Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

o
And so it begins...wedding guest dress

Posted by AnnieDeighnaugh (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 23:21

We have a wedding to go to in the end of April and I'm starting to work on what to wear. It's an odd time of year as it could be cold, raining and in the 40s or it could be sunny and in the 70s. Also the wedding will be on a farm with the reception in an historic barn. Bride has requested we wear, "rustic glam. Don't worry, we're not sure what that means either. Somewhere around cocktail party and not-quite-black-tie." She also recommends wedges for the grassy terrain. The wedding is at 4:30 and the reception will run into the evening.

So I started looking on line and swear I've seen 1,000 dresses of which only a few might work. I really like the looks of this Escada. But certainly not the price and not the red.

So that means making one. What I like about this one is the fit and the shape and the neckline that allows for a nice necklace and the emphasis on the shoulder. But I'm not finding a pattern I can use or easily adapt. So my work begins. I have all those beads left over from the veil, so I'm thinking I could add beading to the shoulders if I wanted to.

Am I heading in the right direction? I'm concerned that if I go with a jacket with the dress, I'll be too mother of the bride...but then again, with the weather and the night time hours, I'm sure I'll want something to cover up.

What say ye?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: And so it begins...wedding guest dress

And what is it with the lousy fabrics...even the very expensive dresses are made of all kinds of stuff like nylon and elastane? Does anyone make a dress made out of comfortable fabrics any more? Just another reason to make my own....

o

I wouldn't go with a jacket. I would take a large scarf to use as a wrap if you need it. I used one when I was MOTB last September. Very in style now.

Linda

o

Bride's mother had her wedding here at our place...it was quite the 70s wedding....the bride wore a lovely traditional gown and veil, the girls had on matching floral skirts with different colored tops. The bride broke out in hives from nerves before the wedding and had red spots on her.The groom never thought about what to wear so ended up wearing the bride's sister's off white pants and tunic outfit she got when she was in Thailand and he was barefoot and the men wore whatever they had on, including, as I recall, one in a polyester leisure suit. The dog followed the wedding party down the "aisle." The setting was lovely under the old apple trees and the brass quintet playing baroque music wafted around the property. Really something. And they're still married after all these years....

o

This is interesting because there is an old barn near here that has suddenly become the most popular location for weddings/receptions, and I'll get to experience it first-hand in June. It makes me wonder... do you know whether the barn is heated???

Regarding the new materials used, I know what you mean! But I think their advantage is that they don't wrinkle, and they have just the right amount of 'give'/stretch to look more flattering on a less-than-perfect fit or figure.

In this situation, I would find/take both a jacket and a pashmina that could be worn with the dress, but I HATE to be cold. :)

o

I don't love the dress. I know you are talking a different color and some ornamentation, but it still looks flight-attendanty to me. Or Dr. Spock somehow. I think id like a more traditional neckline. Do you know what necklace you plan to wear? IMHO a very simple dress like that needs a substantial piece of jewelry, like a Wilma Flintstone pearl choker?

o

I don't know whether the barn is heated or not...would be worthwhile checking....

I like the idea of a wrap of some sort...I have a very large chinese silk scarf that I could knot...only thing is it has fall colors in it. Somehow, after 30+ years of being in business, every time I put on a jacket, I think work, not play. I know it depends on the jacket, but still....

Flight attendant...hmmm....not exactly the look I had in mind. I was hoping more Princess Kate who always dresses very classy with simple lines. My tastes run to the classic simple lines, not a lot of froufrou...and boy do they get froufrou these days. Other constraints are I don't want to emphasize my large bosom and do need to be able to wear a good supportive bra with straps, and I like it to come to the knees....too old for knees to show. I have an hour glass shape, but have to be careful that narrowing at the waist doesn't give me big bottom. Also at 5'4" I'm not tall and can't be overwhelmed by the dress.

I'm open to suggestions...

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 16:07

o

Mtn your descriptions nearly made me spit out my coffee.

Annie, to me that dress says "office vamp." If you want something more tailored than the usual wedding attire I would suggest a washed linen sheath dress worn with a pretty beaded cardigan or printed silk cardigan. Hem to the knees and low heels for barn locale. And a nice string of non-Flintstone pearls, lol!

o

Office vamp? Oh dear. I'll tell you, we never had office vamps dress like that...they usually had their boobs nearly fall out when they leaned over the bosses desk. And we did have one gal who was truly Mrs. H'Wiggins come to life....

o

I like kswl's ideas. Love linen, or even if you don't choose linen, a beaded cardigan would be great.

I, too, about had a mess with spit out tea over these descriptions. DR. SPOCK???!!! LOL

Have you tried any of the wrap dresses? Also, with a dress like above, you have to think about arms. By that I mean having toned arms, ready to bare.

tina

o

Annie, lol!!! Some of the "office attire" I see in movies and on television shows does feature an awful lot of cleavage, but I always assumed that no one IRL would wear anything like that in a professional environment. It seems I've lived an oddly sheltered life!

o

Have you gone shopping and tried things on yet? I'd start with the local mall/shops----Macy's, Lord and Taylor, Nordstrom, etc..and then if I couldnt find anything look online. Last resort would be making something...if it doesnt turn out right then you're really stuck.

o

Oh, with Annie, it'll turn out right!

Annie, you know what styles work for you ... do we have to reprise the headless woman portfolio? I think you should pick the style, and let us chime in on color and accessories!

I say no beading btw. It can look matronly, esp IMHO for guests rather than the WP. How about a Judith Leiber clutch! : )

o

I'm laughing at Mtn's description too, but I like the dress, just not the color for the wedding. It would be perfect on me, lol! I'm almost 5'9" and love the neckline and the length. I have a wedding in the middle of May at 6 pm and it won't require formal attire either. It's always hard for me to find something that doesn't hit me at the middle of the thigh these days. Why is everything so skimpy in length, even the expensive dresses at Nordstrom and Neimans? I find a few but some look way too matronly. Rant over.

Annie, if you are 5'4, have you tried Ann Taylor or WH/BM? Considerably more reasonable and they have some things that might work for you. With sleeves.

o

o.m.g - you should see what people wear in the office. Sometimes I am speechless. I am not talking kids either. Women in their late 30's that look so inappropriate. Everyone talks about them. I guess they dont' care.

o

I used to sew....and had more than one disaster....lol, hence, my word of caution.

o

Modcloth has or had a cute cropped cardigan sweater linked below, in a cream color with honey colored beads, and there are a few Kate Spade beaded sweaters at Neiman Marcus on sale, including a really pretty coral one. It all depends on the cut and style, although it's true that beading on super large busted women can look dowager-ish.

