Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

What kind of sheets are good

3katz4me
12 years ago

If you want them to be soft, not wrinkly and not pilling. I've never been very particular about sheets nor did I buy very expensive ones. The were fine and I was happy with them. However the last several sets of sheets I've purchased are awful. Stiff and wrinkled out of the dryer. I hear a lot about thread count and thought maybe I needed to up my count. So then the sheets were softer but wrinkles and/or pilling.

What do I need to know about sheets? I'd prefer not to spend a fortune but I will if that's what it takes these days.

Comments (42)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think (not sure) that I have read that it is polyester that causes the pilling. I like 100% cotton sheets and I try to buy either those made in the US or Portugal. I have also started looking for and buying organic cotton. Not sure if that makes a hige difference, but it sounds better! They do wrinkle, but I don't worry about that too much. I smooth pillowcases when they are damp for myself and iron them for company. I also iron the top sheet for company.

I am including a link on sheets. There may be other sites with more info, but this sounded pretty good to me and wasn't too long!

Here is a link that might be useful: sheets

• natal
    12 years ago

100% cotton pills too. I've bought high thread count all cotton that pilled horribly. Also have had the same problem with LL Beans flannels. The only flannel that hasn't pilled are the Velvet Flannels from The Company Store.

Last year I bought a set of percale sheets from LLBean. They're not soft as advertised. They may not wrinkle much, but they're also not comfortable. Much prefer a soft sateen.

Unfortunately, I think it's all a crap shoot.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

I bought some sheets at home goods for the guest bedroom that I really like and want some for the master. The lable says mirco cotton. Does anyone know where I might find microcotton sheets? Not much on google search under 120 a sheet and there are no more at HG's.

• User
    12 years ago

I've yet to have any pilling or severe wrinkling with the PB sheets. My mom liked them so much when she was here visiting we tracked up to the outlets 60 miles north of here to get her some!

I honestly think the wrinkles come from drying them in air that's too hot and/or a load that's too full. I use a low medium heat with only the sheets and pillow cases in the load and that keeps all of the different sheets we use from wrinkling. Same with our cotton duvet.

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

I like Sferra or Peacock Alley. Both are on sale at Tuesday Morning in the stores and online, $89.99 for queens. They are 100% cotton and feel good and wear forever.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I don't know about 100% cotton anymore. It's all I buy and wear and use...but I've noticed the last few years that some 100% cotton things, like sheets and t-shirts, not only pill but have static coming out of the dryer. In the past, 100% cotton NEVER got static when washed with all cotton things. So I think we are being snookered by big business and China and they are putting cheaper threads into many things and calling them cotton. I've wondered, who is testing to make sure the labels are as labeled? So much of our imported food is suspect because of no inspection that I doubt the gov't is testing fabric to make sure it's as labeled.

There's my cynical post for the day :)

• sis3
    12 years ago

I am a convert to microfiber sheets. The ones I have are from Spalena (sold at Costco roadshows from time to time and possibly available online). They are silky soft, feel like incredibly high thread count cotton but do not need ironing. They wear very well too. My guests all fall in love with the sheets and end up buying sets for themselves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spalena sheets

• nicoletouk
    12 years ago

I bought a set of Sferra sheets after reading the rave reviews on this foru. They do feel wonderful and have held their color (red) nicely but wrinkle horribly. I would not buy them again.

I always have good luck with Ralph Lauren sheets, except I just learned after 20 years of RL sheets to not to wash in hot water. After countless washes, they still shrank!

A note about Pottery Barn sheets: My DDs both have PB sheets and they are very nice - comfortable and not wrinkly. However, be careful buying PB sheets at the outlets. They sell a line of sheets made for sale only at the outlets that is definitely inferior. I bought a set and they were so scratchy I couldn't even sleep one night on them. I washed them over and over, trying every laundry trick I could find, but they never softened up. So, do not buy PB sheets that actually say "Outlet" anywhere on the packaging.

Nicole

• User
    12 years ago

That's strange Nicole, maybe the sheets are inferior quality at the Outlet store near your daughter but at the Outlet near us, they are the same ones that have been sold in the regular stores for years.

