Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NYC Trip-recommendations please.

Posted by msmagoo (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 21:49

DH & I are thinking about a 3 day trip to NYC over our DD's spring break. It is her senior year and we are trying to squeeze in as much time with her as we can. We live in VA so we will be driving. Is it best to stay in the Times Square area? We would like to walk to everything. Is 3 days enough time to see about everything? Where do we park? We are front a rural area, so I am sure it will be a culture shock for us. Any hotel recommendations or any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NYC Trip-recommendations please.

There's a lot to see in NYC...what do you want to see? That will help you decide where to stay. The Word Trade Center was down town as is wall st and the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island. the empire state bldg is midtown, as is rockefeller center. the Met is upper east side as is the frick. the natural history museum is on the west side.

Also hotels can get very pricey....how much you want to spend may also help you decide. Check with the hotel about parking...often they provide it.

o

Another poster asked about traveling to NYC a few months ago. I linked her post below, perhaps you'll find some helpful info. there.

When my DD was a senior in high school we spent some time in NYC looking at colleges and we stayed at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.

Here is a link that might be useful: NYC

o

Just spent three days there with my 18 year old DD, also a HS senior. Since it wasn't our first trip, we didn't do some of the things we've seen before, such as Times Square, Ground Zero, Empire State Bldg, etc. We hung out mostly in the Greenwich Village area, which we discovered on our last trip, and really love. Tons of real neighborhoods, restaurants, shops, etc. So much incredibly great food everywhere...My DD had fun using TripAdvisor and other search tools to find great places to eat, shops, etc. We didn't have time for a show, since we were doing college tours, but that would be one of my top recommendations. We saw Mama Mia and How to Succeed in Business last time, and both were truly wonderful experiences. We've had great luck in the past going to the Battery Park ticket sales office for reduced tickets -much shorter lines than the better known Times Square ticket office. We stayed at the Washington Sq. Inn for about $277/night. Of course NYC is expensive, but since this included breakfast and free WIFI it seemed reasonable. We had no complaints there at all -they were terrific. You may want to do some research on driving to a train station somewhere outside the City, where you could leave your car. Every hotel is going to charge you at least $30/day to park your car, and you'll never need to use it.

It's SUCH an amazing city -you'll have a GREAT time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Some info on trains into NYC

o

We parked in a parking garage in weehaken nj, and walked a short distance to the ferry, and then took a taxi to our hotel.
Parking for us worked out to be about $10 a day, i think. The parking garage was well lit, and had a guard.
We stayed in a hotel a short walk from grand central station, and felt like it was very convenient.
Based on another gardenweb thread, we made reservations at the agfinia shelburne. It was clean, cute, the staff were super nice, comfy beds, we had a kitchenette.
Hope my earlier thread helps you, people gave me some wonderful advice!

o

We always stay at the Manhattan Club which is directly across from Carnegie hall and a short walk to Times Square and just about any of the big spots in Manhattan. You can call them and see if they have a deal for a weekend. We own ours so it's different for us. You would have a living room, separate bedroom and ensuite plus a place to sit and eat. They're very nice and so so handy.

o

Ps, so so so glad we didnt try to drive in and park in nyc.

o

People often stay in NJ where the hotels and parking are a lot less and just take the train in everyday.

o

I too am in Va. I took my kids preteens to NYC. We took the train and loved it-highly recommend it. Hoped on in dc after taking orange line from Vienna. We bought the city passes (Google it) for discounts everywhere. Bought the unlimited subway pass as well. We stayed in Chinatown at a newer hotel, Hotel Mulberry. (200$ but clean!) a hike to metro but easy to get around. we loved it, it was a breeze walking but hoping on a bus was very helpful by third day of walking. You can do a lot in three days. Organize your trip and familiarize where your stops are to save time.

o

Now that you mention it, I remember my first time driving in Manhattan...it is a different experience...and at least I knew where I was going. Not for the novice or faint of heart. Staying outside the city and taking the subway in is probably a good idea...big money saver too.

o

I would not drive into the city if you can possibly avoid it. Nor would I stay in New Jersey, only to lose vast warehouses of time traveling back and forth. If you are planning to see lots of shows it makes sense to stay in or around Times Square, but if your focus isn't Broadway plays and musicals you should probably stay elsewhere-- I'd let your interests guide your hotel location.

It's difficult to recommend a hotel without knowing what you'd like to spend. Just within a few blocks of each other on W. 44th St, for example, I can think of three hotels that span the price spectrum--- the Chatwal ($$$), the InterContinental($$). and the Hotel Mela ($), all within easy walking distance of most Broadway theatres. Affinia Hotels are a less expensive option (they're in several manhattan locations), and there is no dearth of fine hotels to choose from. If you like smaller boutique hotels the Lowell is a great one.

We left NYC twenty years ago and still miss living there. I manage to get up a few times a year and there is always something new to see, hear, taste and enjoy. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

o

We have been to NYC many times, but the last time was for my DD's gymnastics meet and we traveled with a group of people who either hadn't been to the city in many years or who had never been. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Times Sq., and the "tourists" among us found it super convenient for walking to the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Ctr., Central Park, etc. Also, parking was right next to the hotel. I don't happen to think it's a huge deal to drive into NYC -- however, I am from Boston! -- but definitely plan to park once and don't drive again until you leave!

I loved Hotel Giraffe when we stayed there a couple of years ago -- they have a great suite setup for your situation -- but it wasn't as conveniently located.

Three days is definitely not enough time to do everything -- there is SO much to do and see -- but you could hit the tourist highlights, I'm sure. Be prepared with comfortable walking shoes!

I also saw Mamma Mia in NY and looooved it.

o

Here's a question that we've not really asked but would focus our responses: What does your daughter want to do and see in NYC? Does she like museums -- modern or otherwise? Does she want to go see some funky clothing stores or look for vintage shops? Does she want to go up in a skyscraper or see Central Park or roam the Village?

(2 more ideas: See if "Blue Man Group" -- still playing on Broadway -- interests you, and Google "New York movie bus tours," which point out location spots you'll probably remember seeing in the movies or on TV shows.)

o

DH has no trouble driving in Manhattan....he comes within an inch of pedestrians and other cars as locals do....I close my eyes the whole time, hand clinched to the door handle, breath held!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here