Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

'Poo Free?

I seem to recall some of you are- that is don't use shampoo.

I am considering going that direction as my hair has been falling out way more than it should.

I have been using L'Oreal Everpure, which most definitely isn't and Now, I learning about parabens. It's all so complicated particularly with companies lying about what's in the stuff- nothing new, of course, but I don't know what to do about my hair. And, I don't want to spend forty dollars on a bottle of shampoo, btw.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on 'poo free or a good shampoo that is organic, paraben and sulfate free and ahemm, under $20?

I am using Wella haircolor and no products.

Comments (31)

• sheesh
    12 years ago

Why do you think it is your shampoo? Have you tried googling the reasons? External reasons for hair loss are less likely than biological reasons. Is your hair visibly thinner? Do you color or perm your hair? Swim a lot? Is it breaking, or falling out with the bulb intact?

If you are really losing your hair and it is biological, you should consult your doctor. If your hair is breaking, you should see your hairdresser.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know for a while it was the old haircolor. But with the new haircolor, Wella, ( started a month ago) issues I was having before aren't a problem. Itchy scalp, etc.

From what I read, Sulfates are responsible for hair loss in lots of people- they're a cheap filler in shampoos in the past ten years. Certain parabens cause cancer and are a concern- plenty of people want to avoid them.

I have no other biological symptoms so have no reason to think it's that and I've had a recent physical with blood work and everything's fine.

I don't think the hair is breaking but falling out completely and you do bring up good points.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Timely topic. I hope auntjen is reading this. Last year I wrote how happy I was with John Freida's lightening shampoo. A month into using it, along with his conditioner, I noticed a lot of hair coming out during shampooing. I blew it off because my hair is thick and I've always lost hair.

About six weeks ago I noticed my hair seems a lot thinner and it's kind of scaring me. I stopped using the product then, and now I can see new hair growth. Not sure it will be enough though. Time will tell.

My blood work was also good. I'm 57, is this a normal aging process?

• User
    12 years ago

BB - What's the scoop on Wella? Is it paraben free? I just googled and didn't see anything other than company websites. Is it only semi-permanent color?

Oak - I also used the JF lightening shampoo because it gave my hair a streaked look I like. I stopped because it dried my hair too much.

I'm using the Nutrisse shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair and it's OK but I lose a lot of hair too.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ideefixe, a gw who occasionally posts, recommended Wella via the website Killer Strands. That is an amazing site and I ordered the color and developer there along with an intensive miracle worker glop.
    You can read everything about this brand there.

The site layout and copy is horrendous though and you have to wade through it to find the info you want.

Bottom line, to cover gray, use Wella Kolestron and developer 6% 20 volume. It is working beautifully, the color is excellent, easy to use and I have no side effects.
    And, about the same price as a box.

I will order my next batch of color from an ebay supplier at a much cheaper price. Killer Strands had kinda high prices and shipping.

Anyway, now that I've found a good haircolor, I'd like to do the same with the shampoo and conditioner unless I go "free".

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about shampoo if you are coloring your hair. You may want to check the label on your Wella, too. It is made by the same parent company that makes Clairol. Chances are, not a whole lot of difference in ingredients and hair color also has some of the same ingredients as most shampoos-lots of chemicals (and not all are bad, btw). I would look to biological reasons including age. Also, we lose lots of hair every day anyway. Probably not due to your shampoo.

• User
    12 years ago

I've used Biolage by Matrix hair products for years. My sister who is a cosmologist got me started on it back in the 90's and anytime I've tried other cheaper products I have experienced similar issues, itchy scalp and hair loss.

I too refuse to pay 40.00 for a bottle of hair shampoo but the Biolage is more reasonably priced and little bit goes a long way. Sometimes you get what you pay for, maybe some of those cheaper shampoos are less expensive for a reason. I think in the end the added cost is worth it. I get a big double sized bottle of conditioner and shampoo for 32.00 at the beauty supply. I wash my hair every other day and it lasts a long time, about 8 months.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I am mostly "poo free". If I use too many products in my hair I will need to use shampoo to remove the build up. I only use sulfate free shampoo. One of my favorites is Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo at about $3/bottle. For everyday cleaning I use conditioner. If you Google "conditioner only method" you will find a lot of information. It turns out that conditioners have gentle cleansing ingredients in them. And you don't need to spend a lot. I have been using VO5 Kiwi Lime conditioner, which costs about $1 or less per bottle.

I agree though, that if you are having problems with hair loss your cleansing method is probably not the culprit.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I looked up hair loss in older ladies last night and a lot of it was positive. Depending on the age though.

I'll have to give it six months free of John Freida to see if that caused my hair loss. Right now I have about 1 inch new hair growth around my part...looks like I've got the frizzies. lol.

One site said to go back three months before you started losing hair and see if you went through any emotional or physical trauma.

They also suggested certain vitamins, but I can't remember which ones.

Well, now I'm not going to have my hair professionally colored. Unless my full head of hair grows back!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Like lukkiirish, I used Biolage products for years and loved them. My head always itched, but suddenly it started itching allike crazy After seeing multiple recommendations for Costco's Kirkland Moisture Shampoo and conditioner (in a dark lavendar colored plastic bottle) I purhcased a bottle and immediately noticed a difference. My scalp stopped itching, my hair became shinier, and I swear my natural color seems to have started returning - in other words not so gray. The bottles are huge and are about $8.99 each which is a real deal. The shampoo is supposed to be vegan too. I highly recommend it.

• Boopadaboo
    12 years ago

I switched to Diva curl products a few years ago. I think they work well. I use the low poo and the One conditioner.

By far though, what has made the biggest differnce I think is only using the low poo twice a week. The other days I use conditioner only. I also leave conditioner in my hair - I don't rinse it all out. It sounded crazy when my hair dresser suggested it, but I can't believe the difference it makes.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i have thick, very curly/frizzy hair. about 15yrs ago, i started noticing a significantly increased loss of hair... somewhere between 5-10 years ago, it started to seem that my hair was getting alittle thinner, tho hair dressers used to laugh when i said this since it's still thick-now my ponytail is definitely thinner than it was 20 yrs ago, but i think that's normal!...my thyroid bloodwork all came back -...
    one difference i've made in regards to haircare over the past 15 yrs is i hardly ever blow out my hair anymore-i let it air dry, so i hardly ever use a brush anymore and often just fingercomb my hair. i also only wash my hair maybe 2 x's a week-that is when i see the most hairloss-huge clumps sometimes, but i realize i'm not washing, combing and brushing it that much anymore, so i am probably 'losing less' during than the week than i used to.

i have tried the shampoo free/conditioner only routine (tho have never bought wen products) and decided i don't love it. my hair is the type where it never looks greasy-i could probably go 2 weeks without washing and it would look no different. but, i didn't like the way my hair/scalp felt after a couple of weeks without using shampoo...maybe because i do put alot of products in my hair.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Yikes! I've noticed this too -- Will have to stop with the John Frieda lightening shampoo...

• natal
    12 years ago

When Oakley posted about John Frieda's spray on lightener last year I was curious. Fortunately I only sprayed small sections near my face and only a few times. Haven't lost hair, but did have breakage on one side.

I'm also curious if Jen used the product and if that had anything to do with her new hairstyle.

I've used Pantene for years. No hair coloring. No perms.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Another Deva girl here!

I use No Poo 2-3 times a week and One Condition is used every day. Once in a blue moon, I use Low Poo--when I remember, since I don't keep it in the tub (when I do use it, it's usually a day or so before I'm due for color, or after the rare occasions when I've had my hair "done" and hairspray or other styling products have been used).

On the days that I just use One Condition, I use it like I would the No Poo. I take a decent-size blob of it, and "scrub" my scalp with my fingertips, and then run the One Condition through my hair with my fingers. I let it sit on my hair while I wash the rest of my body, and then rinse.

The only products I use are pretty much just conditioning, or moisturizing products--Nexxus Humectin and Paul Mitchell's The Cream as leave-ins, Kiehl's Cream with Silk Groom mixed with about 1/2 dozen squirts of Deva Set it Free spray for "styling," and that's it (I'll add a few drops of shine stuff on really humid or rainy days if I want to increase the likelihood of a decent hair day, or if I have a special event, but just a few small drops). The only other product I use daily is Color Protect Daily Lock Spray from Paul Mitchell. I don't use anything sticky or heavy, so I don't find I need a stronger 'poo, nor do normally I find I need to use the No or Low Poo any more often than I do now. During the summer, or after I've been sweating a lot, I'll 'poo it more often perhaps, but otherwise my current 'pooing "schedule" keeps my hair and scalp nicely cleansed (never greasy or itchy or smelly).

No Poo is a gentle, creamy, yet effective cleanser. It takes getting used to a no-suds hair "shampoo" so you can always start out with the Low Poo if you prefer. It's gentle as well, but I find it to be a bit more drying for my hair, so use it infrequently as I'd mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: DevaCurl

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Really, Sweeby? I washed my hair today (always in the sink) and not hardly any hair came out. I've noticed the dirtier my hair is, the more strands come out. I especially noticed not much hair came out when I was combing it. It definitely was JF.

Boo, if I don't thoroughly wash out the conditioner, my hair will be flat as a pancake. I go very light on conditioner, just enough to get a comb through.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate this discussion and will look up/possibly try, all shampoos and such mentioned.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I agree with Lukki on using a good quality shampoo. I'll have to look and see what mine is. I have dry hair and a good shampoo and conditioner make all the difference. I buy it through my stylist and because I buy the larger sizes, it's not that pricey at all - worth it to me. I believe it is the Redkin all soft line. Anyhoo - you and I are right about the same age and I have very little hair loss. Since you've recently changed hair color, I'd be more inclined to blame that. Did you have hair loss with the old color?

tina

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

I tried the conditioner only treatment with my hair for a couple months, but did not like the results. My hair seemed drier and more brittle, and also lacked the shine that it normally does. I use a sulfate free shampoo for colored hair, and have gone back to using shampoo and conditioner again. Our water is very hard, and I seem to get better, shinier, results with both a shampoo and conditioner. At 60, there does not seem to be much hair thinning, fortunately, it is still thick and there is not too much falling out when I shower.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Just as an FYI, if you are blaming sulfates, BB, many hair dyes including some Wella products also have sulfates.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you cyn, but I am happy at the moment with the Wella but since I wash my hair every other day, I would like to find a sulfate and parben free shampoo or get to where I use little to no shampoo.
    Do you have any recommendations on haircolor though?
    I'd certainly like to hear about different brands.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I think the hair loss was with the old color. There seems to be much less now and I might be having a normal amount of hair loss now. Hard to tell.
    But there is still a ton of info all over about how bad sulfates and parabens are, really, they're not good things at all, just cheap ingredients that make lots of lather so I am definitely going to try some of the things mentioned here.
    But many people aren't bothered by shampoos with sulfates, or the risks of parabens so it's not for everyone.

• amysrq
    12 years ago

I am no poo and loving it. I tend to have frizz and it's much tamer when I don't strip out the natural oils with shampoo. I assume I will continue this way into the summer...but we'll see. Every few weeks I might use a tiny dab of shampoo...that might increase when gardening season arrives. (I am not coloring and I use Ouidad styling products.)

Everyone who is losing hair should get their thyroid checked. I know you know that, but it's worth repeating.

• roobear
    12 years ago

It looks like Tints of Nature hair color (home box color) might be a little better chemically than Wella. The same company also has a professional salon version called Organic Colour Systems. Henna can be another option, I think some Hennas use Indigo, so they can make more colors than just reds, like browns, and possibly black.

I've read that with some of the more chemical free shampoos, your hair can go through sort of a "detox" phase for a month or less where you can experience greasy hair, dry hair, dandruff, etc. before it gets back to feeling normal. Hard water can also affect the shampoos, but there are things you can add that can be helpful with this.

For really chemical free shampoo and other beauty/personal care products you might want to check out Bumble and Bee Organic, Real Purity, or Natural Joy Beauty (sells some of the products from the other two companies along with others). Natural Joy Beauty and Bumble and Bee both sell samples of some of their products. You can checkout the companies on facebook too, I know the owner of Bumble and Bee Organic is active on there answering people's questions on her products or chemical questions on their personal care products and make up, since she has a chemical background.

http://www.bubbleandbee.com/

http://www.realpurity.com/

http://www.naturaljoybeauty.com/servlet/StoreFront

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I did a search on the JF line of Go Blonde and I was stunned at all the hair loss stories from women in their 20's on up. My hair loss was definitely from the shampoo and cream rinse.

As soon as I stopped using it, my hair stopped falling out.

I have hard water too, and I've tried every shampoo out there, and I've gone back to Suave. As I've gotten older the texture of my hair went from wavy volume to more on the fine side. So basically the stronger shampoo and less conditioner the better for me.

I do a final rinse in cold water though, which really makes a difference.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Oakley - I was agreeing with your hair loss on the JF products thread. I experienced some hair loss too, but didn't connect it with the JF until now...

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I tried poo free for a short time and I agree with whoever said their hair was no longer shiny. That's a biggie with me because I think healthy hair should be shiny. My hair is wavy and not really frizzy but I do agree the poo free made it softer. But, leaving a bit of conditioner in my hair also does that. And yes, I do a cold water rinse - helps the shine factor!

tina

• User
    12 years ago

Oakley, I had no issues with the JF stuff, but stopped using it when I decided I'd try to let my hair go natural (couldn't stand it - went back to my stylist recently and had her take me very blonde again, and I'll keep it up with the professional now). Sorry it didn't work out for you. It may have affected my hair the same way, had I continued using it!

I'm currently using up the last of my Loreal Everpure, and then I'm thinking of going back to Pravana products, which I really like.

I've done the poo-free method before (complete with the ACV rinses on occasion), especially when my hair was long and I was letting it go as wavy-curly as possible. I had days where my hair looked great, and days where it just really felt like I should have shampooed. Everyone's hair/scalp is different though, so what works beautifully for one might not for another.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Bumble, no, I'm afraid I don't have any good brands. I was just mentioning it because you had said you wanted to avoid the sulfates. I used to have mine highlighted, but have quit doing that now, mostly because I just got tired of having it done and it is so darn expensive around here! I had a great guy in PA who did wonders and if I still lived there, I would probably still be highlighting. Also, I found a couple of beautiful silvery/grey hairs and was thrilled! I love grey, so I am hoping more will appear. Crazy, I know, but i do love it. Unfortunately, I will probably be like my dad who never went completely grey (just sideburns-very distinguished).

• upa_lazy_river
    12 years ago

I've used Wen hair products for 14 months and will continue with them. My hair looks better than it ever has, my thinning hair has stopped and my color lasts forever. Very, very happy with it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After reading this thread fresh, I know now why my hair is thinning. First, it is only thinning at the temples and above the ears, sort of a receding hairline so I think it is age related- I'm 48.75. I hate it! Otherwise, it looks great as long as I swoop it down a little on the sides.
    Using TJ's sulfate free shampoo when needed and conditioner as a shampoo other days.