Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Question re water and wine glasses/table setting

joaniepoanie
10 years ago

I usually do very casual entertaining, but I want to kick it up a notch for Easter instead of using my usual mish-mash of everyday glasses. I also need more wine glasses.

Can the water and wine be the same size? What are the suggested ounces for each? It's hard to ascertain from looking at them online....they look the same to me.

I am thinking footed style for both. Also, I want to buy 24 of each so don't want to break the bank....think Target, Overstock, etc..

TIA for any info/suggestions!

Comments (7)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Joy of Cooking has all of this info, fyi.

Rules are more flexible now, but I do think there has to be a clear differentiation between the two. Usually the largest size is water, then red wine, then white, then champagne flutes of course.

SO whatever you choose the water must be larger. You MAY be able to get away with the wine glass being the same size i suppose, if the style or color were a little different.

You may also want to look at restaurant supply stores.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

There are rules, but unless you are serving at a level where your guests expect perfect protocol, I wouldn't worry about the rules so much and just do what looks pretty on your table. I've even seen tumblers used for water mixed with a small stemmed glass for wine.

I'll link an article about stemware for your use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stemware buying guide, use and placement

• luckygal
    10 years ago

With the recent introduction of stemless wine glasses I think the rules have been thrown out.

I no longer use my crystal glasses as don't put them in the DW and prefer good glass that can for our casual style.

I prefer wine glasses with stems and use red wine ones for both red and white. So you get a more generous serving for white but no one has complained yet!

I also have a set with 3 sizes so have lowball, highball, and in between which works for everyone's preference.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Hit the goodwill stores or salvation army or tag sales...there are acres of glassware out there for a song.

I'm always nervous about long stem glasses as they are so easily knocked over by people reaching, like helping to clear the table and such, so I like a water glass with a low base.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

My water glasses have a shorter stem than the wine glass, a higher bowl though.

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Absolutely get footed for both wine and water. The wine goblet can be larger than the water goblet. Buying in sets is smart and saves $$$$!

We have all sorts of wine glasses-from the finest Riedel to big boxes of glasses used for parties and large holiday gatherings.

We often use our fine crystal for the water, but rarely use the crystal wine goblets. They are too small for most wines.

The only "rules" I follow are:
    The water goblet is placed above the knife
    The wine glass(es) are to the right of the goblet

Check out Amazon, BB&B, Target, etc. for boxes of "party" wine glasses-meaning versatile and can be used for both red and white wines. Keep in simple!

• chrisstack
    3 years ago

I have crystal wine glasses (I like a bigger wine glass, regardless red or white) but I don't have crystal water goblets, What can I use?

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County