Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Just for fun - masquerade themed benefit

kellienoelle
10 years ago

I am attending an annual benefit held in support of a local free health clinic. They have different themes every year, this one is "A Black and White Masquerade". So the recommended dress code is black and white. It will likely range anywhere from black tie to cocktail attire to "creative" (think Eyes Wide Shut)

I was soooo excited to look for masks for my husband and I. I immediately went to Etsy and.....woah.....overwhelming. Who would have thought that there would be so many options for masks? Anybody want to help me pick one out? The mask itself doesn't need to be black or white. Apparently you can drop tons of cash on a mask, but since we will wear this exactly once, I don't really want to. Initially thoughts are jazzing it up with a color (and a feather!)

Comments (29)

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or simple and lacy?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dress wise, I haven't decided 100% but am considering this one. I would love other suggestions though, bonus points for things that I could wear again. I could probably use a new "LBD" actually. I would like it to be fun and just a little teeny bit sexy. Regarding body shape, I am a very curvy size 8, about 5'5".

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I decide to go for more of a cocktail party dress that is shorter, something like this would suit my body shape but I fear the material will look cheap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other dress option

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I like the second one better because it seems like something you could definitely wear again. I've been to a lot of benefits like this and never see women in floor-length dresses, FWIW. Maybe that's different depending on where you live?

If you will be wearing the mask all night (?), something like the red one might get uncomfortable after a while. It's really cool, though. But so is the second one!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Kellie, I agree about a cocktail dress. Not a fan of the one you posted though. Keep looking. There are tons of LBD's to choose from.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would probably prefer a more no fuss short LBD, but I have talked to a couple of friends who are going and 2 are wearing long, 1 is wearing short. I honestly think it will be an anything goes type of event. If I did the long, I was going to do Rent the Runway and just rent it, if I go short I would hope to find and purchase one that I can have on hand for whenever cocktail events come up. I'll keep looking, and think I will even go out to try on this weekend. I feel like I have a hard body to dress! An a-line or something with stretch seems to work the best. How about this one?

I am not sure how well the mask needs to "match" the dress. I would probably prefer to go OTT on the mask since when do you have a chance to wear one????

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Dress one is so flattering and vampy. But I think it looks like a costume, so it would be a one-off thing IMHO.

As for the mask, definitely OTT and feathers! Shakers didn't so masked balls...

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a masquarade ball, so what better time to go vampy, it seems fun! So if I go in that direction, not something I would likely wear again which was why I started looked at the Rent the Runway. Of course with a rental so there is always the risk it won't fit. I guess I could do a mix of the two, buy a safe LBD as a backup that I could always return.

I am glad somebody else thinks OTT and feathers is the way to go. Because I really want to wear feathers. How about this for the husband? So many choices.

• kelpmermaid
    10 years ago

A masquerade! A friend had a black tie masquerade party for a significant birthday...my, that was fun! This might be a good time to find masks, just after Mardi Gras. I found ours at Cost Plus World Market, but I'm not sure where you live and if you have those...mine had a peacock feather!

• User
    10 years ago

I love those renaissance masks with the beaks that are held up on a stick or dowel. I would not under any circumstances wear a mask with an elastic band around your head, it will give you a headache and ruin your hair.

A masquerade ball is not just about the mask, but the costume. Not a huge fan of any of the three dresses you've posted. There are so many LBD, some in vintage styles still relevant today...that might be a thought.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

Have you actually looked at Rent the Runway? I thought the deal when you rented from them was that you got the dress in two sizes to guarantee a fit. That's at least how it was a few years ago when we looked at renting a dress for a pageant for DD.

I like the long dress and the last dress but it looks young. Would that work for you?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have ordered from Rent the Runway before. It is awesome for that event where you want something a little special or that you know you likely won't wear again. You do get two sizes, but that doesn't mean it will fit or flatter your shape. A benefit is the reviews and photos of people who are similar to you, which is how I arrived at option #1, seemed to be flattering on gals who had some boobs and hips.

