Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Wardrobe Malfunction...continued

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

Wow! Reached capacity on that last thread, please continue here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Wardrobe Malfunction part 1

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 16:37

Comments (77)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

So many opinions, but of course the most important one is yours.
    How about the solid blue for the shower?I really like that one, but the studs drop it down to more casual.
    I agree with mtn, go more flowy and fancier for the wedding.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Mtnrdagain, what about ST John? Wouldn't that look too old on Paris but good on Hillary? It's what I would call a simple straight cut, isn't it?

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh Annie! Sorry to post a polyester dress, I didnâÂÂt realize the exterior of the dress was polyester. I thought the lining was man made not the whole dress. Sheesh what nerve trying to sell a poly at a regular price of nearly $600. Even still, a man made lining could get mighty toasty even if the exterior was something nice. Is there anything NOT a rip-off out there? IâÂÂm starting to see your point in making your own and I envy you if you can pull that off nicely. I barely have the patience to sew on a button.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've pretty much decided that one of the dresses I bought will be fine for the shower, but I'm still working on the wedding dress. I hate to admit it, but the most comfortable is the dress barn dress...

More flowy....what about the pink mccalls dress pattern above at post 18:43? It has the gathered shoulder which is a little stronger than a plain shoulder and the wrap top will help minimize my boobaciousness (which makes me look more matronly), it has the fit at the waist and the flair of the gathered side piece. I was even thinking I could go with color blocking, making the right side top and the flair in one fabric and the skirt and the left side top in another.....

And as far as a number of you have commented on my willingness to take criticism, it's no big deal. I don't see this as any different from when I suggest someone relocate a chair or choose a different paint color. I presume it is coming from a place of caring otherwise why would you bother; you are critiquing the clothing, not me as a human being; and the way players get better is to learn from what the coach sees and execute on it. So thanks, coaches!

Besides, I love playing with color and fabrics and dresses in my mind as much as I do playing with colors and fabrics and furniture in my home....it's all creative design fun. I know some who hate shopping would view this as torture, but to me, it is absolute pleasure.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Antonio Melani is just an awful color, sparkle. It even washes out the model and on me, oatmeal is just horrible. So I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm going to nix it....

• golddust
    10 years ago

I agree that the nude color is almost impossible to wear. I keep wondering who that color would look good on.

Nude shoes are different.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the oatmeal color would look great on someone with dark skin for a nice contrast....and it's a great neutral color provided you offset it with something more colorful around the face...or as a pant or skirt...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Jamies,
    I think St John is a very good example of what I am saying. I think as a brand it skews matronly. However, I had a niece who we sponsored in a competition and she needed a suit. We got her an ivory St John and she looked great in it. Corporate but feminine at the same time. On me I think it would look Church Lady.

: )

Annie I do like the style of the fuchsia dress you posted last. I think that little bit of flounce would make it more feminine, and draw attention to your great legs. The blue dress can read "Warden".

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Annie, could you make something like this in silk? You would look HOT!

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie on fire!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting, jterrilynn, but I think not for me... the hem is a little too out there for me, but more important, any time I've tried on a top with pleats, it really makes my bazookas stick out...and this one would not be good as it would make one look larger than the other...yikes! The fabric is pretty and the hand on the dress looks nice too, though.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

A current style that I find fascinating is the color block dress that fools the eye into seeing curves by putting a contrasting panel of fabric in the front of the dress.

I tried to post an example but can't seem to get it to appear.

This post was edited by graywings on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 17:35

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Graywings, it is on the way out...way out...It gets mocked all the time on fashion web sites, so better to avoid it, imo.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I still say you would look sizzle in that style, as long as it was a bit flowing and non-clingy when on so it just scanned over the giant bazookas.The off center vertical pleats would give the illusion of slim length to the torso. It has just the right amount of feminine without a lot of flimflam hanging off. IâÂÂm telling ya with some nude 2â heals and maybe some small drop colored pearl earringsâ¦you would turn some heads. And, I can especially see that color looking good on your pale skin. But if you no likelyâ¦

Oh and P.S you all have me looking at feet now. Another model with shoes at least a size too small.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 18:14

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to admit that DH didn't ooh or aah when I put the blue dress on...he did like the print dresses though.

