Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fourkids4us

Recommendations for vegetable/vegetarian cookbooks.

fourkids4us
10 years ago

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a vegetarian.

However, I've noticed in recent years that I really do not like beef. Well, it's not that I don't like it, but I think I have an issue with texture. I appreciate a good filet or tenderloin, and even a hamburger, but steaks of any cut do not appeal to me. In that same regard, poultry and pork are losing their appeal also. Chicken is okay if it's cut into pieces and mixed with something like a salad, pasta, etc. But just chicken on it's own, not so much.

And don't get me started on reheating meat of any kind. For some reason, that repulses me. I can eat some leftover chicken cold - like cut into pieces for a salad. However, to reheat something like chicken piccata or a leftover pasta dish that has chicken/meat, yuck.

I do, however, love vegetables. I have many tried and true favorite preparations for vegetables, but I'm getting tired of the same old thing. I'm also trying to eat more low-carb (like no pasta/rice/bread), so having interesting main course meals that are entirely vegetable based (seafood is okay too) is appealing.

For instance, I'm eating a lot of salad but that gets boring. And sometimes I'll make a big batch of ratatouille and eat that every day for lunch, but again, loses its appeal after eating it all the time.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a good cookbook considering my preferences? I'm not really big on beans either, so looking for something that doesn't include a lot of beans, or at least, beans can be left out. I'm not worried about getting enough protein b/c I'm not giving up meats entirely but considering I've already cut way down unintentionally just due to my loss of taste for it, I'd really like to find some new recipes.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I have been a vegetarian for more than 2 decades. The books by Jeanne Lemlin are great. They don't require trips to special stores, and are easy to prepare. I'll link my favorite below.

Also, not a book, but I absolutely LOVE this soup. It's even vegan. Very simple to make, so nutritious. Even my kids love it. For some reason, though, I don't like it as much when I double a batch. (You might like this site for other recipes, too, though I use them mostly for the rest of the family, as they aren't vegetarians.)

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/creamy-spinach-soup/

I'm very interested in this thread, though, because I know what you mean . . .it's hard to find vegetable dishes prepared in exciting ways (in the US). Ethiopian and Indian cuisines are my favorites in that regard. They know how to use vegetables.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetarian Classics

• louisianapurchase
    10 years ago

I just saw the "Oh She Glows" cookbook this morning online. The recipes I looked at on her blog look really good. The authors name is Angela Liddon I think. She has a blog by the same name as the book. The book is available at Target. I plan to pick one up this weekend.

• sprout26
    10 years ago

Moosewood cooks at home is a good, accessible starter book. That's the only one I own, although I eat vegetarian 3-4 nights a week. There are a ton of blogs out there.

• homeatlast
    10 years ago

Although I've not made much from it yet, River Cottage Veg (200 Inspired Vegetable Recipes) by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is a lovely book. I admit I often buy cookbooks to read, and this one is nicely written with the bonus of pretty pictures! The author says it is a "vegetable cookbook . . . to persuade you to eat more vegetables. Many more vegetables." I don't look forward to veggies and bought the book (from Amazon) in an attempt to change my attitude, and it has converted me. There are chapters on salads, soups, comfort food, pantry suppers, meze & tapas, roasting, grilling, broiling. I think you'd enjoy reading and cooking from it!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't think it's still in print, but I get a lot of use out of "lean, luscious and meatless"

I also get a lot of use out of Maryana Vollstedt Big book of soups and stews and her big book of casseroles...lots of T&T recipies in both, though not exclusively vegetarian....

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon. It is fun and there is a wide variety of recipes.

Deborah Madison's Vegetarian cooking for everyone is good.

Appetite for Reduction (cannot recall the author's name) but she was also part of the pair that did Veganomicon, another great cookbook.

Every one of the Moosewood cookbooks that I have tried have been good. My copy of the cookbook covering fast and quick was borrowed and never returned and is worth it to me to buy again, many great ideas for things that are truly quick.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

Just remembered Plenty. Cannot recall the author but it is a focus on mediterranean flavors and was very good.

• fourkids4us
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THank you for all the recommendations! I admit to being partial to cookbooks with lots of colorful pictures rather than finding recipes online, so I will check all of these out.

Anele, I follow Mel's Kitchen Cafe but I'm not sure if I've ever actually made one of her recipes. I've bookmarked many of them though. Often the ones that look so delish are the ones that aren't exactly on my healthy dietâ¦.I'll check out the spinach soup though. I absolutely love spinach whether it's cooked or raw, but unfortunately my kids don't share the love! I have to sneak it into fruit smoothies for them, but would love it if they would eat it sautéed/steamed/

Any other recommendations are fondly received!! Tonight's meal, while not vegetarian, is fish tacos with mango salsa. I can't wait!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!