Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

o
Handbag Rut? Help.

Posted by mtnrdredux (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 21:31

If memory serves, I have been using the same purse for over 10 years. (switching out sometime in the summer, or for evening)

Here it is:

I think it is time for something new. Let me tell you what I love about my bag, and maybe you can suggest a replacement...

1. I like backpacks because they leave my hands free for shopping, luggage, a briefcase, or a walk/stroll somewhere.
2. I love this backpack because it weighs NOTHING empty and is indestructible
3. I love this backpack because I wear it with a suit to the office, or with jeans. I wear it all seasons.
4. I love this backpack because it has pockets I can access easily where I keep my phone, etc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Handbag Rut? Help.

Lol I have that bag myself and I agree, it goes with me on all my trips but, I confess, I also have another 17 bags. I know, I'm a bag lady.

o

Reading #1, 2, 3, and 4, I wonder why you would change it if it is still in decent condition. :)

o

Why don't you get another one in a color? You're not into handbags ( the SAME handbag for ____ years?!! thud)
so maybe the same style with a "pop of color" he he, would be an easy transition.

o

Yayagal, I maybe have 10 other bags, IDK? But this is the one I carry all the time.

Bumble, I have bought the same bag twice already! And they don't have other colors IIRC.

Cyn, Because 10 years is a lonnnnng time, n'est-ce pas?

I have a little bit of a crush on this one, but is it too wintery? Plus no pockets.

o

I'm being totally honest and don't mean this to sound rude unkind, but IMO it looks like something my college daughter would use to go to classes. It's practical, yes, but it looks frumpy. Probably expensive, but still frumpy. You sound like a classy gal. I know there are handbags out there that are good looking but still practical. A nice leather one in brown and black together, perhaps. One with a shoulder strap? A lightweight one, which means you need to try it out in person and not order it online. Been there, done that! I love beautiful purses and have at least 25 unique ones that I cherish. But , some were ordered online just because they were so pretty . . . and turned out to be too heavy or cumbersome for every day use. I could talk purses for the next hour or so, but the bottom line is to just get out there and try them. Two things I now always need for my everyday purses is an outside slot pocket for my cell phone and a zippered outside pocket for my lipstick and car keys.
Lynn

o

Are you talking about the old Prada one? The black one? Don't worry about being unkind - that's the one I want I am tired of and want to retire!

It is IIRC about $700 --- for nylon, just because it is a Prada! But it has been a big seller for them for a long time since it is so easy to wear. I would say the parachute nylon Prada is almost an icon. They are very popular in NYC, maybe since we need hands free for cabs, subway turnstiles, etc! And maybe because black is so dominant in attire. I don't think of it as frumpy (somehow college age and frumpy seem different to me). There are also a ton of knockoffs on the streets, too. But at any rate I am tired of it.

What do you think of the second one, though? Still frumpy?

I do not want a shoulder bag. Only considering a backpack. I have looked at LV and Chanel but all of theirs are heavy (empty), plus i think those brands are getting frumpy. Do people agree?

o

Oh, and they do give you the weight of the bag on line. I'd much rather have a few things sent to me and try them then have to traipse around.

o

And if you MUST carry a backpack, this should be the one!! Gorgeous!!

Here is a link that might be useful: backpack

o

Maybe Alexander Wang? Stella McCartney? I just checked the Neiman Marcus website - they have some great backpacks.

o

Patty_cakes, I cannot tell if you are teasing or not! That looks l like it'd fit a tuna sandwich. I don't need to carry a change of clothes, but I think I need a lil' more room.
It looks like a booster fuel pack or something.

Plus, isn't Chanel "your grandmother's luxury good". Sort of 80s, KWIM? (and I say this owning one)

o

Marina,

That's where I found the Elizabeth and james one above. What others did you like on NM?

I just found a bunch on Saks' site. Oddly, they show my old black Prada in new colors, but the colors are sold out. I can't find them on Prada's website...

Here is a link that might be useful: like any of these?

o

I love my Tumi bags, so light & strong, they take abuse and keep looking good.

o

D&B 11x11x6 inches

o

If you have a Chanel that you aren't carrying and consider it your grandmother's handbag, I'll just be happy to take it off of your hands!

Of those in that link posted, I love the two Alexander Wang ones. And the Tory Burch ones have your pockets....love the black and white.

o

Mdln, Tumi is a great brand! I didn't know they did backpacks.

The only thing is I need something a tad more formal. The Prada bag is acceptable with a suit (you will just have to trust me on this! It is not uncommon), but I don't think the Tumi would be. I only work one day a week, but I hate having to change purses; I invariably forget something!

I do like this one, but I can't imagine taking it to the gym or drop off with me:

Probably the safest thing that wouldn't be too fancy for every day (jeans) but still be fine with a suit is this one:

o

Kellie,

My Chanel is a briefcase, and it is, as my DH calls it "the color of baby potty". I find this a bit ungenerous, but...

I bought it back when i was working full time and I pretty much wore black suits all the time, some very dark navy. I wanted something that looked good with both.

It is similar to this but bigger; this is only a tote.

PS I will go back and look at the ones you liked. I have been on NM, Saks and Bergdorf and they all have the same backpacks. uggh

EDITED --- Kellie, the Alexander Wang "skeletal" one is gorgeous, but too dressy for everyday IMHO. The Tory Burch ones are cute -- did you mean the spectator-y one or the stripes?

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 0:13

o

Mdln,

I used to think DnB was on ok brand, and I have a small purse from them.

But really, "look classy and cool with ... sophisticated nylon"? Oh goodness! That's kind of funny.

o

Sorry, but I just had to add.

For those of you (and I can understand why) thinking that my black backpack is about the sorriest, ugliest thing you have seen, note what it says on the Saks site about this very bag, which has been sold for well over 10 years now. (And I was wrong, it is not $700 it's $880)

DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, A CUSTOMER MAY ORDER NO MORE THAN 3 UNITS OF THIS ITEM EVERY THIRTY DAYS.

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm not the only one!

o

I like the one that you posted at 23:50, the second didn't come through. As far as not seeing it at the gym, mine is filled with people wearing their gym clothes and Louis Vuittons (it's pretty much the "uniform" ) so I don't think that the black leather would look out of place. Of course I am also the person who also gravitates to the same bag that I think is so perfect that it must work with scrubs, cocktail dresses, casual wear, and grubbies I throw on to head to the grocery store so take my advice for what it is worth.

And I would still covet the baby poop chanel briefcase and proudly wear it with my navy scrubs. There is something about that quilting with the gold chain that I love.

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 0:25

o

Not quite so fancy as Prada, but I've always loved my Coach bags (I'm not careful enough w/ my purses to buy Prada!)

Here's a cute Coach backpack that I think could go dressy or casual.

o

Nooooo mtn'dux, I'm not kidding. Didn't look at the size, but maybe there's a larger one. I'm just 'stuck' on Chanel because of the classic styling, and have always loved the quilting and chain. And if you have a Chanel sitting on a shelf in the closet, well shame on you! Ha

o

Beagles,
Hi.
Ahh! Coach! I knew I was forgetting something. (btw a lot of the Prada is the parachute material which takes noooo care at all) Thanks, I will go look.

Kellie,
I will consider the Chanel an heirloom then. The second one didn't post? I think it won't allow it.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is the leading contender right now

o

Ahhh patty - it appears that we share the same love.

o

Beagles, That one is great! I think I will order it in Mahogany, just to show my wild side (LOL).

I am also ordering the one I just posted a link to. The plus is that the big zipper is actually an outside pocket.

I will try them both.

o

avail in 3 colors

o

I like this one

o

My SIL has this bag. I admit to having bag envy, but it's not in my price range. It's the drawstring backpack by The Row.

o

Mtn, Prada has an aqua backpack, I have it and use it in the summer time. It's very similar to your present one. I like the color as I have a pair of Mephisto sandals that compliment the bag.

o

I love that first spotted one! Love it! But if you want something to carry all the time most durable leather is probably going to be heavy. I'd look at parachute material still.

o

I'm a backpack person too. I'm on my second Derek Alexander. Perfect design that stands up to time.

o

Interesting Mtn, I would not have thought of you and backpack in the same sentence.

Anyhoo, I get where you are coming from. You found something that works! I love very light bags in the Hobo style. Love the zipper, usually don't use outside pockets.
Side note: Shopping at Marshall's and bought a straw Rossetti Hobo. (A case of a cheap bag for cheap, as Rossetti is a cheap brand, but I digress...)

Although it is the same size as my Coach Hobo, it seems to work better and was lighter and more comfortable for the summer. I wore it to work and a coworker said that that she returned the same bag because the strap was inside out. Sure enough mine was too! DH took a pliers to it and solved the problem.
Some of the examples look really nice, but they don't have the features that yours does. Also, as stated they might be heavier.

When I travel, I use a Le Sports Sac bag. It's light and I can be shoved into my "going on the plane travel tote bag."
It wil be fun to see what you decide.

o

I have a large ( I can shove a laptop in it) coach backpack that I use everyday. LOVE IT. I have it in two colors. It is an old style though. I would only by vintage Coach personally in good condition on Ebay. But that is just me. :) I have seen some great backpack purses on etsy and on UrbanOutfitters in the past. Not sure what the selection is now.

Have you ever been to the purse forums Site? Oy what a time sink. :) I try to stay away.

Here is a link that might be useful: purse forums

This post was edited by boopadaboo on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 9:04

o

This is probably too "rustic" but if I were to get a backpack, I might be looking at this one.

For some reason, carrying a backpack makes me feel like my stuff is vulnerable...like someone could reach in and grab my wallet without me knowing it. I do have a beautiful black leather one that is at least 10 years old, can't even remember the brand/designer, but I never use it because in addition to the paranoia I've described, I find it awkward to use.

Here is a link that might be useful: backpack

o

SueB,
Yeah, a bit too rustic. I feel the opposite about vulnerability. The only time I'd even think about vulnerability is probably travelling, and then I wear it on my back rather then over the shoulder. To me that is safer then having something someone can grab and pull as they walk by. But again, how often am I (or you) in some place where that is really a worry anyway?

Boo, Oooh two more places to look. I think vintage Coach may be too scruffy for me. And while I don't want a cutesy size, I don't need something to carry a laptop in.

Elleni, LE sport is great for travel, I agree. I will have to look up Rosetti. It's funny how many people here react to backpacks. But the Saks people limit how many you can buy, so, again, I'm not the only one. And a lot of them are quite pricey. Here's one for $3400..

Golddust, Maybe a little too plain for me, but I will look up that line. Nice to meet a fellow fan!

Bumble - thank you! So do I! But I bought the black one. Maybe I will buy the spotted one too, DH (to my surprise) likes that one. I just wondered, it is a hide ... I'd imagine you can only wear that seasonally....

Yaya, I've not been able to find Prada in colors currently made, only fakes.

Mdln, I love love the one with the padlock! I am adding that to my list of possibles. I didn't like the Stellas, not a fan of the contrast stitching.

Nashville, I came across that one. It may be too simple for my tastes, not sure. Does it have a pocket? I noticed that some of them I have dinged for no pocket, when I go to the description, I find it has one in the back. Glad to hear of another backpack-er!

o

I never knew backpacks could be so attractive!

o

I can see your point about the convenience of a backpack in places like NYC with cabs, subways, turnstiles, etc. Which is probably why I never see them out here in New Mexico (LOL). Like SueB, though, I have a nice leather backpack handbag that I bought when they first started becoming popular many years ago. But, like Sue, I've always hesitated to use it in most places, because I worry about it being too accessible to thieves. I also find that it's too difficult for me to access things like my keys, wallet, cell phone quickly and easily. But, then again, I'm talking Santa Fe, not NYC.
That being said, I do really like several of the leather backpack bags shown above. The Stella McCartneys are too busy and "cute" for my taste. The Chanel in black would be heavenly. Of all of the ones listed above, my favorite is the Coach in black or brown leather. The look is more classic, the lines are lovely, it's a Coach so it's well-made and the clip front closure looks to be a bit more secure than a zipper. But, it's only 10 3/8" high, which IMO is a bit too small.
I'm loving all this handbag chat! You'll have to show us what you end up with.
Lynn

o

I used to be firmly in the backpack purse camp, but have in the last 6 months switched to one of those that you wear cross wise as my work and laptop bag is a back pack so got to be too hard to carry both. Gives me the same hands free that I loved about the back pack, but able to have a much smaller one.

