Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

"Pictures of People Who Mock Me"

anele_gw
10 years ago

If you have a chance, this is worth a read/view (photos).

"The idea of the âÂÂWait Watchersâ series came one day when I was shooting on the bleachers in Times Square. IâÂÂd been doing a series of photographs in which I sought out public spaces where IâÂÂm most uncomfortable, like swimming pools and restaurants (I always feel like IâÂÂm not âÂÂallowedâ to order fattening food).

Going through the film, I noticed an image with a man standing behind me. There he is, being photographed by a woman who appears to be quite beautiful, standing in the middle of the sensory assault that is Times Square. But at the moment the shutter is released, he is smirking at me. He clearly does not approve. This kind of moment had happened many times. Until that moment, I never thought I could capture it on film."

Here is a link that might be useful: Wait Watchers

Comments (29)

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Good for her for exposing those who mock, I equate it to a form of bullying, she is very brave for doing that, kudos to her.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

It makes me sad, because although I understand that for her this is a way of taking power, it is also giving those who mock her far too much power...she is structuring something creative around capturing images of hurtful and insulting moments caused by others. And in so doing, she is allowing those people to control her by setting them up as arbiters of HER art.

I think perhaps her goal might be better served to turn the camera on something that reflects joy or beauty that she sees, or people being kind or generous.

Just my thoughts.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Fascinating.

That's an interesting take, running. I have to say that I did not see it that way. To me it's if she turned the "mockers" eyes back on themselves. We feel repulsed by their reactions and behaviors, as they are behaving toward her. She gives them a taste if their own medicine.

Good for her!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

How does she know he's smirking at her? There are a million things happening in Times Square or in his head or in the relationship between him and his photographer, so how could she know that she's the reason for his smirk?

I don't condone bullying in any form but just looking at this picture, and not being there in person, I think her insecurities are making presumptions about him.

I admire her for pushing herself out of her comfort zone. And for getting us to think about our unfair reactions to others but I think she might also be having an unfair reaction.

Edited to add: I did not click on the link and read the blog. My reaction to her reaction is based on just what was posted here.

This post was edited by hhireno on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 8:51

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I agree with hhireno. Her conviction that the man is smirking at her comes from the same place as her feeling she is not "allowed" to order fattening food in a restaurant---- self loathing. This "art" may end up only contributing to her persecution paranoia. What a shame she is using her own interest to continue self sabotage.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I just went through her blog pictures. She's pathetic, and I mean that as "full of pathos." In some of the pictures she seems to be deliberately calling attention to something she is doing, or some pose she strikes that emphasizes her weight. In one, she chooses to bend over in the middle of a busy pedestrian sidewalk. Does she think people will not look at her there, or not be irritated that she is effectively blocking the sidewalk? In other photos people are smiling--- again, not necessarily at her. She is painfully egocentric. And if people averted their eyes, she would surely have a negative reaction to that, too.

This post was edited by kswl on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 9:42

• chispa
    10 years ago

I agree with kswl's and hireno's statements. They were the same conclusions that I reached when I first looked at the photo and then when I read the blog.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Seems as though in most of the photos she's deliberately exaggerating whatever pose, gesture, or action she's photographing. Deliberating going out of ones' way to *be*in the way, act ever more odd than usual, dressing strange, and making faces looking completely clueless, will certainly get you strange looks. It's clearly not a *wait* problem, but a "watch me get attention" problem.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

Narcissistic, self absorbed and trying to make herself the victim. Yuck! It is her inside, not her outside, that is the problem here.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Am I supposed to pretend that she is not dressed like a circus clown just because she is overweight?

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I'm really not sure that the people in the pictures are even looking at her. If I saw those pics without any context, it wouldn't even occur to me that those people are "mocking" her. I guarantee several shots were taken of each scene and cherry picked for what she wanted to convey.

Yes, she's looking for attention in a very sad way.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

What ugly sentiments. If you truly believe there are not callous immature people who do things like that, you are wrong.

This is what I hate about the internet.

• lakeaffect
    10 years ago

She seems to me to be simultaneously insecure and ego driven (as are many artists), and obviously love playing the victim, a role that so many people love to play and we, or at least our media, loves to shower attention on those alleged victims. One of many reasons who I avoid the MSM like the plague.

sandyponder

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Mine is not a sentiment. It is an opinion, based on the available facts at hand, which happen to be pictures. In this case I think the pictures are worth more than the thousand words they usually go for. Your opinion is different--- that's perfectly fine, but it doesn't make mine "ugly."

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Not one person on this thread is saying that cruel behavior doesn't happen. I should know, I've been "obese" since a child and I've had my share of cruel jokes directed at me.

In this particular instance, using my own powers of observation, I concluded that she is not being "mocked" in these photos. PERIOD.

Furthermore, look at the posted pic again. The girl taking the picture is standing too close to get the top of the guys head all the way down to the seated girls body. However, she is standing at an appropriate distance to get a picture of the guy and the subject matter above his head.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Yes, I would guess that she was trying to set up the situation to show the things she runs into so she could get a photograph of people being obnoxious. That's a fairly typical approach.

She did say she does not know what they are thinking, people will interpret them differently and that she is just trying to start a conversation.

