Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Wardrobe malfunction

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

We went out to dinner and theatre last night with friends....I'm embarrassed to say how much time I spent trying to find an outfit that didn't look like a school marm or a business exec...I wanted to wear a dress or a skirt as I so seldom wear them anymore, but it was bad...really bad. I ended up with trousers and a non-matching jacket and a fancy necklace for a little bit of bling. I looked ok...passable...but certainly not the elegant, chic, dressy-casual I wanted.

I worked in business for 30+ years until I retired. Since retiring it's all jeans and t shirts and flats. No problem. But it means my closet is full of business clothes that I seldom wear, and I've not spent much money on clothing since retiring. I have no clue as to how to strike the right chord that is age appropriate, but not like a nun, that is sharp but casual...not too business, not too dressy, not too dowdy.

Anyone have suggestions of resources I could go to to dress a baby boomer like me with dressy casual for that kind of situation? Catalogs, web sites, magazines?

Major concern is I have a bridal shower coming up in May at a fancy restaurant, and I want to look elegant, chic, age appropriate yet modern, and effortless. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Comments (150)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

jamies, yeah, I have fabric to make the drapes for my DR very similar to that dress....and remember I have big girls....I'm wearing a 36DD bra now, but suspect I may need a 34 F so they are truly ample. So high waisted stuff is just not flattering on me.

Bumblebeez, that dress is pretty also, but that stiff skirt...I'd really have to try it on... all I can see is it poofing out whenever I sit, which I will be doing a lot of for the wedding.

Part of the issue I think is that we all have different body sizes and shapes and what works great for one, may not work for another. The princess lines always work well for my figure as it shows off the shape without being too fitted and literal.

I also want to get a flattering color. I have pale skin and when they were doing "colors" I am a summer so I look great in pastels, esp in the teals, aquas, light blues and light pinks....and being a wedding, I definitely don't want to wear white or off white.

Thank goodness I have time yet!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Annie, I love that blue dress you posted. I think I "know" the style you are looking for - something soft, flowing or soft-skimming, not too clingy, not too low-cut, full-coverage sleevless to cover a bra - basically something you feel comfortable in.

One of my go-to places is The Dress Barn for special occasions. They are made for real women, fashionable but not too trendy, and cheap enough that if you only wear it for the one occasion, you don't feel guilty. You are not going to find high-end silk, but more than likely good poly if you are OK with that.

Their clothes look better in the store than on the website.

DD is top-heavy and she found a gorgeous black cocktail dress there for a cruise last year - she ended up wearing it for a couple of other formal occasionas. I think she paid around $75 for it. She could wear a good supportive bra, but not look like "grandma".

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

Love the aqua dress!

I don't think it's plain at all. It has classic lines which gives it an elegant feel. For a wedding, I would choose a fabric with a soft sheen, like the cotton sateen Jamies suggested. Add some great jewelery, strapy sandals and maybe a wrap.

I wish I could sew!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Another vote for agreeing with the style of the aqua dress. But, I think you can make it in a fancier fabric.
    Jewelry would definitely transform it from casual to dressy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. My girlfriends were here today and they both liked the aqua dress as well...they know my style pretty well and thought it was "me".

I guess I'm thinking "what would Duchess Kate wear?"
    I think she always looks classy and chic and modern and age appropriate (and she wears hose!!!). In fact, I always lusted after the Queen's delphinium blue which is a color reserved for her...

And I definitely don't want to look like these 2!
    {{gwi:1499651}}

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

It's a very cute dress, Annie. Love the color too. Here's a little.help w/the fabric. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Do you have a white house black market store near you?
    If so it’s a good place to get some basics and more. I like it because they are reasonably priced and the quality is pretty good. Not everything is suitable for the over 50 but many things are. I also like that it isn’t so overwhelming to shop in like the large high-end department stores. And, after you get some slacks, skirts or dresses it then gets easier to move on to Bloomies, Nordstrom’s and the like for top to go with. I hate the mall but if I have to go due to a special occasion it’s less painful to start in a nice smaller place.

