Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

backpack type handbags - again

3katz4me
9 years ago

I have a little different need than the last go round on this topic but you were all so helpful before that I thought you may have some insight that would help me find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a not too large, not too heavy backpack style handbag for vacation travel. Big enough to carry basic handbag stuff plus a travel book or two and an ipad mini. It could be leather or not but something simple and not gaudy. Not looking to spend hundreds on this but I would invest if I found the right thing. Probably wouldn't use it much for day to day use but who knows.

I want the primary opening(s) to be secure; i.e. toward the body not on the outside where someone can just reach in. A friend of mine has one like this that is perfect but she bought it many years ago so not something I have been able to find. I remember people discussing whether or not you need to be concerned about "security" but having had my wallet stolen in foreign country it is important to me.

I've been looking online but they all seem to be wide open to whoever might be walking behind me. Has anyone seen anything like I'm describing?

Comments (4)

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I really like the bags sold by Pacsafe. Not are they antitheft, they are also designed really well for travel. Plenty of easy to access compartments. I use one compartment for cash and credit cards, another for maps and guides, another for personal items. It works out very well and is lightweight although I have to admit that the style of bag that I have kind of screams "tourist". Well, that's what I am when I travel so if the shoe fits...!

They make several backpack styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: pacsafe

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well the more I look at these and he more I read I think I may abandon this idea altogether. Can't find what I'm looking for plus I'm reading about cutting and slashing so maybe best to just carry on with a shoulder bag I clamp tightly under my arm.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

This is a backpack purse I bought last year at Branson to take on vacations. I looked all over it and there is no name on it. It's leather, with two sections in the main purse which is like a big shoulder bag and folds over to make a packpack. There are two straps that are adjustable and separate to go around shoulders.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Gibby, I think those "safe" bag sites scare you about cutting straps, etc. Pickpockets are pretty common at tourist sights (sites?) as is the occasional purse snatcher. Its too bad that the local crooks target the tourists. Men should remember to keep their wallet in their front pocket. Some men put a rubber band around it to make it less easy to slide out.

I like a cross body bag because you can open it in front of yourself and still have it securely around your body. You can't do that with a bag that is just a shoulder bag. My day-to-day bag is a shoulder bag and sometimes it drives me crazy slipping off my shoulder with certain coats.

I also use a money belt for my passport and extra credit card. Things I will not need during the day. I sure don't need the extra bulk around my middle but I also don't need to have my vacation ruined by losing them.

My sore shoulders would never put up with a backpack. They'd be screaming every time I took it on and off.

Just take a few precautions then relax and enjoy your vacay!