I had totally forgot about it being post Mardi Gras so I will definitely take a trip to World Market tomorrow. Great idea!

kswl - good point about the elastic. I can't even wear a headband for more than an hour or two for that reason.No point in getting an awesome mask to take it off. But I also wont do one on a stick, I like having my hands free. I don't do clutches for the same reason. I don't know where to look for vintage though, but I like the idea!

mmom2 - I think the last one would be OK and not too young. Maybe too short though? I hate not feeling like I can sit and bend and move. But you may be right. I don't want to buy something if I can't wear it again.

• kelpmermaid
    10 years ago

Pier 1 might also have masks - I think I saw some there recently, but that wasn't my purpose there, of course... I didn't find the elastic that big of a deal. It isn't that tight, and how long are you wearing it? YMMV

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Each of the dresses are pretty/sexy/cute/vampy in their own way. As for masks, I was in Pier One at Chrismas, and they had several very beautiful ones. The store here still has a few, but there are several on their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: masks

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I love Black and Whie balls! I would suggest getting a mask with a long handle so you don't have to put it around your head.

The fancier the better. :)

Here are some on Pinterest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Masks on handles

• natebear zone 10B
    10 years ago

I love the dress you posted at 14:16. It looks like something you could easily wear again.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Natebear - I like the Shoshanna dress too, and just know that I would wear it again. That is something that I could even wear to a nice dinner out with my husband. AND it's on sale at Saks. So I think I'll order and keep my fingers crossed. While looking, I also found this one that I linked that seems appropriate. If neither work I will stick with the rental. Surely out of the three options, one will work, right??? I was out to dinner with a couple of people last night who are also attending, and the guys are wearing tuxes (my husband will just be in a black suit) and the women are going full on vamp. So I think a long dress would be fitting of the occasion, but I know that I would get more use of the short.

Oakley - I can't do one on a stick. Knowing me, it would be set down on a table and never picked up again. I like having my hands free! But gosh, there sure are some pretty ones!

Here is a link that might be useful: Other dress option.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

I love the Shelli Segal dress. A version of that dress is what my DD wore in the pageant instead of renting one from RTR. The dress is lovely. The one my DD wore had beading down the side to the slit and was knit. She is very tall (6ft 1) and stick thin, the dress looked lovely on her fair skin in a shade similar to the color of the year, now that I think about it.

We got it for a song on sale at Lord & Taylor. If the one coming doesn't work, you might search and see if you could find a version of it on sale on the web.

It is a classic dress that can be worn for many events. Hope it makes you feel like a million bucks.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

If you are remotely crafty, a trip to Hobby Lobby and a hot glue gun will do wonders ...so fun and probably a lot cheaper but then you can say you made yours.
    They sell masks for decorating so it's really easy. I do it as a kids art project occasionally.

if you have old costume jewelry, those can be pried apart to make some great additions that don't look cheap.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I received the Shoshanna dress and the Laundry dress today and they couldn't be more different. The Shoshanna dress was cute and, but didn't fit properly. The Laundry dress is sexy pretty, very va-va-voom, it hugs every curve. Not my typical attire AT ALL, but I think I like it. It's funny that mmomof2 mentions tall and thin, because I am neither, but it was more flattering than I would have expected. The material is a sparkly stretch jersey. The only alteration it would need is to be taken up an inch. I also like that the basic simplicity of the cut would work with any sort of over the top mask.

I should also mention that "crafty" doesn't describe me either! Actually I am probably capable but not creative. OK maybe I am giving myself too much credit.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I would share a pic with what I chose. It was a fun party. Very over the top, I could have just had a ton more fun with the clothing and mask.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Great photo!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How fun!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

You both look great! Thanks for the follow up:)

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, it's fun to get glamoured up every now and then.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

So glad you posted a follow-up photo. Love it!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I love the masks you chose! Looks like you both had fun too. Did the mask fit like a hat or something, if it didn't have elastic?

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I missed this thread earlier! So glad you posted an update. That mask looks cool! Looks like you had a good time :)

tina

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

Great pic! You both look so happy.