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/home.jsp

Here is a link that might be useful: small shop good stuff

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't mind shopping at all...in fact I really enjoy shopping. I'm not put off by large stores at all. I just haven't been in a long time, having lost my shopping partner and not having the need. But I especially love a bargain and hate spending money, especially since I no longer work. So the challenge is not the store, but how I shop...I'm used to amassing lots of bargains instead of outfits, and I'm going to have to learn to buy better, buy less, but make sure it's an outfit.

I've pretty much decided to head to the outlets..they have a jonesny, elie tahari and Ann Taylor and Michael kors...and then I could check out Annie sez too.

In the old days I was a soap opera fan and would be inspired both by the decor and the outfits the people wore...it helped keep my eye up to date, but I don't see any good fashion on judge Judy or gun smoke reruns!

Pattycakes, the price is right and it looks pretty, but I don't think I could buy fabric without feeling it...the hand is so important.

There is a fabric store not too far away that carries some very interesting dressy fabrics that would be fun to check out...I usually go there for decorator fabrics, but they have embroidered silks and such....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I spent the day trying on everything in my closet and dresser...well not everything...I still have more to go. But I made a pile to give to my GF who I think might like some stuff, another trash heap, a large donate pile and a small pile for alterations.

I also found some stuff I didn't know I had or had forgotten I had or thought wouldn't look good but did. So all in all, well worthwhile.

Still have more to do but I think I'll head to the outlets tomorrow to have some fun now that I've made some space.....I signed up ahead of time so there are on-line coupons I can bring with me in case I find some good stuff.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Annie, good luck on your shopping 'expidition'. Maybe you'll find something a little more 'wild', than tame. ;o)

• hhireno
    11 years ago

In a nutshell, the laws of dynamic prosperity say you have to make room in your life for new and better things. Sounds like you did that today so you are bound to find just the right dress. But don't limit yourself to the wedding, remember you wanted things for dinner and theater nights, too.

I don't know how to link it using my iPad but that You Look Fab blog I linked another time has a post with 15 fab frocks. Check it out, she shows some lovely dresses.

• funnygirl
    11 years ago

I just want to follow up on an idea I read upthread re the personal shopper photographing outfits assembled from client's closets. This completely resonated with me because It isn't unusual for me to think of items and accessories which could make for a nice ensemble but then forget about it when the need arises.

Last wknd I spent some time putting together ensembles complete with accessories and photographing them. The creative juices began to flow and I assembled a ton of outfits with not that many clothes. Really fun!! I plan to do this again in the Fall. The pix are on my phone so will be readily available when needed. I think this will be esp. helpful when packing for trips.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I like the aqua dress too. It is simple, elegant, can be youthful or ... mature. And the color is in.

In re the photo above, IIRC those hats are called "fascinators" . At the time of the RW, the NYT had a slide show of them (below). My girls and I went into fits of giggles looking at it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fascinators

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank hhireno, here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: 15 fab frocks

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I'll save my shopping for next week when it's supposed to get even warmer...the outlets are all open air malls so can be really unpleasant if the weather isn't with you. This way I can finish going through my closet too...and I should hit the stash of clothes in the attic too...yikes!

Thanks for chiming in mtnrd...I was wondering what you thought of that dress....those fascinators are very interesting but there's something about the "wicked step sisters" that looked sinister as opposed to the way victoria beckham wore hers....she is always a knockout....another one to serve as inspiration for chic, stylish, yet age appropriate and modern.

funnygirl, good point. I was just trying on individual pieces to see what fit...no holes, no stains, not outdated...but did nothing about trying to put together outfits. I should spend some time doing that specifically and taking pics is a great idea....I mean I keep a file of menus I've served to guests, so why not a menu of clothing items for various occasions?

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

funnygirl - my friend who hired the personal shopper was astounded at how many new looks she created. She said it was like having a fairy godmother wave a wand in her closet.

She even took the personal shopper idea a step further. She owns a jewelry store in an upscale town and started a service where her customers bring in their jewelry and together they assess the pieces and decide which ones are out of style or broken or need updating. Obviously it's a marketing device but she's had quite a few women utilize it. Now that gold is so high she'll buy jewelry or take trade-ins or redesign the pieces.

Annie - I shop the way you do - looking for sale items or using coupons but I would do better if I tried to create complete outfits rather than purchasing separates all the time. You mentioned that was something that Stacy & Clinton recommended. Even when I go out with friends for lunch I often find myself standing in my closet trying to put something together.

A few years ago I started keeping a notebook that I hang in my closet listing outfits that I've worn. It helps prevent me from wearing the same thing over and over and helps me select an outfit when I'm running late or having trouble deciding. It's even helped me jot down items I need to finish a look.

• deegw
    11 years ago

Saw this dress and thought of you. Also comes in the dreaded navy. :) This would look lovely with a little bling. It is fully lined.

{{gwi:1499657}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pure Collection

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is pretty, but I'd want to belt it I think....

Since I'm making the bride's veil, I almost feel obligated to make my own dress too...I probably should bead it as I'll have so many beads left over after doing the veil....I also have quite a bit of the alencon lace I used on the veil...I could use some on my dress, but I'd need to dye it...no way could I wear the same thing.....

If I had time, I'd make something else for the bride or her mother with it, but not sure what....I'd have to ask, but then it becomes like a promise. Don't know if she's having a ring bearer or not, but if she is, I could make the pillow using the same lace....hmmm.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I vote no,no, no for beads and lace. Fine on brides, fine on bridesmaids, and flowergirls. Fine on anyone under 30 because face it everything is fine on anyone under 30.

But for mature women, lace and beads easily venture into oldladyland. The aqua dress is very nice. It's all about cut and color, no frou frou. Get a very nice pair of heels and a "Wilma Flintstone" Tahitian Pearl choker. Done.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Lace was big last spring when I bought a dress for a wedding. Black lace over nude bodice. i got to wear it twice, but this look is dated and I suspect i won't wear it again.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I think black over "nude" is classic, especially when it it well done. But I think AD doesn't want to wear black.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a nice string of pearls that DH bought me many years ago....haven't been able to wear them ever since Barbara Bush was first lady....every time I put them on, I see her! She was never without them....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I'm heading to the outlets on Tuesday. I'll be shopping for lots of stuff from underwear for DH to zumba sneaks for me in addition to the shower dress and the wedding dress and a "dinner and a show" outfit. Have to remember to bring my chipped corelleware with me.

I wanted to go on Monday, but I see they have a 10% discount on all purchases for us 50+ types on Tuesday, so I think I'll go then....

Wish me luck!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This I like, but the fabric is awful....acetate and nylon and spandex? in July? Yuck! and for almost $400!!! they can keep it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now this dress is fabulous! The way they cut the cap sleeve so it creates a shoulder even though it's a raglan and the way they placed in the embroidered chain detail is wonderful! Only problem is (besides the $1800 price tag) it's white which is verboten at a wedding. But very inspiring.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love this oscar de la renta...so much style and the print is fab!

So I thumbed through all the neiman marcus dresses...some 3600 of them and there are very few that I would even consider. I did like Kay Unger dresses right away and I do like Rachel Roy in general. But there are some dresses that simply do not make sense. I'm sorry, but a plain sheath dress out of nothing special fabric does not command a $1000 price tag. No way. I don't care whose name is on it.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 17:28

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

I understand if you are uncomfortable with wearing white to a wedding but these days it's perfectly acceptable. Just don't wear a wedding dress and there will be no attention taken from the bride!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

No, no no.

Tahitian pearls. I have some DH gave me a few years ago and I love them. They are a dark, dark black-grey-green by Mikimoto. And they are nice and big. The Tahitian look is not at all Barbara Bush. I know people will be upset with this but IMHO creamy white pearls are out (sadly I have enough to open a Mikimoto outlet, but still, I have to say the white ones are out)

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I give up, had some great pics, but nothing will post for me any more! I'll try saving the pics to my computer and see if I can do it that way :(

This post was edited by olychick on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 21:43

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

Love the teal dress. The white and patterned ODL, not so much. Most importantly, you need to feel great in your clothing. How you feel in what your wearing makes all of the difference. When you feel good, your posture is likely to reflect that confidence of knowing you look great.

