Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

Any of you had good luck with discount Broadway tickets?

pammyfay
10 years ago

I've always ordered through Telecharge, but what's been your experience with some of the discount sites? (not the TKTS booth, cuz I want a specific show --Pippin -- and not just what's available, and also cuz I'm not in NY, so I have to arrange dates with a teenager or two in college elsewhere.)

I'm kind of wary going that route, but maybe there are some sites that are more legit (fake or problematic tickets are probably still an issue nowadays, I'd assume).

Comments (7)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Sometimes you can get good deals if you use an AMEX (GOLD?) credit card--some shows have special pricing offers if order using an AMEX gold card.

• User
    10 years ago

Depending on which shows, lately restaurant.com has had some outstanding discounts and it includes a restaurant.com coupon that you can use at another time/city if you so desire. I haven't done it, but my friend has twice and got great deals. The only thing I don't like is that you buy a number of seats in a section or price range but you don't know the details until you go.
    The other thing I have used several times is playbill.com which has promotions that are not huge savings, but still a savings, and you can really pick the actual seats. Also, I select the option to pick up the tickets the day of the show. I don't need to pay for them to send them and me worry about forgetting//losing them.

This post was edited by sheilaaus122 on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 20:11

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

No advice on tickets, but just wanted to say that I saw the show recently and it was amazing! Great choice! Enjoy!

• pammyfay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GoldenGirl: A co-worker told me yesterday that he was going to NY for 5 days and he mentioned he's also going to "Pippin"! Not the same week, tho. We're both disappointed that the actress/singer Patina Miller (who's been the "Leading Player" for I think 2 years now) is leaving for a TV show role at the end of the month. Perhaps we'll both be happily surprised at the replacement, but there's a lesson in this: Procrastination can kick you in the heinie!

(This will be my 2nd time seeing the show -- the first was when I was in junior high school and Ben Vereen was the Leading Player! Can't wait to see the acrobatic twist to this revival.)

• User
    10 years ago

Pammyfay I too saw it with Ben Vereen and an older actress whose name I get confused on- Irene something. I saw it with my mom (rest in peace) and this Irene was a star from her era....

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

Pammyfay--Fingers crossed that you are happily surprised by the replacement for Patina Miller! : ) BTW, my husband also saw the original show with Ben Vereen when he was in high school and was amazed by the difference between the two shows. Audience reaction to the acrobatics-- jaw dropping!

Sheila--It was Irene Ryan (some might remember her from the TV show, The Hillbillies) . In fact, I believe she passed away while performing her role in Pippin-- in the theater between acts of the show!

• pammyfay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Golden Girl: The acrobatics are probably the top reason I want to see this version of the musical! I have a nephew who's done some acrobatic work with a children's circus, and I know he will enjoy it (but hopefully not so much that he'll drop out of college to run away with the cast!).