Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Wedding gowns and dreams.

ILoveRed
10 years ago

My youngest daughter is getting married April 2015. She is 25 and wants a simple vintage style wedding. Heading to Chicago today to meet up with sis and start the hunt for "the Dress".

She has her heart set on this dress...which isn't going to happen. It has to be custom made for the bride in the designers shop in Australia.

Does anyone know of bridal designers that have a similar style as this designer? Or do you have suggestions of dresses that are similar to this one?

TIA. Wish us luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Anna Campbell dresses

Comments (73)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

You can also check out preownedweddingdresses.com. I know someone who bought and then resold a couture gown on the site. Many of these are sample gowns new with tags. Of course, you are limited to what sizes are available.

I also like the BHLDN dresses! Wow, what a variety. Remember, it's not the dress--they're all gorgeous, my friend had to remind me it's how *I* looked in the dress. The dress should make the bride shine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preownedweddingdresses

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:42

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

I recently ordered my gown from this manufacturer located in NYC through a Bridal Salon in NJ. I was so happy it was made in the USA. I found that many gowns are made in China and had very long lead time. I need mine in less than 2 months since I got engaged in Dec. and am getting married on 3/27 in Israel. What started out as a vacation turned into a destination wedding. We are together over 10 yrs.

I'm a mature bride and went with an ivory silk duponi mermaid styled bridesmaid dress. Mine is strapless. Lucky I still have great arms to show off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for NYC Manufacturer

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Good one, gsciencechik! I was curious and went to your link to look at monique lhuillier dresses and found this one...sure looks close to me.

Then there is bridepower.com and the store in Watertown MA called Vows...they were on TV with that show about brides finding their dress for less. One of the episodes they went to the store where the gal went for whom I made the veil and they bought up scads of samples and such. So they seem to be for real.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monique Lhuillier

• andreak100
    10 years ago

red - you're getting a lot of great suggestions on places to look. I'm going to give some (unsolicited) advice...this coming from a wedding photographer who has seen too many girls in ill fitting gowns who are constantly needing to worry over it feeling comfortable and not over-revealing things.

Tell your DD to move around in whatever dress it is that she thinks she wants. Even though it is unlikely to be the right size, she will want to try to determine: does it bunch up? Will I be able to both stand AND sit (many never think about the sitting portion of the day and are quite uncomfortable sitting). Are the sleeves designed in a way that allows movement and isn't constantly sliding off the shoulder? (She is likely to be raising her arms up to hug people and to dance with DH, etc.) The sliding thing can be helped a bit by using fashion tape, but you need to be sure that the dress is made in a way that you can conceal the tape too...lace sometimes makes it trickier. And in the case of the dress she loved that you showed, will she want to wear a bra? The way that dress is cut, even a long-line bra will be difficult and likely to pop out and show in the back...if she is built so that she can just have sewn-in cups in the front, that would probably be best, but those cups don't give much support and that's important to remember.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello and good morning. Well we had a wonderful weekend. Not only did I get to spend the weekend with my oldest daughter and small grandson but my other daughter found a dress that she adored. So much fun and so exciting! But, the hunt is not over. We want to spend several more days looking at dresses and also involve her future MIL. So this weekend, we are off the other direction to St. Louis! I am going to make appointments this week at several shops. This dress looked very vintage but was much more detailed than the Anna dress. SO beaded and intricate. She looked like a dream in it. Very deep cut, but she is small breasted so I think if she decides on this one at the end...with alterations, it wouldn't be too revealing. It's is Allure Couture.

This post was edited by red_lover on Thu, May 22, 14 at 15:10

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fun---yes, we were amazed at the dresses that she loved that she disliked on. She even tried on a ball gown just to satisfy her old mom...which of course was quickly discarded.

NB42--ooh, lala...that first Jenny Packham is gorgeous. I'll find out where these are sold in St. Louis.

Annie--I briefly looked at Monique's. Wasn't familiar with her. Very nice. Will look more closely today. Pretty.

Joanie--we will be making another trip back to Chicago. We will hit that one for sure mext time. Thanks.

Allison--David's bridal is nearby. We will check them out too.

Mtn---a prom dress? Who'd a thunk it!

Tea cats--dd uses etsy all the time. I got all of my napkins for older dds wedding there for cheaper than renting. Handmade and I got to keep them. I will definitely check there.

Mtn--I think I actually looked at dresses by bhlden on their site, but didn't get a chance to show dd yet. That dress reminds me of a dress I wore in the 70s. Definitely vintage.

Sheila--very nice...definitely need to make appt at David's bridal.

Kswl--I would have never thought of that. We are a long way from any city. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it.

Science chick--very pretty line. Thanks!

Patty--I know. I don't see any way we can get that dress. Oldest dd just got married about 3 yrs ago and said it was the prettiest gown she had ever seen. She liked it better than her own gown.

Best years--oh my...beautiful.

Forboystoo--dd saw the Aliexpress site and really wanted to give it a try. I'm too scared to. That's how much she loved that dress. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dee-everyone seems to wear the strapless with princess neckline. The attendant at one of the bridal shops told us it's is a style that is flattering on so many. DD wants something different. I'm glad we're looking at all styles. It's fun!

Science chick--I did check there for the dress. I even found someone wanting to buy it. I will keep checking. If anyone comes across it pre-owned, let me know! Perhaps I should offer a reward ;-)

Jersey girl-....congratulations!! Would love to see a pic of your dress. It should beautiful. Yes, I remember it took almost 6 months to get oldest dds wedding dress. Seems like a long time.

Annie--very pretty!

Andrea--great advice! I will copy and paste it into an email to dd and make sure we heed this advice this weekend on our next shopping trip.

Thanks all!!!

• romy718
    10 years ago

So much fun. I envy you. I made my daughter try on the ball gown too.
    Beautiful dress she has on. Enjoy!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

You're lucky you have plenty of time to find a dress as they take months to get made and altered. Our daughter got engaged while stationed in S. Korea so by the time she got home we didn't have enough time to order a dress so we searched and found a shop in Omaha that had off the rack dresses. We too were surprised how many that looked great on the hanger didn't quite do her justice once on. The owner of the shop told my daughter "the dress would pick you" and she was so right. One we both liked, but only tried on because of what she said turned out to be the "YES" dress the second she had it on.
    So just a thought, that you might want to check for shops like the one we found our daughter dress in. Oh and we saved hundreds of dollars to boot! Which was an added bonus we hadn't planned on.

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

Redlover:

My dress came in today. It looks very much like a brides dress in ivory. So pleased with my choice. Just had my first fitting today. It's so me. I love all things asymmetrical. I have a very old Rhinestone pin that I plan to wear at waist where her hand is and vintage art deco hanging rhinestone earrings from my Mom.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy---yes, it is fun. My last daughter so I am milking it :-) So much fun planning a wedding. I love the ball gowns. It seems the girls just aren't interested in them. This dress she has on is prettier IRL than in this picture. Thanks!

Justgotabeme----I know. When my last dd got married, we didn't realize how long it took and her dress came in a month before the wedding. And still had to be altered. We were sweating it. We were looking at some gorgeous samples that this shop was selling off the rack and the prices were really good..... Is your dd still in the service or is she home now?

Jersey girl---it's beautiful! So glad it came in. Do you have to have any alterations done? How special that you have your mother's jewelry. How will you wear your hair?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Just before the wedding our daughter changed to the Air Force Reserves so she could go to Hawaii where her hubby was stationed. They were married by a judge before their church wedding since the military is often slow at getting couples together. Just short of a year after they were married they became parents to our darling granddaughter who will turn one the end of this month. I'm heading to Hawaii five days before so I can spend both my and her birthday there. I'm so excited. They have another year in Hawaii, but have no idea where they were go next yet. They are hoping for an over seas station again. Not happy about that, but it's their lives and we do Skype or Face Time often. Thank you for asking.

• thankurnmo
    10 years ago

Jerseygirl that is just beautiful..
    And a destination wedding in Israel is beyond amazing. (I I had closet hopes that my daughter my choose that to be honest )......

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I remember dress shopping with my girls. 1st DD (younger) who is very curvaceous and busty had her heart set on a dress similar to your DDs choice. I tried to gently point out that the model was likely a 6 foot size 2 A cup but learned to keep my mouyh shut. She chose a strapless sweetheart neckline gown with a semi ruched skirt-a 180 degree different gown. But once she put it on with a purple ribbon around her waist her face lit up and we knew that was the one.

Last year when DD1 got married she had nothing in particular in mind and did love a gorgeous heavily beaded gown but it just didn't fit the boho vibe of her wedding. The dress she did end up with was one we ran over a lot of the factors mentioned above. Weather mobility vibe etc. She was so so on the gown till we added the veil and that was all she wrote. Sometimes it takes the whole package to make the perfect choice.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

If you decide to go custom made, one of the best custom bridal dressmakers I've ever known lives and works in suburban St Louis.(Chesterfield)
    Her name is Isabel Tanner, and I can get you contact information if you want it.
    It's such a fun time. Good luck with your quest for the perfect dress.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Justgottobeme---have fun with your granddaughter in 2 weeks?? In Hawaii no less. How exciting. I have just one grandchild, a grandson...17 mo. Old. I adore him and only see him every few months. Not enough. I know...when they are grown, it's their lives. We just have to support them and hope they are happy. Lots of FaceTime here.

Pesky--yes the strapless, sweetheart dresses do look good on the busty girls! They are very flattering. And the veils do seem to cinch the look. That is what happened this weekend when we found THE dress.

mlweaving--we were on Manchester Saturday at Robins. I think that's Chesterfield. We were also in Ladue and it was lovely but most of the dresses she liked there were $$$. We found the dress at another shop in St. Louis. Thank you for the info though. I appreciate it :-)

All!! Here is the dress. It is the same dress in 2 different colors. One is a champagne color with Ivory. The other is ivory with Ivory. It still has beading and lots of textured lace but is lots less "blingy" than the first dress I posted that we saw in Chicago. I'm glad I talked her into waiting because when she put this dress on she instantly KNEW it was her dress. So corny, huh? It is very vintage looking and simple. 2 pieces...and very lightweight and comfy. So her.

So I would like your opinion on which color you like best, please. She is leaning toward the Champagne.

Thanks for sharing the fun with me.

{{!gwi}}

• ellendi
    10 years ago

The picture isn't showing on my monitor.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Oh no, red_lover, the picture isn't showing up. :( Can't wait to see it!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Red-Lover, I leave in a week from today. I'm so far behind on what I wanted to accomplish before I left too. Pain is my enemy. My neck and upper back does not work with sewing and especially ironing for more than a few minutes at a time. I made Mommy and Me aprons and pressing the ties did me in.

Isn't facetime and Skype awesome? We do both. One time when our daughter called I was in the parking lot at Lowe's so I was able to use their wifi to facetime! I just sat in my vehicle and talked.

And yes, it's hard once they grow up letting them go. Well actually the hardest part is how easily they seem to GO! The four of us were always so close. Our pastor once told us new never saw a family of four take up so little space on a pew before.

I too cannot see the picture.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 13:41

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

No photo for me either. Would love to see it!

I had an ivory gown but I got my veil in champagne.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well darn. It was there. Trying again.

This post was edited by red_lover on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 10:32

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Justgottobe---the mommy and me aprons sound adorable. You need to let us see them. Remember to not wear yourself out before you go. What gets done, gets done. They just want you :-) We love FaceTime. We get a call almost every weeknight while little man is in his high chair eating dinner or in the bath tub splashing his mama. Don't know what I would do without those calls! Have fun in Hawaii!!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Oh my that's a gorgeous dress! Do you have one that shows the front too? When I took pictures of the dresses Katie tried on I took them from the back but showing the front in the mirror. This the dress that chose her...

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, that is beautiful. No wonder she loved it. Perfect for her figure.