I wouldn't belt anything unless I was super thin. Any belt cuts your body in half visually. If you have large girls and bottom, the belt will accentuate those areas, not your waist, just sayin. Same thing with heels that have an ankle strap. Unless you have mile long legs, ankle straps are not for you.

The suggestion of enlisting a shopper is a great one. Take a friend that you can count on being honest about the items presented. I love Nordstrom and don't mind paying a bit more for classic pieces. I don't do trendy clothing.

Standard wear most days for me during the winter for casual wear is a cashmere sweater, fashion scarf with jeans and loafers. Have a great pair of black slacks if the need arises.

Hate heels. Only wear heels with a dressy dress, and then keep the heel as low as possible. I just can't carry them off, and don't even want to try if at all possible.

Summers find me in skirts and casual dresses for daily wear. Sleevless summer weight sweaters wtih a cardigan. I am not at all a fan of shrugs ~ ever. Nice sandals are another great investment. Two pair of flats (black and some neutral shade of brown, one fancier pair a bit of a wedge heel (lower) color black, with a little pizzaz to them.

Showers and the like will find me in an A-line knee length dress with a smart sandal. Usually a pattern if I can find it, but when I do, I don't overdo the jewelry. Maybe a great earring with fashionable stone ring.

Accessories of all kinds are a must for me. I like black alot, so I find my color in my accessories. I don't follow trends, but feel naked if I am not wearing a pair of decent earrings, a few bangle bracelets or cuff bracelet. Not really into necklaces since you need to be very aware of where they fall on the neckline of your top. When I do necklaces, I usually go with pearls, I know boring, but I like pearls and have many lengths, styles & colors:)

Buying a few key pieces and filling in with some pretty scarves or other similar accessories, handbag, etc. would be my advice.

Those empire waist dresses are cute, but I feel like they have way too much material if you are large busted.

Wap or faux wrap dresses will make you look and feel slimmer. Love those wrap dresses, hide a multitude of sin.

No need to buy everything in one trip.

Last thing, and I am not intending to offend the Chico lovers, just an observation from personal experience. I have a friend who buys nothng but Chicos. All elastic waist, long tunics. Since the day the Chicos store opened, she's never purchased clothing from another store. It's just to easy to go to Chicos for one stop shopping, which to me, is putting yourself in a rut. While she spends a small fortune, they do nothing for her. The Chicos clothes are very specific and recognizable. I guess my point is that I like clothing that is less cookie cutter. Leave your friends, family wondering where you found that great ensemble. Sort of reminds me of buying those Coach bags with the C insignia all over the bags. Heck, I am not paying to advertise for anyone. That said, it's just my preference. Of course, if you like Chicos, and their clothes make YOU feel good, then that's good.

I am enjoying this thread. Need to find something to wear to my DD college graduation, and haven't even begun to look, lol.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

This thread is hilarious and yep, I agree with the list of stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: old lady stores

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wahoo! I think I have my dress for the wedding!

And I have my choice of 2 dresses for the bridal shower!

And I bought some really pretty tops to mix with my existing trousers and jackets to come up with a "dinner/theatre" look....

And I bought 3 pairs of jeans and a capri jean which I will turn into bermuda shorts....

And they were all bargains with discounts on top of discounts!

I'll post some pics tomorrow and see what everyone thinks...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Recap of shopping trip yesterday, I did really well...3 dresses, 4 cardigans, 1 black jacket from Ann Taylor that fits like a glove, 2 casual tops, 4 dressy tops, a shirt and a new fuzzy robe which I needed badly.

Please chime in with your most honest opinions....

Dress for the wedding....I bought it at Saks right away and didn't care what the price was as I loved it....fit like a glove. Calvin Klein. It has pretty princess seaming that works well on my shape, and the little detail of the gold metal studs on the yoke. Only thing is, is it dressy enough? Wedding is at 3pm and reception starts at 7pm....

Option #1 for the shower, DKNY, with a coordinating cardigan. It's sleeveless and has a knot detail off centered at the waist.

Option #2 for the shower was a little dress I found in dress barn. Works well with the navy shrug I got at Ann Taylor or I have a cardigan in the soft green already that matches. Dress has a fuller skirt and ruching at the waist. It was such a bargain that I bought the bracelet to go with it.

