Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nee_suero

A long, sad tale about ordering a dishwasher

suero
10 years ago

It started last January. My dishwasher took it upon itself to open before it was finished washing. That's a symptom that the door latch needed replacing. So I called KitchenAid to schedule a repair, even though the dishwasher was no longer under warranty.
The repairman came out, replaced the latch, and couldn't get the door to close. So he kept slamming the door until he broke the door. At this point, I told the repairman that I'd had it. He replaced the new latch with the old one, I paid him for the service call, he left, and I went out to look for a new dishwasher, taking a stack of dishes with me.
I went to a few appliance stores, getting quotes and determining that my dishes would only fit in a KitchenAid dishwasher. Oh, if only Bosch didn't have such teeny tiny spaces between the tines.
I also filled out a survey that KitchenAid had emailed to me, in which I stated how dissatisfied I was with the non-repair.
DH and I had decided on a dishwasher and were just about to contact one of the salespeople we had spoken to when we got a phone call from KitchenAid Customer Service. They were willing to sell us a new dishwasher for 50% of what we had been quoted by the dealer. It would take one or two weeks for delivery. I figured I could wash dishes by hand for one or two weeks, so I said yes to their offer.
One week passed, so I called the service number to speak to the rep and ask how my order was coming along. Well, it had been snowing in the Midwest, as you doubtless remember, and shipments were delayed. Okay, that seemed like a reasonable excuse, so I waited a week and called again. BTW, whenever I left a message requesting a call back, I never got one. The only way I was able to find out the status of my order was to initiate the call.
This week's excuse was that the product arrived damaged and had to be sent back. Well, of course I didn't want a damaged dishwasher, so I had to wait another one to two weeks for my new dishwasher.
Now I had been without a dishwasher for a month and a half. This time when I called Customer Service I was told that the dishwasher hadn't been damaged; it had been discontinued. But they would send me a better dishwasher for the same price as the discontinued model. That sounded good, so I agreed to the deal.
I called a week later to find out the status of my order and learned that the dishwasher was on back order, but the order should be filled on March 6, which was two months after I had placed my initial order. I called on March 6 to find out what was happening. Nothing was happening. I called a week later and was told that my order was in and that it would be installed by an appliance dealer, not the one that had bungled the initial repair.
I hadn't heard from the appliance dealer, so a few days later, I called the dealer and discovered that they had told KitchenAid that they would not do the installation and they had refused delivery of the dishwasher. KitchenAid Customer Service had known that the dealer had refused to do the installation when they told me that this dealer would be installing the dishwasher.
At this point I was beginning to get angry. I called Customer Service and was told that because the dealer had refused delivery, the dishwasher was on reorder and that someone would call me back before the end of the day with details on when and who would be installing my dishwasher. I was hoping that it would be installed that week because I had a whole slew of house guests arriving later that week.
Of course, no one called back, that day or ever.
On March 21 I called once again. This time I had the name of another appliance service and a date to expect the installation. It would be March 25 or 26. That, of course was after my guests had left. Thankfully, they did help with the dishes while they were here. But they also dirtied more dishes and pots and pans, too.
The dishwasher finally arrived. Today, March 27. It's installed. I ran the first load of dishes. The dishwasher is so quiet, that I didn't think it was working until I put my ear close to the dishwasher. The dishes came out sparkling clean, too.
Finally, the story has a happy ending.

Comments (17)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OMG, you deserve a happy ending.

Sometimes, I think we are turning into a third world country with the way firms do business! They should be ashamed of themselves.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Whew, I'm glad it had a happy ending but how frustrating waiting to get there.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Wow, after all the bad news, I was waiting for more bad news and an unhappy ending. So glad you finally got a dishwasher and it is quiet and you are happy. But good gravy, it should not be this dang hard!

• suero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, it should not be that hard. And Customer Service should serve the customer, no lie to the customer.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I am glad it was resolved to your satisfaction, tho' way beyond a reasonable time period. I thought the story was going to end when you bought a new set of dishes and ordered a Bosch!

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Why did the dealer refuse to accept the dishwasher and do the install? Was it the same dealer who had sent the first guy out to replace the latch and then the door broke?

Also, I've never bought a dishwasher -- I would never have thought to take some dishes with me to the stores! So thank you for that -- maybe if/when that day comes, that nugget of info will jump out of the depository of less-useful stuff I have in my head!)

(And hopefully KitchenAid checks its reputation in Web searches and this one will come up!)

• springroz
    10 years ago

You should send that story to every KA manager you can find!!

• lee676
    10 years ago

> Also, I've never bought a dishwasher -- I would never have thought to take some dishes with me to the stores!

I did the opposite - bought some new plates that would better fit my dishwasher. I bought a used, near top-of-the-line Miele dishwasher for less than a cheap builder-grade new one would have cost, and love the design of the racks too much to give it up. Heavy pots, pans, and dinner plates go on the top rack so you can reach them without leaning down (a problem for my pain-ridden back), and lightweight cups and glasses go on the bottom. Why do most dishwashers have it the other way around?

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I'm so glad your story had a happy ending and I admire your perseverance. I would have given up way before.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Congratulations to you for staying on top of KitchenAid! I would have been steaming at the point where the dealer refused to do the installation.

Lee676, that's an interesting set-up for a dishwasher and makes some sense. I hate those silverware trays, though. It's so much easier to dump a silverware basket on a dish towel on the counter to put flatware away.

• lee676
    10 years ago

I'm not sure about that silverware tray either; it's removable, and I've considered removing it which would allow for even more height on the top rack. That's why I put that little cutlery basket on the lower rack, which isn't original to the machine (since taking this pic I've replaced it with a larger one made to fit this machine).

Kitchenaid BTW is owned by Whirlpool and their appliances are thinly-disguised Whirlpool designs. Kitchenaid is still living off the reputation of their old dishwashers and stand mixers from decades ago back when they were made by commercial appliance maker Hobart. If you bought a Kitchenaid mixer or dishwasher in the 1960s or '70s, it's probably still working. I know, I see them in houses for sale frequently, still chugging away.

• suero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The appliance store that would not do the installation was NOT the repair service place that originally broke my old dishwasher. I had told the KitchenAid rep that I did not want the repair service place to install the new dishwasher and KitchenAid was willing to honor my request.
    As time went on, I did seriously think about getting different dishes that would fit a Bosch dishwasher.
    I tested out a different cycle on yesterday's dishes, including cooked on food, and everything came out spotless. I'm happy with the new dishwasher; I just wish I could have been this happy a month ago.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I've never had dishes that didn't fit a dishwasher -- that seems strange to me.

make sure you post appropriate reviews for the repair service and appliance dealer on google, and Angie's list, if that's available to you

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

I often hear people complain about dishes not fitting in the FP,but not a traditional DW. Are they large? We are all curious now.

Glad it is resolved, in any event.

• suero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the dishes are large and the bowls that we use every day are straight-sided, about 1 1/2" high.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

You are very patient. So what model did you get? Does it have a filter that is easy to get to?

• suero
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the dishwasher has a filter. I guess that it's easy to get to, but I haven't checked it out yet. I'm still trying out the various cycles. Dishes are still coming out super clean. Model is KDTE334D.