I've been told more than once by staff members at our Outlet store that while they do have some specialty items sold only at the Outlets, there is also a lot of the inventory brought in directly from the stores and warehouse. A lot of that is comprised of returns, over supply, or left overs when they change packaging and/or inventory.

The Classic 400 count sheet set sold in their regular store (linked below) are the same sheets they've been selling at our Outlet store. I've noticed the last few times I've been there that they've been slowly running out of colors and inventory and now I see why, they've apparently been discontinued.

It's obviously a matter of taste or preference, but I hate light and slinky sateen, I find it feels creepy on my skin. I much prefer a heavier natural cotton with some bulk to it so it doesn't wrinkle and it stays cooler in summer. I've had ours for a couple of years now and have never found them to be rough or scratchy, they just aren't thin and silky.

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Classic 400 Thread Count Sheets

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

oly, you said that magic word, "China." I don't buy any linens made in china. I try not to buy anything made in China but sometimes it's difficult to get around. I definitely do not buy linens made there however.

That's why I buy the Sferra sheets, they are made in Italy without any obnoxious dyes, pesticides, etc. Yes, they do wrinkle, but I iron the tops and sides and I'm good. The Peacock Alley sheets I buy are made in India I think and they are also made with good cotton.

I hate sateen sheets. Bought one set and in a matter of weeks had to get rid of them because of the pilling.

I like a heavy cotton that is crisp yet smooth to the touch. I learned that it's not the thread count that garauntees a comfortable long wearing sheet. There are many other factors that matter other than the thread count. My best sheets are 400 or less.

• nicoletouk
    12 years ago

lukki, you are correct. PB Outlet sells two types of items...

1. Overstock and discontinued merchandise from their regular PB stores.

2. Merchandise sold ONLY at their outlets.

The outlet-only items usually are marked "Pottery Barn Outlet" on the packaging - not just the price tag. These are the ones to avoid. The regular-store PB linens are nice.

Interestingly, I have also bought some towels that are labeled "Pottery Barn Outlet" and I am very pleased with them so I don't think we can assume all PB Outlet textiles are bad.

Nicole

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I have one set of Sferra sheets and one set of PB sheets. I like the PB sheets better. I also have a set of Eileen Fisher linen sheets that I splurged on several months ago, and I think they're just OK.

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback about their towels Nicole, I just may have to give them a try! I didn't know that about the labels, also a helpful tip!

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I guess there's no easy answer to this question. I thought I just didn't know everything I needed to know about what kind of sheets to buy. Sounds like a lot of them are lousy. I doubt I can bring myself to pay $145 for a set of sheets especially considering I have a weekend lake place with six beds - two of which need new sheets and two of which have new, wrinkly, stiff sheets that I'd like to replace with something decent.

I've actually had quite a few flannel sheets that I've been satisfied with. Maybe I need to go flannel year round.

• sis3
    12 years ago

I have some Sferra sheets too. They look and feel great but...they are a pain to iron, and I almost break my fingers and thumbs putting on the fitted sheets as they are such a tight fit. They were expensive but they are sadly now relegated to the closet in favor of the microfiber sheets or the 600 thread count sheets from Costco. I am prepared to suffer only so much in the quest for a beautiful, comfortable bed!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

HI - I agree - I try to buy nothing made in China either.

I also agree it is hit and miss on sheets. I like cotton sheets, soft sheets rather than crisp and sheets that don't pill or wrinkle. Not asking for much huh?

I will have to look and see if I can find the brand on a set I bought not long ago from TJ Maxx. The are a high thread count - which I do think makes a difference. There were soft when I bought them, but after washing, even more so. They feel wonderful! I am another who does not like the sateen - many of those have an almost shiny look and feel "slick".

I do not want sheets I have to iron. As for pilling, the only sheets I have had trouble with pilling were some flannels from JC Penney and I did use/wash them for a while before they pilled.

You can find some good quality sheets for less at TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Tuesday Morning. Tuesday AM often has Sferra items.

tina

• User
    12 years ago

Sometimes I wonder about all this microfiber people are using. After all, it's not fabric at all, it's plastic and now it seems almost everything is made out of it.

The concern came to me after watching a 60 Minutes segment done by Leslie Stahl about phthalates, which are found in plastic and how they are now in everyone's system and the concerns about that. Even it it doesn't have phthalates in it, I wonder if there is a different chemical in it that could be harmful as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: 60 Minutes segmen by Leslie Stahl

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

You can find some good quality sheets for less at TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Tuesday Morning. Tuesday AM often has Sferra items.

Totally agree Tina! I've found some good scores on good sheets at all those places. I'll have to pay closer attention for Sferra at TM (never heard of the brand till here at HD). I have seen some nice Peacock Alley bedding there, unfortunately it's in bits 'n pieces. Having a King bed I tend to shop at those stores first because of the savings. (I got tired of spending full retail and having [fill in the issue] with sheets. Which reminds me, I have a TM credit I need to use. ;)

For those ladies blessed to be in that lovely phase of life, along with your usual criteria, do you find you're now taking into account what I call HFI (hot flash inducer) probability? For me it goes far beyond bedding into pj's, tops & outerwear. But for nighttime sheets, whether they could be a strong HFI has significantly lowered the choices, fabric weight being a big one. Ugh, what a pain...

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I love linens and like having several sets of sheets for each bed. So, no way am I going to pay $$$ for good sheets if I can find them discounted!

tina

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

I found this online, written by a person called budgy.

Cotton Types
    Cotton is the most widely used fiber for fabric because of its strength, durability and breathability. The word "staple" refers to fiber length. When someone refers to "long staple cotton" they are referring to variety 1, 2, or 3. The longer the fiber size of a variety, the more difficult it is to grow, and the more difficult it is to process. Hence the longer the staple, the more expensive it becomes.

(The image below shows the approximate relative sizes of the fibers.)
    1. Sea Island Cotton
    Sea Island Cotton is in extremely limited supply, and is very expensive to grow and to process. It is typically used in very expensive men's shirts.

2. Egyptian Cotton
    Egyptian Cotton was developed from stocks that originated in South and Central America. Menoufi is the most widely used variety. The highly prized Giza variety has exceptionally strong fibers about 1�" long, and is used in the best qualities of embroidery thread, and the finest cotton fabrics for sheets, down bedding covers, and duvet tickings.

3. Pima Cotton
    Pima cotton is in between Egyptian Cotton and American Upland long staple in length and price. It is a very good quality.

4. American Upland Long Staple
    This cotton is only "Long Staple" in comparison to American Upland Short Staple cotton. The American Upland cottons now comprise up to 90% of the worlds crop. They are much easier to grow and process, and are therefore much less costly. They are perfectly adequate for medium quality fabrics. They make poor downproof fabrics for duvets and pillows, as they will ultimately leak. They are also unsuitable for high thread count sheets, as they will feel limp and coarse after a few launderings. This is the cotton used in bargain duvets, and in inexpensive "luxury" sheets.

5. American Upland Short Staple
    A less expensive version of cotton, and a very basic quality. Suitable for denim for blue jeans.

6. Asia Short Staple
    Asia Short staple is very easy to grow and process, and hence makes very cheap cloth. Unfortunately, lightweight fabrics made from this cotton are very weak and limp. They wear out quickly, and launder poorly.
    Egyptian Cotton

The correct definition of this cotton is a particular variety of cotton noted for its very long and strong fibers. Just as tomatoes come in different varieties such as cherry and beefsteak, cotton also comes in many different specific varieties. Some are very inexpensive, and some, like true Egyptian cotton, are expensive.

In the world marketplace, many cheap cottons are also being referred to as "Egyptian Cotton". If an Egyptian Cotton article seems to be a very low price, it is probably not genuine. There are three things to be aware of when you are purchasing Egyptian cotton linens. First of all, there are the contents - Some fabrics are labeled as Egyptian cotton when in fact they have a tiny percentage of genuine Egyptian cotton ~ say 5% or so. Second of all, the definition of "Egyptian Cotton" in some dictionaries is simply any finely woven cotton ~ this does rather leave the door open. Lastly, cotton grown in the country of Egypt may sound expensive and high in quality, but can be any variety. Since American Upland cottons (which are a much shorter fiber) now comprise 90% of the world's crop, it is a safe assertion that this might be in the package

Referring to the image on the right, the ivory colored sheet on the right sells for about four times as much money as the copper colored one on the left. They are both 300 Thread Count fabrics, both feel very nice and soft to the touch, and they are both labeled as being Egyptian cotton. You cannot normally see the difference, so the customer is left wondering why they should pay the higher price.

If you compare these same fabrics magnified many times, you can now see the difference. There is an enormous difference in the quality of these two fabrics. The genuine Egyptian cotton has a very smooth surface, with only an occasional tiny fiber raised from the surface. The copper colored fabric has many fiber ends standing up. It is obviously made from an inexpensive, short staple cotton, because of this "furring".
    Both 300 thread count fabrics: One made with genuine Egyptian cotton (right), and the other made with cheap, short staple cotton (left).

The long fibers in Egyptian cotton have a lot more surface and length to "grab" each other, with a lot fewer ends to lift out of the thread. This makes the thread much stronger, and the resulting fabric much smoother and more resistant to pilling.
    The long fiber of the Egyptian cotton means that there are very few breaks between the fibers when twisted into a thread. However the short fibers of cheap cotton mean that there are many breaks. There are a lot more fiber ends and these show up on the surface.

The short fibers in cheap cottons mean the thread will be much weaker, with a lot more ends to lift out of the thread. The resulting fabric will wear out much faster, and be far more likely to pill.

There are many other factors that will affect the quality of the fabric. These factors include: the way the thread is spun, the way it is woven, and the way it is dyes and finished. There are many technical variances. There are good methods, and there are cheap methods. The good methods result in fabrics that will remain soft, lustrous, and a pleasure to own. The cheap methods result in fabrics that are cheap, that will pill quickly, and wear out too soon. They are not a pleasure to own.
    Just like Egyptian cotton is a high quality species of cotton, GIZA is one of the highest qualities of all the varieties of Egyptian cottons. Most of St.Geneve bed linens are made of GIZA Egyptian cotton. It is grown in Egypt and Turkey as well as a few other countries where conditions have to be ideal. Because the fibers are so long, it actually has to be hand harvested in order to keep the fibers intact. Machine harvesting damages the strands.

GIZA is the Egyptian cotton of choice for very high quality cotton goods. It is found in the very best bed linens and in the very best towels. It is also used for the highest qualities of embroidery thread.

As with anything in this world, if you educate yourself you will make informed decisions. The most uninformed decision is one based solely on price. This is usually because you end up paying too much because the article does not perform, and you have to go through the whole process all over again.
    Weave Types

Yarns

Fabric is woven from "Weft" yarns, which run sideways across the loom, and therefore across the fabric; and "Warp" yarns, which run along the length of the fabric.

Types of Weaves

In weaving, yarns are interlaced according to preset patterns, or weaves. The yarn count and number of warp and weft yarns to the square inch determine the closeness or looseness of a weave. Woven fabrics may also be varied by the proportion of warp yarns to weft yarns. The most basic weaves are plain, satin, and twill.

Plain

The plain weave is the simplest of all weaves, a simple over and under, alternating each thread, to make a "checkerboard" pattern. It is also the strongest of the basic weaves because the yarns are tightly interlaced. The advantage of this weave is that the very light cloths can be achieved, so it is suitable for making the very lightest down proof fabric for duvets. However, it is quite plain in appearance.

Satin

The surface of satin weave cloth is almost made up entirely of warp or filling floats*, since in the repeat of the weave each yarn of the one system passes or floats over (or under) all but one yarn of the opposite yarn system. While the highest thread counts are made with this weave, the resulting fabric weighs a little more than what can be achieved with plain weaves. It is very pleasing to the eye, and may have a simple, smooth lustrous appearance, or have patterns woven into it. Sateen is a particular style of satin weave.

*Simply put, the float is the portion of the yarn that you see, which extends over two or more threads.

Sateen
    The difference between satin and sateen is the fact that sateen floats are made up of weft yarns, rather than of warp yarns.

Twill
    Denim is the best known twill. It is identified by the quite visible diagonal lines in the fabric, and is often a simple "over two, under one" weave. Heavier fabrics are made this way, and they are suitable for featherproof applications such as feather pillows and featherbeds.
    Jersey and damask are other ways of weaving fabrics. Jersey fabrics are stretchier but not as smooth as normal plain (percale) or sateen cottons. Damask is another way of saying Jacquard fabrics, these are usually done for decorative purposes, usually only intended for use on duvet covers and decorative pillows/shams. Plain (percale) or Sateen are usually the most desirable weave types for high quality sheeting.
    Thread Count
    Thread Count is Not the Whole Story...
    Thread count is simply a measure of how many threads are present in a square inch of fabric. It is a combination of the number of horizontal and vertical threads found in that square inch.

Thread count is one relatively minor measure of quality in a fabric. The quality of the fiber used to make the thread is far more important than the thread count of the fabric. To make high thread count fabrics, thread must be spun very fine in order to fit a lot into a square inch.

It is entirely appropriate to use short staple cotton for fabrics such as denim, canvas and other heavier fabrics. However, when it is used to make fine threads, they are too weak, and the resulting fabric will be unsatisfactory.

Start With Good Cotton Fiber ...

Low quality thread makes a low quality 300 thread count fabric
    These fabrics have the same 300 thread count. The one on the left is of a much lower quality. You can see that the threads are of an uneven size, which results in an uneven weave. There are thin patches throughout this fabric. This will cause the fabric to wear out faster and launder poorly, as it is only as strong as its weakest areas. Poor quality thread is spun from cheap shorter staple cottons.

High quality thread makes a high quality 300 thread count fabric
    The fabric on the right is a German made sateen. The mill started with a high quality thread to weave this cloth. It is even, smooth, luxurious and it will provide many years of service. This thread is spun from a more expensive long staple cotton.
    Good quality long staple cotton will spin into good quality thread, and good quality thread will weave into good quality fabric. All three stages must be completed in a quality fashion, or the result will be inferior. Some fabrics will appear to be a bargain, but they won't be a pleasure to use, and they won't last. While not obvious on the surface, you can see that close magnified inspection shows a surprisingly large difference.
    Twisted Yarns
    There are some genuinely good reasons for the production of "twisted yarns". These are threads that are made by taking very fine threads, and twisting them around each other in the same way that rope is made. Actual rope is much stronger made this way than if it was just a bundle of parallel fibers. In the same way, twisted yarns can make a thread that is stronger and smoother than regular thread. Sewing thread is made up of twisted yarns to make it strong enough for stitching.

However, twisted yarns are not appropriate for down proof cloth, as the resulting fabric tends to be heavier and not as soft. It is wonderful for sheets and pillowcases, as it can be quite supple, and is actually thicker feeling than single ply fabrics. Single ply cotton down proof products will go up to 360 TC or so. Silk will go up to about 450 TC. You may find some duvets with thread counts such as 600 - these are twisted yarns, and we don't recommend them.

Twisted yarn sheets however, can be quite wonderful. They will last longer, launder better and be more resistant to pilling, provided they have been well milled out of long staple cotton. Unfortunately, some mills have been producing very high thread count fabrics by employing twisted yarns made from cheap cotton. As always, you get what you pay for.

In Canada, the law states that thread count is determined by the threads used in the actual weaving - no matter how many yarns or strands make up those threads. USA law is less specific, and thread counts are generally stated by how many yarns or strands went into the fabric. So you may have a fabric legally labeled in Canada as a "two ply 300 thread count", and in the USA it would be labeled as 600 thread count. Please be aware that a lot of packaging in Canada is to USA standards, and is not legal in Canada. If you see a "600 Thread Count" in Canada - it is in all likelihood to be a two or three ply thread.

This close-up shows a two ply thread that has been 'untwisted' to show its construction

budgy

Reply #3 Apr 21, 2011 6:06 pm Quote

If you want to look at the best cotton sheets available, try to find brands like St. Geneve, Sferra, SDH. These companies bring in REAL egpytian cotton fabrics. Most will also send swatches at little or no cost.

Follow this link for pictures of fibers

Here is a link that might be useful: scoll down to budgy

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

The SDH sheets for a king with deep pockets are a mere $1,237 lol. Well I think I'll keep looking for the cotton bamboo microcotton sheets. I would love to try out the SDH's though...maybe at one of my rich friends houses.

• natal
    12 years ago

I have some Sferra sheets too. They look and feel great but...they are a pain to iron, and I almost break my fingers and thumbs putting on the fitted sheets as they are such a tight fit.

The Sferra sheets at our Tuesday Morning do not have deep pockets. I've checked a number of times.

The long fibers in Egyptian cotton have a lot more surface and length to "grab" each other, with a lot fewer ends to lift out of the thread. This makes the thread much stronger, and the resulting fabric much smoother and more resistant to pilling.

I bought a set of Egyptian cotton sheets at Penney's that started pilling after the second washing.

• blubird
    12 years ago

Was in a Tuesday Morning last week when I spied Sferra sheets. Actually a woman near me gasped and dropped the package of sheets back on the table, so I looked to see what had upset her. The set of queen size sheets were $650...the king was $750. Really....in Tuesday Morning!

Helene

• sis3
    12 years ago

Natal it isn't just the pockets that are shallow, the width and length of the Sferra sheets (California King) seem to be the exact size of the mattress so I have to lever them on, painfully!

lukkiirish the thought about synthetic fibers in the microfiber sheets has crossed my mind too. Its a sobering thought and I would be very disappointed if I found any detriment to using microfiber sheets. The same caution would also apply to clothing as much of it contains synthetic fibers these days. I prefer to wear natural fibers but for my running clothes I certainly find the new synthetics cooler and they wick away moisture far better than natural fibers do.

• natal
    12 years ago

And it's not just the synthetic fibers ... the finishes applied to fabric to make clothing and sheets wrinkle-free often contain formaldehyde.

Here is a link that might be useful: When Wrinkle-Free Also Means Formaldehyde Fumes

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Natal, maybe your JCP Eqyption cotton sheets only had a tiny percentage of genuine Egyptian cotton. See below.

In the world marketplace, many cheap cottons are also being referred to as "Egyptian Cotton". If an Egyptian Cotton article seems to be a very low price, it is probably not genuine. There are three things to be aware of when you are purchasing Egyptian cotton linens. First of all, there are the contents - Some fabrics are labeled as Egyptian cotton when in fact they have a tiny percentage of genuine Egyptian cotton ~ say 5% or so. Second of all, the definition of "Egyptian Cotton" in some dictionaries is simply any finely woven cotton ~ this does rather leave the door open. Lastly, cotton grown in the country of Egypt may sound expensive and high in quality, but can be any variety. Since American Upland cottons (which are a much shorter fiber) now comprise 90% of the world's crop, it is a safe assertion that this might be in the package

• natal
    12 years ago

Could be. I took them back. Have never been tempted to buy Egyptian cotton since.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Gee, from the sounds of the post by budgy buying sheets are getting about as complicated as finding a good mattress. You just don't know what's in there anymore.
    Remember back in the day when you could count on certain brands for quality? Those days seem to be about over. Back in the day even cheap furniture was put together well. Now you have to spend mid to mid high to get cheap furniture that will stay put together for a few years but you still get a horrible finish. It's hit or miss even with tools. Remember when there were certain brands of tools you knew would be half way decent? Remember when Craftmans used to be good? Now it's all crap!
    Everything takes research before you buy and it sure get's tiring.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Remember back in the day when you could count on certain brands for quality?

Funny you should mention that. I almost brought it up in my post above. My absolutely all time favorite set of sheets are some my mom passed down to me in the early 80's for camping. She didn't use much them anymore (full size) and she had them a long time before giving to me. 100% white cotton from Sears (an old label). Those puppies are vintage. Yet still today every stitch is intact, they're white as snow, smooth, cool, substantial yet lightweight and sooo soft. I've never found any that come close to feeling like those ones do. I love them and still use them for travel/camping to this day!

• Dtkaty
    12 years ago

I'm a long time lurker peeking out! Several years ago I bought a king set of Christy sheets, 450 count, at Sams.
    I LOVE these sheets b/c they wash beautifully, feel a bit like sateen.
    The fitted sheet really & truly fits my deep memory foam mattress.
    I don't need oxygen after trying to put it on.The flat sheet is very generously cut, to where there's enough fabric to tuck in at the bottom & not get short sheeted.
    When I bought them at Sams, the set came with 4 pillowcases, but I think they only offer 2 at Sams now.I just found a set on Amazon that has 4 cases, so I bought them while i can still find them.I wash this set 2x/wk & they still look terrific. I think Christy's is an English company.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

I'd like to piggy-back on Sis's Costco recommendation. The very best sheets I've ever bought came from Costco! (These Costco sheets were much better than the Sferra, Peacock Alley and Porthault sheets I regularly buy from Tuesday Morning.) Ralph Lauren sheets were also very good --

I'd also like to recommend the Spalena line sometmes sold at Costco. Though they're microfiber as opposed to cotton, the fabric is just incredible! Last time they came to my Costco, I bought a Spalena robe because they had exactly the light weight and silky feel I was looking for. Kudos to the exceptional customer service, because the only color I could wear (their tea green) was no longer available, and I just can't wear 'cream' as it makes me disappear in a pale blond blob... But they called the warehouse and found one in my size, then sent it to me directly at the Costco discounted price.

Anyway, I told them then that if I was ever in a position to offer a positive reference, I would, and this is it! That was probably about five years ago, but that bathrobe is still going strong! Looks great, wears like a dream, washes beautifully -- still looks brand new after several years of hard daily wear. By hard daily wear, I mean I work from home, and some days don't even get out of my robe until after lunch ;-) When it's so comfortable and I'm not going anywhere, why change?... Anyway -- the fabric is incredible. Cool, soft, breathable.

If Spalena ever comes back to our Costco, I'm buying more sheets (no matter what they cost) and would heartily advise all of my online friends to do the same.

• Boopadaboo
    12 years ago

Does anyone have an opinion on Pottery Barn Organic sheets?

• Dtkaty
    12 years ago

You may not get Costco's price, but the Spalena sheets are available online from several sources.
    Now I'm tempted to change from Christy to Spalena.

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

I'm always willing to learn something new so I researched the Christy and Spalena sheets. The Christy sheets are not made in China but the Spalena sheets are. I'm would be very skeptical of buying a sheet that is not even made of cotton that is made in China.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

I'm thinking of getting these for the guest room. Anyone tried?

Here is a link that might be useful: 60%bamboo 40% egyptian cotton

• Meg Rogers
    6 years ago

Just purchased Pottery Barn pearl "organic" sheet set. IT IS HORRIBLE. When it first arrived, it was love at first sight... beautiful quality so I thought. After washing, I was stunned. These sheets are my worst nightmare. No one, especially millenials, generally spend two-three hours ironing their sheets. These require MORE care. I washed them in warm water, and both air dried and machine dried (slightly damp). THEY ARE A MESS of hard, embedded wrinkles that even a committed ironing person as myself cannot remove. I ironed one pillowcase for 40 min, with top rated spray starch and COULD NOT REMOVE MAJORITY OF WRINKLES. I don't know whether to toss these in the trash or cut them up for rags, but it was a total waste of my hard earned money. Pottery Barn, known for its quality, should be ashamed.

• Bourbon Milkshake
    6 years ago

I too have found a lot of recently-made bedding pill unacceptably while sheets my grandmother bought when she got married back in the day still look as smooth as new after decades of continuous use (they've only gotten thinner from wear). Newer cotton sheets are made with shorter fibers, the yarns less twisted, and the fabric less tightly woven. I don't think "organic" cotton makes a difference in pilling and in fact if "organic" raw material is costlier, then brands might feel compelled to make more shortcuts elsewhere.

• Rebecca
    6 years ago

People iron sheets?

• Bourbon Milkshake
    6 years ago

@Rebecca That sure sounds like a drag, doesn't it!

• Amanda s
    6 years ago
    Boll and branch and parachute are the best I’ve owned. Not cheap but worth it
  • gerdyp
    6 years ago

For the winter months, I love Pinzon flannel sheets from Amazon. Even though they are on the heavier side, they also have a coolness to them. Very soft and comfy!