Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is iheartgiantschnauzer back from Nevis yet??

Posted by sueb20 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 16:30

If so, we need a trip report! I hope it was a wonderful, warm, restful trip.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is iheartgiantschnauzer back from Nevis yet??

I saw the headline. Thought I would respond b/c I'm not sure when IHGS will check in. They came home over the weekend. The trip was fantastic. Hiking, monkeys, chartered sailing, snorkeling, weather, resort were all great. She told me she needs a vacation to recover from the vacation! Sadly, she got discouraging news from the doc today. BIL said they were prepared and are taking it in stride. He said she plans on resting all week in hopes that she will be up to our family trip to the sweet 16. (He's a ul fan, she is a uk fan and my husband and I are UT fans-- all 3 will be playing in indianapolis) The game may seem silly to outsiders, but it is a university of kentucky tradition she wants to share with her young son.

I'll be sure to tell her you asked. I hope she will feel well enough to share a report later this week or over the weekend.

This post was edited by NashvilleBuild42 on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 23:40

o

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about her and it's good to know they had a wonderful vacation. I'm sorry to learn about the discouraging news. I'll continue to keep Iheart and the family in my prayers.

On a lighter note - I wonder what the odds are of 3 of your teams playing in the sweet 16? My brother went to UK and he's already planning his game night festivities. He won't be attending but there will be a little bit of Kentucky in Philly this weekend. My SIL even breaks out her Derby hat for good luck when the Wildcats are in the playoffs.

o

Than you, Nashville. She has crossed my mind several times lately. She's made me think a lot about a perfect vacation if I had the chance. I'm still deciding.

All my teams are out -- Syracuse, St. Joe's, Villanova, -- and Temple was never even in it. Presuming we are talking men's basketball, of course! We also have three Dukies in the family but I find it hard to root for them. They are out anyway.

I love your family tradition and hope your team(s) win. Most of all, I hope IHGS is there to cheer them on and enjoy the tradition with her son. Rest up, IGHS! Report in when you can.

o

Thanks Nash. Sending caring thoughts to the whole family.

o

Ditto.

o

Im glad she had a wonderful time.....hope she's feeling better soon and can enjoy the playoffs. She's in our thoughts.

o

Thank you, I'll pass everything along unless she checks in before hand.
Marie, crazy odds! It will be fun, i hope she will have the strength to come with us. My inlaws are huge Louisville fans. IHGS is clearly not. But my inlaws are having fun riding her about this game. Funny note her dad took her to her first Final Four when she was 3 or 4. The cats lost to Georgetown. Years later, she graduated from Georgetown! Now her husband keeps teasing that their son will graduate from Louisville b/c UL will win! I felt compelled to point out he will graduate from UT b/c the vols will get revenge in the elite 8! Too funny about the derby hat. Sports traditions are often amusing when viewed from the outside!
Ded, I thought nova had a real shot. Like you,I find it hard to root for Duke. My SIL jokingly disowns three of her duke educated relatives every March. Keep thinking about that vacation. I have started planning one for my own family. We will take it sooner rather than later as life can be cruelly short.

o

Thanks for the update Nashville, and hope IHGS gets stronger with her vacation from the vacation soonest! Totally understand that one! I too love your family tradition for the round-ball games. Don't really have a huge favorite but guess I will root for UT or UK being from the SEC and all. Tell her we've been thinking about her recently and send hugs!

o

Kentucky really came through for IHGS!! on to the final four!
Hope she had a great weekend of family fun. They sure won some awesome games.
I picked them to go the final game so I have been paying close attention this weekend:)

o

Hope IHGS is watching the finals tonight!

o

Ditto dedtired. My DH doesn't understand why I've all of a sudden become a UK fan!

There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of IHGS.

o

Well, darn.At least Kentucky gave UConn a run for their money. Oh well, next year.

Hope we hear an update soon from IHGS.

o

Im having trouble sleeping tonight, so I logged on the computer. This thread was exactly what I needed to see. You are all so nice to keep IHGS in your thoughts.

