Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancybee_2010

Do older women look better with short hair?

nancybee_2010
13 years ago

I am 55 and have shoulder length hair. I am starting to wonder if it is dragging my face down and if I would look better with a short (hopefully chic!) hairstyle.

Do you think that, in general, older women look better with shorter hair? Do you like your long, short, or medium hair or are you thinking of changing it? Or does it just depend on the individual person?

Comments (150)

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Trailrunner, you are stunning! Your grandson is outrageously cute!

Jterrilynn...go away, we don't need people like you around here! Seriously woman, if that's what you look like after doing yard work, what do you look like when you're cleaned up? Wish I looked like such a "nightmare" after I've been working outside! You have a beautiful face & I like the wisps of hair here & there...looks soft. You remind me of a Gibson girl.

Here I am two years ago (I'm 49 now) in the last pic taken of me w/bangs. Length now is 1.5-2" shorter, & pretty much all one length. It's not thick enough to layer. Most pics of me are group photos...sticky business to post. This is my most recent solo pic.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

jterrilynn, I agree that if that you look great in that picture! I know that most of us would like to change something about our hair. Do you know how much time I spend to attempt to get my hair to be straight? Then if there is the slightest bit of humidity it just puffs up and does all kinds of crazy and not very flattering things.

The thought of a vacation in a tropical place fills me with excitement and dread, because I don't know what kind of challenges I will face with my hair. I can't just put it up in a ponytail, because the bangs just wig out!

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Trail, whenever I see women with hair like yours, I get jealous. It is the perfect kind of hair to wear short and it still looks fashionable, not like an "I don't care, I just want easy hair" kind of short hair. Just the right amount of gray, too.

My hair is mostly straight but also goes kerflooey in humidity. No sooner is it blown dry than it starts to get weird curves in it.

• User
    12 years ago

SG: thank you ! I mostly just looked stunned :) But you ...you look like a college girl..and I mean that in the best way !! Wow....great looks and hair.

ded: you are too kind ! It is perfect for me, that's for sure. I haven't used a comb or brush since 1979 LOL. I just rub it with a towel and I am good to go. But if it gets to 5 weeks it really looks bad. It is actually 1/2 as long as it is in the grandmother pic right now....I just had it cut Thursday. c

• kellyeng
    12 years ago

Bunch of beautiful ladies!

Trailrunner - I aspire to be as healthy and vibrant as you!

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

You ladies are all so lovely! I am younger than all of you but I look older! Ugh to me! At least I'm finally using retinol.

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

trail, I love your hair. I had mine almost that short when I was younger and I really liked it. But now that it's longish I've gotten afraid to cut it. It makes a woman look like she has so much self-confidence.

jterri, you are too hard on yourself. You look like a young Jane Fonda!

stinky, you are soooo cute!! You have the kind of face that always looks young. You look so approachable and friendly.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Thanks ladies, I'm just really cranky latley. At least my labor today is going to be something fun. Got my Cutting Edge Stencil in the mail yesterday and I'm going to try to liven up sons thirty yr old kitchen on a dime. Off I go...

• yborgal
    12 years ago

I wish I could wear my hair long, but it's not thick enough. My hair was much thicker before my mid-60's. I'd love to be able to wrap it up in a twist or a bun, but that's never gonna happen. So I keep it short and I color it to hide the fact that it's mostly gray.

I,too,think it's a matter of face shape, hair thickness and hair texture as to whether an older woman looks better with short hair or long. IMHO, I think a woman's style of dressing and make-up should compliment her hair style and vice versa.

• User
    12 years ago

thank you kelly ! you get that knee well !!

nancy thank you...looks can be deceiving LOL...wish I had more confidence...they say you should pretend and it will happen...so maybe I just need to pretend harder ! You ought to try again..as DH says..it's only hair and will grow again .

jt...you never hear the word cranky LOL...I just think you are the cutest in that pic.

mona...wow...you look wonderful ! before you reached your mid-60's ??? You look in your 40's easy. c

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You look great too, mona! You have beautiful wide set eyes. Your hair is very flattering on you.

trail, I know I will cut my hair short again sometime.

And if anyone should have confidence, it's you. You have so many talents and are such a caring person. I guess it has a lot to do with the way we are raised.

• User
    12 years ago

What a generous and kind thing to say Nancy. I appreciate it. Thank you.c

• judithn
    12 years ago

Sure are a lotta gorgeous ladies on GW! Just goes to prove beauty is AGELESS! :)

• yborgal
    12 years ago

I like all of the hair styles shown and it seems we've all selected styles that flatter our features, but I have to say that my favorite hair style is trailrunner's cut shown taken at Thanksgiving.

Oh, to have that much hair! (And you look great and very young as well.)

• Faron79
    12 years ago

DAAAANnnnnnng...

I REALLY DO chat with BEAUTIFUL Women here!!!!

I'd sincerely be honored to be seen with ANY of you!
    For once...I'm not kidding one bit!
    You all look smashing with the hair you have.

Faron

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Its fun looking at all the pictures, anyone else? Come on!
    Mona, you have some serious chicky going on and Stinky you look as sweet as you sound. Terriks, you look very "cool" and Lynn, you look like one of those stylin ladies that get their homes featured in a magazine.

