Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitchdesj2

Healthy check-in for April

mitchdesj
9 years ago

It's not to late to do this thread for April !!!

I always find inspiration here. I've been super busy and am managing my weight but I don't feel in control, I think I need to use the food diary again !

Fitness wise, I"ve been travelling a lot and I also have lots of aches and pains, so I have to force myself to go to the gym, I haven't been as much as I should.

DD and family are arriving today in Florida to join me for 2 weeks, and they are great motivators so I"m hoping to ramp up my exercise program.

hopefully you are all well and springing into spring !!!

Comments (15)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I had my birthday recently and decided it was time to check in on all things...had a physical, had my thyroid checked, mammo, bone scan...eye doc this week. All has been coming out A-1! Including the fact that my total cholesterol, which last year was at 260, is now down to 193 with very good HDL and low triglycerides. The cleanse is part of it, but the lion's share is that my synthroid is adjusted properly, I'm feeling much better, I've lost weight, even my hair looks so much healthier. I still have osteopenia, but it has improved over what it was a few years ago. The only thing to fix so far is I'm a bit low on Vit D.

With the osteopenia, I'm adding weight lifting to my routine. So now I mix it up with walking, pilates, yoga and weight lifting....plenty to keep my interest up.

The cleanse went well and I definitely notice a huge difference in energy level. People have commented on my complexion...thank you green smoothies. With the kale and the chia seeds in the smoothies, I've not been taking any flax seed oil and my aches and pains and stiffness are at bay. So, all in all, it's a good report, and I'm thankful every day for my health!

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I'm continuing to slog along at what I feel is a suboptimal level compared with where I'd like to be. There are three main things I focus on re: my health. Keeping my weight in check, exercising regularly and enjoying life.

Weight: 5 or so pounds more than I want depending on the day. Still working on this faithfully but some days I lose the battle to the appetite stimulant medication I'm taking.

Regular exercise: still stuck in the weekends only mode but hoping this will improve now that the snow is melting and weather is warming up. Went for a walk yesterday for the first time in months and it was lovely.

Enjoying life: this I'm doing well at. Since my third cancer diagnosis two years ago, I'm all about enjoying life though I've pretty much been that way since the second round over 30 years ago. I'm at the stage of life where I'm seeing lots of people's parents dying or in a state of decline and frankly, I'd rather not linger in the state of decline. I'm up for quality, not quantity. So I enjoy sweets and diet soda and if it kills me, so be it. I'm also busy planning various travels, get togethers with friends and long over due house projects. All fun stuff.

I'm fine now, no evidence of cancer, but you never know what's going to happen. No one does. So I'm making the most of every single day. Watching what I eat, always conscious of my needed exercise schedule but not really letting it get me down. If I want to go out to dinner with DH or friends, the weight control will just have to wait.

Happy spring everyone!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Weight, ever the struggle. I too would like to see a five pound loss. And, I did have it, but vacation in January brought me back up, then another vacation where I seemed to break even.

Exercise is never a problem. I just need motivation to do more. I have a lifecycle for years and need to use it more.
    I take one weight training class a week, but would love to add another. Timing just doesn't seem to work.
    I check in to Weight Watchers monthly as a life time member. According to them, my weight is fine and I never have paid a penalty for going over. However, I have a different vision, so I keep working on these last five pounds!

Health wise I am holding my own. I am now on cholesterol meds which is keeping things in check. All other numbers are fine.
    Gibby, I really like your attitude.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Love your priorities, Gibby!

annieD, congrats on getting your numbers to a good place! I attribute my good cholesterol numbers to my avid exercising. Unfortunately, I had osteopenia since I was 50 and a few months ago, at 65, I "graduated" (or failed) to osteoporosis. I eat well and have worked out with weights for decades, but my very, very small bone frame has worked against me. So, now I am on medication to help stay the bone decrease.

Mitch, I hope you and your family have a fabulous two weeks. I bet you are looking forward to spending time with your new, gorgeous GD. Pics please :-)

Ellendi, my motivation for exercise is that every day I feel lucky that I am physically able to work out and I know that not everyone is that fortunate.....so I sort of guilt myself into it....and it works.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

marlene, I hope you talked to your doc about necrosis. My former secretary was on one of the osteop. drugs for several years and now has necrosis in her jaw...her jaw bone is dying. She is losing teeth, bone and there is nothing they can do to stop it...even bone transplants have not helped. The other side effect is sudden snapping of the femur. Not a good thing.