Last weekend was incredible! I'm not a UK fan, but became one temporarily for my SIL. We were going nuts with the back to back thrillers! It was such an incredible feeling to be in that crowd watching my nephew go crazy with his mom over their big blue. I think he'll remember that for life. Thanks to her friends, my sister and nephew even met a few players saturday. The nephew was so excited to have a julius autographed cap. My SIL was completely exhausted but never stopped smiling the entire weekend, even when she was so ill that sitting up was draining. I was shocked to see her so weak. She and the BIL joined us at Lucas oil for the second game only. They didn't think she would be able to sit through both the UT/UM game and the UK/UL game. He even carried her from the car to the house after the game. The romantic in me loved seeing that, but I had a hard time comprehending how she had gone from running 5 miles a few months ago to this. The leukemia has ravaged her.

I realized halfway through the game tonight I was hoping UK would win as a good omen. Startling observation as I am the least superstitious person I know. Her husband said she is sleeping more frequently and finally using the PCA pump. She has had a lot of visitors this week, and has apparently reached her limit of daily entertaining. They've decided to head to their lake house and have family rotate visits. We will visit Friday-Monday.

Tonight, the BIL posted a pic on instagram of the three of them in UK pajamas plus their 2 dogs (in UK bandanas!) piled in bed watching the game. Another picture showed IHGS, her son and her mother making blue slushies. The photos were bitterly sweet. I'm heartbroken and struggling with this transition. It is so hard to see someone so young losing a battle. She is the smartest, kindest, beautiful, creative, and adventurous person that I know. Tonight, I am so thankful that I know her and can call her both a friend and sister.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Lego- are you from KY? Very few people outside that state would have chosen the wildcats to advance to the final! Nice pick! Hope you won some $$!

Marlene- my SIL will be so happy to know a few GWers became UK fans during this tourney for her!

o

Words can't express how I feel hearing this news. Sending caring thoughts to you, IHeart , family and close friends.

o

I'm so sorry to hear this. My husband's family has been struck by leukemia and lymphoma (my FIL, BIL and now MIL). It is a vicious disease!

I'm happy that Iheart is spending this time with family and friends.

tina

o

I'm so deeply saddened to read this update. Wishing Iheart and all those surrounding her with love, peace and comfort.

o

I'm so glad you were all able to have a wonderful family weekend. I am putting all my healthy wishes to IHGS and her family.

o

Nashville, your description of IHGS is exactly how she comes across in her posts....and she has truly touched my heart. I am beyond saddened that she and her loved ones are going through this and you will all be in my thoughts, as you have been every day.

o

This just breaks my heart! Nashville, I can certainly understand why you can't sleep. It would tear me apart to even think about going through what you all are going through right now. I was about 7 when a dear aunt died of a vicious, at the time, rare form of leukemia and a dear friend lost her DH to lymphoma about 10 years ago. It must be beyond devastating to see IHGS go downhill so quickly.

I'm so thrilled you have been able to spend time together as a family. You know here in the SEC we were all pulling for UK! I have 2 good friends who are big UK fans - one our choir director who is an alum and another is a FB friend from Kentucky. They are of course disappointed but happy they competed well.

Sending peaceful, healing thoughts to all of you.

o

I am so sorry to see this news. Sending good thoughts and prayers.

ML

o

Thanks for checking in, Nashville, and for the happy/sad update. It's wonderful to hear how much IHGS enjoyed being at the games with her son. Oh how I was hoping Kentucky would pull it out for her last night!

I hope this last part of her journey is a peaceful one. My family went through this with my sister, who had ovarian cancer. It was difficult to watch but through the help of hospice care and a loving family, her final days were comfortable and she passed peacefully. Nevertheless, I feel her presence with me every day.

IHGS has really touched all of us with her courage and good humor throughout. I hope she knows how sharing her story has made each of us wiser and reminded us how life is a gift.

Hugs to you, IHGS.

o

Warm thoughts to you, IHGS and her entire family...

o

Oh my goodness how I am so sad to read this. I am glad to hear the sports weekend was a good family memory, but so sad to hear of her sickness. As a mom of an only son, I can just picture her family, rooting on her school, enjoying the special moments.

I am wishing for IHGS, her husband and precious son, and all of your family much comfort and peace. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

I am from WV, but have many good friends who graduated from UK. I won $20 in our family bet:) but didn't play the big pool I usually participate in, so missed out on about $1,000:) I would have been the only one to have KY in the final game.

Prayers to IGHS and all of your family.

o

I had no idea she was that sick. How very sad.

o

I am so sad to read this news. My heart goes out to IHGS and all of her family. Cancer is such a heart-breaking disease. I am sending up prayers and positive energy.

o

Thanks. I will pass on everyone's thoughts. Sue B, the doctors were trying to slow the progression of the disease,but it hasn't seemed to work as she has been declining so much. Atleast they had a wonderful few weeks in Nevis then the game last week. She told me she has been resting up all week so that we can get out on the lake this weekend. I hope I get all my sadness out before the weekend. The last thing she or my bil need is to comfort me. But my heart breaks each time I think about my nephew losing his mom, I don't know if I can make it through an entire weekend with the 3 of them without falling apart. I know I'm struggling with what to tell our own daughter. I can't imagine the conversations they have had with their son. Sorry my thoughts are rambling and this post is maudlin. Just thank you all for the kind words, it is comforting.

o

Keeping IHGS, you, and your families in my prayers. I am so very sorry <3

o

Nashville, your feelings are very normal. No need to apologize. I have a feeling from the type of person your SIL is, she would not want you to hide your feelings.

My heart is absolutely breaking for IHGS and her family and friends.

o

Do come here as often as you need too. Often times our IRL friends cannot be available 24/7, but here we can!

I know that last year when I had to major surgery, it was great to be able to jump here here for moral support.

o

I wish I knew something to say that would lessen the pain you're feeling. Just remember that all of us are here for you and are sending our hopes for peace and comfort for you and you family.

o

Nashville, we hurt for you too. It's bad enough on IHGS and her young son and DH, but often people forget the sisters, brothers and others in the family who hurt just as much, if not more so. I'm glad you are able to communicate with us and know we are here for you in your time of pain. Hold her hand and be with her and that's as much as is necessary sometimes.

o

Nashville, so sorry to read this news. Best to you, IHGS and family.

o

Nashville, your words, "bitter sweet" just seem so apt. Every time I read her abbreviated name (IHGS), my brain thinks hugs and that makes me smile every time I think of her.

I also wish you a visit that allows you time to laugh together and, if need be, cry together. I have no doubt that there is an enormous amount of positive energy heading IHGS's way and toward you as well. The whole thing is just so terribly sad.

o

Nashville, please send her my best. I had no idea. I have not been reading much here lately. Wishing all of you the strength you need.

Bee

o

I'm wondering how the weekend at the lake went. I hope IHGS was able to get out on the water with her son and husband. Hoping her journey is a peaceful one.

o

Thanks for those who sent their thoughts. I haven't felt much like facing reality since our weekend at the lake. Easter was even harder. We usually spend Easter with my family, but this time we joined IHGS and her family at her house. It was important to the husband and MIL we be there for BIL & nephew. to me as well. She is one of my closest friends. The difference in a week was shocking.

