Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'll be driving past a sad scene tomorrow evening...

Posted by faron79 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 21:14

Tomorrow evening, I'm heading out to my hometown NW of Fargo to help my Brother celebrate his 50th B-day!!

But...
I'll be driving past a spot where 2 young ND Sisters lost their lives just N of Hillsboro, ND. The weather Wed. was VERY windy & blowing snow across roads, making them kinda glazed for stretches. I've driven I-29 there a THOUSAND times. It's wide-open and level, but slight curves are there. The attached story says they were thrown from the vehicle, so I'm assuming they weren't wearing seatbelts?!

Drive careful out there my GW-Friends!!! Winter's not over yet...

Faron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'll be driving past a sad scene tomorrow evening...

How sad, Faron!

o

Not tryin' to be a "Danny Downer" here...maybe I shouldn't have posted this.

Just a sobering thought about driving safely.
A reminder to us all...

Faron

o

Sad.....

o

It's a great reminder, especially for parents with young drivers. I have 2 daughters in their 20's and I worry constantly about them driving in hazardous conditions, well, just driving... period. They must learn to drive in bad conditions but it doesn't hurt to relay experiences and news stories. Thank you for the somber reminder. So sad for those young girls.

o

So sorry for the sad news.

It's funny how you can be reminded of tragedies every time you go by a stretch of road.

Thirty years ago, there was a cop chasing 6 teens piled into a truck...the truck missed a curve by an intersection and 4 of the teens were killed, 2 injured. There was a lot of criticism around the chase and it changed the police policies around high speed pursuits. And they added a stop sign at that intersection. Every time I stop there, I still remember the tragedy.

There's another road nearby that haunts me every time I go by. Over 35 years ago, a little 8 year old girl left her home at 6 pm to walk up the street to visit a friend. She never came home. She was bludgeoned to death not 300 yds from her home. The case has never been solved.

o

Such sad stories. There are three spots I drive by where teenagers died in car crashes, at about the time when my sons were teenage drivers. I always think how their parents must miss them so much to this day. There's also a spot where my older son flew around a curve, went off the road and hit a tree, landing him in the ICU for two weeks. I cringe whenever I go by there. That was nearly thirty years ago.

o

It's amazing how these locations of sad events can affect you, even if you were not part of it at the time. I was driving through Connecticut a couple months ago and drove by exit signs for Sandy Hook and Newtown, and waves of sadness came over me, remembering what had occurred in that area.

o

So sad, but a timely reminder for us all.

o

And now I read a headline from about a crash near Sleepy-Eye, MN....110 mi. W-SW of Mpls.

FOUR teens killed. "Less than ideal conditions" our newspaper says. I WISH stuff like this could stop, but...

Faron

o

Faron, that's in my neck of the woods. Not my town, but close enough that I know some of the volunteer firefighters that responded to the accident. It's been rough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here