Of course his taste would have me wearing this:

• golddust
    10 years ago

Annie, you are too funny. I describe my DH as a flannel pajama man but he would totally think I looked cute in that dress too.

It's only when I get compliments on what I'm wearing in front of him that he starts to take notice. I can't remember exactly what he said last time we were out and about together but essentially he told me that he was impressed by how many strangers commented on the various parts of my wardrobe. (Huge compliment alert.)

Now if I could just get him out of those baggy, ink pen stained jeans... He wears quality tops but his pants are not o great...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just keep complimenting him on his cute butt...it'll help him choose better pants...or at least it did with DH!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I am not following this closely but think you would look smashing in this red dress! Sapphire blue would be pretty too.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I agree with snookums-- Love the Kay Unger and I think it would work beautiful with your figure. Not sure what color your hair is but the fuchsia is stunning and would look lovely with a pale complexion. Since you like blues, it would also look stunning in a sapphire blue.

I whipped through the posts quickly so I apologize if you've already decided. I agree with Mtn, the blue dress just isnt dressy enough for an evening wedding... and I think you could do much better for the shower dress.

Personally, for spring/summer day time events, I go one of two directions
    1. a simple dress with great lines-- and then great jewelry or a scarf. A sheath dress or a long linen maxi are my staples.
    2. a great floral pattern-- flowy but also in a simple design. You can add a shrug or shawl or just rock the dress!

I don't know that any of them are dressy enough, but if you are looking for some comfy casual summer dresses, I noticed earlier today that JJILL has a number of dresses on sale for under $50. I love their linen dresses.. the cut is feminine but they wear "loose" so are great for hot, humid days.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

My DH is not interested in clothes either. After a point, he does take the hint and now has jeans that fit nicely.
    He only wears long sleeve shirts in the winter and a t-shirt in the summer. No one sleeve tops or sweaters!
    MY DH only comments on my wardrobe when he doesn't like something. Often it is an unusual color that is in fashion at the moment. Like this years tangerine.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Speaking of husbands:
    Mine was telling me how some of the younger women from his office were going out after work and changed into less office-like attire. He was trying to explain what one of the 30-something's was wearing and his description was hilarious. He did say she looked very nice but so different than her usual work clothes. I thought I guess I should call and speak to one of the female employees to find out what he could possibly be describing because his description, with hand gestures no less, was as clear as mud.

Today while out & about, he said "see what that lady is wearing? That's how Sarah was dressed that night they were going out after work". It was basically leggings with a tunic. It was not what I would have guessed from his bizarre description.

On the plus side, he is always very complimentary to me about how I look. I'd love to hear his description of his favorite thing I wear to see if I can guess what it is.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I went to the fabric store and now have too many options!

I found a nice jersey stretch solid that would work with the mccall's dress above in a royal purple...I was thinking I could use a rhinestone pin at the top of the pleated drape action to accent the waist.

For the Burda 7081 above with the cap sleeves, I thought of using a coordinating lace fabric for the shoulders and back yoke and a solid for the body of the dress. They had 2 nice options, same fabrics, different colors:

the royal blue:

or a teal

Finally, for the Kay Unger with the trim along the collar, I came across this really nice fabric...the picture unfortunately doesn't capture it...it's a deep eggplant with a crinkle in the fabric and depending on how the light hits it, the crinkles almost look black. And it looks terrific with the trim I found that I could use on the shawl collar as shown on the pattern. The trim is not as bright as it shows in the pic...they go together really well in RL.

Decisions, decisions.