Here is one from the front. It's too big. We have to order it and have it altered but you get the general idea at least.

This post was edited by red_lover on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 10:25

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thank you RedLover. We didn't take time to button the top buttons over the zipper as we knew it was the one.
    What a beautiful dress. You're daughter's style is much like mine was. I still love lace wedding dresses and your daughter's dress is gorgeous! I'm tickled she found one. I like the champagne the best. Katie's was a mix of champagne and ivory too.
    I made my own dress using three patterns and altering all of them a bit to get what I wanted. It had a full lace overdress. I'd have completely designed it had I had the time, but I was very happy with it and it was much easier to make because I didn't have to make the whole pattern.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Red, that is fabulous. I love the shape of it, and it is perfect on her. I think I prefer the champagne color, but really she cannot go wrong with either.

Justgotta, love the two-tone champagne and ivory.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

The dress is beautiful...very elegant.....whichever color compliments her skin tone the most is the one she should go with.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!!

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

red, the dress your daughter chose is beautiful.

I was going to vote for champagne but then I saw the last picture of your daughter wearing the ivory and it looks so perfect on her. So I just washed out my vote. :-)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

The reason I chose the champagne is because she liked the vintage look. Both are beautiful. My own wedding dress was ivory. I personally don't care for white white in anything.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Beautiful dress. I like the champagne when I see just the dress, but I think the ivory shows off the color of your daughter's hair much more so than the champagne does, but I also see more of the hair with the ivory. Either way she can't go wrong.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

It's a beautiful dress. :)

From a photographer standpoint, I would go for the champagne/ivory - the lace, which makes the dress gets a bit lost in the ivory/ivory combo. I think that the champagne represents more of the antique feel that your daughter was after. The champagne is a little warmer and although I can't see your daughter's face, I think that based on the coloring I see on her back, the champagne compliments her coloration a bit more.

In many cases, when photographed, ivory dresses will represent more as white, but with the champagne, you'll be more likely to see the bit of color.

As for fit - looking at it, it appears that it will be a "comfortable" dress for her to wear and move in. Not that your DD has any "weight issues", but an area that often presents challenges for even the thinnest women is just under their arms (both front and back) and the way that the dress is cut, that won't be any concern. It looks like it will be one that she will be able to raise her arms up (think dancing with her new husband). It looks like she should be able to move in general without the dress moving in ways that it shouldn't.

One thing that she probably didn't try to do when she was trying on the dresses was to sit down in it, almost NONE of my brides thought to try that before I suggested it. I would suggest trying to do that with the one that is a better fit for her to see how it works for her to sits since she will hopefully get a chance to do that for a little bit while eating dinner and she will need to do that if going to different locations (ceremony and reception).

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

I hope she chooses the champagne. Nice dress.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Red lover- beautiful dress. My daughter also chose lace.
    Jerseygirl- very classic & beautiful. Have a wonderful wedding celebration.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Love the champagne dress but as others have posted select the shade that flatters your DD's coloring.

Jerseygirl - beautiful dress. Where did you find a dress made in the US? I remember my DIL asking that question when she was searching here in South Jersey. We went to Irma's, Jan's and a few others. A wedding consultant finally told her about a specialty shop in Lancaster where she finally found one. But what a pain driving back there for fittings from Philly.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Red lover, lace dresses are a particular favorite of mine....your daughter's is very elegant and she looks beautiful in it.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! Yes, the dress is very simple, lightweight and elegant. She has chosen the champagne because of the vintage look but the ivory looks really good with her coloring too.

She sat down, moved around and was even dancing in the dress so she knows it's comfy...which was a major requirement. She is going to wear a cathedral length veil for the ceremony and a pretty hair ornament for the reception.

We are excited to have the dress finalized and the wedding is still over a year out. This dress was half what I paid for my older dds wedding gown. Who knew?! Thank you for all of the well wishes.

Next thread you can give me opinions on bridesmaid dresses!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How lovely! And I'm so glad to see a wedding gown that isn't strapless for a change! It looks beautiful on her.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

The dress is gorgeous. It is timeless.Best wishes!