So please talk to your doc about how long you need to be on the drug and the potential side effects....

Good points, Gibby. Life is too short not to enjoy. Some even keep a gratitude journal so every day before they go to sleep they can review all the good things that happened and things they have to be grateful for. A nice practice.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Annie, thank you for the advice.

I did speak with my doctor and my periodontist. Both said it was the intravenous med that is of more concern and that the oral med is safe (or as safe as any med is). They both said that it is not to be used more than a certain period of time (sorry, my brain is also suffering from loss and I can't remember the specific time period...but I have it in my records). Unfortunately, other than diet and exercise, I don't know what else can be done. Fortunately, I am in the very, very early stages.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

marlene, that is not my understanding...oral drugs have been linked and even short-term use may be an issue as it tends to stay in your tissues for a long time. I think it has more to do with which drug they give you....see for example the attached article. (And as with any study, look at who is funding it...there are some different conclusions out there in studies funded by the drug manufacturers.)

The study's results are in contrast to drug makers' prior assertions that bisphosphonate-related ONJ risk is only noticeable with intravenous use of the drugs, not oral usage, Sedghizadeh said. "We've been told that the risk with oral bisphosphonates is negligible, but four percent is not negligible," he said.

Here is a link that might be useful: USC Study results

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Annie, you have given me something to think about. I was relying on my periodontist as I have a lot of confidence in him. I've only been on the med for a few months and will make certain I check it out further.

I really do appreciate your pointing this out.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I take oral bisphosphonates because I have osteoporosis in my hip on the side of my above knee amputation. There is nothing I can do for this because weight bearing on that side is not possible and hasn't been for over 30 years. I've gotten various opinions on the meds. I finally saw an endocrinologist last year. He said I currently have a fairly high risk of a broken hip if I fall. I've heard of this happening with other amputees much younger than me. I'm 56. The goal for me taking the meds at this point is to keep it from getting worse to the point I have a spontaneous hip fracture with no fall.

He said my current risk of osteonecrosis is about 1 in 100,000. The longer I take it the higher the risk. After ten years 1 in 10,000. So it's a crapshoot. I might rather deal with a broken hip than osteonecrosis. A guy I know fell and broke his and recovered fine. I think it's worse when you're older when you never walk again and it's all downhill from there. My MIL was wheelchair and nursing home bound for 11 years after a spontaneous hip fracture. Another person I know took the oral meds for ten years and had no problems. She was also taking related to side effects of cancer treatment.

Hard to know what the right thing is to do. You have to try to make an educated decision based on the risk benefit ratio in your own personal case. The endocrinologist I saw strongly recommended I continue due to my level of risk. So I am for now.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

I've been seeing a new chiropractor-I love this guy! He understands the chronic pain I have from so many traumatic injuries and he's helped get me to a point where it's tolerable and I don't need to medicate nearly as much. We discuss dietary changes, too-he's quite inspirational. I like that he treats me as an intelligent person and we commiserate about middle age getting the best of us at times.

I also ordered new eye glasses-I bought them on-line thru Zenni Optical and I'm tickled by them. So inexpensive-progressive bifocals were under $35 for the complete set! I'm allowing myself to accept that my body is middle aged-even if my brain isn't. All kinds of things you have to be aware of as you get older that you didn't think twice about in your 20's and 30's!

I have a dear, dear friend who is currently battling cancer. Her prognosis is not favorable and it scares me to no end to think I may lose her. It also was a kick in the pants to take live in the moment more. To tell people I love them, to literally stop and smell the flowers. To laugh more and to sing aloud and to step outside my comfort zone. We just do not know what tomorrow may bring. She had always prided herself on being fiscally responsible-to the point of putting off enjoyable things so as not to dip into her savings account. She ate very healthy, swam nearly every day, rarely drank alcohol, never smoked-didn't even allow herself to indulge in an occasional sweet treat. Then she got this out of the blue, fairly rare cancer and she may die too soon. She had just bought herself a brand new car-she was so proud that she did that-her very first new car-and was talking about buying a house-she's got the money to do these things, and she's single, no kids-so what was she holding on to all her money for? So she bought a fun new vehicle so she could go visit friends who lived out of town-and she never got the chance to put 50 miles on it.