So is the wedding dress dressy enough?
    Which do you prefer for the shower?

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I love the blue dress. Some might say it is not fancy enough, but nowadays, anything within reason goes.
    The last wedding I went to was in November. Guest wore cocktail dresses, simple black shifts, one woman wore cowboy boots with her floral dress!
    That said, I would prefer a cocktail dress. It is not that often that I get dressed up and I enjoy wearing a fancy dress.
    For the blue, I think I would like to see a more delicate shoe. The black is good for dressing it down for a nice luncheon.
    Of the two dresses, I like the first one. I am not a fan of the geometric print. I think that the first one is interesting enough for a patterned dress and you could wear it again without people realizing it is the same dress.
    I love both your cardi's. Great in case the air conditioing is too cold. The dresses both do fit you well and look good without a sweater.
    Sorry, but I don't like the t-strap shoe. But if you love them, then I give you permission to wear them :)

• golddust
    11 years ago

I love all the dresses. I really like the cut of the geometric dress (#3). Very flattering!! The blue dress is simple but nice. You may want to add dressy jewelry for the wedding and perhaps a dressy jacket for the reception.

I have to agree that you need to replace the shoes with a pair that elongates your legs. The T Straps don't do that... Maybe a nice pair of pumps.

Congratulations is in order! You moved from Navy to blue. Woo!

It is so much fun to spend other people's money.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

I think the blue is just too dull for a wedding. However, all three are great for the shower. My favorite is the DKNY.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bronze sandal has been around for awhile...the black patent leather go back to the early 90s!

I really didn't spend time looking at shoes as GF wants to go to DSW....so I'll look there. Problem is one of comfort...I have wide feet and finding heels that don't cause agony is difficult.....

I really appreciate everyone's feedback....keep it coming!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Just going to throw this out there because I wondered about it from the start of this thread. I like the blue dress for the three o'clock wedding-perfect. However, do you think they expect people to change to something more dressy for the reception? I wonder because I have never heard of a reception being held so many hours after the wedding and I always think of weddings and receptions that are held after six pm as formal occasions. Even if the wedding itself takes an hour (and that is not usual unless it is a full Mass), you will have four hours to cool your heels before the reception. To me, that is very strange.

I do think all the dresses fit you beautifully and you will look great and feel great in them.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm happy you found things you like and make you feel good! I hope you have a wonderful time at all events.

• Jamie
    11 years ago

I like the DKNY ensemble a lot. I might consider returning #3 because the print is very 2013-version-of-retro, ifykwim. I think the print will look out of date very soon. But if you don't need the dress to last more than 1 season, it works very well. . The shape and the fit and the way it lays all and the color all look good and I find them figure enhancing and flattering. I would be afraid that I'd only wear the dress once this summer and then wouldn't want to wear it next year. .

I don't think you'd have to go dressier on the wedding dress. You won't be the most casually dressed person there. But you could, if you wanted to, go dressier.
    I see why you like the tailoring of the wedding dress. It is elegant and classy. It's hard to find that in a world full of spandex that stands in for a tailored fit.

I like t-straps because my feet don't have much meat on them and I need something to hold my shoes on. Otherwise I walk right out of them.

I think your t-straps are close enough to nude that they don't cut off your leg like darker ones would.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Well I’m not a lot a lot of help but I do think you would look absolutely fabulous in anything Armani Collezioni. You have a very nice figure that deserves nice quality. Sometimes you can find some deals on shopstyle.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is how I see you...link shopstyle Armani C

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jterrilynn, the armani stuff is beautiful, no doubt about it, but I can't deal with the price. For example, this armani dress is very similar to my blue one in style...the yoke, the princess lines...it has a little sleeve instead of sleeveless. Very nice at $895.

But I got my little blue number for $65. Given how little use I have for a dress in general and given how my body changes over time and styles change over time, I simply can't justify the outlay of that kind of cash. Is the Armani nicer? Of course! but 14 times nicer? Not to me. And I certainly won't have 13 more events to wear it to to justify the cost per wear. Not to mention that when special occasions come along, I like getting new things to wear....for the price I pay, I can afford to do that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks jamies, I think I'll keep the bronze sandals as a back up plan...but hopefully, I can find something new.

Uh oh, bumblebeez...if I read between the lines and in "GW" speak (where we say nothing at all if we can't say anything nice), I take it you don't like any of the dresses. Please give me honest critique...I can take it...you're critiquing the dresses, not me.

cyn, I agree...it is strange and uncomfortable, as the reception is about 40 min away from the church and both the church and the reception are about an hour away from our home. On top of it, the bride's mom told me they won't be bringing the venetian table out until 11pm! DH mind you typically goes to bed before 8pm! I'm not sure I'll be able to keep him from going to sleep face down in his soup! I suppose I could change in between, but I'm not sure it's expected. And I'm old fashioned enough to think the girls should be more covered than they will be for a catholic wedding....and I certainly will feel more comfortable being more conservative at church. And the blue dress is very nice, but not something you want to break loose in on the dance floor....

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I mostly cannot afford it either and like you shop for bargains. I will keep an eye open for the tops when on sale though. The skirts are real nice; I may spring for a skirt at some point because it makes more sense for me to get interchangeable outfits together in designs that do not go out of fashion very fast. Where I live it’s pretty casual and easy not to be prepared when the occasional “dressy” gig comes up.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i probably would return the geometric print, because altho it looks great on your body, i would tire of the print. i'm not a fashionista, and i have a long waist so never looked at the little short jackets when they became trendy, but don't think it's a timeless (or even current?) look... however, it looks good on you!

love the colors in option #1. style is 'safe', but pretty!

the 'wedding dress' is nice and a good length (not too short). you might get more use out of it than a fancier dress... i would definitely dress it up with 'sparkly' and/or dressy jewelry and dressier shoes (it would be fun if you could find a dressy shoe in the same blue...)...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

busybee and jaimes, I'm surprised you're dating the print....I thought it was just fun and certainly livelier than what I usually wear which is conservative solids...but the dress is so comfortable and easy that I can wear it in the summer with flats for whatever...and at $35, it isn't worth the gas to return it....and it's less than I'd pay just for sales tax on the armani dress!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Well, they are not my style but that's ok! I would have gone with something dressier and in different fabrics. You have a FANTASTIC figure and the dresses aren't, imo, as flattering as they could be. A v neck - and you don't have to show cleavage, would be more lengthening and flattering to your upper body.
    As you really want something swishy, a wrap dress, might be the thing. Not all of them are body hugging either.
    The prints on these two dresses are very ordinary to me and not at all dressy and actually look mid office secretarial.
    The prints don't seem current to me either and the blues a bit drab.

Money wise, the dresses seem cheap to me. I understand the need to save money, etc. but you are comparing $900 dresses with $65 dresses and that's not a proper comparison. Nobody I know buys those dresses anyway.

Their is a huge range of very nice quality dresses in the $150-$250 range. They often go on sale for say, $120.
    The material, styling, fit, are so much nicer than the Calvin Klein brand. An Adrianna Papell for instance.
    Calvin Klein is a low end department store brand, I buy CK clothes all the time, and they are fine, but moving up a notch or two the difference becomes evident in overall quality.
    I feel a little bad saying all this, but I would want someone to tell me ( I used to beg my friends to do so but most were too kind to tell the truth and I had to eventually figure things out myself) and you asked, this, the dresses are ok, you wouldn't be underdressed or overdressed but they are ordinary.
    The cardigan looks too big and frumpy and the shrug looks cheap. I just think you could do a lot better and look fantastic instead of passable. I like the aqua dress you were thinking of making- IF you can make it well - properly fitted, top notch tailoring and great fabric.

Do you look like something from a magazine or catalog, No. And why shouldn't you with all this effort!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Errr what Bumble said...I had written something close but didn't have the guts to post...I 'm getting soft in my old age lol.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I love the geometric print dress! I don't think it looks too trendy/dated, but it's lively and fun and I think you'll get a lot of wear out of it.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

"mid office secretarial" is a good description.

I'm wondering if you are liking these dresses so much because you got them on sale. That's the way my Mom shops. In my Mom's eyes, a plain old dress barn dress on sale for $35 becomes a Carolyn Herrera. I call it "Discount Goggles."