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Hope that anyone that wanted to see the dress saw it because I started getting paranoid and took down the images. I could just imagine someone we know inadvertently seeing her in this dress. Not likely, I know.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Red Lover, yes it is a beautiful dress and I'm so glad I caught the photos before you took them down but totally understand! Absolutely loved the style, color and the lace on your DD. Check out SouthernLiving.com and search on Weddings for some ideas for bridesmaids (and other wedding ideas too). An issue or two ago they had a beautiful spread with some lovely mocha bridesmaids dresses that made me drool.

Just - love the gown that 'chose' your DD too. Perfect for her as well.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Outside playing-- thanks for the tip. That is the color she wants for the bridesmaids gowns. She actually wants a shade darker than champagne but not nearly as dark as brown. She wants to use neutrals with a soft shade of peach (not pink or coral, she reminds me).

Glad you got to see the dress :-)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thank you Outsideplaying.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

R-L, I'll try to find the magazine at least take a picture of the picture and note the issue month. I've been so busy I can't seem to remember to do much of anything when I get home at night.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Southern Living had a spread on weddings in the January 2014 issue. This is the photo I was referring to with the mocha dresses Sorry it is grainy but a photo of a magazine photo is hard to capture just right. IMO the bridesmaid dresses would work better with a softer color brides dress such as champagne or ivory.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Outside--thank you!!

That is the color. I guess I will need to go to the library to see a Jan copy of SL. Yes, I agree this color will look good with dd's dress.

The flowers are pretty too. Maybe there will be some inspiration here. Grooms aunt makes silk flower arrangements. I have seen them and they are beautiful. They even feel real. So all of us gals are going to make the flowers together. It should be fun and save a small fortune.

Thank you again :-)

• andreak100
    10 years ago

red_lover - again putting on my photographer's hat in regard to flowers (if you prefer that I don't chime in, please let me know, I don't mean to be overbearing).

You may want to consider real flowers for DD bouquet. I know that I typically get close ups of the bouquet and silk ones (no matter how high the quality) never look quite the same as real ones do in close ups - they don't reflect the light the same way and there's always a few random "strings" as well that are give aways. Far away (i.e. normal viewing distance, many people won't know the difference, but in close ups of the flowers, it's something that you see.

The drawback (aside from cost) with real is that they do wilt/die. Avoid "delicate" flowers or make certain that the photographer gets the details of DD flowers at the start of the day (actually, I do this as a matter of course - they are at their peak then).

Another option that DD may want to look into is something that is less traditional, but looks beautiful and can tie into the antique theme well - the brooch bouquet. (I've attached a photo from one that I photographed before) Not necessarily cheaper by any stretch, but it can become a gorgeous keepsake. There's the possibility to even "deconstruct" it later and use the various pins with outfits, or possibly even hand down special pins to (possible) children that she and her future DH have together.

Do silk for the bridemaids - I've seen a lot of brides who do that and it works pretty well.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Andrea--I love your advice!! I will clip your post and take it to heart. Perhaps the rest will be silk and dds fresh. Love the brooch bouquet...it is perfect. I will look into this more.

Thanks again.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Is it just me? That bride looks like a mother surrounded by her daughters...

• thankurnmo
    10 years ago

Haha Annie Yes ! She does. Maybe that 's it.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

DD2 considered a brooch bouquet, until she realized not only the price when she would have to purchase all of them (many use family pieces), but how heavy it would be. She opted for a vintage brooch we found on the ribbon... moved it up on the ribbon after this photo was taken, but I can't find the one of it alone in a chair. The brooch is on one of her Euros in the MBR now.

Over one table, we enlarged photos of her parents, grandparents and his parents at their weddings (included her great grandparents) along with pictures of them as young children with their siblings and a couple of their engagement photos. They were mounted on heavy card stock in 4 sets of 3, attaching the 3 with ribbons (top to bottom). Everyone enjoyed seeing the older photos, especially the wedding photos.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator