought some gorgeous sort of paper-cutout-pop-up ones in Vietnam. I am so into cards that people know I usually don't sign them, I instead insert a note on a piece of paper. I don't want to deface them. Ok so maybe I should go to that website.

But anyway, come to find several of them were in a container in a box in the shed (one of those moving boxes that pops up still from time to time). And the envelopes were ruined on many.

So I need some sort of box designed for this. Not too big (not file sized), but it has to allow for filing.

TIA

Comments (17)

• camlan
    10 years ago

How many cards do you usually keep on hand? 20? 200?

My first thought was a pretty accordion file, like this:

Or the Kasset box from Ikea--comes in a couple of sizes and colors:

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I do the same-- but I don't have one place to store them so whenever I need a card, I have to scramble to remember just where I stashed "the perfect card". I like the accordion file solution and I already use them for other paper items. I don't have 200 though.. so it may not work for you if you have THAT many!

An aside, a friend just posted on FB that she and her husband have saved all their cards to each other over the years. They've now taken to recycling them for their birthdays and fathers' day/mother's day, etc. It's given them great joy to go back and read the sentiments they shared over their 30+ years together.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I do the same. But I don't file them, I use a stationary box given to me a long time ago. I stack the cards inside, with birthday cards on the top, and tuck it away on my desk.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

My first thought (after thinking, "yes, our friend mtnrdredux has a problem") was a photo storage box like the one from Ikea posted by camlan.

But now I can't wait to hear your answer to the question: how many do you have?

I will admit, though, that I am also thinking, "Great idea! I'm going to start doing this too!"

• allison0704
    10 years ago

It's not a problem! Or else I wouldn't do it too!! Several years ago, I bought a hard box with fold back top at Costco. Stands on its own. It had cards with the 3D images on front. The box came with dividers labeled birthday, wedding, etc. I use it now for my card stash.

DH and I have been married 32 years this year, and we have every card we've ever given each other.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Too funny! Allison - it was 31 years for us in February, and I have also saved our cards. I also have some cards from my childhood (back to the baby years) from my grandparents!

However, I don't have a card stash of cards to be sent. Most of the time I like to pick a card for the person and occasion. I do keep get-well cards, etc. on hand and send out as the need arises. It's a small stash though and I have a basket where the cards are kept.

tina

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I'm another member of the club who has greeting cards stashed away. And I don't sign mine either. I also write my greeting on a sticky note and insert it inside and suggest to the recipient that they reuse my card. It makes me feel better about spending so much on a card.

I keep mine in a simple clear plastic box. My first shoebox container was smaller and I covered it with a pretty fabric. But I've had to buy a larger container and I never bothered to decorate it. It's a larger than a shoebox and I made dividers with headings so that I can file them - blank note cards, Thank you, Birthday, graduation, sympathy etc. It's large enough that I can store extra envelopes in the back.

My cache is kept in the cabinet above my desk where I can access it quickly. I have a reputation for sending cards and notes for all kinds of occasions and non-events. When I was a reference librarian one of my duties was to maintain the newspaper files - this was when there was a substantial time lag before the fiche or film was sent to the libraries and before one could readily retrieve the data via computers. As a result I still clip articles from the paper or magazine and send them off to a relatives who I hope will find it pertinent.

It's still a treat to receive a card or letter in the mail - well, at least it is for me. Perhaps my adult children don't feel the same as I do.

It's nice to know I'm not alone!

Whenever I go to the post office I even bug the clerks at the counter to pull out the latest stamps so I can at least spiff up the envelope too.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Sounds as though many of us do this. I can never resist a marvelous card when I find one...or ten! I have mine tucked in several different spots like Funky. I like the idea of a designated box.

And no, mtn, we are definitely NOT OCD. ;) I just want to get a little better organized before I die.

• User
    10 years ago

I have two of those Costco boxes Allison, they are the best! I never thought to use the one for the cards I've been given, great idea!!!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I have a box that I bought at Hallmark one year. It has dividers for the various types of cards and a ribbon/button closure. When I look on Amazon, they have several options that you might like, but I don't see one like mine. There's nothing on the Hallmark web site either. I guess it was a special offer of some kind.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I never thought to use the one for the cards I've been given, great idea!!!