Ok now its Natal's turn. Natal I apologized for my behavior so you owe me a picture (not really owe but I want to know more of who you are)...come on.

• User
    12 years ago

thank you Mona !! I am so impressed with everyone's great eye for what looks good on them. We are definitely a "stylin" group :) c

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Yep Trail, the "Stylin Club!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Here's a recent pic of me. I hope it shows the whole picture. My hair is just below my shoulders.

I need to add some highlights so I can get more of a lift up top. Hair is thick and fine at the same time.

Here's what freaked me out not long ago. I saw a woman with very long and BEAUTIFUL hair from behind. Great body, wearing jeans and a nice top. She looked very young. When she turned around she was full of wrinkles. I almost screamed she scared me so much! LOL.

• golddust
    12 years ago

Oakley, I love you dearly and think you are beautiful... but... I think there might be a better hairstyle for you. Now I'm not good with hair and never have been. Mine is wavy and thick and I never blow dry it. I have my haircutter cut it so it can do what it wants to, so take that into consideration when you read this. LOL!

That said, your haircut is leftover from our teen years. You could be stunning with the right haircut. Just don't ask me what that haircut is but I'll bet there are many people here who could help in that department.

I'm seeing you in a haircut somewhere between your chin and shoulder. A little layering around your face and your DH would have to beat the other men off with a stick.

Remember when Pesky cut off her hair? That was a major transformation. I'm predicting the same for you.

Remember. This is free advice and you get what you pay for.

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oakley, you look great. I always thought you seemed so warm and friendly, now that I see the warmth in your eyes and smile I know I was right.

• golddust
    12 years ago

See? I told you, Oakley. You get what you pay for. When it comes to hair, I'd trust anyone before I trust myself. Seriously.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Thanks, Nancy! Gold, I've thought about layering but I'm a ponytail gal when I'm home. I hate hate hate having hair in my face!

Gold, YOU have longer hair and we're about the same age! lol

BTW, my hair now is about 1.5" shorter than in the picture.

I think I just need volume. I've had short hair only once in my life. Back when I was modeling in 8th grade I got a Twiggy haircut. LOL! I hated it. Short hair isn't me.

• kellyeng
    12 years ago

Well, based on your comment, "I hate hate hate having hair in my face!" you'll probably really hate this but I got a wild hair. Please forgive me!

{{gwi:1499012}}

• golddust
    12 years ago

Kelly, I LOVE your haircut. Love, love, love it!!! My hair is full and does what it wants. I could soo see Oakley with your haircut.

If you look at my 'Golddust Does San Francisco' thread, you will see that my hair isn't that long anymore.

• golddust
    12 years ago

Please excuse the sunglasses. I had to do a 'Do-it-yourself picture and I can't see. My clear glasses are on order as I broke my other ones. LOL. I wear it the way it dries itself.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Goldie your cut is very flattering. A new style/cut doesn't have to be short.

• kellyeng
    12 years ago

That's Meg Ryan's haircut I put on Oakley. Oakley said her hair is fine but thick which is like Meg Ryan's. If anything, the highlights look fantastic on Oakley.

• yborgal
    12 years ago

Oakley, if you can figure out how to get more volume without cutting layers, pass the info on to me, please.

Wow! Kelly "gave you a new do" that took you from looking nice to Va Va Voom! I wouldn't mind buying a wig in that style and color. Kelly, is it a photo of a wig?

• User
    12 years ago

My DH has been telling me lately that my hair is too long for my age. I am 57. When I was younger I always wore my hair shorter. My sister thinks I should be coloring my hair as she says 57 is too young for all this grey! Everyone has their own opinion!

{{gwi:1499014}}

• golddust
    12 years ago

Oh, how funny. I'd be terrible at identifying someone in a line up. I did think that face looked like Oakley but didn't recognize it. Lol!
    Great job, Kelly!

My hair was still damp in my photo. It gets bigger when it dries.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Roseabbey, I wouldn't change a thing. I think grey looks great on you with your perfect skin and I love the cut. If my hair weren't so fine, I would do that! Of course, you are way prettier than I, so it is really a moot point. ;)

• Oakley
    12 years ago

LOL, Kelly! Now I really don't want short hair!

Roseabbey, I like your haircut, I think it's perfect. However, I do agree with your sister. What about a bunch of low-lights?

Mona, when I first wash my hair I have a lot of volume. It's the next day it goes flat.

I think I'm going to go back to using Prell Shampoo. Remember that from the old days? I used it a couple of years ago and I remember the volume it gave my hair but forgot to buy another bottle.

I also blow dry my hair upside down too. Hey, maybe we should get that Brazilian blow dry? lol

• User
    12 years ago

cyn427, you are too kind, thank you.

Oakley, I think I have too much grey to add lowlights. I really liked the shorter style that Kelly photoshopped on you!

• yborgal
    12 years ago

Roseabby, you don't look much older than early 40's. And with your pretty face, you could shave your head and still look good.

I like the color of your hair, but I might try a more layered,shorter, spikier hairdo to go along with your very young look. But that's just MHO and remember I'm no expert.

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

Faron you are so right - everyone looks fabulous! Oakley you must get a version of that haircut and color!!! Kellyeng nailed it!

Roseabbey I am absolutely knocked out by your picture! You and I are the same age - I color my hair yet you look years younger, IMO. My hair is far more gray except at the very back and unless YOU hate the gray, DO NOT START COLORING just because your sister says to!!! Someday I will have to stop but will need to live in a cave to grow it out! Your cut to me reads as fun, casual and not too young or aging. It looks like you and I have similar thick hair, but mine is very curly/wavy unless I straighten with Keratin or fight it with blow dryer/flat iron. For that reason it's easier for me to have longer hair. I look like lil' orphan Annie otherwise :-/

My DH just walked by and I asked him to look at your picture - his comment..... "That's a stunning woman."

This is partially pulled back for hiking and I do the same thing for working out, gardening and projects so it's pulled back a lot! Seriously thinking of going back to layers and something shorter now.

A slightly older pic but you can see how curly I am naturally.

• User
    12 years ago

Mona, ....LOL, when I wore my hair short, it was layered and spikey which I thought was too young of a style for me so I grew it out to this style. I might have to go back!

dlm, You look great, love your hair. I have always loved curly hair, I used to get perms to have hair look like yours. You are very lucky.

I dont hate my grey color, just when my sister visits, she gets me thinking about coloring it but I know what a hassle it can be. I used to help my mom color hers every 6 weeks.

Did I mention that I love your DH!

• lv_r_golden
    12 years ago

Everyone looks FABULOUS!...so fun to see what everyone looks like, there have been other picture threads so I remember a few but it is fun to see new and more faces on this.

I would love long hair, used to have it but it is not to be for me anymore....it is just too much white, my dilemma is bangs or no bangs.....

{{gwi:1499017}}

{{gwi:1499018}}

58 for 3 more months..... the first one was in HA in Dec, the other was in Aug. You can see by the guys heads in the first picture why we don't talk about guy's hair anymore... ;-)

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

lv_r_golden, I love your cut and color. It looks platinum blonde to me and really highlights your beautiful blue eyes.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I recently happened upon Piers Morgan interviewing Jane Fonda. I don't normally watch his show, but I was very taken with Jane's hair style on the show. I thought that it was very flattering:

• funnygirl
    12 years ago

Wow, what gorgeous gw members!!! Lv r golden, you should be a model. You look fabulous with or w/out bangs but my vote would be for no bangs:)

Can anyone share w/me how to post pix?

• OllieJane
    12 years ago

Oakley, what happened to your blonde hair???

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

Great looking people we have here !!! it's always nice to match a face to a name.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Trailrunner, Jterrilynn, & Nance...thanks for the kind words!

Golddust, I love your haircut. It enhances your pretty, delicate, heart-shaped face & high cheekbones. Adorable!

Dlm, wow! You have great hair & look marvelous with it straight or curly! Nice to have options. I assume that's your DH & son? They are certainly handsome too! Beautiful family.

LvrGolden, Mona, & Rose...all beautiful ladies over 50 with great hair!

Oakley, I am dying to know what you think of your virtual hairstyling! I think Kelly found just the right do for you, and you know what? You really, really do look like Meg Ryan! You two have very similar features except that you are not scarecrow thin like she is (fortunately...'cause that's scary!) You would look great with layers around your face if you want to take baby steps toward shorter hair.

I'd be delighted to get free advice too, if anyone has any suggestions. All feedback is good feedback. It can be hard to know what hairstyle options to pursue as we find ourselves no longer 25!

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Such beee-yoooo-teeee-ful women hang out here! Wow! I feel like the nerd in high school, privileged to hang out with "the beautiful people"! ;-D

Kinda funny to read my comments upthread when my hair was longer. I had it cut short a few months ago and am really loving it with less length now. My bangs have grown out since this pic was taken so that it's more of an all one length look around my face, but it's still a short, angled swing bob.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Oh, and I really do have lips. I'm not sure where they went when I smiled for the pic above. What a dork.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Stinky, you asked for advice but I'm not sure I'm the one to give it. However, I would change the color slightly, take a few inches off the length and grow the bangs longer with a part on the side. You have nice think hair it looks so you are very lucky.

• natal
    11 years ago

Hillary au naturale.

Good for her!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clinton hits back at critics

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Thanks for the Hillary update, Natal! (Sorry that big honking pic of me is above, LOL! For the record, my hair is about Hil's length now, no bangs.)

I think Hillary looks wonderful in those glasses! Tres chic!

Yes, I agree, I admire her attitude. I'd like to hear more from her about this "stage" of her life. She has a lot to offer other women.

Here are a couple more pics from the same shoot. I really like the black pantsuit she's wearing too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great look for Hillary

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I also like her glasses and admire the attitude although I don't see what's wrong with putting your best foot (face?) forward. Shorter hair (not short,short) would be more flattering. She DOES have on lipstick, and is groomed/dressed well.

Did you have bangs before Stinky? I can't tell from the photo.

tina

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio