Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Bone density scan experimental ??

ratherbesewing
10 years ago

My GYN ordered a bone density along with my mamogram this year and the insurance company deemed it "experimental" and won't cover it. Dang it--my fault, I didn't check.I had one a few years ago with a different insurer and it was covered. FYI to you all.

Comments (6)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Really? I would think it would be included as part of a standard screening test if you are of a certain age of have had prior issues that could lead to bone density issues. It's been such a standard thing for so many years, I don't see how they could label it "experimental."

• hhireno
    10 years ago

It might be due to her age or how recently the other test was done. Did you appeal the denial with your insurance company? It might be worth it to ask for a review.

Thanks, it is a helpful reminder to check with insurance before a test. May I be so rude to ask what that type of test cost?

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OP here: Currently, I am 58 and I think a DXA scan is fairly typical for my age and thin body type. I did have a DXA scan one other time (about 3 years ago), but this is a new insurer. According to the bill, the cost was initially $ 230, but after the adjustment, $75. I am going to call the radiologist on Monday and ask them if it would help my case for the GYN to term the prescription differently. My mother had severe scoliosis which "might" have prompted the need for the test. I am hoping someone who works in a radiologist's office might have some advice. To be honest, I am mad at myself for missing the vital step of CHECKING with the insurer.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Sounds like some kind of billing mistake. Bone density tests are more the standard of care vs experimental. Our insurance company seems to deny just about every thing my husband has done by the cardiologist. With their help I appeal every denial. They end up paying every time except one time when the cardiologists office did bill for something they weren't supposed to. If they get one billing code wrong it can end up denied.

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

Gibby is correct. They may need to change the billing code. Call you physician and let them know you where charged.

Something else to be aware of is when you go for a yearly wellness visit make sure you don't complain about anything because it will become an unwellness visit. I had that experience with my last insurance and a new physician I was trying out. I was slapped with a $200 bill that I am fighting. Little did I know. They also have lost a new patient.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I had a similar experience. I was ready for my mammo and the secretary told me that BCBS would not pay for it anymore. I was horrified and asked if I could call them from her phone which I did and got a customer service rep, told them I have two sisters who have had mastectomy's and she still refused so I asked for a supervisor and she refused so I requested that they put it in writing that I am not allowed to have the test. She asked me to hold and then another person came on and said it's okayed now. I asked him to send a fax to the unit where I was and I would wait on the line until it was received. It came and I've had them every year since, no questions. You have to be proactive.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting