Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

iPad covers/folios?

gsciencechick
12 years ago

Just got an iPad2 yesterday--yay! I hope to use it for some upcoming travel.

There are so many case options. I see there is one that is a magnetic cover that just covers the screen from the Apple store. I don't necessarily need a hard shell case either, but I'm open to leather.I see some that are tri-fold and some that are sleeves. Lots of different designs on places like CafePress.

So, what you you recommend? Thanks.

Comments (16)

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

This is absolutely my favorite case ever. It comes in different colors. It has the magnetic automatic sleep function, but what I love best is being able to change the orientation of my iPad so easily. I just lay it flat and swivel it. That's perfect when I'm switching back and forth between Zynga games with my friends and other landscape-based activities.

I don't know anything about this particular seller. I think I bought mine through eBay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Case

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I love the Smart Cover from Apple--have it on my iPad 2. Will likely get some sort of carrying case/bag for my iPad as well, for toting it around, but I like the streamlined design and functionality of the Smart Cover.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I love Apple's Smart Cover. The cover hardly ever falls off. Since I don't like taking my iPad out of the house, I don't need a case for it. But the cover saves my place and I can come back to it a few hours later.

I also like the screen protector film but it's hard to put on.

• blubird
    12 years ago

I originally bought the Smart Cover, but I found that the back of the iPad was getting scratched and the Cover kept coming off, so I bought this one from Amazon....

Helene

Here is a link that might be useful: case

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Blubird, they make a cover for the back of the iPad to keep it from scratching. It fits the Smart Cover also. This cover won't protect the iPad from falls, but it keeps the back looking nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Protector

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I forgot. I thought you all would be interested in this. On the news the other day they said the sales of PC's have gone down because of iPads. Wow!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoo, thanks, everyone, lots of options here! Unless I go out to the mall, I doubt I will have anything before Tuesday when I travel for overnight. We don't plan to do a whole lot of travel with it. I have my big conference in June in San Francisco, and I definitely want to take it along to take notes while in the sessions and for using other travel-related apps. They are also giving the choice of receiving the abstracts electronically vs. getting something the size of a large-city phone book to take back home, so I already registered for the electronic option.

Our senior kitty loves to spend time in DH's lap, so using the iPad will be easier than for him trying to balance his laptop.

Oakley, both of us got new laptops last summer, and I tried to encourage DH to get the iPad since he does not do anywhere as much work from home as I do using Microsoft Office programs. I agree, if you are only using it for email, web use, photos, most people probably don't need a desktop or laptop.

I've only had it two days, and I love it!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

GS, they're addicting, aren't they? Be warned though. Some friends were over the other day and after they left I discovered one of them took pictures on my iPad without me knowing. Then I went to Safari and saw a website they put up of their business, just for fun.

But the thing is, iPads are very personal and are really like a Diary. People can easily see where you go and read your mail. I didn't discover that until a few days after I had it.

I'm not hiding anything, but I don't like anyone to see what I do.

Now when I know someone is coming over, I put it in the bedroom. lol

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I'm very paranoid about personal security. I never log into email while away unless on a secure network. I can use the iPhone for that. We don't host a lot of parties, but even so we put our laptops away in the BR, too.

• les917
    12 years ago

I don't know if you saw this earlier thread, so I thought I would post the link. Lots of discussions about covers, etc in this, too.

ipad thread

• blubird
    12 years ago

oakleyok,

I know that now there are backs available, however, when I bought my iPad with Smart Cover a year ago, no one had yet produced a back cover so that's when I bought the case. Today there are lots of choices....

Helene

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was at the mall where the Apple store is located (gosh, you'd never know there is a recession because the store was packed on a Mon afternoon), so I bought the smart cover. It seems like it will work well for our purposes. However, it's good to know there are other options out there.

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

We have that smart cover and a lightweight stretchy fabric sleeve for when it gets shoved into a briefcase or some other travel bag. Can't remember the brand of sleeve and DH has it with him at the moment. The smart cover was great for around the house but not enough protection when traveling.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the sleeve! I'll probably be OK with the smartcover for just overnight and for home use, but maybe for my conference multi-day travel I will want a sleeve.

• maddielee
    12 years ago

Oak, If friends are using it without your knowledge you might want to add a passcode.

ML

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Maddie, I do have a passcode. But this only happened once, so now I know to put it away if I know someone is coming over.

I had the smart cover on it and never thought anyone would pick it up and play with it. It was a guy who was being funny, and he probably doesn't see the iPad as being private like I do. lol

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs