Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

grad gifts?

daisychain01
11 years ago

My teaching partner's daughter is graduating from high school this year and I'd like to get her a little something. This is the first of our friends children to graduate and I'm really out of touch with what would be appropriate. She is an extremely gifted and hardworking student and has won many scholarships and awards. For others that I haven't known as well, I've given moleskin notebooks or nice pens, but I'd like to give her something more personal. Is jewelry appropriate? Other ideas?

Comments (17)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

What would you like to spend?

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think $50-75 would be my limit.

• judiegal6
    11 years ago

Alex and Ani charm bracelets are something that my DD's like. Many styles and metals. Reasonably priced you can get them online. We get ours at "The Paper Store".

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks judiegal, I'll have a look. So I take it you think jewelry is appropriate?

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

I think jewelry is appropriate. The girls here love the Alex and Ani, but it may be regional as we are in MA too.

Beth P

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I received a lot of gifts.. but the two I remember most were very nontraditional graduation gifts. One was a pottery piece that said "Wild women don't get the blues" and the other was a pearl bracelet. I think personal is very appropriate.. and I have always marked my transitions (and those of my sisters and nieces) with jewelry.

I have been scouring the house for a ring I misplaced awhile ago.. it was an interesting shape but what was key to me was that it was engraved with "to thine own self be true".. another I have is a scrolly design with the om symbol integrated into the design. I'd think either of those would be appropriate for a young woman. I also have a secret love of Island Cowgirl's jewelry. Not all is to my taste but I love the style-- especially when I am feeling badass!

I have the heartfelt bracelet, and a few others... + necklaces and rings. My youngest sister and all my nieces (14-20) wear her stuff too. It's not fancy or for work or dress-- but it's a great casual style and I just love some of the messages.

Here is a link that might be useful: island cowgirl

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

There's a really cute little pendant over on the Signals catalog site that has a Churchill saying -- "Never, never, never give up." I've always liked that msg!

But the add-a-bead bracelets that are all over the place -- Troll beads, the Pandora stuff -- are also really nice, and you don't have to spend very much for a "starter" bracelet. A contemporary spin on our mothers' and grandmothers' charm bracelets.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Love that message, Pammy!

I wear trollbeads.. and would be embarrassed to share how many bracelets worth of beads I have. I think they make great gifts but a starter bracelet is over $100. I love that many of the beads have different meanings or "stories" ..and I love the colors.

So many good ideas!

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, many great ideas. Thank you!

Funkyart, the "wild women .." quote made me laugh out loud. This girl is extremely nice, but has always been very focused on her studies and the quote is so not her, it might just be appropriate. But the to thine own self ... quote might be better as she is trying to figure out where to go to school and what career path to follow when so many schools are courting her.

I'll have to check into whether she has a starter bracelet already, It might be nice to add to it if she does. But I'm liking the idea of something with a quote on it. Pammy, I'd be afraid to give her the never give up quote, because she is the most driven kid I've ever seen in my life. I'd hate to see what would happen if she was even nudged to do more :-)

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Etsy is a great place to browse for grad gifts....

Here is a link that might be useful: An example of Etsy grad gifts....

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Ha well, I was giving examples of the kinds of gifts that stuck in my head (for 35 +/- years). I *was* a wild woman (but also a good student!). Perhaps a quote that reminds her to enjoy life?? Island Cowgirl probably isnt her style.. but there are so many jewelry designers who do quotes. Lots on etsy and in most any small or specialty jewelry store.

One word of warning. I'd check to see if she has a nickel allergy. All of us in my family do-- and that makes a lot of the fun artisan jewelry unwearable for us. All silver, gold or platinum for us.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Maybe for a driven kid a copy of Desiderata might be appropriate. I bought one of these for my grandson's first birthday, because he was born to high achieving, driven parents and I thought he could use some alternative thinking.....

I bought mine from this site and it was wonderful quality and the framing was perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desiderata calligraphy

• Jane_the_Renovator
    11 years ago

What's going on in the graduate's life? After I graduated I moved 200 miles and then had to find a job, an apartment, and lose 20 lbs--as soon as possible. Not to mention pay off as much on my student loans as possible before they came due 6 months later.

Cash was the gift I appreciated most. Lightweight, portable, and believe me, I thought nice thoughts about the givers when I bought groceries. $50 -75 would have been VERY welcome.

Your graduate might be in a totally different situation. I do love the beads, and the framed calligraphy is also nice.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Overstock has a nice selection of jewelry for reasonable. Or gift certificates are always nice...I gave one graduate a gift certificate to a clothing store figuring that with a life change, a wardrobe update is always helpful.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

When my son graduated and was headed to college, a couple of our friends gave him gift cards for the bookstore at the college he was going to. I thought they were so thoughtful.

But for a girl, I too have given jewelry. When our neighbor's daughter graduated from high school, we gave her a simple sterling silver pendant necklace that we bought from a local, interesting/arty local jewelry store (and gave her a gift receipt, of course!).

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

It all depends on your relationship with the graduate IMHO. Money from well wishers that are "family friends/acquaintances" is most helpful. Personal gifts from people the graduate should remember when seeing the gift i.e. grand ma, favorite aunt is how I decide. Other wise chances are fair your gift will be in a pile of "now what do I do with this stuff". College dorms are small..let the graduate decorate with what the choose...Life is expensive give the graduate something that will HELP.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone, I really appreciate all the advice. This week has been crazy busy and I just haven't had time to reply. My oldest DD (the one with the friend who has cancer) has been organizing a fundraising book and bake sale to raise money for cancer research. Although she and another friend have done most of it themselves, the families have also been put to work. We spent 6 hours on Sunday just organizing books into categories and we are no where near finished.

I would normally give money or a gift card, but this girl and her family are extremely well off and I know she will lack for nothing (also an only child). She's also won enough scholarship money to keep her going to school until she's thirty.

I think I do want something that she will look at and remember or at least receive and know I was thinking of her. I see her everyday so I think I will scope out what sort of jewelry she favours and go from there. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm off to bake 3 dozen cookies before school starts.