BTW I've had the Derek Alexander that golddust showed and I liked it for its usage and nothing ever fell out of it, but I didn't like how it looked when I was wearing it. It was too rigid for me. I used it for about a year before donating it.

I also had a similar to the ones you show that look more like a sack with the narrow draw strings and it was really uncomfortable and only lasted a couple of months with me. The narrow bands cut into my shoulders too much even when I didn't have much weight in it. I try to be minimal in what I carry.

Then there was the drawstring with flap over it. I really like the style and used it for several years, but small stuff would fall out of the top if I wasn't careful or forgotten to zipper something inside. This is when I moved to the Derek Alexander. I guess from one end to the other.

The one I really liked was a Diesel that had the same look but used a zipper. And the flap on the front was a separate pocket. I used it for 4 years and still have it.

o

Here's one more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Longchamp backpack

o

OOh, Sue, that's a very nice one!

o

Okay, I have narrowed it down to seven that I like and that meet my criteria (Alexander McQueen was kicked out for lack of any exterior pockets).

The polls are open! We are voting on looks only! WHich bag would make you say "ooh, nice bag"? Please vote. : )

o

I'm a little amazed that the backpacks aren't targets of pick-pocketers.

ML

o

duplicate post removed

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 15:01

o

Top left. Love that one.

I do have a question for all of you backpackers, though. I have never gotten one because I don't like the idea of having something with an exposed opening on my back. It always seems so much easier to pickpocket if you are in a crowd. Has that ever been a concern for you? If I could tun them around to have the opening next to my back rather than facing away, I would get one in a heartbeat.

o

Cyn,

Never a concern for me. I have worn one for over ten years, and until I retired in 2010, that meant I wore one commuting into Manhattan every day.

Moreover, the biggest risk is someone grabbing your purse as they walk by and running with it. That is harder to do if you wear a back pack as a backpack. If you wear it slung over your shoulder, which I often do, it is no easier or harder to take your purse.

I suppose the real difference would be if you wore it backpack style on say, a crowded subway (which I did do plenty of times). But even then, the person has to get very close to your face (the back of your neck), and open up the bag and then get in there. How on earth would you not notice that? And everyone around you. Pickpockets work on the principal of people not noticing or seeing ... hence they go in your pocket!

If you are considering one for the first time, you probably want to look in person. Are the straps adjustable and comfortable? How easy is it to get in your purse to get something out? Is there a place to keep things that is easy to reach, like your phone?

A lot of the time I carry it like any other purse. But I love having the option of "putting it behind" me and feeling purse-less!

PS Glad you like the first one. I actually ordered it last night. But I am still considering the others. I may get two. DH says the first looks like a "little black dress" that you just want to unzipper, LOL. Hey, a vertical line is always a good thing!

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 13:20

o

I dislike the top 4th. Don't mind my personal quirk, but I hate being a walking billboard for a luxury good. The others are more subtle with the branding. Hence why I like the row bag, nothing screams hey look how much I spent on this ( although at 3400 it's extremely pricey)

I think since you already ordered the little black dress of purses, perhaps the second on top row would be a great option. I like the lines and brown. It seems more versatile than the coach.

Is it just me or does the resurgence of the backpack purse leave anyone else wondering what 90s fashion trends will re-emerge next? Now there's a thought to make me shudder.

o

The first one, with the second one a slightly distant second. Glad you ordered the first one, mtn. I love it, and totally agree with your DH!

Regarding pickpockets. It is highly advisable to leave the backpack at home if you are in London. Especially in crowded locations, which is just about anywhere. Pretty much like mtn said, in subways if it's on your back, be careful and don't have it out of your sight. I love backpacks, and anything I carry must have an outside pocket or two for keys, etc. But in London I carry a bag differently - a small crossbody, things in pockets, and very minimal cash or credit cards at any time. In fast, that's mostly true just about any time I travel any more.

o

Thanks, Mtn.

Your DH sounds like a cutie!

o

Lol, Cyn, he is.

Outside, thank you!

Nashville, I totally agree with you, in fact, I tend to think that very high profile brands like LV and dare I say Chanel are a little ... outre? I mean those brands were hot in the 80s, when I first lusted after them, but I slaked that in the 90s. To me, today, it looks like "oh, you finallllllly got one of those"? The Row bag is too severe or modern for me, and -- killer -- does not have an exterior pocket to facilitate my compulsive iphone checking! I know that would drive me nuts.

I don't think backpacks have resurged at all (they are certainly not in on GW), I think there is a core group, perhaps skewed toward city dwellers, who have always liked them.

o

Mtn, I bought mine at Prada in Venice in an aqua blue. Here's one on the Neiman Marcus site, it shows the black but mentions what they call blue and it's more aqua than blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: bag

o

Do you mean like this?

o

I have an obsession with finding the right bag, and one of my criteria is that it has to have an outer pocket(s) for my phone and keys. So I would eliminate any that don't have an outer pocket, but that's just me. One of my many other criteria is that it can't be too heavy, which of course is hard to tell from pictures!

I like the Longchamp one, the Coach one, the animal print one!, and the one on the lower right (where's that one from?).

DH got me a great printed Longchamp bag for Christmas but it has no pockets... sad. Below is the one I'm using right now -- it's lightweight and has a pocket on the back -- but I wish it were a couple of inches bigger. Yes, it's pricey but this has now become an annual thing for DH. He bought me a designer purse once years ago and was wildly successful, so now he tries it every Christmas (not always wildly successful).

Here is a link that might be useful: my bag, not to hijack...

o

Ooh, this one is adorable. (Told you I'm obsessed.)

Here is a link that might be useful: another one

o

SueB,

I agree, among the choices shown they ALL have outer pockets.

