Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

wallpaper removed this week - yippee!!

3katz4me
10 years ago

I'm so excited I got wallpaper of 20+ years vintage removed this week. Entry wallpaper I inflicted upon myself about 20 years ago. Guest bathroom wallpaper came with the house when we bought it 22 years ago so who knows how old that is. People on a decorating forum would be appalled at what I've lived with. I didn't mind it at first, pretty unobtrusive pattern and then I just never felt like taking time to deal with it.

Finally I started thinking how the stuff is going to have to go before we sell our house some day and I'll be darned if I'm going to make it all nice and fresh right before I move. Oh no - I'm going to do it early enough to enjoy it for a few years.

I have one more hallway and guestroom to go but one step at a time. That project will include replacing some carpet too and cleaning all the crap out of two closets and purging a bunch of it if I can convince DH with hoarding tendencies to part with anything.

I'm also getting new carpet on my entry stairs and a coordinating runner for my hallway. Current runner I picked out about 20 years ago also. I still like it but it's wearing out. Also have picked out carpet for my guestroom/hallway but won't get started on that until I'm done with entry and bathroom. Getting a few new things for the bathroom including a new custom vanity. The current one is such junk and again I have lived with it for 22 years.

You would truly be appalled.....

Comments (6)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

We sort of did the same thing the last two years. Putting 3 kids through college, we didn't do much with the house for a number of years. It started with a kitchen reno...then DS announced his engagement and we jumped into gear to redo the rest of the main level knowing lots of friends and family would be coming. The wedding was last April...and I still need to do some accessorizing...so hard to pick things. We are nearing retirement and will sell in a few years and I felt the same way...I wanted to enjoy the house and not just fix it up to sell.

Have fun....it will be such a sense of accomplishment when it's done and you will love it every time you walk through the door. Post pics when you finish!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

How exciting for you to make all these changes. And very wise to do it now and enjoy it instead of making it just so to sell.

Did you remove the wallpaper or hire it out? Last year when I removed some wallpaper, in one room it removed like a dream and the other was a struggle. Fortunately, the struggle was the smaller room.

The project we have planned this year is siding and probably the roof. All I'll be required to do is pick the colors. I like that kind of project.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

YAY Gibby! I only removed wallpaper once, it wasn't fun. Now of course I think I might like some in another space.

I think we're in the same spot! Lots to do here, hoarding DH, and we're thinking of selling eventually. I'd like to take 3 years, DH would like to do it sooner. That's the only thing I can use to get him to get some of this stuff done.

Beth P.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I paid someone to remove it - not cheap by any means but well worth it in my opinion. I considered doing the bathroom but not the vaulted foyer. Then I realized there's no way I'm going to allocate the time to do this. I've been removing border and painting at our weekend lake place and that's taken me years to get done.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Speaking of hoarding husbands:
    My husband collects sports cards and other sports related junk. Sorry that's judgemental, I should use a nice neutral word like stuff.

No exaggeration when I say part of his collection fills a bedroom closet. The kind with double sliding doors, so what, 5 feet wide maybe?

In addition to a few things on display, I also have boxes under beds and in other closets. Drives. Me. Crazy.

Whenever I think I have too much of my own stuff I only need to open that closet. But I avoid it. I keep giving away my extra stuff - books, housewares, clothes - and I try not to think about his stuff. He'll have to deal with it when the time comes to downsize.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to really start purging my own stuff - have been doing a little here and there. My fear though is that his stuff will expand to fill the space I've vacated.....

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz