Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

chick lit - the best of the worst, anyone?

daisychain01
10 years ago

Hi all,

We are heading out on a trip in about a week. It is 12 hours to get there, so I am looking for some light (but quality) reading for the plane and then beside the pool. Does anyone have anything to recommend that they think would make a good read? I like chick lit, but not the horrible stuff that is often on best seller's lists (does this make sense?). I'm thinking along the lines of "The time traveller's wife", "The fault in our stars", "The glass castle" - anyone read anything along those lines that they think would be worthwhile? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• GenX-Luddite
    10 years ago

How about "The Language of Flowers"? I haven't read it myself, but it got raves from some people who like the "smarter" end of chick-lit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Language of Flowers at amazon

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Me Before You Jo Jo Moyes
    The Rosie Project Graeme Simsion

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Just starting The Art Forger, which is well reviewed and seems promising.

The End of Your Life Bookclub by Will Schalwbe

Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan

The Forgetting Tree by Tatiana Soli

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed. Anything by Dorothea Benton Frank, but I especially liked 'Plantation'.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I haven't read any of those. Off to the library and bookstore!

• ladypat1
    10 years ago

I loved The Art Forger, did not like Language of Flowers, too depressing. I like interesting and happy.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Though there are some very sad, tears streaming down my face for me, parts in the beginning, I'm really enjoying reading One Summer by David Baldacci. I'm about 2/3rds through right now. It's been hard to put down.

Here is a link that might be useful: David Baldacci - One Summer

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got a few of those recommended, but many of the others are checked out - a good sign. Might buy "The Art Forger."

Coincidentally, as I was driving home from the library, they were interviewing an author on the radio about her new book "The Bear." It sounded fantastic, so I will look for it next time.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

Some of my favorites:
    Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner
    Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner
    How to Be Good by Nick Hornby (I laughed out loud at some parts of this book)
    About a Boy by Nick Hornby (So very much better than the movie)
    The Ten Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer
    Every single thing written by Maeve Binchy
    Almost everything by Alice Hoffman

• localeater
    10 years ago

One of my favorites, but older, The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.
    Another all time favorite, The Thirteenth Tale.

Of course, if you havent read the Hunger Games triology it is really fun...

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - but be careful, you'll get hooked! The 8th book in the series is coming out this summer.

I haven't read any of the above except The Time Traveler's Wife (better than the movie), skimmed through The hunger Games to see if appropriate before DS read them (yes, but DD too young). That's more teen lit than chick lit.

Have you read The Secret Life of Bees, The Memory Keeper's Daughter? I didn't care for The Mermaid Chair, but I'm waiting for The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd to become available at our library.

• kitchenwitch
    10 years ago

This isn't chick lit, but I'm reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. A great story with such interesting characters, and I've really been drawn into it. It's a big book, so maybe not the best to travel with unless you have a Kindle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon link

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Oh, yeah, the e-readers are great for travel (though last year I brought Team of Rivals and another big book on Lincoln as Commander in Chief on drive to Gettysburg). Just hard to read some things on them - Autobiography of Mark Twain was one but I struggled through it since it was so huge I didn't want 10-lb book on my lap. The Quantum Universe e-book just never made it too far though I checked it out twice, so I just picked it up in hardcover Friday (along with The Ghost Map that I saw another GWer recommend). Finishing Fast Food Nation now.

• localeater
    10 years ago

One of my favorites, but older, The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.
    Another all time favorite, The Thirteenth Tale.

Of course, if you havent read the Hunger Games triology it is really fun...

• bestyears
    10 years ago

The Invention of Wings was the best book I've read in a long while.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022