A sweater or wrap of some sort would seem to be a necessity at a barn wedding in April in New England. It may as well be fancy :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mod cloth cardi

o

For what it's wroth Annie, I love the dress. Great lines, stylish neckline. And as a woman with a similar build, I know that shape is a good one for us. (Office vamp? Only if it's too tight or too low cut. Flight attendant? If in navy, perhaps.)

I'd also suggest a change in color, and yeah, finding the right fabric will be a challenge. (Fabric stores aren't what they used to be, that's for sure! Cheap tacky fabrics at surprisingly high prices!)

But if you can find the right fabric - something with nice body and drape (wool knit or crepe perhaps?) in an appropriate color (not red, not navy), I'd think that dress with a large scarf or pashmina would be very attractive and versatile. Or a bolero?

Good luck!

o

I will rent the Judith L minaudiere from you for my great niece's June wedding. No one will notice my dress.

o

When I think "rustic glam" I think of Green Acres and Eva Gabor. I think there needs to be a feather boa and diamond earrings and a classic sheath dress in the mix somewhere.

I also think that it is less than kind of the Happy Couple to give a dress code that they can't define.

If you want to dress like Princess Kate, may I suggest the website below? In addition to showing most of the outfits she wears on public appearances, they also go into detail on the designers she uses and other offerings from those designers. (And some of the clothes are actually affordable for those of us not married to royalty.) There's a lot of info there that could help you choose a suitable outfit.

And Kate loves a good coat. You might be able to do a simple dress with a lovely spring coat over it.

Here is a link that might be useful: what kate wore

o

I haven't looked at dressy clothing since last year, so I'm not sure what's "In" and "Out". You may be set on a dress, but ~just thinking~ what about a beautiful, dressy pair of slacks with a lovely, elegant tunic? The slacks I'm thinking of are like a pair I have myself. They're black crepe, wider legged and flowy. They look great with a number of my dressy tops. Anyhoo, just another idea.
Lynn

o

kswl, your description of a linen sheath dress with a cardi just screams old lady to me....I certainly don't want to look older than I am...I have a nice shape and still want to show it off a little.

Just what I need, mtn, a $2500 clutch....I think that's more than the book value of my car! And $900 for a dress I will wear once...I think I paid less than that for my chair and ottoman including the reupholstery which I will enjoy for many years to come. Amazing. The little cost/benefit calculator in my head is hitting the red zone!
;)

And don't worry, the headless woman will be back before this is all over, I'm sure!

Thanks Lynn, but I live in pants...actually jeans...and I look forward to an opportunity to dress it up a little....though I'm old lady enough that I'll probably wear stockings....(well, if it's ok for Princess Kate...)

camlan, thanks for the link. I've also found another one that's called Katemiddletonstyle where they show her outfit and then something more moderate in ready to wear that they call "duplikate".

Thanks sweebee, my dh and my GFs all liked the dress, so we're not alone.

joanie, it's been awhile since I've made a dress for myself, but I don't think I've lost it..at least not yet. Though I no longer have my Mom around to consult with should I get into trouble...she had the real sewing talent.

outsideplaying, My GF needs to wardrobe up for a trip to Spain in April so we are talking about hitting the outlets...they have an Ann Taylor there so I'll take a look. The WHBM tends to have just black and white and I don't really like either for a wedding, though they have some nice things for sure.

tinam, my upper arms are reasonably slender so I don't have a problem with them. Wrap dresses can be nice, but I worry they lean too casual for an evening wedding, even if it's in a barn. Linen always looks wrinkled and bent. While some find it charming, it's not my thing. Also, I think of linen as a summer outfit...I suspect I'll need something warmer than that.

o

Old lady? Hmmmm, I think Nicole Miller, Kate Spade, Vince Camuto, Anne Klein and a host of other designers may disagree! They all show sheath dresses for spring.... the one below is stretch linen from Nicole Miller. It also comes in a lovely terra cotta color. Dolce & Gabbana has a printed silk sheath at net a porter that's lovely.

o

I absolutely agree with KSWL a sheath dress can be lovely and stylish-- and far from old ladyish. It's all in what you pair with it.

I attended a reception at a farm many years ago-- they had the dinner under a large event tent and had dance floor installed on the grounds between the tent and the pool. It was a lovely plan-- except that the night before we got torrential rains! The tables, which had already been set with china started sinking/listing dropping lots of the china to the ground. Worse, the ground was SO went that the bride ended up swapping her lovely beaded slippers (worn for the reception only) for a pair of hiking boots! I ruined a pair of shoes that night-- but it was a great time! BTW I was in my early thirties and the maid of honor. We all wore gray linen sheath dresses and pearls... did not feel frumpy at all and I appreciated that I got so much wear from the bridesmaid dress (which also cost less than $200)!

PS.. I've seen photos of weddings done at the Wright Farm (near Falling Water) and the were gorgeous-- truly "rustic elegant".

o

I am perplexed at where you are finding these expensive dresses or think that there is no other alternative but to make one. (which to me says "homemade")
I can find a bazillion nice dresses in the 200-400 range and that's even high, all over the place.
I love modcloth, the prices are cheap , the quality is juniorish but for a single event or two, great. if you only want to spend 100 or less, it's a good place to look.

o

kswl, yes, I pictured old lady, sheath dress, embellished cardigan. Perhaps not what you intended, but what your description brought to mind.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 19:02

o

How about this lace number?

Here is a link that might be useful: mulberry lace

o

Annie, I was thinking about that designer. And, lace. I like the mulberry but not sure if that exact style would be good for you. It's worth a try.
I know you said you might only wear the dress you buy once, but a simple lace dress would look nice going out to dinner too.

o

I have to be careful with sheath dresses in that they tend not to fit over my hips and butt.

I love the red dress you posted originally, but I would not wear that to a barn wedding. I would think more creatively and wear maybe a longer skirt with a top (maybe white) and wedge shoes.

The barn probably has gas lamp heaters?

o

It was Annie's description of her underwear needs that had me spitting my coffee......

"and do need to be able to wear a good supportive bra with straps, and I like it to come to the knees....too old for knees to show"

Seriously, I am a similar height and shape as you, Annie, and love well fitting dresses, especially those with a great neckline. Would any of the new arrival dresses at White House Black Market be special enough for the occasion? The latest WHBM color is coral.

o

Thanks ellendi....around here, when we go out to a nice restaurant I'm stunned to see people in shorts and tshirts, even for dinner! If I wear a dress at all I'm a one of a kind. I can't imagine wearing lace to dinner...

gsciencechick...that's the advantage of making it for yourself...you can tailor according to your needs. But I do have to be careful...if the skirt is too straight, it makes my butt look larger and it makes it harder to sit comfortably. I will have to call the barn place tomorrow and find out if it is heated....

o

Annie, you know I am kidding about the JL clutch. NM has 27 clutches under 150.

I like the hot pink sheath best. I think a simple fabric in a striking color is always a nice look. Add a nice cashmere shawl, shoes, purse, you are good to go. Like this one:

The lace sheath is ok but I think both lace and beading can very easily start to read old lady. Not always, but it is a risk IMHO.

PS Both Virgin and Austrian airlines have FA in red dresses. Most disturbing, is the Austrian airlines FA's wear bright red hose! DH and I actually flew them once. I may have suffered permanent retina damage.

o

Lovely dress kswl and a beautiful stand-out color. The only thing about that dress that would make me pause (for Annie) is she described herself as "busty" (my word) and I think a v-neck or at least a lower neck would work better there.

Kate wears some lovely outfits, but I'm thinking she is taller, she's not hourglass and how old?

It is a bit perplexing that the bride/groom specified the dress - I just can't picture a dressy dress for a barn.

o

Annie, do you have a Marshall's nearby? I just picked up 2 Calvin Klein dresses similar to the first one you posted. I disagree that it looks like Dr. Spock. I like the neckline, it offers a modern twist on a plain dress.

Here is a pic of the one I just bought, in cobalt blue. The other is a black peplum dress by Calvin Klein as well. I was in Lord and Taylor today and the Calvin Klein section still had my cobalt dress in Kelly green.

Good luck!

And I would definitely go with a wedge. Nine West has several out this season that are very comfortable and trendy as well. It's hard for me to find both, usually they lack comfort.

o

I went to a barn wedding recently. The bride wore a country-ish dress and cowboy boots. The groom wore boots too. Everyone else pretty much looked like any other wedding.

o

LOL sis3! I completely missed that! Reminds me of the old Phyllis Diller line: My MIL had a pain under her left breast...turned out to be a trick knee!

Yes, mtn, I know you were kidding...I'm set in the handbag department, but the one you posted is lovely.

tinam, busty doesn't quite do it....my girls are a 34F! And I agree about the dress kswl posted....when I try on dresses that bunch like that, it's because they don't fit well. I know it's intentional there, but I'd feel like I look like a wrinkled mess. I have to be very careful about ruching and gathers and pleats and where they're placed.

Looks like they deck the barn out nicely for evening weddings...

o

polly, your dress is pretty....love the color...it's a good one for me... and I like the interesting neckline. I haven't actually gone shopping yet...just looking on line for inspiration and trying to get my head around the look I should be going for. I'll probably start shopping in earnest soon.

o

So I'm going through Vogue Patterns on line and there is this ad on the right side of the page. This is a very similar dress to the red one I posted initially, but in very different fabrics. Of course this is too bride looking for it to be appropriate, but I thought it was interesting to see how the fabrics can change the look. Certainly not office vamp or flight attendant. The bad news is, the link takes you to a website full of dresses, of which, I can't even find this one. Go figure. (Sorry for the size and blurriness of the image...I can't adjust it if it's uploaded.)

o

I don't know if you are familiar with Steinmart, but they have some online closeouts that are beautiful and incredibly discounted. The gray and white dress is just beautiful, but they're all lovely--- and eminently re-wearable. There are even a few lace dresses. All are limited sizes and availability, but you might get lucky :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Steinmart Dress Closeout

o

funky art, the weather is my concern too...though presumably if it rains and the ground is soggy, they'll have the wedding in the barn too.

bumblebeez, I understand that there are choices between expensive dresses and making one, but if I find one that I really like at too high a price, I certainly can make it for less. While that is not an option for everyone, it is for me.

If I said that instead of making it myself, I would have it custom made, would that've given you a different impression? I know you don't know me or my work, but I can assure you the clothes I make don't look "home made". The garments I make are custom fit, well tailored and constructed a lot better and more carefully than the majority of the crap you find in stores. And when you make it yourself, you can make it exactly as you want color wise, fabric wise, fit wise, etc. You can bring your own unique touch and creativity to the outfit.

Why is it that home sewn carries a negative connotation and home cooked does not? Sewing is a wonderful, creative skill and art that unfortunately is waning. Granted there are bad outfits created by bad sewers, but there are probably even more lousy meals created by bad cooks. And when home sewing is done well, it can exceed anything off the rack.

o

Thanks a lot kswl.

Perhaps I should just go straight to feed sack. After all, it is vintage!

o

How about a pretty print instead? For spring?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kay Unger paneled stretch satin print

o

Home sewn doesn't have a negative connotation with me. It is haute couture. But I come from 2 generations of exquisite taste and talent in clothing and design. I wore the stuff, but I never learned to make it.

o

That feedsack dress is priceless! And I can easily imagine some 20 something wearing it with doc martens, and probably looking adorable.

That Kay Unger dress...the print is very nice, but that "stretch satin" looks an awful lot like spandex.

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 9:57

o

Annie, I too love the dress. It looks like the Roland Mouret dress that was so popular a few years ago. Vogue came out with a few patterns that were very similar.
Do you follow the sewing blogs? Do you know of Sarah, who is part of the Mood Sewing Network Bloggers, who has been posting recently about creating a MOB dress? GoodBye Valentino blog She's had a lot of good ideas presented to her since she asked for them. I like what she's picking in the eventuality, since it is So her.

I created both the dresses for my mother-of-the-groom weddings and the reception dress for the poolside rehearsal dinner for one of my sons. In fact, I sew all my clothes, many of my stepdaughters sorority dresses, prom dresses, etc.
I'm certain that you have the skills, based upon what I've read here since registering, to create a dress that doesn't look "happy hands at home". ;-)
As far as fabrics, you live in proximity to NYC don't you?
In addition to Mood there is Mendel-Goldberg, the go-to place for special fabrics, Elliot Berman has a wonderful selection of good quality fabrics, and there are a few more sources who's names are escaping me at the moment.
Online sources that you will not go wrong with are EmmaOneSock.com - tell Linda what pattern you're looking at and what the look is and ask her for some swatches. Her fabric is all top-quality. There is also GorgeousFabrics.com - again, tell Ann what you're doing and ask for recommendations. Ann Steeves owns Gorgeous Fabrics, and she's written articles for I believe Threads and Vogue Patterns Magazine.

I'll email you if you have your account set up to accept emails. I have a rather prodigious stash of sewing patterns and I can send you pics of those that are in the same category as the dress you posted above. You are welcome to borrow any that might work for you.

o

Annie, I can't email you. If you email me at mlweaving at gmail dot com I will get back to you with pics of patterns That I have.
Just a thought - this is a current Marfy Pattern. Is it too formal for guest of wedding, what do you think?

This is an OOP Vogue pattern, still available on their website - and I have it, which you would be welcome to use -

view A without that awful sleeve would come close to the first dress you posted. If you wanted to eliminate the waist seam that would be easy at the flat pattern stage.

I just looked through the Vogue Patterns website. Wow the choices right now are dismal, compared with 4 years ago where I wanted (and bought) almost all the new offerings in dresses.

o

Thank you so much mlweaving! I will certainly check out those blogs. Thank you too for your kind offer of lending me your pattern. I will absolutely take you up on your offer when and if I get to that stage. And I agree, the choices in patterns has gotten pretty dismal. You're absolutely right about how horrible those sleeves are on that dress! But sleeveless, it looks pretty close to the Escada. The only thing I need to be careful about is I whether or not that neckline is too broad for a bra with straps. The one thing I don't want to do is end up spending the entire wedding adjusting myself.

Thank you too for letting me know that there are others who still practice that fine art of home fashion design. I'm sure those dresses you made were absolutely gorgeous. I've had fun sewing all kinds of things including men's dress shirts to bathing suits to bridal party and formal evening wear and of course lots and lots of window treatments and pillows and table cloths. Of course my latest project, the bridal veil was extra fun. I even made a custom pool cue case once....

o

This is another that I've saved because I love it adn think it's elegant. It's a simple sheath with a modified neckline and cap sleeve, with guipure lace overlay. If you have a good sheath pattern altered to fit you, this would be easy to re-create.
I know some might find this matronly... I love it, and think that for women of a certain age, not in our 30's or 40's anymore, it's flattering.

When I needed a Chantilly lace for the back bodice of the MOG dress, I wrote to Michael of Michaels fabrics in Baltimore. He sent me swatches and I chose a beautiful french Chantilly lace in a deep raisin color. I was able to find the perfect match in a silk charmeuse at a fabric store in northern Michigan that has since gone out of business. Pure serendipity. If you have a vision you will likely be able to source the fabrics.

o

Annie, I love your wardrobe posts!

I too tend to go simple, classic and hopefully elegant. I do like the Escada and the Kate Unger dresses.

I could only dream about being able to practice the fine art of home fashion design. I attempted to make a skirt in Sewing 101 in high school 49 years ago (when I was 17) and the only reason my teacher didn't fail me was because she didn't want my GPA to suffer :-).

I truly envy you and mlweaving.

o

I've never sewn clothing (other than home ec and a few little projects), but I do enjoy making pillows, some curtains, etc. - things for the home.

I have seen some beautiful, quality "home sewn" items. My mom and my grandmother both did beautiful work. My mom especially. I remember one year she made my sister and I "Gunny Sax" dresses. Does anyone remember those? Oh my, they were beautiful. I loved those dresses and that particular year, my dad was on strike right around the holidays. Dad had a good job with Union Carbide, but I can remember a few times when he would be on strike. (He was union.) Anyhoo, mom stayed home with us 3 kids, and not wanting to spend the $$$ on gunny sax dresses, she bought two gunny sax patterns. She picked the fabrics to suit us. Mine was mostly red/black/cream prints. Rows of trim (ribbons/lace) and tiny tucks. My sisters was navy with a tiny pinkish/mauve flower. Ruffled/pleated layer peeking from the hem. I still have my dress - in my cedar chest. It is something I will never forget. Those dresses were admired by many. They were gorgeous and so was my mom's handwork. You would have never guess they had not been bought for $$$.

So, I do appreciate custom sewing. Fabric around here, sadly, is hard to find. We have very few places that offer fabric for clothing.

Thankful my mom and grandmother taught me to sew! Sadly, I do not have the talent they have. But it's a skill that has come in very handy and I enjoy a little sewing project from time to time.

tina

o

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here but I thought the requested attire is 'rustic glam'.
Everything I've seen and most of what I've read here is the antithesis of rustic anything.

Of course, you should wear what makes you comfortable but I don't see a sheath as comfortable or rustic.
The last thing the dress should be is clingy and form fitting - nothing rustic about that in the least.

Think flowing, vintage style, simple, natural fabrics or not, fitted bust or not, long or short but not a straight on form fitting, corporate, mainstream, cocktail party/wedding look.

If you like vintage anything, now is the time to indulge in a little fantasy of your own.

o

mlw, we are in the same groove for sure.... I love that dress, shapely yet elegant and the black with the gold lace is wonderful. The dress you made sounds great too. Raisin lace...so unique and so special.

Thank you, marlene. I'm always afraid I'm abusing people's patience with my wardrobe pathologies.

I do remember the gunny sax dresses. It was amazing how much money you could save doing it yourself back then. Not so much any more. Now it is a lot about fit and quality and design. It's so much cheaper to buy every day clothes now. But you can still save money on sewing home decor items for sure.

So I went out to Macy's today and what a disappointment. I did try on the mulberry lace dress and it wasn't very flattering...the mulberry was too wintry looking for april. I also tried on a stretch lace ralph lauren but it was a navy yawner. The vast majority of dressy dresses are still black and I'm so sick of black. Especially for a wedding...especially in the spring.

The nicest dress I found was this Ellen Tracy (interesting that it's no longer available at Nordstroms and was new on the rack at Macy's.)

I liked the print (figure I could wear a solid jacket with it if it's cold) thought it was springy for an april wedding, the fabric felt nice...a solid weight to it, very satiny. I love the back opening too....a little surprise element. But the bad news was the fit was terrible...through the waist and hips was fine, but the top was swimming on me, and the amount of altering I'd have to do would make it worthwhile to start from scratch.

But my search has just begun. I'm ever hopeful.

o

I think the requests for a certain type of attire are absurd on the face t it, as you really cannot dictate what your guests wear. I am thinking those instructions were meant to prepare the guests for the rustic nature of the venue, maybe some mud and straw in the barnyard, instead of saying "leave the Jimmy Choos at home." Second, unless the guests want to embrace Ralph Lauren at his Western romantic worst, who makes or sells natural fiber clothes with real pearl buttons, or cowgirl skirts of leather and lace, or velvet peplum jackets that fit over tweed riding skirts?