So, I guess my healthy action is to live life as fully as I can while still being responsible, but know that one day-maybe sooner than planned-it could all go away.

Sorry to be a downer, but this has really been eating at me for a few months. Congrats to all who continue to care for themselves!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I was just thinking about this thread yesterday!

I'm up TEN pounds!! Somehow in the past month I had a super sneak attack...either that or it was the martnis and weekend food fests. I've been baking and cooking and eating it all.

So I'm on the program, planning and eating well. (as of yesterday..hahaha) Thankfully the weather is FINALLY looking up and I will be getting outside to walk. Eventually I want to join a gym, not sure which one.

I don't even want to look back at how many months I've been in the same boat.

The good news is that ski and Waffle season is over for the most part. We are open one more weekend at one location. I've got a couple of weeks before my waitressing gig starts up. My cousin who has become a fitness maniac is coming to visit for Easter weekend. It'll be good motivation I hope.

Beth P

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I'm up a few pounds too. After losing about 7-8 lbs last year about half of it has found its way back. Stress has been a factor as we had a crisis w/ oldest kid in Dec. and the last few months have been difficult. I am definitely a stress eater! So at the moment I'm concentrating (or trying to) on getting my eating back in check -- eliminating the "white stuff" really worked for me -- and also dealing with my mental state. Stress goes right to certain areas of my body -- grinding teeth, stiff shoulders/neck, twitchy eye. I need to fit regular massages into my schedule, I need to try meditation (reading the book "10% Happier" now and it's interesting), etc. I am going to see a Reiki practitioner next week! And now that the weather is improving, walks outdoors (I had been using my treadmill) are so nice.

I have two trips coming up in June, both of which involve bathing suits, so I need to quit the cookies NOW.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

gibby, you're right...medicine is all individualized...each person has their own needs, issues and choices to make based on their own circumstances.

pesky, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Hugs to you and healing thoughts and strength to her. Enjoy every minute with her, be they few or many.

sueb, if you want to try meditation, Oprah and Deepak Chopra are running a free 21 day guided meditation challenge again...the idea is that it takes 3 weeks to create a new habit. If you are interested, see link below. There are also free guided meditations on line, one I like is meditation oasis and another is fragrant heart.

Here is a link that might be useful: 21 day meditation

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Hi, ladies, thanks for starting the thread.

Pesky, I am sorry to hear about your friend.

Gibby, thank you for your update. You have been through so much.

I am doing OK, but stressed. Worked all weekend, including an open house at school and CPR renewal Sunday afternoon. Speaking of meditation, I need to be more consistent with that. SueB, I took a mindfullness based stress reduction (MBSR) course last spring--an 8-week course in person, and it was really helpful.

Weight is getting better. I am still getting the complimentary personal training/weights workout. Just got back this morning.

I've been having problems with my feet swelling. Yesterday and today seem to be better, though. Went to doctor, and no evidence of diabetes, kidney, liver, and my thyroid levels are normal. I'm not having any heart or breathing issues. I can do my my workouts and get my HR up to 85-90%.

Only things of concern were that my Vitamin D is better but still low, and my blood pressure seems to be in the prehypertension range, so I really need to get that down. I have a strong family history of hypertension, and with my age and weight, I really need to monitor it. I've been watching my sodium and following the principles of the DASH diet which is very high in fruits and vegetables. I also wonder if the feet can be a birth control pill issue. GYN mentioned me coming off this year. It's just really perplexing.

Doing well with trying to enjoy my hobbies more.

OK, I need to hit the shower and head into the office. I really enjoy this little piece of "me" time on Tu-Thurs mornings. It will be nuts once I get in.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Hello all,
    Thanks for sharing your news and updates. Everything here is same old, same old in a good way. I'm traveling so I'm doing plenty of walking. I wish I had my niece's energy (she's 6). Even after walking for miles, she still runs and jumps and skips. She's so enthusiastic and willing to try any activity. I do have her beat on a (much) wider range of foods I'll eat and being willing to try new foods.

Good luck meeting your health goals over the next few weeks. The longer daylight is certainly a bonus.