The bride's veil looks terrific...I just have to sew on the crystals now, and once that's done, I'd be able to turn my attention to my dress....I still want to look at Annie Sez and Macy's and Lord and Taylor before making the final decision.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Show us the veil! :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DH votes for the Kay Unger...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll have to take a pic of it when I finish it...haven't taken a pic since I finished the hand beading on it....the sales ladies at the bridal store really liked it. I took that as a real compliment seeing as they were showing me hand beaded belts for $1500!!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

The last fabric and trim looks the most sophisticated and dressy. I like it a lot. The other colors are too harsh imho, they look like inexpensive bridesmaid's dresses, sorry.

The Kay unger is lovely. I'd make the bottom and the fabric a little softer and flowy, but I think you have it!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx, mtnrd....I definitely will cut the skirt a little fuller as it's easier to sit in and more flattering to my behind than the straight skirt. And I think the Kay Unger is very classy.

Tomorrow I head to Annie Sez and I'll stop at DSW for shoes and probably hit Macy's and L&T to see what's what....I maybe able to find something RTW yet....

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i definitely vote the kay unger pattern/fabric as well.... i think it could look beautiful!

• Jamie
    10 years ago

The trim reminds me of amethyst carnival glass or abalone, both of which I like a lot.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I agree, the Kay Unger and fabric are great.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

and another for the Kay Unger and absolutely lovely fabric. It looks mysterious and sexy while still being very pretty!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! I'm getting a real consensus here!

Thanks for all the votes!

I think it would be classy yet sexy yet age appropriate and good for both the church and the reception.

I'll see if I can find something in the stores today, but if not, I'll have to spend some up close and personal time with my Viking!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Can't wait to see the Unger dress! Beautiful material selection!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I went shopping today and found a nice dress at Annie Sez...not for the wedding, but for the shower....I think it looks less like "mid-level secretary" plus it's really comfortable. I'll have to get DH to take a pic tomorrow so I can post it. I have a sweater and a topper in a good colors to go with it so I'm more than set for the shower. I tried on about 10 dresses at Macys and bought one, but it is a petite and doesn't fit as well...it was also more expensive, Ralph Lauren, but the fabric was wonderful. Since it's not perfect, and since I'm not sure it's dressy enough for the wedding, it's going to go back.

I found a wonderful dress at L&T...it had a rhinestone embellished neckline that was a scoop in the back, higher in the front with a key hole. It fit well and was comfortable and with the discounts the price was reasonable. Didn't buy it. Why? It was black. And with the rhinestone embellishment, I didn't want to look like I was trying to be part of the wedding party or mother of the bride....the girls' dresses are black with rhinestone embellishment....

I also found a wonderful pair of peep toe heels in black, platforms that are comfortable and I can walk in them and dance in them for the wedding. I'll have to post those too. I'll wait to hear what you think before I post the price....I don't want to be accused of "bargain goggles".

So I think I'm stuck with making the dress....now I have to find coupons for the pattern....

• golddust
    10 years ago

Annie, you are great. Can't wait to see the new outfit and shoes, sans the 'discount goggles'.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ellendi, I haven't updated it recently, but you can see the history of the veil on the thread linked below...

I'll post an update after I get the crystals sewn on....

Here is a link that might be useful: Veil

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Annie, that looks amazing.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, ellendi, it looks good now that I've sewn all the beads on...I'll take a pic after I get the crystals on it....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, dress from annie sez...so comfortable, and I loved the colors in the print that I had to buy it. This dress is a tad longer than the others, but has that asymmetrical draping like so many do now. The shoes are a peep toe sling back black satin platform and are reasonably comfortable, like I can even dance in them. What say ye?

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I think it looks great on you, but as you stated it is longer than the others and I think it would look much better a bit shorter.
    The hem looks tricky, but I bet you could do it:)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ellendi, I think I would need to shorten it.

I have a thing to go to tonight and now I have another wardrobe malfunction....too many things to choose from!!!

:)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

The shoes are great, they elongate the leg nicely.
    Dress fits perfectly, too! I think shorter might be a bit more youthful, but o/w its fine.

I wonder if DH thinks you've taken up internet dating with all these photos, lol

• funkyart
    10 years ago

The dress looks great-- hangs perfectly. I agree that it will look even nicer hemmed a bit shorter. It will drape just a bit sexier and it will show off your legs. Great find!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Love the new dress, Annie! The hem doesn't even bother me. You have beautiful legs. Love the shoes too!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys....glad you like the dress. I agree it would be better a bit shorter and I may shorten it when I get a chance. So glad you like the shoes too...and it wasn't must bargain goggles....all $8 for them! The dress was $30....

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Amazing that you got that for $30. It looks great on you! What jewelry do you plan on wearing with it?

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

Perfect dress for you. Don't ya just love a bargain too. I really like it much better than all the other dresses you posted. Goes to show you don't have to spend a bundle to find something that is just right..

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would you believe it?

Neiman Marcus now has the exact Kay Unger dress I plan on making on sale for $100!

Granted it doesn't have the bling and it is navy for heaven's sake, and I don't like the fabric as much, but there it is.

I'm debating if I should go and try it on, if it's in the store in my size, just to see....store is about 1 hr away....

I mean it is NAVY! yet again, and I can always add my own bling to the collar, and it would save me so much work, or I might find another kay unger dress i like while I'm there....

decisions, decisions.

Shower report: I wore the Dress Barn dress to the shower...GFs looked at them all on me (head included) and they liked that one best...I wore it with my nude pumps and the little shrug and the big bracelet. I felt very comfortable. There were about 80 women there....one lady said the guest list is about 250. But I have to say that given how the bride and her sister were dressed, this is going to be a fancy do. The bride, her sister and another gal were in real mullet dresses...short in front and on the floor in back. Oh, and I did wear panty hose....I thought I saw a few other women in hose as well, but not many. I'll have to think long and hard on that one for July.

The bride really raked it in, and the afghan I made for her was a real hit, thanks to all y'alls help with selecting the color. I'm so glad.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Mon, May 6, 13 at 9:20

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

About the panty hose bit--yesterday went to a dress up function-of the younger set, the very high heels and no hose of curse. Of the over 50 set, only two of us without hose. The other no hose lady was younger than me, and was darker skinned so had no self tanning stuff, but I had a good coat of medium self tanning so thought I looked OK.
    Can't remember the last time I wore hose in warmer weather, but when it is cold I wear black semi opaque with pumps, or dressy boots with pants.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

IMO hose just do so much. Not only do they make your legs look good, but the control top holds your jiggles in place and the foot keeps you from getting blisters from your shoes. It's one thing if you're wearing sandals, but closed shoes are not good on my bare skin.

But it isn't comfortable to wear a nylon bag on half your body when it's hot and humid.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, good news and bad news.

I decided to make the trek to Nordstroms and Neiman Marcus to look at Kay Unger dresses in real life.

Good news was, I made it there and back in one piece.

Bad news was, a number of the Kay Unger dresses I liked, they didn't have in my size, but I tried on what I could to see what's what. They are cut very slim so I have to go up a size to fit my booty....but then the shoulder is way too big.

I finally found one that I think is the same as the pattern above. That's the really bad news. I was a bit concerned about the neckline, but when I tried it on, it's bad, bad, bad! It's like a portrait collar and so it sits really wide and it sits really deep so we are talking cleavage city. Not good. I can make a dress and I can alter a pattern, but I'm not a pattern designer and wouldn't know how to alter the shoulder, the neckline, the wrap and the collar to close up the top to make it comfortable for me to wear. It was like this, only knee length:

I'm going to have to look at the actual pattern to see how wide it is and make a muslin and go from there. If it's no good, I'm going to have to go back to pattern shopping and hopefully keep the fabric and trim for a different style.

It's amazing though...I'm going through the racks and not liking most of the dresses, then suddenly I like one...sure enough Kay Unger.

I tried on this one which wasn't bad, if they had my size, but I didn't like the color...a real washout on me.