At the lake we did get out in the canoes.the runabout stayed on the lift as it would have been too jarring for her. She didn't paddle but had a great time. She took photos and had me take photos. Although she had to have an oxygen mask and backpack. She was alert and present the entire weekend. The kids had a ball with paint balloon war orchestrated by IHGS, game night and campfires and even a scavenger hunt she had set up that led us all over town while she napped. In a lot of ways she seemed a little stronger than the sweet 16. Everyone had a blast. SIL said nephew was so much happier that weekend. It really was like our normal lake weekends at their house. But Easter was a different story. She was sleeping more, half present when she was awake, weaker, basically bound to bed or sofa. She needed help to do any sort of personal grooming. I dont think she ate anything more than a few bites of soup or nutrition shakes the entire weekend. Her mother said it had been a quick decline that week much like IHGS's father. At times she was lucid like when she had a very frank discussion with my husband about how he needed to look after his brother and what type of woman her husband needed after her. Other times she would be half asleep yet talk to her dad as if he was in the room. He died when she was a teenager. We arent entireoy sure if this was the drugs or hallucinations caused by advancement of disease. Some want to believe she sees things now we can't. Maybe so. I found it a little eerie but sweet at the sometime. Mostly when she was alert she just wanted to be surrounded by her people. Very loving and gracious. Appreciative of who was around Us, her mom and brother, aunts uncles cousins. Somehow knowing she is handling this her way with her husbands unwavering support is comforting. It was also cute how her dogs never left her side.

My nephew who the weekend before wanted to play and play was more withdrawn and reluctant to leave his moms side. Watching him was the hardest part for me. I wish we could have stayed longer, but I think once she is gone my BIL may need us more. I'm thankful we were there the past two weekends to say our goodbyes and spend time. She has accepted dying and has been so giving and gracious in this process that I think all of us are in better places. It also helps knowing she pursued every medical avenue available and fought like h$!! for so long through so many iterations of this insipid disease.

All I can say is if you are ever in a similar situation consider hospice. It is wonderful organization that has brought so much peace to our family in this difficult time. I've not been through this before and the nurse was so helpful in explaining things. It also helps to have a loved one like my sister in law.

o

I am so very sorry Nashville.

IHGS is a very special person and if she touched my heart the way she has through her posts, I can only imagine the impact she has had with her family and friends.

You are and will be in my thoughts for a peaceful journey during this difficult time.

o

Thank you for sharing this with us. Marlene's thoughts are the same as mine. She was so kind and generous with her posts. My thoughts will be with her and your family.

o

Sending comforting hugs and thoughts. Thank you for keeping us posted in what is truly a very difficult time for you and the family.

o

Thank you, Nashville, for sharing this glimpse into your family's time with IHGS. I am so saddened by the turn of events with her health, but also at peace too knowing she has the love and care of her family and friends to guide her in her last earthly days.

Yes, hospice care is so wonderful. It has been almost 20 years since my mother died with cancer but I will never forget the care and concern of the hospice caregivers.

May the journey be peaceful. Hugs!

o

Thinking of you NB42 and IHGS and all of your family. I'm at a loss for words but will pray for you all. Thank you for the update.

o

Thanks, Nashville. I can't believe how much I have learned through IHGS' posts and yours. You have made all of us wiser. As I mentioned once before, I went through this with my own sister but I was kept a bit more at arm's length. It was just her immediate family and my mother, so I have learned even more from the two of you. Blessings to both of you.

o

I, too, am at a loss for words. Your posts about her are so beautifully written that it is easy to hear that she is well-loved and has been a very special person to all those who know her. I wish you all strength and peace as her journey through this progresses. I'm so glad she has chosen hospice to help.

o

Nashville---thank you for keeping us updated....I know how hard it must be for you to write about her condition. Our thoughts and hugs go out to all the family and especially to IHGS.

o

I am so sorry to hear of her illness. If I had read about it before, I didn't write it down and forgot about it. Tears are in my eyes as I read this post. I have so enjoyed reading her posts. My prayers are with her and your entire family, Nashville.

o

I am so sorry, too. I am not sure, but as far as I know this is the first time we are facing the loss of one of our frequent contributors, isn't it? It feels very odd in addition to very sad.

o

Nashville your pain is palpable in your update but thank you for taking the time to share with us. My heart breaks for her family and the time to come. IHGS has touched many lives and will be missed. <3

o

So sad. Wishing strength and peace to all of you during this time.