The one on the lower right is a Louis Vuitton, the epi leather line? I think it's only avail vintage. It is a bit hardsided from what I recall so I don't know if it will feel like a box bouncing on my back when I walk ...

DH knows you cannot buy a purse for someone else. I recently learned you cannot buy a wallet for someone else (DH), either!

o

SueB,

Why didn't I remember Kate Spade? And why didnt Neiman, Saks or Nordstrom have them on their sites?

They are both so cute!

o

Oh no, I am going to have to rename it Handbag glut!
I like too many of these. Definitely buying more than one!

As for the Prada in colors, I can only find it in the website below. I don't get it, it says they are original Prada but they are selling $245, vs $880 on the Sals site for the black Prada I have. How can that be?

In the meantime I really like the chocolate one:

Here is a link that might be useful: How could these be legit?

o

Ugh this thread is not good for my wallet but a great distraction! I just bought the second Kate spade. Thanks for posting Mtn!

o

LOL, you did? The nylon one? My daughter likes that one, too. But I don't think it has an outside pocket?

o

Ohh I love those Kate Spade ones. the first reminds me a lot of my Diesel one, so I may have to order that second one.

From the others based on looks only I like the first one on the first row and bottom row and middle.

As for pick pocket - you have to be careful where you put your stuff, but generally I would hold my bag in my hand and not over my shoulder in the subway. Also made sure nothing of value was easy to get to and put it all the way down in the bag. Hard for people to reach in all the way and get that with the height it sits at and not be noticed.

o

Yes I did. I prefer interior pockets to exterior. But I do understand the need for others. Now the problem is I'm on the longchamp site. Is it rude to wake up a sleeping patient in order to prevent a 2nd purchase? J/k. The internet has made retail therapy too easy. Atleast before I could write off the whole ordeal as exercise as I did lots of walking, right?

This post was edited by NashvilleBuild42 on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 14:51

o

Hmmmm....what to do on a snow day? Buy bags of course! I'm trying to resist but I'm growing weaker. Everybody who knows me, knows that I am terrible about having 20 bags in the closet and hardly ever changing bags. What a waste. But those Kate Spades are cute, and those $245 Prada's?

o

Okay, so let's talk size. The nylon Kate Spade is 15' wide. Most of the others are around 11-12". I am smallish (5'4" and small boned). I think you are right. I will need to go try some on at the store. With luck we will have another snow day tomorrow and I can take my little AWD out to the mall! :)

I also am carrying an old bag, but all of mine are more than 10 years old! Ha. Still fine, but now you have me itching for something new. You are all such enablers.

o

Still not happy with NM for the credit card breach but that's beside the point. I'm looking elsewhere so here's another site with some interesting bags if you still looking....

Here is a link that might be useful: Backpacks on Net-a-Porter

o

eh, who HASN't had a breach it seems sometimes!

NM is my favorite store, so I have a bias,

Arapaho, They all have the usual suspects, except Jerome Dreyfuus. never heard of those ...

o

Um, I just printed out the pic of the leather Kate Spade one to stick in my calendar so I can remember to ask for it for Mothers Day :)

Snow day indeed. Everything is cancelled here for the afternoon so I'm sitting with DD while she watches TV and I browse spring clothes on my iPad.

o

Sue, Kate Spade owes you a commission!

I am going to wait till I get my Elizabeth and James bag and see if I like it. If i do, i think i will get the spotted one, too. If I don't maybe I will get the Kate Spade too!

o

Those who wear backpacks are very lucky if they've never had contents stolen. See link below. The one thing it doesn't mention is that pickpockets often just carry a sharp knife and cut the backpack enough to get their hand in and take your wallet or whatever. The person being stolen from never feels a thing. Same with men carrying their wallet in their back pocket.

I've never felt comfortable, for security reasons, using a backpack, always use a shoulder bag and when in a crowd I carry it across my front holding it tightly. I know there is always the possibility of a pickpocket grabbing a purse but holding tightly in certain situations reduces the possibility. They are opportunistic thieves and would find it easier to slit your backpack than to grab my purse when I'm holding it tightly as they see me as being more aware of the possibility of thievery than a backpack wearer.

When we traveled in large cities in Spain we sometimes saw 2 men on a moped and we had been warned the passenger was there to grab a woman's purse and the moped would speed off, the purse never again to be seen. Since my purse was safely held to my body they couldn't get it. I also walked as far from the edge of the sidewalk as possible.

I've seen women (as I'm sure we all have) carrying an open purse with wallet in plain site. Just shake my head over that level of ignorance.

One cannot protect from every eventuality but we have to be realistic. I also always lock my vehicle whether in it or not, and lock my house. I don't think insurance is valid if they are not locked and anything is stolen.

Here is a link that might be useful: backpack pickpockets

o

Sorry, Luckygal, for my plain words, but that report is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

To wit, from the link:
" ...the pocket is behind the owner who usually has no clue the thieves is unzipping the pocket as they are walking down the street. ...It's not nuclear science that most thieves know that 90 percent of the time when someone is wearing a backpack or daypack, they usually have their wallet or cell phone just inside this rearward facing pocket. And if it's not the wallet, thieves are finding it very common that other valuables are also easily removed without the victim's knowledge - including iPads, laptops, tablets, or other expensive electronics."

REALLY?
You can remove an ipad without the victim's knowledge? Yes, you could, if you render the victim unconscious first! Who would not notice someone 5" away from them (the depth of the backpack) I know when my kids are taking a TicTac!

My wallet in the front pocket? hardly! My wallet would never fit.

OF COURSE, I have no reason to care, I'm not selling backpacks, I am buying them. It's a funny thing, some people are always thinking about crime, and some people, like me, feel it is nearly a non-issue. It's almost a temperament thing I guess. The crime index where I live is almost too low to measure. But even for the 15 years I lived and worked in NYC, and even travelling the globe, often alone, I have never worried about crime. I take what I think are precautions, but they are minor. And I have never been the victim of or witness to a crime, nor has anyone in my circle.

I also firmly believe, in part from things I learned years ago when i worked on a deal for the company that guards all the top jewelers, furriers, etc, that locking doors and such only deters amateurs.

Edited to add -- forgot to say, insurance insures you against theft, period. It doesn't matter how easy it was!

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 17:36

o

mtnredux, modaqueen sells fakes, or they would call them "authentic" fakes, hahaha…

read about it on the purseforum

Here is a link that might be useful: modaqueen fakes

o

They have to be, of course, but why does Prada allow it so blatantly? Where did it say "authentic fake" ?

I will go read the link, I'm curious. Of course when you make something from such humble materials that is it so easily faked, Prada deserves what they get perhaps...Thanks!

o

Lucky,
Just like you can take a shoulder bag and hold it tight to the front of your body, a back pack wearer can also transfer their pack and carry it in front of them, kind of like a front baby carrier. In very crowded places I would switch the back pack to the front and you still get to have free hands. See, problems can be easily solved!

I carried a back pack for years while the kids were little and then while we lived in Tokyo. When we moved to CA I switched back to a purse with shoulder strap.

No one mentioned Brighton. They have some good purses and most of them have pockets/compartments

Here is a link that might be useful: Brighton

o

According to this Frommer's article, backpacks have high "pickability"

Where: Backpack
Pickability: High
What to Watch Out For: Pickpockets often use objects to divert your attention. For example, the thief may be dressed as a tourist carrying a map. He'll ask for help with directions, distracting you with the map.
What the Experts Say: It's easy for a con artist to open your backpack while you walk. To see video recordings of common techniques, visit the site of a security consultant who has studied pickpockets for more than 20 years (www.bobarno.com).

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/articles/7223.html#ixzz2tGn6UmSK

Here is a link that might be useful: Frommers

o

I have become the Defender of the Defamed Backpack today, when I was just asking around for cute purse recommendations, but here goes.

The Frommer's article ranks the "Pickability" of a Backpack the SAME as a Purse. So, readers, please STOP carrying purses of any kind! Alert!

This is from the Frommer's link above:

Where: Backpack

Where: Back pocket of your pants

Where: Purse
What the Experts Say: Leave your purse in a hotel safe.

o

As my Hungarian friend used to say ... Oy Vey!

o

LOL even a simple discussion as what purse to choose can take a different turn. It is interesting to see all the perspectives In addition to just style choices. I don't think I'll change my mind though. I like backpack purses and overall to me they offer the most benefits over any other.

o

mtn - I think those that posted their concerns about backpacks were merely concerned for your well being.

As for your favorite backpack - go with one of the Prada knockoffs - like the one you're toting now - but get a different color to change it up a little. And then select one or more of those beautiful leather ones, providing they meet your criteria for weight, convenience and style.

Good luck in your search. Finding the perfect bag is my personal Holy Grail.

o

Well you know, it is a full moon today. :)

o

That's it everybody, we must go back to wearing fanny packs ;)

o

My goodness, this one veered way off, for a post I thought looked like fun!

I cannot imagine fear of crime dictating the bag I wore. And I live in the big, bad city. It's kind of crazy to me! I also agree that a purse is no safer than a backpack, and personally I think less so.

But I am not a backpack fan. Maybe I am the only one who thinks this way, but doesn't having a backpack, especially a patterned one, draw attention to one's derriere? No thank you. I never bought one when it was a trend, and I won't start now.

As for voting, and though I am deeply concerned, too, about Mtredux's well being, I vote for the first one. I think it's simple and elegant (for a backpack).

o

mtn, I checked out Burberry ... not sure if these are even of interest. Shall we say a bit more sporty?

o

Arapaho,

You are so kind! I can't believe that when i started this search Id forgotten names like Coach, Kate Spade and Burberry!

I like the first one a lot, but it is prob too casual - nice lines though. The black one won't feel like a change at all, the green isn't me. I do like the traditional plaid one a lot; but my raincoat is burberry so not sure if it will look silly. But that will go on the list!

Thanks, again.

o

Mtnrd, I'm a little late to the party but the bag that would give me "bag
envy" would definitely be #1- top left.

o

Picks from the lineup: top left, bottom middle

Agree with your DH about the color of your Chanel bag, but it would have been fabulous in red for black and navy suits.

Of all suggested, like the Tory Burch and Longchamps best. I have Longchamps totes in many colors, they are very practical but would not have lasted with constant use as long as your prada bag. But, they are not as expensive, either. Do not like the animal print bag at all, perhaps it would not look so reproductively organic in another shape! I think the Kate Spade bag has weird proportions (too wide), and have always felt the quality of KS goods never quite justifies their price.

My current favorite in the winter handbag rotation (and let me exclaim what a pleasure it is to have a place to discuss handbags, lol) is a large capacity black Tory Burch shoulder bag, but I recently rearranged my closet to make it easier to change bags and now I do so at least three times a week. For traveling, I like smaller crossbody bags, and I never understood the rationale of buying a backpack and wearing it 99% of the time as a shoulder bag, especially as the straps--- on some, almost strings rather than straps--- are so thin and uncomfortable.

o

Thanks, KSWL!

Too me, Longchamps are the bags you pack in your luggage so when you buy stuff you can carry it! Way too light and thin for everyday use.

I hate changing bags! There is always something that doesn't make it over!

o

You've got me bag shopping now :)

Never have looked at backpacks before and I think some of the ones I posted may be for men and I didn't realize it.

o

Arapaho.... I try not to post on my iPhone. ... Addicted enough. But too funny. , a guy just sat down next to me with the LV backpack I posted above !

And yes, a lot if them are marketed unisex.., I had noticed that the LV is actually under "men" on their site.

o

Late to the party here. My current bag is a Cole Haan. I think their backpacks are very nice. I think you should add the one on the left to the running! Their leather is wonderful.

I like the look of a backpack slung over one shoulder. I could not deal with getting both arms in and out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cole Haan

o

You guys are reading my mind. I was getting my watch fixed when I spotted LV-man, then we headed out and a block and a half away I ran into ... Cole Haan.

I actually tried on the black one. I liked it but on me it looked like a school girl bookbag for some reason, and I can't really pull off school girl ...

o

I bet you could rock this one, and the price is right, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hello backpack 4 you

o

As Sue, Lynn and others have mentioned vulnerability to purse snatchers or pick-pockets was my first thought. Having been picked on the Tube in London and had my purse snatched on the "T" is Boston (both experiences were many years ago), I have become very cautious.

Having said that, you are experienced traveling in and out of NYC and have never had a problem, so carry on and chose one or two that you like.
Here are some at Nordstrom's:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-backpacks?dept=8000001&origin=topnav&cm_sp=Top Navigation-_-Handbags-_-Backpacks
The Tumi Alpha T looks great. Have you checked that one
out? Tori Burch has some good looking backpacks also.
The rag and bone Pilot looks great. So many choices!

o

I was curious and found this interesting article, never a fear with me, I keep my wallet/passport in a money belt in a big city and my purse, whatever it is firmly clutched.

Here is a link that might be useful: pickpockets favorite purses

o

Mtn, I have never been a fan of the backpack look overall, but lo and behold, thanks to this thread, I bought your beloved Prada backpack on friday , I am using it as on board luggage today.
It fits my macbook air and also iPad, a few files and my wallet and I walk a lot when I'm in Florida so I think this will be a good solution for me.
Time will tell though, I'll report back.

o

Mitchdesj,

Save travels! I hope it serves you well.

o

All this talk about pickpockets brought back a very old memory back for me.
I was probably in my early twenties, walking out of a Patty LaBelle concert. I felt a tug on my pocketbook and realized someone's hand was in it! I pulled it away and he was not able to get my wallet. He would have disappointed as I had very little cash and probably just my Macy's credit card.
But, what stands out in my mind is that, here we all were, a crowd exciting a concert that we all mutually enjoyed. Like minded people. Yet, not that at all.
After that incident I fantasized about putting mouse traps in my purse.

o

Ellendi,
Too funny - mouse traps!

The joke in my house is that if someone stole my wallet, all the better, as they would probably spend less than I do!

I don't carry much cash either. The real loss would be if someone got my makeup bag. I use Chanel and all told it could be a few hundred bucks to replace lipstick, blush, powder, lip pencil, eye pencil, etc it really adds up!

o

thanks mtredux, my long flight was on time but I did not like travelling with the BP, lol… ( I overloaded it ) it was worth a shot and I'm sure I'll use it on my long walks. It sure is cute.

o

It did sound like a lot! Esp. a laptop!

o

Who knew?

Here is a link that might be useful: Backpacks

o

I just bought this messenger on Etsy...Maybe next time I'll get the Prada. :)

I was sick of my plain, black bag and can't really justify spending the money that the ones I like cost.

Beth P.

o

That's so cute! Certainly anti rut. My girls love Etsy for messenger bags, that's what they use for school.

o

I had a hard time with the flow-- which bags did you get? I love the Elizabeth and James bag with the gold zipper but i worry that it isnt big enough (the sling backpack is adorable too!). I have had and loved the coach backpack but I didnt think it was particularly light.

I definitely need something that is a little professional (I don't wear suits-- more a jeans and jacket wardrobe) but I want it to be functional and big enough for a walk in the city, a plane ride or a day trip. Love the prada and the alexander mcqueen but I prefer to stay under $300. I am much less fickle with my bags than i was even a few years ago so I'll consider more --but only for the perfect bag.

o

Funky, I bought two.

The Eliz and James with a zipper. The leather is so soft. But, it is more of a dressy bag because the traps are so delicate, IMHO. Im used to a bag I dont worry about.

I also bought the fake Prada in dark brown. Id have bought a real one if I could find a real brown Prada, but I can't. We will have to see what the difference is!

o

This thread is so fun! I alternate between the prada backpack, the row bag my SIL posted, then a couple of fun cheap Kipling bags. The Brown And the striped burberry are calling my name though. Retail therapy could cure what ails me, right?

Did you ever find a bag to break the rut, Mtn?

o

Did you know that Elizabeth and James and The Row are lines from the Olsen twins? They have become quite the entrepreneurs!

o

It IS fun, isnt it, I<3? That was my fear with the Elizabeth and James too... that it was too soft, too precious. I want a backpack because I will toss in back of the car and not worry about it.

I'd forgotten about Kiplings-- maybe I'll pick one of them up until I find what i want. The bag I am using now is going to be too heavy in the spring.. whenever it arrives!

o

Cyn. I didn't not know that. Totally ruins the brand for me.

o

Being the owner of a Volvo and ASKO dishwasher I, of course, have to suggest the classic Kanken mini.

Here is a link that might be useful: I love my kanken

o

Yep, Mtn, I agree. Sorry. Then again, maybe I need to let go of my past impression of them. Sigh. Nah, ain't gonna happen.

o

LOL, the Kanken!
that looks like something my former employer gave all of us to keep in our offices after 9/11. I think it had a flashlight, a blanket, MREs, water, a flare, etc etc

Cyn, seriously, I may send it back now! see how precarious "luxury" branding can be?

o

What difference does it make?
Why is Prada better than something else? I'm serious.

Shouldn't it be about what is well made and stylish? Most designers live lives no better than than the Olson twins. (and still, is that important? I know I can't support Michael Vick no matter how good he is on the field...or how much money he makes...)
But I'm all for beautifully made bags.

o

I agree with you Bumblebeez. I would only care if it were a beautifully made handbag. I have to admit to not knowing anything about the Olsen twins other than they were in a 70's or 80's series with John Stamos.

There are so many beautiful handbags posted here. I am very partial to Bottega Veneta. I wonder if they are now considered grandma's luxury items? It's ok...cuz I'm old enough to be a granny :-).

o

Daisychain - we have one of those minis - my daughter used it when she was smaller. My mom brought it for her. A nod to my childhood when they were the "in thing" when I was growing up.

I do remember it wearing like it would never die - as by then I was old enough they were no longer popular with that age group and I didn't want it anymore.

o

Bumble, Marlene, I am only joking. I do not know anything about the Olsen twins, i had heard of them and knew they were TV stars but that's about it.

But I am also serious in that, for luxury brands, popularity is not quite rational and thus very precarious. I am not sure I would call this bag a designer bag, but at $600 it is certainly higher end.

What makes someone pay (overpay!) for luxury is image. Associating my bag with TV stars, in my view, diminishes it. One somehow hopes its design came out of a smoke filled Parisian garret where counter-culture studio art majors dreamt it up.

As for your broader question, eg your Prada question. For me, i was attracted to them because peers had them, and continue to use them for the functional reasons outlined. They are a status symbol only in narrow circles, not really much of a symbol at all.

By contrast, some of the other brands discussed, Chanel, LV are still status symbols IMHO. In some business circles, they are power symbols. Less so now that they are copied, and replaced by the Birkin bag. Power symbols have their place, like clothing, they are semaphore.

o

lyfia, too funny - they seem to be the in thing again. My exceedingly hip teenager just ordered one. I wish f-raven would make a duffle, as I still haven't found one I like yet.

o

I guess it would make sense being an in-thing again as it was in the early to mid eighties and it appears a lot of the fashion is of that time period too now.

Although I don't think those were available on the North American continent then - actually didn't realize they were now either.

o

Bumble - I own a row bag. Its nicely made. My straps are comfortable not too dainty. I am a child of the 80s & 90s perhaps it is fitting I have an Olsen bag? I bought it though because the branding isn't obnoxious and the straps were comfortable. I hated so many other options because of the branding. Less expensive brands had wonky stitching or were too sporty or similar to older purses I had. I grew up attending private schools where the only individualization I had was through purses, shoes ( only dress shoes no heels or sneakers) and hair accessories. I also grew up in horse country. Purses just like shoes were the clear delineation of old vs new money. It's a game I didn't play but many girl I knew and women I know today still play the power game based on wearing certain shoes or watches or purses. To them an Olsen bag would not carry the same cache as other brands.

On the other and I would mix a designer purse with a swatch or a timex. I don't care about the social cache of my purses. I just want purses that will last and aren't too flashy. For example, I Have kept many of my bags over the years and still use a coach bag from 4th grade! Timeless style , subtle branding. On the other hand I didn't keep one liz Claiborne or guess purse as they had crazy branding logos .

In the same vein I do not own any LV. I find LV obnoxious. It's loud and showy. I've always associated LV with men who drive corvettes. There are much better luxury brands with better performance out there but its a cheap entry into the "status" symbol market. To me corvettes arent luxury snd neither is one LV bag. The multi piece LV luggage set is still a status symbol, but not worth the money. I think LV knows their customer quite well and this is why The logo is so noticeable. I also think the prevalence of LV in the hip hop culture coupled with the proliferation of fakes is diminishing it's status symbol appeal.

On the other hand I bought my prada bag because it's well made and very subtly branded. It goes with anything and is quite versatile.

I also was gifted a birkin, but I'll never carry it. To me it's obscene. I would have returned it, but that would have crushed my grandmum. I even stage the stupid thing in our entryway whenever she visits. So she thinks it gets a real workout, when it has never even left the confines of our house! I feel ridiculous admitting that but it's true.

Are any of my "luxury" bags better than the other? I think so yes. But not because of who makes them but how they are constructed and fit within my lifestyle.

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 15:27

o

Now this is *my* idea of a backpack! Although not called a backpack per'se, the 'bucket bag' is large enough to hold probably as much as a large backpack. Not a Chanel(or even close), but it's that chain strap, get's me every time.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Backpack'

o

Oh that takes me back to my grad school days when I carried a mahogany Coach bucket bag. It held so much - I used to call it my feed sack.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'classic' Coach bucket

o

That reminds me, I have Burberry bucket bag somewhere, but I don't know where it is. I think I have a box o' bags somewhere from moving, still.

Anyway, the Moschino is very nice, except for the name. Too Kardashiany to me. However, you got me looking at Net-a-porter and I really liked the one below. But they are out of stock so I got it at NM. I must have seen it at NM before and rejected it for no outside pocket? I am lowering my standards ...

Here it is. My handbag rut is now officially a glut.

o

Ooooh, very nice! I think it's the little bit of bling that makes the decision for me. I could see it dressy or w/jeans.

Yeah, a little like one of the 'K's' might carry, but again, I don't care for plain and boring, which your new one isn't, but the old one, too 'schoolgirl-ish'.

o

::: cocking head :::

What happened to Golddust's post, and the responses from Sue B et al?

o

And now, I post, but the thread does not move.

Huh?

o

I also was wondering where Golddust's post went, Mtn. I am sorry you didn't have an opportunity to respond to it.

I remember her posting that we should just google the most expensive purse and buy it while there are people going hungry and living in tents (paraphrasing).

All I can do is roll my eyes at this point. (and admire my new Burberry tote).

o

Yeah, that was it. Wasn't the loveliest of messages, but not sure why it needed to be pulled?

Bizarre.

o

and all I said was now I want a pink leather backpack Sue, and mine got pulled too. Very odd indeed.

o

Mtnrdredux did respond. For some reason I opened this thread today (and it's several days old). Please give Goldie a little slack. For those of us who have posted with her for some time - that is unlike her. I hope everything is okay with her.

These type responses are often pulled and those who responded probably got a "friendly reminder".

o

I have never seen anything like that pulled. I mean it was just a bit snarky, it wasn't offensive or inappropriate.

I don't think anyone at GW sits around reading this drivel, so a poster had to have asked for it to be pulled.

o

Maybe she did. Like I said, it was a bit out of character for Goldie and maybe she had second thoughts.

o

Indeed it was not like her at all, she posted at midnight.

o

eh, no harm done. We all get at least one do-over.

o

GW pulled it-they told her it was rude.

Sorry to have to say this, but this thread, and frankly, a lot of them lately, have been very much related to first world problems.

Having been here at GW for over a decade, I've never seen the topics so dedicated to super luxe (to most of the population) issues as they've been the past year. This forum used to be about exactly what the heading at the top of the page said-how to mix the antique commode
with your thrift store finds. Not that it's always been about cheap decor-the convo side used to be a place where it felt that you could curl up with your cup of tea and commiserate with girlfriends. Show pics of the kids & grandkids, share recipes, tell jokes and do the GTKY that always popped up here and there.

