Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

I'll be driving past a sad scene tomorrow evening...

Faron79
10 years ago

Tomorrow evening, I'm heading out to my hometown NW of Fargo to help my Brother celebrate his 50th B-day!!

But...
I'll be driving past a spot where 2 young ND Sisters lost their lives just N of Hillsboro, ND. The weather Wed. was VERY windy & blowing snow across roads, making them kinda glazed for stretches. I've driven I-29 there a THOUSAND times. It's wide-open and level, but slight curves are there. The attached story says they were thrown from the vehicle, so I'm assuming they weren't wearing seatbelts?!

Drive careful out there my GW-Friends!!! Winter's not over yet...

Faron

Comments (10)

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

How sad, Faron!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not tryin' to be a "Danny Downer" here...maybe I shouldn't have posted this.

Just a sobering thought about driving safely.
    A reminder to us all...

Faron

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Sad.....

• mom2girls_2008
    10 years ago

It's a great reminder, especially for parents with young drivers. I have 2 daughters in their 20's and I worry constantly about them driving in hazardous conditions, well, just driving... period. They must learn to drive in bad conditions but it doesn't hurt to relay experiences and news stories. Thank you for the somber reminder. So sad for those young girls.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

So sorry for the sad news.

It's funny how you can be reminded of tragedies every time you go by a stretch of road.

Thirty years ago, there was a cop chasing 6 teens piled into a truck...the truck missed a curve by an intersection and 4 of the teens were killed, 2 injured. There was a lot of criticism around the chase and it changed the police policies around high speed pursuits. And they added a stop sign at that intersection. Every time I stop there, I still remember the tragedy.

There's another road nearby that haunts me every time I go by. Over 35 years ago, a little 8 year old girl left her home at 6 pm to walk up the street to visit a friend. She never came home. She was bludgeoned to death not 300 yds from her home. The case has never been solved.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Such sad stories. There are three spots I drive by where teenagers died in car crashes, at about the time when my sons were teenage drivers. I always think how their parents must miss them so much to this day. There's also a spot where my older son flew around a curve, went off the road and hit a tree, landing him in the ICU for two weeks. I cringe whenever I go by there. That was nearly thirty years ago.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

It's amazing how these locations of sad events can affect you, even if you were not part of it at the time. I was driving through Connecticut a couple months ago and drove by exit signs for Sandy Hook and Newtown, and waves of sadness came over me, remembering what had occurred in that area.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

So sad, but a timely reminder for us all.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And now I read a headline from about a crash near Sleepy-Eye, MN....110 mi. W-SW of Mpls.

FOUR teens killed. "Less than ideal conditions" our newspaper says. I WISH stuff like this could stop, but...

Faron

• geokid
    10 years ago

Faron, that's in my neck of the woods. Not my town, but close enough that I know some of the volunteer firefighters that responded to the accident. It's been rough.