Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For Lukki - here is my spring planter - - -

Posted by tinam61 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 13:31

I've been promising her I'd share this. This is an old copper boiler that I've been using as a planter on our front porch. Color works great with our house since we have dark green door/shutters and verdigris lights.

I was thrilled to find live pussy willow branches - sold in bundles. Love them!! There are daffodils, tulips - pink of course, which are just opening, violas, pansies, candy tuft and ivy. I'll change things out as it gets warmer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For Lukki - here is my spring planter - - -

I'm not Lukki, but that's beautiful! Because of the heat last summer every one of my porch plants died. :(

I see you also have rabbits. Me too!

o

He's just out in honor of easter. . .oh and the plant stake too! Thanks!

I thought I deleted that top photo - sorry for two of them!

o

Tina,

I love your spring planter. I have an old coal bin that we use for small log storage in the winter that I think would work as a planter so I could copy your idea. It looks so spring-like!! Where did you find the live pussy-willows? Those are one of my favorites!

o

Nanny - do you happen to have a Fresh Market? That is where I found them. I was going to just use some kind of branches and went to the Fresh Market one day last week to pick up a few goodies and they were sitting right outside the front door (in water). I think the little fuzzies look like bunny feet! LOL

tina

o

Tina, I love your planter and arrangement. I live in RI
and just love pussy willows! I planted some last year
but they didn't take...not the right soil mixture etc.
so just last week they had bunches @ our "Whole Foods"
and I bought two bunches as they remind me of my late
grandmother who loved them and always had them in her yard.

o

That is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing Tina, I love it. I think we are going to do something with our front porch this year and I'd be tickled if I could find something like to use for the spring and summer months.

We have a couple of posts I want to move around so we can put up railing and create a sitting porch. I can't wait!

Wish I had a green thumb...

o

There is not a Fresh Market nearby, but there is a Whole Foods, (thanks irish2!), I plan to check there. I love pussy willows!

o

If that doesn't say "Spring" nothing does! Pink tulips are one of my favorites, too!

o

Very pretty! I like the idea of sticking in the pussy willows.

I planted pussy willows last year, and they took off like gangbusters--I have some in a vase in the living room right now and I am loving them. They say "spring" even though outdoor temps say "summer".

o

Do the pussy willows root? Do you throw them away when you're done with them or do you plant them? I seem to remember from my childhood that you could put them into water and they would develop roots, same thing with forsythia branches.

o

Very nice! I have an old copper boiler (used inside for various purposes).

Have a question, how do you handle drainage? I don't know if I could bring myself to drill holes in the bottom of mine. :/

o

It's lined with heavy plastic and then rocks beneath the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here