Nashville, in the near future when you have time, you should search GW and save all of Iheart's posts. I think this would be something her son might enjoy reading when he is older - a glimpse into his mother's life.

o

I am so sorry to hear this news, and I pray that her passing is peaceful. I also pray for comfort for you and all of those who love her. Having witnessed hospice caregivers in action, I have long considered them angels on earth.

o

In January IHGS postedto my request for prayers for my 16 year old grandson Will. She allowed that as a teenager she flew to Omaha for a consult on treatment. I did not know then that she was in a battle with cancer again. Several people have told me kids should not have cancer and now I think moms with little 5 year old children shouldn't either I am so sad for her and her family. Will has completed four rounds of chemo with two more to go. He seems to be doing well.
dorothy

o

Thank you all.

Chispa, I think my nephew will have a unique view of his moms life. My BIL threw my SIL a surprise retro frat party themed shindig. We weren't able to go, but it essentially was a living wake that went into the wee hours of the morning with people there she knew in grade school, highschool, college and post grad life as well as family. However in keeping with the frat theme, the guest could only get a "red solo cup" if they turned over a memory or story of LC. My BIL then had the memories all bound in a book for his wife. He told her it would help her smile on the rough days when she felt alone or worried she didn't leave enough of a footprint on the world. I saw the book a few weeks ago. Some of the stories are hilarious reincriminations of IHGS stubborn or mischievous side (like sneaking her dachshund into her back bag and into her kindergarten classroom so the dog could learn to talk too) to touching memories of kindness or slightly embarrassing but endearing memories. It was amazingly thoughtful. Some shared several short stories, others a detailed letter of why they loved her. It was so funny to see how she jotted rebuttal memories in the margins of some of those embarrassing stories or defenses or her own memory of the writers foolish endeavor. Just reading through it had some of us in stitches. Hopefully one day her son will appreciate the multiple views of his mother through other's memories or her short written retort.

But the coolest thing (IMO) is what IHGS did for him. She couldn't write letters to a future son at various milestones. But she wanted to leave him some piece of her or her thoughts or how she approached life. She spent days in the hospitals over the last few years really cultivating playlists from her vast itune collections. The playlists tell chapters in her life labeled as these were your lullabies aka i rocked the mothering thing or are labeled with identifying things as songs to impress your future date, this will help you get an a, fight for your right to pahty, expression of the teenage angst, yes I know your dad is impossible, etc etc... I think it's such a cool glimpse into who she is and how she thinks. I think it's something he can go back to several times in life and listen with new understanding...

Dorothy, I'm so glad to see your grandson is doing well. So much has changed from the time IHGS was a teen. The chemo is now so targeted and less harsh. Her particular chemo regimen is no longer available because they discovered a large percentage of the teenagers ended up developing new refractory cancers years later. Basically these kids would beat one to have something else pop up. Usually a transplant cured them, but not IHGS. She had the wicked trifecta of poor genetics, exposure to environmentsk dangers as a kid, and then the toxic demo, Her leukemia was termed beautiful and wickedly smart, mutating with each new treatment. anyway as IHGS would say hope your grandson is soon "hanging with NED at the cool kids table". Ned = no evidence of disease. I'll keep you, your gs, snd his parents in my thoughts.

Cancer sucks no matter what the age. It's so sad to see it cheat kids and teens of their belief in invincibility.

o

Nashville I am so sorry to hear this. Your words are beautiful, it is clear that you love her and that she is an incredible person. Thank you for sharing this.
It sounds like her son will have some fabulous insights into his mom. What great gifts those will be for him.
I am touched by your story. Cancer sucks and life is incredibly hard to understand.
Continuing to wish for peace and strength for all of you involved. IHGS sure seemed to have a love of life!

o

Nash, you are all in my thoughts. Thank you for sharing.

o

I'm so beyond sorry for all of you, particularly her young son.....

o

Thoughts and prayers here for all of you.

o

I wish you all comfort, peace, and joyous memories.

o

Nash,
Thank you for taking the time to keep us all updated.
Please give ihgs all of our love.
Both of you will be in my prayers.

o

I just have no words to express my heart-felt sympathy and, yes, anger too. God bless you all, and may your shared love give you strength and peace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here