Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirula_gw

Please bear with me ---- weepers

pirula
11 years ago

I've been on this board for what? Nine years? Please bear with me. My husband and son are out of town camping, I've had almost a bottle of wine, so I thought "chick flicks."

I just wept my way through Steel Magnolias. I hadn't watched it for years. What a beautiful film, and what strong women.

Now I'm watching Terms of Endearment. Anyone else have a depressing chick lit film death wish? And never with wine. Oy. Thank God I'm alone!!

Please? Sisterhood?b

Comments (33)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

My Sister's Keeper.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Where's Stinkygardener? We need an uplifting movie here!

• goldgirl
    11 years ago

Peggy Sue Got Married - specifically, the scene where she visits her grandparents.

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't seen My Sister's Keeper. Will look it up!

Snookums, yes. Uplifting needed. I'm about to lose it in the downer department!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Beaches~Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey. Beautiful storyline!

Have never heard of My Sisters Keeper. Who is in it?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

Oh I hated hated hated My Sisters Keeper. I cannot begin to describe my hatred for that movie. The book was excellent, perhaps why I hated the movie so much. If you want to be really depressed but read a well-written and interesting book, I would recommend the book (Jodi Picoult is the author).

• golddust
    11 years ago

Beaches!!

• pirula
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay so I'm a big book over movie person. So will read Sisters Keeper first.

But now that I'm in secondary hysterics over Terms of Endearment ( read book 25 years ago) I think it's time to go to bed.....and count my blessings.

DH laid off 4 months ago.. I'm a mess. Thank you for letting me kvetch.

PS. Loved Beaches. So my BFF and I.

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

Not exactly a chick flick, but if you're a dog person: "Marley and Me" will have you reaching for the tissues.

Also, go to YouTube or the Anheuser-Busch (sp?) site and look for the clydesdale ad that was run in the Super Bowl.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Marley and me. I read the book to DH in a kayak. The movie? Jello lite.

Feel free to vent here. You are dealing with challenging times. This is a safe place to express yourself. Hidden from most google searches. An island into itself. (((hugs)))

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

Ghost.

I don't know why-I hate that stupid movie, and I know, every single time I watch it that I will start to bawl.

Every.Fricking.Time.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

The Notebook!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

The movie I sobbed the most over was "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" with Alan Arkin....oh man! Not a chick flick but definitely a tear jerker.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

"My Sister's Keeper" was definitely depressing but worth the watch. The actors are really good.

I never did see what the big deal was over "Terms of Endearment!" I don't know, but I didn't find it sad at the end at all. What mother just sits there watching her daughter die instead of getting in bed and holding her? lol

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Stepmom--definitely a crier.

Gold dust--what do you mean "hidden from most google searches"?

Pirula--Steel Magnolias is one of my favorites. May have to watch it....

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I haven't read the book so I have no comparison. Generally, I hate the movie version of all books though! Still, I thought the movie was great; entertaining, surprising, moving, it's a tear jerker like Terms of Endearment is but which is still funny/poignant.

• judiegal6
    11 years ago

I second "The Notebook", my favorite.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I'd rather see a tear jerker than a comedy, but that's just me. A weeper doesn't have to be depressing.

Pirula - I'm sorry about your husband's job. Thanks for sharing pix of your home on the other thread. I wasn't sure if you remembered me from when the Atticmag board was around. I remember the darling room you did for your little boy.

tina

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Tinam61-- we are so made from the same cloth (how many times have we said this?!). I cry in so many movies it's embarrassing to list.. my youngest niece is a frequent movie partner and she started announcing to those around us that "be prepared, my aunt is probably going to cry!" lol! Sad, happy.. drama, animation-- doesn't matter.

I cried at all of the above-- and plenty of others. HATED HATED HATED Marley and Me. Yes, I cried but I felt the movie (and the book) were just one big build up to the gratuitous tear fest. I could go on.. but I'll spare you my rant :)

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I wanted to add-- went to see Bring on the Boom when babysitting my nephew. It's so not the kind of movie i'd normally watch-- but yes, even Kevin "Mall Cop" James made me cry!

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

One True Thing - Meryl Streep and Renee Zellweger. One of my favorites,

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

I loved Stepmom

The Deep End of the Ocean was great
    I Am Sam

• moonshadow
    11 years ago

Lots of good choices mentioned here.
    When I want to escape I go straight for Jane Austen:
    Pride and Prejudice
    Sense and Sensibility

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Too funny, I thought this was a gardening post of some sort.

How about Life is Beautiful or Amelie?

• golddust
    11 years ago

Hidden from google searches because we don't use our real names.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I remember from way way back weeping my way through Brian's Song...I think that's when I fell in love with James Caan's butt...or was it the godfather movies...oh well...he did have a cute little wiggle when he walked.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

You hit most of the ones that make me weep. When I was a kid I sobbed my way through the movie of West Side Story and one called The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. It starred Catherine Deneuve at her most gorgeous and had the song "I Will Wait for You". The lyrics are ten tissue worthy.

If it takes forever, I will wait for you
    For a thousand summers, I will wait for you
    Till you're back beside me, till I'm holding you
    Till I hear you sigh, here in my arms

And... she doesn't wait for him, for good reasons, I guess, but still. Just rip my heart out of my chest!

I enjoyed (and cried through) the book Sister's Keeper, but never liked any other Jodi Picoult books after that. I thought the movie was a ripoff. They changed the story!

I really broke down watching Peggy Sue Got Married. There is something about that story that hits people of my generation. I have a friend who watched it on an airplane and began to cry so hard the attendants had to help her. She was coming back from dealing with family stuff, so she was especially vulnerable.

Although not a chick flick, I bawled at Sophie's Choice. Who wouldn't.

Wow, now I am in the mood for a good cry.

• natesgram
    11 years ago

Message in a Bottle with Kevin Kostner and Robin Wright. It was also a book by Nicholas Sparks.

I had my first panic attack while watching Steel Magnolias cemetery scene and had to leave the theater. I had no idea what is was going to be about, but my daughter had only had diabetes for 1 year and was 7 years old at the time. Great movie though and I've now seen it several times.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Peggy Sue Got Married - specifically, the scene where she visits her grandparents.

Yes, that scene gets to me every time I watch the movie. Another one that never fails to jerk a few tears for me is "Big."

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

Love Story!

• polly929
    11 years ago

I was going to say Beaches, I see it was already mentioned. Why do we do this to ourselves.

This may sound corny, but most recently - A Dolphin's Tale had me in tears. Not a death and dying type tears but feel good, touching, happy tears, at the end of the movie where they show the actual footage. It really was a touching story.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I don't know if anyone mentioned this movie, but if you want a feel good weeper, one that makes you LOL and cry at the same time, I'd watch "Secondhand Lions." That's one movie I can watch over and over again. And I do! The cast is top notch.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

If you want to go way back and see a very romantic tear jerker, check out An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, it's the best of the best.
    Also "Summertime" with Kathrine Hepburn and Rosano Brazzi.
    Set in Venice.