I say Annie wears a gorgeous lace dress with cowboy boots!

o

Pres Du Lac, the bride went on to say somewhere around cocktail party and not quite black tie, so that suggests her wishes that it be more formal than the venue would suggest. I think the fact that it's an evening wedding also suggests formality. As the photo above shows, the barn looks quite nice. This is not a working farm, but an historic site.

kswl, I was watching one of those bridal dress shows and the bride to be actually wore her cowboy boots to try on dresses. It looked soooo bad with the lovely formal gowns she donned.

o

Annie, could you make the floral? I have a dress with the same back. What was a nice surprise is that the opening was above the bra strap.
I don't like the print, maybe a solid in your favorite brighter color? Also, could you make the skirt a but fuller? I think this style would look fine with the wedge shoe that was requested.

o

How about this marfy!

I could do an embellished or fancy fabric for the shoulders and get fancy coordinating buttons on the front....cinched in enough to give me a waist but loose fitting enough to not give me too much booty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marfy F3366

o

Annie: I was just on the White House Black Market site looking for a dress for my son's graduation. They have this nifty new tool to look at their dresses: you can opt to watch a video of a skinny young thing walking in the dress and turning around. It's a wonderful way of seeing the movement of the dress. Check it out. Some pretty dresses too.

o

Tinam--my wedding gown (1980) was either a Gunne Sax or a look a like. Oh how I loved that style.

Annie--just wear something you feel comfortable in and shoes that are comfortable. You might find yourself sitting on hay bales! I might wear something like this with a short little boot. We are in barn country. Lucky you have good arms and b****, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dress

o

I have no doubt that anything you choose to make will be absolutely stunning, Annie. I wish I could sew expertly like you can! I love that gold and black one with the lace bodice, and think it would be flattering on most body types. I would probably do it in a matching fabric/lace. Lace is still very "in" for spring.

I don't know if you have one near you, but I have gotten several fabulous dresses for both myself and DD (sorority functions) at Neiman's Last Call - Kay Unger, Carmen Marc Valvo, DVF, Tadashi, etc. for amazing prices. You do need to check over them carefully, like at any discount place. Good luck in your quest!

o

IMHO prints tend to look casual.

I would have a little more fun with the theme. Whatever you wear, it should include really cute cowboy boots if you can pull it off.

o

I checked and found out that the barn is heated, but no AC.

o

Tina and Red---I wore a Gunny Sax wedding gown in 1981! With a big hat! I was determined I didnt want to spend a lot of $$..I think it was $100. Of course, compared to today's dresses, it is pretty laughable. If I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't choose that dress and would probably spend quite a bit more!

Annie...I'm liking everything posted.....well, maybe not the real gunny sack dress..lol. Im sure anything you pick or make will be very suitable and look great!

o

Annie, the Marfy you posted looks a bit more casual to me. I see linen when I look at that pattern, and topstitching.
Having seen the pics of the "barn" and having the bride specify between cocktail and black tie, I'm thinking I'd want to veer on the side of a bit more formal. You could make that dress look a bit dressier, using a crepe maybe, but IDK, it doesn't really make my heart sing wanting to make it.

How do you feel about off the shoulder? This is in the MarfyIT catalogue. I have friends who order from Marfy Italy all the time. Choices are much better than just what McCalls brings over.

Here is a link that might be useful: MarfyIT

o

Mlw, portraits are very gracious and they look great for girls like me with big girls, but they are hard to wear with a jacket and I can't wear a bra with straps.

The Marfy I posted was Italian...they do have great lines. Thanks for suggesting Marfy...I don't typically look there.

o

Ditto the Neiman's last call. But I did get an e-mail from WHBM today and saw a couple. This one in particular (minus the flower on the waist). There was another in pink with scallops (a sheath) that was nice too but it looked a bit short. However, Annie, if you are still looking at sheaths, you, at 5'4" could probably wear it.

o

Thanks, outside playing. That one looks vintage to me...very similar to what I used to wear growing up. I agree, the flower has to go, but it certainly looks comfortable.

o

http://www.lightinthebox.com/Sheath--Column-V-neck-Knee-length-Chiffon-Lace-Mother-of-the-Bride-Dress-_p51968.html

It's light in the box, and they will Tailor cheap.
You said not mother of the brideish, but on this website if it has more material the a handkerchief it's labeled motb...

o

Grantph, thanks. I like the lace and solid, but it looks like all that ruching even adds volume to the slender model...not something I need....

o

Annie, I am in awe of your talents. I am very excited thinking about the possibilities for your dress!

Have you considered shantung? I am envisioning something in this color:

(A bold, clean green)

but with a v neck.

Or, a simple black dress.

o

Anele, where is that green dress from? It's gorgeous.

o

Thanks Anele...that green dress is gorgeous. I'm reluctant to do black for a wedding though. Especially since it's spring, I'd prefer a spring color or print.

o

So I went dress shopping again and I am miserable. Part of it is realizing that in addition to her knees, I also have my mother's tush!

Last year I found so many dresses I liked. This year, nada. I went to Marshall's and saw a dress I really liked...pretty print, Ralph Lauren...but it was last season's, they only had one and it was way too small.

Sigh.

I'll hit the outlets next week and hopefully do better....

o

I know how discouraging this can be but be strong and persist, I"m sure you'll uncover a gem soon.

I went through this last year for DD's wedding, my first try ons were depressing….

o

Polly and Annie, the dress is from an Etsy seller who does customs (link below).

Per your original dress above, Annie, I thought you were looking for a form-fitting dress. However, the seller has several other styles, including this one. I think the V-neck would be very flattering on you; this is a lovely silhouette (made to measure):

I always love the look of an A-line. Not a bad price for a custom, either ($198)!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kimera Design

This post was edited by anele on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 17:40

o

I love that dress that Anele posted. And as a fellow curvy gal with an abundance of boobs and tush, I can say that it likely would be very flattering. Cinched in at the waist to give you a shape and emphasize your curves. Slightly a-line so it skims over the booty. Seems like a pretty simple design (says the non-sewer) so maybe you could find a pattern to make yourself so you can make sure it fits.

o

I am enjoying this thread, you are all so helpful! I super love the dress Anele just posted!

Beth P.

o

I agree - Anele that is the best dress so far!

o

Anele...love it! It is dressy, but not too dressy. Spring-y but not too spring-y. Conservative yet sharp and easy to wear a bra and a sweater/jacket cover up, plenty of room for a nice necklace....

As I continue to struggle with the fact that the hips are a size larger than my shoulders, making it myself may be the only solution, and that style certainly would be very doable. Thanks for the suggestion!

o

I am looking forward to seeing the finished project, whatever you decide!

I looked last night for a pattern like this for you, but gave up quickly because I don't think I know where to look for the higher quality ones! :)

o

Actually I did some looking and I came across one that I think is similar. It won't look the same to a non-sewer, but the seam lines are similar...princess seams, empire waistline, a-line skirt. I can adjust the neckline to a V if I want like in anele's pic, or I can leave it as is. What I really like is, in View C, it has the straight line at the armscye. I can actually make the center front and back pieces on the bodice out of a different fabric if I want...or I can add a lace overlay (I have all that extra alencon lace from the veil...maybe I could dye it to match....)

I can feel those creative juices starting to flow again.

o

Creative juices flowing . . .yes!!!

That is what it's all about! So many possibilities!

o

How about this one? Good for day wedding into evening reception? On trend with the lace, but more modern than old fashioned?

o

The thing that makes that dress modern is the length. The proportions would be all wrong if the length is below the knee. (This based on a comment upthread you made about your knees, not disparaging them myself!)

o

Just had to comment that when I read "rustic glam" my thoughts immediately went to "Midwestern Hayride" circa 1963 (anyone else ever see that show? sort of a regional version of Grand Ol' Opry). Ah, for the days of locally produced television!

But I am sure you don't want to go there!

o

On me, it would probably be to the knee...I'm too long-waisted to be a petite but too short to be a miss....

o

Annie, have you tried Cachet stores? They used to be very blingy, but they now have a nice selection of dresses, many of them knee length and good prices.

o

Thanks chispa, I looked at their dresses on line and it looks like they are well worth a visit. I'm just concerned that their dresses are a tad to slim fitting...I'd have to try them to see how they look. But a lot of their dresses look very pretty.

o

This past week, gf and I headed to the outlets. Slim pickings with dresses, and of those I kinda liked, none of them fit me. They looked just awful. So today I went to Joann's and bought some fabric that is almost like a sari with borders on the selvedges. If it works out as planned, I will have one good lookin' dress for about $20. If it doesn't work out, I can try again or dig something out of the closet which will be good enough....

But I have a fair amount of work to do now. It's been quite a few years since I made myself a dress....wish me luck!

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 20:45

o

Annie, based on your other talents with the needle and sewing machine, I expect you will have spectacular results. The fabric sounds both interesting and lovely. Can't wait to see where your imagination takes you. Good luck!

o

Thanks, OP! Appreciate the support!

o

Sounds like fun, and cool fabric!

o

Good luck, Annie! The fabric sounds beautiful!

A cousin is getting married in Florida over Memorial Day weekend, and this thread has certainly yanked my attention :-) The wedding ceremony will be in a blessedly air conditioned church and the reception at a resort, but it will still be HOT. I want to wear a nude knee length lace dress with nude shoes, but IMO that attire on a woman of a certain age calls for stockings and I don't want to burn up. Now considering a longer, mid calf, more flowing dress with no hose and flatter shoes. I never would have started thinking about it this early without your thread, so thank you! And in October we have another wedding in Dallas which is going to be VERY hot as well, so I am already thinking about that, too. Your clothing threads are not only interesting, they are unexpectedly useful!!

o

Glad you find this helpful, kswl.

That sure sounds like a lot of nudity for a wedding!
:)

o

Lol! I was thinking that as I typed. But there's really no other way to describe the color, as it is not blush pink or taupe. I love the color for weddings because it goes so well with pearls, and that's really what I like to wear...the dress is just an accessory ;-)

o

Here's the fabric, though, despite my best efforts, I couldn't get the color to photograph true. It's more teal than blue.

o

Annie, the fabric is gorgeous!

o

kswl, well, of course, anything goes with pearls...including nudity!

o

Thanks, marlene...I hope I can do it justice.

o

Gorgeous fabric, Annie!!!

o

Thanks, kswl. It looks great in my mind's eye...now all I have to do is make it a reality.

o

It's glam! How will you do the rustic?

o

Uh oh....went to the doc's today and they are close to a mall, so I ran in and found 2 dresses and a pair of shoes I can wear. Now what do I do!!!

Well, I think I'll work on the dress anyway and now I have back up besides. From nothing to an embarrassment of riches.

o

You could get at least one of the dresses and follow through with making your own. Then you'll have something safe and something spectacular!

o

Now, we need to see the two you just bought.

o

Headless woman time!!! Please comment on dresses and shoes. (Please no comments on the legs that look like dead mackerels!)

Option 1: Ikat print dress with nude shoe. Dress has princess lines and is fitted to the waist where the front pleats open up to add fullness to the skirt.

Option 2: floral print dress with peacock shoes. Princess line bodice to below the bust where it meets a slightly curved seamed. Skirt is a-line.

Option 3: keep sewing the dress out of the sari fabric...

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 16:21

o

I like how the second dress gives you a small waist and evens out your proportions.

However, I think the peacock shoes take away from its beauty. The nude shoes keep your legs looking long and the focus on the dress.

o

They both fit perfectly. If you go with the first, though, a different shoe. I know the nude shoe is on trend, but maybe not with this dress.
And,I think a black shoe for the second dress. The blue works but gives it a more casual feel.

o

I'm going to stick my neck out here and be 100% honest. I'm not loving either of the dresses because they seem more casual then things you were considering above. Even with jewelry I'm not seeing them amped up enough for a wedding, barn or not! However.....I love the fabric you found and think it could be a stunning dress for you.

I'm also following this with interest with a wedding on my calendar - end of June, downtown Chicago hotel, Friday night......

o

Dlm, we too have a wedding in Chicago, but in September. And my DD has one the week before at the Marriott Magnificent Mile.
My niece' s wedding with be unconventional and casual. I'm not too concerned about a dress.
Both my daughters can go out the day before, find a dress and shoes, done!
So far, I have been lucky at Nordstrom's petites for my last three special events. Although I hate dress shopping, I do enjoy going to an event in a dress.
I like the style of Annie's dresses.

o

I'm going to be honest and say that I do not care for either of those dresses on you. As mentioned above, the ikat is much less formal that other dresses you showed earlier.

Trying to put my finger on what IMHO is wrong. For one thing - with a full bust - those necklines just seem wrong. It's making you look like the widest part is right across your chest. I know it may be hard to find a v-neck or scooped neck that is not too revealing but it would really make you look smaller across the chest (lengthens the neck).

I'm wondering about something that is a softer look, slightly flowing. I don't mean fussy or frou-frou, but longer, flowing skirt out of a filmy fabric. I think something fitted in the waist but softer above and below would be very flattering to your figure. Going a bit longer and fuller through the skirt would also help even your top half out and make you look taller. Not sure that what I am describing is making sense - hope so. I'm not really digging a print either unless something very small. I'd go with a solid, fab color.

tina

o

I'm a latecomer to the conversation but I love clothes and it helps so much seeing a dress on a real human; I agree, I think you need a bit of a lower neckline to look your best.

And the nude shoes really do make your legs look longer, IMHO.

o

Hah! And that's with my minimizer bra! Both my gramma's had very ample bosoms...of course theirs kind of just blended into their ample waists....

o

I find the second print to be a bit swimsuit-ish but it's a better neckline.

o

Have you seen this v-neck dress (linked below) from Talbots?

Here is a pattern I used a few years ago...Vogue V8188.
It's a sleeveless sheath with princess seams & a v-neck. For myself, I altered the pattern by raising the v-neck up a little bit higher. I used a light sage colored Shantung/Dupioni fabric.

photo V8188.jpg

photo MuslinSkirt1009.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Talbot's V-Neck Dress

o

Tinam61 has said exactly what I was thinking. Neither dress does you any favours as far as the shape goes: both make you look very top-heavy. I appreciate that you are, but the neckline calls attention to this. The style and fabric overall says more "nice lunch with friends" than "wedding guest"- I thought may_flowers was spot on with the "swimsuit-ish" remark as well.
OTOH, that sari fabric is _gorgeous_. Option 3 is looking good.
I sympathise; I need to get a move on and get working on my MOTB dress for this November.

o

Oh boy, I better get busy then. Our overnight guest finally left this morning...after 11 days! And I have 21 people plus overnight guests coming for Easter and then the wedding is the following weekend. Yikes.

I guess I was so thinking spring and farm wedding that I wanted a "gay print" instead of something somber. And I'd tried on so many sheaths that, when fit over my hips, were just too big in the shoulders, that when I found these that fit so well, I was delighted. Well, I may hang onto them anyway as back up, and see if I can't get the sari dress done between now and then....but I hope I don't go through all that effort only to still have my ample bosom be, um, front and center, iykwim....

o

I'm not sure what happened to your original vision or your fear of this, but both of those dresses look very close to this (which can be the problem with a print when you aren't the age of and you don't have a body like Kate Middleton):

A solid color (and that blue is gorgeous, maybe without the sari embellishment) will bring you back closer to where you say you want to be.

o

Annie,

I like how you look in both those dresses you purchased. You have pretty legs & they show off those & honestly, I don't think they call attn. to your "bosoms"! Plus, they look comfortable & like they fit really well.

I do some sewing, too, and know you could make that fabric look beautiful IF you have the time and energy with the other demands in your life right now, but you know best about that! As I get older, I can't spread myself that thin anymore…..how I miss that "olden days" energy!!

Anyway, that's my opinion!

o

I have a similar body type- and I thought the 2 dresses looked fine, but not wonderful.
I am trying to find a pic of it online, because I bought a knit Ralph Lauren dress with a little v neck and a waist that is gathered to the side (not too good at describing sorry)-- but I bought it a while ago like maybe last year. I still see it in different colors though so I think it's still quite current. It is VERY flattering, and comfy.I think full price is maybe $110.

o

My .02, Annie.

The dresses are too casual. They do not look appropriate for a mature wedding guest.

The fabric is too lightweight. You want a good quality fabric with some control, like a shantung silk or linen.

The cut does not flatter. You have lovely arms and legs. You need something to minimize the torso. You can do that with one solid color, cut to expose a v neck. There are v necks that work with large bosoms, if they are fitted well. Failing that, you need a scoop neck and something to draw the eye down. For example, a scarf or a serious necklace.

You are brave to subject yourself to such personal critique. I hope it is helpful and apologize for any offense.
If I were you, I would try, just try, an afternoon with a personal shopper at a place like Saks.

o

Interesting kitschy...none of the fabrics are light weight. The dresses may not be thrilling, but I don't think they are inappropriate, certainly not age wise. If my boobs were hanging out or it was skin tight, or bedazzled, or short as my crotch or backless, then, maybe. But I would feel appropriate and respectful of the occasion wearing them. After all, it is a spring wedding on a farm...and I'm not in my 80s...

I've tried on solid dresses and they all look so somber and boring. I think maybe I was looking too early as these dresses were just being put out on the floor...maybe more spring dresses have come in and it might be worthwhile taking another look.

I have a black faux wrap dress that fits me well and is very flattering, but I refuse to wear black to a wedding...it's not a funeral.

o

That's it, of course! A wrap dress probably looks great on you. It gives you a v but you control how much. Why not get one in a more upbeat color? That sounds perfect.

By "inappropriate" I meant inappropriate for a grown, professional woman for a wedding, if that makes more sense. They are not in upscale enough for the "you" i picture, if only from your lovely home. They look like something to wear to a luncheon, to me.

Anyway, I may have offended, unintentionally, and for that I am sorry.

o

Annie I watched the Katie Couric show today and thought of you when I saw her dress. It was a gorgeous solid green but the fabric had texture to it so the light played on it a bit and it didn't look flat and boring. I think that may be the key. Wish I could find a picture of it to show you - looking but no luck yet.

Edited to add - she wears fabulous dresses a lot - major inspiration !

This post was edited by dlm2000 on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 17:02

o

No sweat kitschy. I believe, for the most part, people are taking time to post to help me, not hurt me, and I appreciate honesty. In the old days, Mom was around to give me the brutal truth...now I have to "rely on the kindness of strangers" so to speak.

I went shopping again today and came up with 2 more. DH likes both of these much better than the print dresses and one is as comfortable as PJs so I think I may have found a dress...I can continue to work on making one too if I want, but I think, at least, I have back up. The print dresses are going back, as are the peacock shoes.

This Ivanka Trump features an asymmetric neckline with the fabric criss crossing the bodice and gathered into a bit of bling at the neckline.

The other is a Ralph Lauren which features shoulder pads (they're back?!?) and a gathered V neck which so many of you recommended and a 12-gore skirt that flairs out, a little longer and softer line than the others.

What say ye?

o

Both are beautiful and flattering on you! Either one will be a great choice. Do you have specific jewelry you'd like to wear? That may tip the scales one way or the other but I think you've saved yourself some sewing!!

o

I vote for the second one.

o

Both of those are great!
I lean towards voting for the second one.

o

The Ralph Lauren looks wonderful on you! Quite flattering and the one I would choose.

o

They both look great on you. I vote for #2 but either would work.

I also think pearls, white pearls, would be perfect.

This post was edited by marlene_2007 on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 18:43

o

I also like the RL dress, it is a bit more "evening," where the other two sheaths would be perfect for a day wedding in a church, followed by a club reception, especially when dressed up with good hair, shoes, jewelry, and a wrap of some kind (since you dislike my old lady cardigans, lol). Do not care for the Trump dress at all, but the RL really does flatter your figure.

Please wear a string of pearls with this dress, if you wear it-- it was made for pearls! Fab earrings and bracelet, a pretty tiny purse and I would wear darker silver or pewter shoes, not black, but that's just me. And a lovely shimmery wrap!

o

The Ralph Lauren is PERFECT! Elegant, figure-flattering, nice balance of tastefully-mature without being matronly. And I agree with the pearls suggestion also. Very classy ;-) And it would be lovely with a wrap for 'just in case' cool weather.

You've found your dress!

o

I really like both of those last two on you!

o

My opinion??? I love the RL dress on you…so flattering. Is it the comfy one too?

o

Wow! I didn't expect there to be such a consensus! And I have to admit the RL is the one that is as comfortable as PJs, and the fabric is the kind that will pack beautifully (the wedding is out of state) so I think I have a dress.

Sorry, though, no pearls. I have a lovely string and pretty pearl and diamond earrings that go with them, but ever since Barbara Bush, I've been unable to wear them. Any of you remember the pearls in Thoroughly Modern Millie? Same thing with Margaret Dumont from night at the opera...

But if I'm not sewing, I'll have time to either shop or perhaps make a necklace out of beads...something more "wilma flintstone" as mtnrd would say.... or I have really good gems I could wear if I want to risk it. (I hate traveling with good jewelry out of fear of losing it.)

Shoes will be next though as the wedding is outside on the lawn so they are recommending women wear wedges and I don't have any....I like the suggestion of pewter or silver for the shoes though....part of me wants to try to change shoes for the reception though so I can wear something more formal...maybe just flats for the wedding....

Thank you all for your input...much appreciated!

o

Omigosh, those are both gorgeous! And they look so much nicer on you, but especially the RL. The color is very flattering and I think esp. the length of the RL is perfect. Whew!

o

Yes you've found it! The v-neck, a bit of flowing - it is very flattering! Lovely color also. I'm not a pearl person myself and think you can find something really fab to wear with the dress.

tina

o

Wow, they are both lovely on you. Another vote for the RL. So glad you went shopping again and found these. And if it feels like PJs, and packs well, then all the better. Now you can enjoy the rest of your busy time leading up to the wedding.

o

Anything that feels like pajamas is all right in my book!

o

Thank you all so much...I guess the long search paid off!

o

Love the second one. I'm also amazed at what a difference the V-neck made. Don't remember who noted a V-neck would be more flattering, but I'm always amazed with those that can see these things as I'm clueless to those things.

o

Yes, I agree the RL is perfect. Very flattering.

o

The RL is perfect and the neckline is great too. Where on earth did you find it?

My nephew is getting married in 5 weeks and I'm also hunting for a new outfit. I've been watching this post every day....you've found a dress that's great for the wedding and reception but not limited to a dressy event. You could easily wear that to other functions.

And it's in my favorite color.... a rich blue, on my monitor it looks sapphire.

I don't think I'd wear pearls though and I happen to love them. There are so many silver necklaces that would enhance that neckline and color - perhaps complement a metallic shoe too if that's what you select.

This post was edited by maire_cate on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 14:02

o

Just checking back in here. You've been busy. I love the RL dress on you too. I suspect the other is also really flattering, but that the overexposure of the lighting on the pic and maybe the pic angle makes it not as enticing as the RL. Either one would be perfect.
Are you in the mood for silvery/pewter shoes?
I just bought these at Dillards (amazing selection I'll add) to wear this weekend as stepmom of Bride.
They are comfy enough for me to wear and still act as hostess at this wedding. By J Renee and pretty affordable.
I'm a lot taller than you, but have the same figure issues, ie shapely ample tush and bustline. For this "black tie optional" wedding all the bridesmaids will be in long dresses as will I. I ended up buying a dress in the salon the day we went wedding dress shopping, at Sweet Elegance in Atlanta where they were absolutely wonderful. And I went with a mock wrap - silver, beaded. Still haven't decided on jewelry. sigh. Wedding is in three days.
(why do they picture a 20-something in a dress meant for MOB?)

I made my dresses for my two sons weddings, but making it this time was going to be a logistical nightmare.

Have a wonderful time at your barn wedding.

o

It's Ralph all the way, baby! I agree the V-neck really looks good, and I think the greater fullness in the skirt is more flattering and less business-y.

o

Thank you all for the support.

I returned the other dresses and shoes today and found a nice necklace to wear with the dress. Now I just need shoes.

Mlw...those shoes look great, and the dress is very pretty...but does it have a train? Is that something you can manage? I like the jewelry as pictured...the ring and bracelet...I think a necklace would be too much.... Best wishes at your wedding as well.

o

Marie cate, the dress was from macys...

o

haven't spent any time on this side for a long time, but happy to see a clothing thread to read!!

yes, the RL dress is great! i tried on several RL dresses this holiday season and found his wrap style v does not work for me since i am not as endowed on top- your figure is perfect for it!
pewter/silvery shoes will look great with it!

am going shopping tomorrow- i have a black tie event at the beginning of may... i really need a whole wardrobe revamping-- i have alot of clothes, but nothing to wear!! so many are getting old, especially nicer clothes which are worn infrequently--i really struggle if i have to wear something other than jeans/gym clothes. i like looking nice, but the whole process of shopping and selecting clothes is difficult for me- pulling together a whole outfit and especially accessorizing. and, i absolutely cannot walk into a store like marshalls, sift through all the clothes and come out of there with a pulled together outfit- just can't do it! :(

o

Thank you for the source Annie.

Will you need a wrap of some kind? I think the idea of flats for the ceremony and then something dressier for the reception - maybe you'd like to spice up your outfit with these? It has a nice think heel so you won't sink into the grass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver

o

Yikes! Silver boots ain't me, for sure! Though they certainly go with the farm theme.

o

Annie, I ordered this shoe a couple of weeks ago from a local department store but found it on Zappos as well. It is in 'Ash' which is actually more grey than it appears in the photo. It's very comfortable and sexy. Might not be the style you are going for but I'm planning to wear it with a dress to a May wedding. I have long slim legs and am tall, so I don't do heels.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.zappos.com/tahari-nina-ash

o

Well, as they say....it takes a village.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here