Thanks! But I use mine for the cards I buy ahead of time. And I usually always buy a specific card with someone in mind. The cards we have given each other are stashed in an armoire drawer. ;)

When my paternal grandmother passed away, after her children went through the house and not much was left, my aunt and I went to see what we could find as treasures. While I wish I had brought home the vintage cowboy fabric used in the boy's bedroom, I came home withe a few cards they had given each other over their almost 60 years. He died at 99yo and she at almost 76yo a few years later. Anyway, I also brought home a handwritten note from one to the other. I have it framed, on an easel in a bookcase. My aunt joked it was written when she forgot to buy him a card. It's a sweet reminder of the love they had for one another. My other grandparents were married 72 year. I told them I hoped I just lived that long. :)

This post was edited by allison0704 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 21:10

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I have a Target version of those IKEA boxes:

Probably any shoebox sized containerwould work for you. In the past I have purchased cards (usually generic ones good for anybody on any occasion) but kept forgetting to use them, so now I just use my own folded notes for all occasions. Over the years I have saved a very few cards with handwritten sentiments, but never ones that were just signed.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 21:56

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

I have 2 greeting card boxes; pretty sure I got them both from Walmart. They came with a few cards in each section. Other stores that may sell it would be Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls; Ross or TJ Maxx

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Allison,
    What a wonderful family treasure to have the notes from your grandparents.

I have the cards from my husband in random drawers. It makes it fun to accidentally rediscover them when I'm looking for something else. I have a few other meaningful cards in a special box. My favorite is a card from when I was in first grade and was sick with tonsillitis. My father was out at sea on sea duty and sent me a get well card with a nice handwritten note. He never sent us things when he was away, this was very unusual. When I was showing it off to my sister, I dropped it and she deliberately stepped on it. It still has the dirty shoe print on it. I was probably very upset when it happened but now it makes me laugh to see it.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Allison, what a great idea to frame the card! I have a card from my grandfather that he sent for my birthday when he was in his 80s. It was actually a piece he'd cut from another greeting card - like he cut the picture from the front of the card. Then he wrote a note on the back. I have it in a drawer in my bedroom and every so often when I clean out that drawer, I find that little card. But framing it would be an even better way to remember him!

Have to ask...you said he died when he was 99 and she died several years later at 76. How far apart were they in age? How old was she when she married him?? Or did I misread that?

My own paternal grandparents were 20 years apart. He was 40 when they got married. He had emigrated from Italy when he was 18, never married but somehow met her, I think through church and the Italian community they lived in. They were married until he died at age 86. She lived another 20 years and also died at age 86.

Sorry, no suggestions Mtn but I don't think it's a strange hobby/habit. I know lots of people who buy cards and keep them saved for the appropriate use.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

They were 18 years different in their ages. They had 5 children, in 2 "groups." When the last two sons were born, the nurses thought the dad (my grandfather) was their grandfather. lol I saved their obits, but my grandmother didn't put his DOB in his because she didn't want people to think she was his age. Then her age/DOB is not in hers either! He died of old age, but she was severely injured crossing the street - with her sister, but the sister lived. At my grandmother's funeral, all her friends told us that she prayed every night to die so that she could be with her DH again. Moral of the story is to be careful what you ask for.

Did some math: he was born in 1891 (served in WWI) and she was born in 1918 (sorry I told!). They were married when she was 19yo and he was 37yo. They were married 53 years when he passed away.

The handwritten note I have framed says, "Some people can write sweet verses to tell their love. But all the sweet verses in the world and all the sweet words couldn't begin to tell you how much I love you." No year noted. :(

My mom's parents married at 15 and 16yo, married 72 years when he passed away.

Sorry to sort of have hijacked the thread, mtnrdredux. The box I have is by Paper Magic. I don't see the exact one at Amazon, but they have several, of course they come with cards. It's sort of like this one, but is divided in the middle:
    Here is a link that might be useful: [Card Storage Box link](http://papercards.com/search-details.asp?afID=va5241342917109&bcID=3&cgID=300&pg=1&itemnum=8926&imgptr=2#itemname)
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all who responded with ideas.

I ended up going with a clear plastic box that had dividers (that feature is important IMHO). Oh yeah, they were the ones recommended on OCDlifestyle (wincing).

In re the questions above... I have about 3 boxes worth (large shoeboxes).

I do pick them out with a person in mind. Who else am I buying Valentine's for, or Mother's Day, Father's Day? But I also have a wide variety of more generic ones, so I can pick the one that is just right for someone. So my categories within "birthday" include DH, my sister (another card junkie), men (bils, older nephews etc), my young daughters, parties for kids birthdays, etc etc. I also keep starbucks, barnes and noble and itunes giftcards on hand for thank yous, last minute birthday stuff, etc.

For my Mom I have a lot of blank cards. One year when I was in college I got her a birthday card that said "for the greatest Mom there ever was, for everything she is and does". She liked it so much that the next year I wrote that in a blank card. And I still do every year.

I love everyone's stories about cards! I may start to do a better job of keeping mine, too.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022