Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4boys2

Warm lightweight blanket-throw washable

4boys2
10 years ago

Well, my title pretty much says it all..
I have an elderly friend who is now in a nursing facility .
When she was at home she slept with an electric blanket however the home does not allow them.
I mentioned a throw because that would work as well.She's not even 5 ft tall and now weighs 75 lbs.
She never asked for much her whole life and I realize she may never be warm again.
I'm gonna try ..Thanks

Comments (12)

• User
    10 years ago

I will link to the perfect throw. Do not be worried that the price is so low..read the reviews. Especially with her weight this would be perfect. Good Luck...I am never warm enough...I know how she must feel. c

Here is a link that might be useful: STP throw

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure that her name is on it, written in large letters in indelible ink. I've had so many nice items stolen from nursing homes. They "lose" it in the laundry, supposedly. I realize this isn't a family member, so you probably can't take on this task, but I found that the only way to minimize disappearing items was to take all of the personal laundry home to do.

• 4boys2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank-you Trailrunner I'll give that one a look-see..
    Fun, She has no family. She worked with my mom as a nurse.When my mother was alive she took care of her .She has such a vibrant mind with a failing body.
    I already ironed her name to all her clothing and brought in a basket for the dirty so I can take it home to wash.
    I bring meals in whenever I can.
    It's so sad that for $8000 a month you would think they could answer the call button..(End of life care is a whole other story)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I find polar fleece very light weight and warm and washable. You might just buy a hunk of fabric in pretty colors. It doesn't ravel so it doesn't even need hemming....and if it disappears into the nursing home ether, no big deal.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Forboystoo, bless you for caring for her. Because you are actively involved in this lady's care, I'm sure she will be much better off.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

If it is for her bed, check Ikea. They have warm, light weight down-alternative comforters at a great price.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I have no recommendations, but am sure the angels are smiling on you and your friend.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

If you decide to go with fleece, you can get one monogrammed at Lands End (and good quality IMO) for a decent price. I've bought the small sizes for our grandkids in the past and they are great. I don't know if they still have them but BB&B has a nice down alternative blanket that is fuzzy on one side and plain on the other. It also comes in down (DD has that one). With their 20% discount a queen size is very reasonable (around $100) iirc and it is very warm.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Fleece is my go to for warmth. Target often has their thick fleece throws on sale too.

• denali2007
    10 years ago

I like the one trailrunner linked to. When my Dad was dying, that's all he wanted was his red wool blanket. He was always cold. Wool is known for it's warmth.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

This is the one I purchased for the exact reason. It was recommended to me. It's amazingly cuddly and yummy to warm up to. My sister adores it. I've seen similar ones in other stores. If you get a change go feel the plush blankets, even Walmart has them. The reason I got this one is that it has insulate in it and that increases the warmth. God bless you for being there for her.

Here is a link that might be useful: blanket

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

The Berkshire fleecy throws are very cozy -- check at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I think a throw will make her feel very appreciated and loved -- like you're giving her a hug every day!

(Ditto to what Annie wrote: If you don't find anything in a color you think she'll really like, you can always buy 2 lengths of non-pilling fleece at Joann's or Walmart, cut a fringe all the way around, and tie the 2 sides together all around. There are some nice patterned fabrics around.)