Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyingflower

'Gardenweb not running due to long-running script' ???

flyingflower
12 years ago

What is this weird message I keep getting when I try to read or post on this forum? Never seen it before yet lately it appears at every turn. I click on "Stop Script" and then I'm able to read a thread or start posting.

Is anyone else seeing this? How do I get rid of it because it's annoying!

Comments (36)

• flyingflower
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Correction...the error message reads "not responding".

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

I saw a thread on the Discussions side about it. I'm not seeing it but I use Firefox. I haven't looked at the thread again but seemed like a common denominator was using IE browser. Probably something on GW server's end.

• User
    12 years ago

Empty the cookies in your browser, that might help.

• natal
    12 years ago

Moonshadow is right. Seems like most having a problem are using IE.

• flyingflower
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I asked DH to empty cookies and there's still a problem. Damn Gardenweb for trying to act like Big Brother.
    Ok I'm outta here till they stop this nonsense.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

I run Firefox and just today started seeing this script ..
    Still OK on your end Moonshadow ?

• natal
    12 years ago

Forboystoo, same here. So now I'm using Safari. When that stops working I'll be joining flyingflower.

I sent GW a number of emails ... for whatever that's worth. :(

• golddust
    12 years ago

I see it but I'm not annoyed by it. These forums are free and very popular. Those ads help keep it free and if you happen to click on one, it will help keep Garden Web alive. Maintaining this site can't be cheap.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Golddust ~ I think we are talking about two separate things.
    Ads would be a God sent right now.

• hilltop_gw
    12 years ago

I'm using Firefox. Shown below is the message I get on each screen as I move from page to page. My choices are then to "Continue" or "Stop Script" and I've been choosing stop script, but I'm going to avoid gardenweb for awhile till it gets fixed.

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://graphics.gardenweb.com/stc/ivjs/new_s_code_iv.js:394

• natal
    12 years ago

Golddust, two different issues. Ads are one thing; this is annoying beyond belief. If I weren't using Safari right now I wouldn't bother to post.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

That's the script I'm getting.
    When I get that window I just close it and the page will open.

I'm having a flash back to dial-up days :)

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

I often run into script errors on Facebook. It's my first time here today, still not seeing anything (yet) about script errors on FF. It seems widespread but not 100% hitting every member, so maybe it's something between GW & certain users machines? Going to suggest emptying Temp Internet files too.

It's a good practice to dump temp internet files now and then, they can start to hog space or cause wonky browser behavior. (Just an example, I got behind and haven't cleared FF in ages, I just emptied almost 300MB of temp files.) Just keep in mind it can cause you to have to manually re-enter some passwords or auto-filled in info.
    A bit of a nuisance to re-input all that but the benefit is dumping a lot of clutter from your machine.

How to empty FF Temp Internet cache.

How to delete Temp Internet Files IE 7 and 8

• Oakley
    12 years ago

On the other side I'm getting a box that pops up telling me something about a "line" and I just ignore it and continue on. I don't think it's the same script message you all are talking about.

There must be a glitch, because I'm also getting a long Google Ad smack dab in the middle of the page. Or is that what you all are talking about? It's written in text too, so I can't make it go away.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Here's the message I'm getting because it showed up when I hit Send.

"Stack Overflow at line:1"

WTH is that?

• natal
    12 years ago

A number of similar threads are posted on various GW forums. I didn't start having an issue until Firefox updated last night.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

The error started when GW started placing Google Ads on the page 6 topis down..That is the blank space some of you are seeing.
    Disabling Adblock does not help.
    Also IE is working now yet wasn't earlier.

I'm on Firefox at a PC.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

I just switched over to my laptop, I set it up with a dual boot, Mac on one side, Windows on the other. I logged into the Windows side and get the script error with both IE9 and FF 10.0.1 on the laptop. So bad I couldn't navigate away from Discussions to Conversations side. I haven't set up FF AdBlock yet on new laptop. On my desktop running FF 7.0.1 with AdBlock I've not seen it. Haven't tried Safari. And I did just notice yesterday an ad is placed in the forum threads, but this behavior started on the forum about a week ago? IDK, whatever it is it's tied into an ad and a royal pain.

• natal
    12 years ago

Moon, I have AdBlock Plus. Firefox did an automatic update last night to 11.0. This morning I started getting the script error.

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

I'm almost afraid to say anything for fear of jinxing it - I'm on Chrome and have had no issues....... so far... spit, spit, spit :~)

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Natal~ I fixed it by adding YesScript..

My firefox did not update so I knew that wasn't the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yesscript/?src=api

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

natal, yep, I just installed AdBlock on FF 10 on the laptop (brand new, still getting it set up). Had no impact, without or with AdBlock the ad is still showing. Weird it's not hit my desktop (thankfully).

• natal
    12 years ago

Forboys, thanks ... I tried and it worked for the first thread, but none after that. I'm getting the script error box again.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

natal~ is the YesScript Icon engaged ?? Do you see the icon in your task bar? My icon turns black when engaged..

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I am having the problem on my laptop but not my desktop. I just don't get it. I have the same problem on the laptop with IE or FF.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Natal,
    Click VIEW~TOOLBAR~CUSTOMIZE
    Find the YesScript Icon and drag it to the top. I placed it next to the Most Visited Icon.
    Click on it and it will turn dark showing that it is engaged.

• natal
    12 years ago

Forboystoo, just posted on your other thread. Thanks again for the help!!!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Okay on a different computer, using firefox and Adblock - no problems here.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Your welcome Natal~ It's the least I can do for your
    Honey Chipotle Pecan Recipe...............

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Well, bless you Forboystoo. I added the Yesscript to Firefox, and hallelujah, I got in.

Thanks!

• natal
    12 years ago

Anyone still seeing the Google ad after the 6th thread? I noticed the blank space is gone, so I'm guessing the ad is too. Wonder if that cleared up the script issue for everyone else?

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

I disabled Adblock from this site ..It appears there are NO ads running at this time...
    This is the first time I have ever TRIED to get ads :)

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

ooops spoke too soon ..Ads are back..

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Natal~
    If you click on YesSript Icon you'll start having the problem again...

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Notice the announcement at the top of each Discussions or Conversations page, in red. GW tells what's going on and how to get around it until the problem is solved.

YesScript is still working for me.

• flyingflower
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What a PITA that was. Glad it's over.