Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

Birthdays

User
10 years ago

I will be turning 60 this month and I find my mind has a hard time believing that. It is a strange feeling. I have never had any issues with any birthdays, I know some dread turning the big 40 or 50 but I breezed through those birthdays. I I believe every birthday is a blessing that I am still on earth and healthy and looking pretty good still :>), but something about 60 bothers me. What, if any, was your "problem" birthday?

Comments (39)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Me, too. My decade birthdays were easy. The half decades - 35, 45, 55 - gave me a small shudder each time for some reason but at the same time felt like a badge of honor. I've been 60 for 2 weeks now and this one is tough. I would not allow my husband or friends to make a celebration and spent the day by myself - not pouting! - but getting a mani/pedi, massage and cut/color. I keep reminding myself that getting older is always better than not! But still...... it's hard in this youth obsessed culture. I didn't have a specific vision of what my life should/would look like at 60 but anything I want to do from here on out feels much more pressing.

This post was edited by dlm2000 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 10:44

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I haven't had a problem birthday yet. :-)

It probably helps that I honestly have trouble remembering how old I am. Decades I know, it's the year to year stuff that isn't memorable. I might not realize when I hit 60 if someone doesn't remind me.

My 30th was fabulous because it was the middle of my 6 months of bumming around Europe. I was foot loose and fancy free. I'll always fondly recall my 30th.

My 50th was great because I had all my family visiting, it was summer, life was good. We have a pix from the day of my husband with the other siblings in law. My husband looks great, never looked healthier. A month later he was diagnosed with leukemia! He's fine now and I still tease him about his wrinkle free complexion thanks to the mega high dose Vitamin A leukemia treatment.

My MIL was troubled by her 60th and also when my husband hit 50. I think it was shocking to think she could have a 50 yo child.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I haven't had any problem birthdays so far - haven't hit sixty yet though. Being that I've had cancer three times (starting at age 15) and wasn't supposed to live to age 20 I'm pretty darn happy to hit every new decade.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think the 60's hit a little differently because it signifies that you are "officially" a senior. Many of us still have kids in HS and college in our 50's but usually by the time we hit 60 the kids are pretty much grown and gone and you're facing the last phase of life...empty nest into old age. Fortunately, the 60's today ain't what they were even a generation ago thanks to advances in medicine and people generally taking better care of themselves.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I dreaded my 50th. I have a younger husband, by 9 years, and young children for my age (they were 3 and 7 at the time, in addition to my then 18 yo son who is "right-aged" for me). So many of my friends are younger and I try to ignore it, but sometimes it's hard when you have a milestone birthday staring at you in the face. Anyway... I got a really bad case of pneumonia before my 50th, and ended up going to the ER on my 50th birthday! I was in the hospital for several days, eventually recovered and had a huge wake-up call to be grateful for my age and my health. I am now 53 and haven't looked back and vow to keep my good attitude when I am approaching 60 (but time will tell!).

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think joanie hit it on the mark for me....it is the "official" title of senior that bothers me not really the 60 number. I dont feel like an old person!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I don't really mind the birthdays or getting older. Like Marinagal I have younger children for my age. I worry about the effect of them having "older"parents than their peers and hope that we make it up in other ways. I know I don't have the energy I did in my 20s and early 30s when I was having my other kids.

I think 60 is a difficult birthday for many as new health problems often arise.

• ruthy1
    10 years ago

The 60th birthday also bothered me & I agree with joanie & roseabby - it's that senior citizen thing. Now I'm one of the old folks, with wrinkles to boot. And I've also even thought ahead to the next milestone birthday - 70! Yikes! So right now I'm just going to enjoy the 60's. I realize that time is coming when I am not going to be able to do just any old thing that I want to. What are some things that you still want to do before you are TOO OLD???

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

According to AARP, in a few hours I will be entering my 16th year as a "senior".

As long as I am feeling good (knock wood), my age does not bother me. In fact, I have never felt so comfortable in my own skin. We do live in a youth oriented society but I am not going to let it make me feel like less of a person.

So much of life has to do with attitude and, fortunately, I am a half full glass person.

I normally don't celebrate birthdays, but after reading the handbag thread, I treated myself to a very nice gift :-).

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Roseabbey....I'm still 18 in my head, so how can I be 61? Lol..

Red....yes, It seems when the 60's hit, so do the little aches and pains along with other more serious health problems.

One good thing, if you haven't already, you're that much closer to retirement! I plan to retire this year or next.

• loribee
    10 years ago

For some reason, 40 bothered me.
    Hubs turns 60 next yr and I will 5 yrs after that. Having both been thru health issues in 2009, every day is a good day now. I try to be grateful and not beat myself up about those few extra pounds. :)
    Happy upcoming bday, Roseabbey!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanie, I dont feel quite like 18 but do still think in my mind like I am in my mid thirties! I have already retired, its been going on 6 years now...that is another story...while it is a great time of life, it does take adjustment both mentally and emotionally.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Loribee, it will be on March 21 which used to be the first day of spring for many years as I was growing up but in the last few years first day of spring seems to change, not quite sure why

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Friend has a bumper sticker on her car that says, inside every old person is a young person wondering what the he!! happened!

I felt that turning 50 was going to be rough for me so I did 2 things: a) I practiced being 50 my entire 49th year, telling myself I was 50 and then reminding myself that I was still only 49; b) I had a birthday party where all the guests were older than I so I was still the youngest gal in the room!

If you have ever seen the program (Nat Geo?) called Brain Games, it's a good one. They recently did a segment on comparing young vs. old brains, and while it's true we lose some abilities as we age, we gain other advantages over the young 'uns. So it all balances out in the end.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

So far b-days haven't bothered me at all. I've still a while to go for 60 - and that may be different - because of the "sr" thing, but maybe not. I, too, feel younger (and act!) than my age. Many people are really surprised at my age, so it's not just me! LOL

I think age is all in your head. You may have a bit of adjustment with this one, but I think you'll be over it in no time.

tina

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, 60 was by far was the hardest for me. Not only did turning 60 hit hard but my oldest turned 40 only 2 weeks before my 60th birthday!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

So far, I have not been bothered at all-I will be 62 in April. I love birthdays-mine, yours, anyone's! I do, however, find myself feeling surprised when an acquaintance or friend dies and I find myself thinking, "But he/she was only 68...69...72...etc. Seems so young to me now.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

For special birthdays, I try to plan something super special. This year, it's a trip to Italy. Double bonus as we do the same for DH.

I think what is disconcerting is that we have already lived longer than the time we have left.

• User
    10 years ago

Roseabbey- I could have written your post. I never had an issue with any of the birthdays, and I used to always forget how old I was....I turned 60 this year and it hit me very hard. I guess all the explanations pertain, but I don't know for sure why exactly = but I feel like it really hit me brutally. I am in good health and have lots to be thankful for, and generally can focus on that alone. But to be honest, yes turning 60 sucked.

• User
    10 years ago

I just turned 63 in Dec. I retired Fall 2004 to take care of my Mom so have been retired almost 10 years !

When I turned 50 my running partner and I planned my "celebration " that whole year. I was running a lot of ultras and decided to do the ultimate in my 50th year. I ran 100 mile ultra in Canada the Summer preceding my actual birthday in Dec. Celebrate long and hard !

For my 60th year I knew I wanted to do something special and started planning in Oct 2009 . The end of Feb 2010 I rode from St Augustine FL to San Diego CA with some other people I met on an internet cycling web site. It took 63 days to ride 3200 miles. My birthday wasn't till Dec 2010 but I believe in making it last as long as possible ! Long and Hard !!

I have no idea what my 70th year celebration will be but so far the 60's are fantastic. A long tour each year except 2013. I love getting older and am stronger and smarter and better than ever...just ask me or my DH :)

Happy Birthday Roseabbey ! As far as I know the news and the calendar ALL say every year that March 21st is the first day of Spring. Just like June 21st is the Summer Solstice. c

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

They do say it takes 10 years to get used to how old you are....

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

60 worried me until it got here and then it didn't. But 65 sucked. I think it was the whole idea of getting the Social Security card, being away from home for an extended time, and not having family to help celebrate that milestone. No other birthdays bothered me at all. My DD and DH organized a big surprise party on my 50th which was loads of fun. Now I am just very happy for my health and happiness and thankful for each day.

Annie I have seen that saying and just love it.

Marlene, you cracked me up with the handbag comment, and Happy Birthday to you and Roseabbey.

• Joe
    10 years ago

Another perspective...

"Rehired" at double nickle, needed to take the foot off the gas.
    Relocated across US, built "forever" home.
    6 months later, stage 4 diagnosis.

Each day is a gift; aging is a luxury.
    ~bgj

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

billygoatjoe - your point is well taken and I'm very sorry for your diagnosis. I hope there are good days in your midst.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

bgj, I'm so sorry to hear of your situation...sending you thoughts of healing, comfort and courage.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

My birthdays don't bother me (yet!). I have a best friend from 7th grade who has a birthday at the start of the year, which "prepares" me for my fall birthday so that most of the year I forget I am not already a year older.

The NYTimes just had a funny article about your 40s; i've linked it.

My kids' birthdays always have made me a little sad, because they are so much fun when they are little and i still fear them all becoming teens!

It's an odd thing that, while we all know we are lucky (Lucky to have a home, let alone worry about what shade of white the wall should be... Lucky to be alive, let alone worry about how we look or how old we are), our minds tend not to work that way. We all feel a little blue sometimes even when we know we are so lucky. Sorry your birthday has you bummed Roseabbey! At least it's just one day and then it's over. You can then concentrate on being glad you aren't 61 yet? : )

Here is a link that might be useful: What you learn in your 40s

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

bgj...sending positive and healing thoughts your way.

outsideplaying, thank you! :-)

• User
    10 years ago

Marlene...happy birthday to you too !!

bgj:what a great and positive outlook...you sound like you are doing very well. Congratulations on coming out the other side.

What interesting and varied outlooks. Always eye-opening posts to read and ponder. c

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Birthdays have never bothered me altho I remember thinking that after 40 it's all downhill! That was several decades ago. At the time I had a few health problems that have since resolved and was under too much stress due to lifestyle.

I've come to realize that attitude is everything so you really are only as old as you allow yourself to think you are. I don't celebrate birthdays but do celebrate being alive every day. After the age of 60 one often finds there are many friends and acquaintances who are no longer alive. There is much to be thankful for if one looks.

I love seeing pics of older women on the net who are defying traditional style and finding their own. I've become much more adventurous with my clothing (and decor) which is very liberating and fun! It's very important for our immune systems to have fun and smile.

One of the perks of aging is that once you are a "Senior" you can get many discounts! Most of the time I forget about them unless reminded. Still don't think of myself as 'old'. In fact, if I really thought about it I think I feel about the same age as my oldest child - 43!

Hope you can find a way to accept aging roseabbey even if it's only telling yourself (and believing) you are getting better and better with each year. That is one thing our culture does not admit altho I know I learn new things every day so must be becoming more knowledgeable if nothing else.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Good news...as you age, you do learn more...bad news...you can't recall it!
    ;)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the posts and birthday wishes.

billiegoat, sorry to hear about your situation, sending you positive thoughts

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I am now 61 and my mother who is 85 has decided that since I have turned 60 that we are now the same age. i.e that I am now HER age.

She just had cataract surgery and so has decided that I should get it (huh?), that I need to stop running because I'm too old to be doing that (huh?), that I need to start dressing like her (not ever happening), that I should be watching what I eat because certain foods will be too difficult for me to swallow and digest (what?), maybe I should start thyroid medication and blood pressure medication as she and all of her friends are on them both (I have a doctor and she isn't it) .

Talk about depressing. I was fine with my age until she increased it by 25 years all on her own. Our conversations have become very short as a result.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I live by the saying "Every day is a gift from God", but three months before I turned 20 it hit me I wasn't going to be a teenager any more. By the time my birthday came around it didn't bother me a bit.
    The only other decade birthday that bothered me was my 40th. My Mom had passed less than a year before and I somehow felt leaving that decade behind was leaving her behind too.

I'm looking forward to "retirement". Other than being paid to write for a website's blog, I haven't had a "job" in almost seven years now. I don't think of myself as retired until my hubby retires and we're both looking forward to that.

Gibby wow! You most certainly have the right kind of attitude. I think part of the reason I feel that every day is a gift is because I almost died twice as an infant and toddler.

Happy upcoming birthday RoseAbby & Marlene I've a March b-day too.

Ha ha Annie! I've been that way for years. My Daddy was too. And if you really think of it once you hit a birthday you are really living the next year of your life. As in when you are 49 you are living your 50th year. I'm like RoseAbby in that I am never sure what age I am. I'm always having to count the years in my head. Snort at your last comment about not remembering what you learn.

Ellendi made a point that has bothered me. Looking back I think how fast the time has gone, makes me sad that there is less to live ahead of me than there is behind me now.

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis BillyGoatJoe That, pardon my french, sux!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I have been thinking along these lines because I am hitting 50 this year. It is absolutely shocking to me that I could be 50. I mean, I swear I was 34 last year. And I turned 40 about six months ago. How can this be happening??

I've decided to treat the milestone birthday as an excuse for anything and everything. We went to an amazing wildlife place in Miami during our Feb. vacation and got to actually hold animals like monkeys, baby tigers, etc. It was a splurge for our family of 5 to go there, but I said "hey, I'm turning 50." While there, I was offered the chance to hold a 40-lb Burmese python. Last year I would have been too scared, but this year? "I'm turning 50, guess I'd better do it." So I did it. And I survived. I bought myself a pricey necklace the other day "...because I'm turning 50."

I am also using it as an excuse to take better care of myself. Quit the sugar...you're almost 50. Get the eye cream...you're almost 50. Sit down and read for a while...you're almost 50!

My mother died, at age 55, three days before I turned 30. It was terrible in many ways, including the fact that DH had planned a surprise party for me that had to be cancelled. So when I turned 40, he threw a huge, amazing surprise party. For 50, I told him I want a party, but no surprise. I just want him to do all the work! So, even though I am honestly dreading the idea of "being 50," I am really looking forward to having a fun celebration with friends.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Great attitude Sue.
    Though my birthday later this month is not a milestone, I'm heading to Hawaii to spend it with my daughter and her family. Hubby, sadly, cannot get away from work and son and grandson have work and school. I decided I was going to go anyway, as our granddaughter turns one four days after my birthday.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

The only birthday that bothered me was when I turned 50. It didn't bother me at 51 or 52. Just 50. Why? Not because of age but because saying the word sounds awful. lol. 50 sounds old but 51 doesn't.

I got tickled by something DH did last year. His birthdays have never been a big deal to him. We could ignore it and he'd never notice. But last year when he turned 60 he got on the phone and invited a slew of people and he threw a big BBQ! He was so excited to be 60!

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I personally believe zero birthdays are truly special; it's a time for me to look back at where I was a decade ago, think of where I want to be for my next decade celebration and appreciate where I am right now.

I guess it helps that life just seems to get better and better every zero :). The day I turned 30 was when I felt that it was time to start a family and that decade brought me the awe of both my children being born. Ten years later, my 40th birthday was the day Diana died.

For me, getting up in the morning and realizing that even someone literally living a fairy princess lifestyle could be gone in a flash sent me a powerful message: appreciate your life, live it and love each moment.

And a couple of years later, when I woke up on my 42nd birthday I was so filled with joy once again; my mother never saw hers. In some ways every day after that has been a gift in my life. Seeing my kids growing up and becoming such wonderful people. Deepening the relationship with my husband, who has now been in my life for 30+ years and hopefully will be for another 30+. Growing in my career and feeling the deep satisfaction of helping other people. The glass is most certainly more than half full.

And my 60th birthday will, hopefully be my last day at work after which I will start the next joyful stage of life: retirement. 3 years, 6 months more and I'll be loving that age for sure!

Ann

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

PS I also fed raw meat to a baby leopard.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

"Good news...as you age, you do learn more...bad news...you can't recall it!"

I have no memory problems unless I neglect to take B12. There have actually been studies that show that a lack of B12 can lead to symptoms similar to dementia.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County