I don't think it really matters much if she was able to capture it successfully on film or not. Her point was to call attention to extremely rude, callous and destructive behavior. She tried to include some photos of it. I don't doubt for a moment that people treat her differently or poorly or meanly based on her appearance and her low self esteem (which of course is the result of the values and negative attitudes ingrained our society).

What I'd love to know is what drives people like that. And why it's tolerated. Far more interesting a pathology.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

"Her point was to call attention to extremely rude, callous and destructive behavior. She tried to include some photos of it. "

The only rude behavior is hers. I don't see any callous behavior, but definitely (self) destructive behavior, again by the author. Her own pathology is on sad display.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting, interesting!

When I first saw the photos and read her thought process, I empathized with her and "saw" what she sees.

Then I went to a discussion on Snopes (before comments here), and many people brought what was mentioned here . . .that she may be misinterpreting looks, is making herself more obvious for attention, feels sorry for herself even though she says she does not care, etc.

I went to her blog to see more photos, and agreed that there is no conclusive evidence that people are mocking/staring/etc. They may be-- but may not be, and have no chance to defend themselves. This is the main downside I see to this project.

However, whatever your view is, I think this whole thing is making art active-- making us think. Having a discussion is the real point, no? For me, it has made me consider the idea of perspective on many levels. I appreciate that. To that end, I know I cannot judge ANYONE, even though the temptation is there (in general). Just as I can't say what others think of her, I cannot say I know what the artist REALLY thinks, her true motives, etc.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

She is not being rude by pointing out bad behavior. That's ridiculous. The photos might not be convincing people, real examples or not, but what she describes does exist. Just as other biases and prejudices do. She's not the first to try a study on it. She probably should have left her attempt at photographic proof out. Or videos might have worked better than subjective snapshots. I'd think it could set her up for a lawsuit too.

What is pathetic is that people can't see why their comments and attitude towards her is ugly.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I guess I'm surprised at how sceptical some of you are:

she did say "I do not know what the strangers are thinking when they look at me" but she is relying on how she feels by those looks, real or not.

I know many people who have related stories of times when they have been mocked, or have felt the looks of judgement of strangers on them : my gay hairdresser who naturally looks effeminate, my androgynous looking daughter , an obese friend , so I guess I am sympathetic of an exercise of photography that would seek to exorcize the feelings of disrespect those people felt.
    For me it's a valid process which I applaud.

I do catch myself sometimes judging others that I don't comprehend, so I'm not posting this because I never do it, I'm just trying to understand why this happens.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

The public mocking (if there is or was) with her is wrong. Still, she doesnâÂÂt look as though she brushed her hair, she looks unkempt and her cloths do not seem to fit or match. Yes I am judging because she does not seem to care at all about her appearance. Where does one draw the line on not judging? To me, since she hasnâÂÂt even bothered to fix her hair maybe she hasnâÂÂt washed either. Are we also not supposed to judge people if they smell like BO? She has done everything to draw attention to herself by lack of caring at all about her appearance; IâÂÂm surprised she didnâÂÂt have a great big hat on with a giant daisy sticking out the top in every picture.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I didn't think she looked that much heavier than the average American. She carries extra weight in her upper arms, but that's about it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I only looked at the link quickly, but how is she taking these pictures if she's in them?

I also agree with hhireno, kswl and jterrilynn.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

"However, whatever your view is, I think this whole thing is making art active-- making us think. Having a discussion is the real point, no? For me, it has made me consider the idea of perspective on many levels. I appreciate that. To that end, I know I cannot judge ANYONE, even though the temptation is there (in general). Just as I can't say what others think of her, I cannot say I know what the artist REALLY thinks, her true motives, etc. "

Well said, Anele! Art is an expression of the world through one person's eyes--it is intended to provoke a reaction. It's not often explained or completely understood (if at all).. but it's always judged.

Not unlike each of us.

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

I had to keep looking at that photo to see what on earth she was talking about. I didn't know she was in the photo at first. I think it looks like the guy is giving a 'dude smile/smirk' and BLINKING when the photo was taken.

"Deliberating going out of ones' way to *be*in the way, act ever more odd than usual, dressing strange, and making faces looking completely clueless, will certainly get you strange looks."

You betcha.

She says," I look worse with tons of make up and products in my hair."
    Yeah, most people do. This supposedly isn't important to her, but if the right person just would show her how, I bet she'd like what she saw in the mirror better.

The article comes across like she's trying hard to convince everyone she's ok with herself.

• carriem25
    10 years ago

I am a fat 40 year old woman. Fatter than the woman in the article.

I rarely feel that people are making fun of me in public. Quite the opposite, actually. I seem to be the kind of woman that people ask favours of ("Could you watch my cart for a sec?"), seek directions from, or strike up conversations with. My teenage daughter is often surprised by the details that other people share with me, seemingly randomly.

Yes, I'm fat. But I've been married 18 years, have two beautiful children, and I'm pretty happy overall. I think it shows. I don't need to try and "catch" people being mean - most of the time, I'm catching them being kind.

Carrie

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

Tough room.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

This woman's size is well within the norms of the population of the city I live in. I think she has other issues going on.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I don't thin she is happy with herself and is looking for something (else) to be bitter about and to get attention.

That's my arm-chair analysis.