The topic of trying to remember old members-many were around for years, came every day-and it was a good place to be. But it slowly started in on the discussions side-went from talking about shopping for window treatments at JCP and DIY decor to $1000 sheet sets and light fixtures that could buy a good used car

It's not income envy, by any means-most of the former posters (maybe they still lurk?) could do the same, if they wanted to, but I'd suggest that most don't. At least it never was the key topics of discussion.

Frankly, I'm with Gold, it just seems too ostentatious to constantly be throwing out the jet set lifestyle when a lot of the (former) posters themselves fell on very hard times. There were plenty of gals who's husbands were forced out of jobs during the recession and who were scraping by-and there have been times when collections were taken up for other GWers who'd fallen on hard times.

The feeling of having the GW family is gone and now its just about how impressive it is to buy a handbag that can feed a family for nearly a year. I've just finished some work with environmental justice and seen poverty that you cannot imagine. It breaks my heart. This is real stuff going on in our country-and to see every other post be about expensive trips and luxury goods and designer this-it's just gotten tiring.

I'm sorry, this is not directed at any one person-do not take it personally-I'm generalizing here, and trying (and failing) to express frustration and nostalgia. I know that Golddust and others are missing the vibe that used to be here. Gold was frustrated. She's long been an advocate for the downtrodden, and uses her good fortune in life to care for others.

So with that-I'm also done here. It's been a long run. I've made lifelong friends and have shared heartbreak and joy with my friends here. I've been showered with love from strangers and received incredibly wise advice. Now I'm just gonna quietly go to play with others that I have more in common with.

Ciao.

o

@pesky1 - PLEASE don't leave. I confess the bags I posted costing $1200-1900 were posted (at least on my part) - as a joke. I would never spend that amount of money on a bag.

In my work, I see some people more concerned about carrying status bags and driving a new high-end vehicle, than getting their prescriptions filled. Life is all about individual priorities.

A favorite quote: "The most important things in life, are not things."

o

Pesky, just because someone might spend a lot on a purse does not mean that person doesn't spend ten times as much helping the less fortunate.

Just because a person doesn't talk about the charitable things she does doesn't mean that she doesn't volunteer for a myriad of organizations that help abused and neglected children and senior citizens.

Golddust is not the only person who uses her good fortune to help others.

I could go on but alas...it's just not that important.

o

Well, I have never seen GW pull a "rude" post sua sponte. It has to be reported by someone. But, anyway...

Clearly, decor is a first world problem, by definition. So your starting comment strikes me as nonsensical. If you want to dwell exclusively on weightier matters, I truly applaud you, but I am not sure how GW was ever a fit, if that is truly your gripe.

I have never been nasty or snide or put down anyone on this board, and certainly never would do so simply because a poster, for example, may only able to afford something less than average. So I am not sure why it is okay to villify those who can afford more than average. It is equally rude in my book.

I find this to be wonderful community, and I have found people that I, TOO, have a lot in common with. Look at how many people actually bought a purse as we wound through this thread (which, I will note, others kept alive). Look at how many people had gone on similar trips, or had the same trips on their bucket list. Or how many good recipes or jokes have been shared. Not to mention the tireless, thoughtful and generous advice on decor and just about everything else. We are in agreement, GW is a wonderful community.

I don't begrudge you your community. Why begrudge those of us who have interests in different things, for whatever reasons? It would seem to me to be very easy to ignore threads that don't interest you, and they will die a natural death. I don't think you should give up the enjoyment you have taken from GW just because of a few posters you disdain. That would be a terrible shame.

o

Mtn does not need defending. Just from her posts on this forum, I know her to be generous, caring, helpful and lastly, yes, fortunate. It is relevant to note that she mentioned she has used her prada bag almost exclusively for 10 years. That is less than a 100 bucks per year bag budget. And no matter if she spent 100k per year on bags it is no one' s business to judge.

This post was edited by roarah on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 23:33

o
Handbag Rut

ah Pesky, you will be missed, but I can't judge your reasons, they belong to you alone.

I still think this forum has room for everyone, and the diversity is what I always liked, the freedom to converse about various topics without having to censor ourselves in case we'd offend someone with the price of what is being discussed.
Iif no one speaks up,we have the illusion of not being judged, but we are really.

I dislike the feeling of being told what to do though….

o

The notion that someone has to lead an ascetic lifestyle in order to care about those in need is offensive. I only tell people of my work with charities if I am trying to fund raise or draw attention to that cause. (Otherwise it comes across as pompous self aggrandizement like look how good I am! Woohoo I'm a great person!). Carrying a luxury handbag and bettering the world are not mutually exclusive.

I can't afford to routinely stay in luxury resorts, but we do travel and I have found ideas for day excursions or once in a lifetime trips from those posters who can. As for the decor threads of the jet set, I love them! It provides great inspiration to my "get the look for less folders." I, in turn, realize my home projects (when finished and revealed) may one day inspire another poster's get the look for less project.

Why leave, pesky? Just ignore the threads of people you, gold and others find lacking. I like the diversity on this forum. I hope it continues.

o

There are many posts in this thread and perhaps I missed it some where along the line but I remember mtn saying her Prada backpacks were knock offs - so I don't understand the issue.

However it serves to remind us that what we post and read here is a severely limited view and it would be better if we didn't give it so much consideration. I enjoy the fact that it's a varied forum.

This post was edited by quilly on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 9:04

o

Seriously?! We get to open the threads we want, contribute where we have something to add and then go about our lives. We have shared snippets of our lives, our families, our triumphs and our struggles. I love this community-- and while I dont read or contribute to all threads, what I love IS the diversity in topics, perspectives and lifestyles. Am I in the market for a 2k bag? no-- but who cares! i was considering a $500 bag and the experiences here swayed me to save the splurge. I appreciate that-- $500 is a lot for me to spend to be disappointed. That made the whole thread valuable to me.

Considering that the posters who lashed out have posted many threads about their families and loved ones-- joyous events and heartbreaking events-- and received nothing but overflowing support from this community. I find this response to be especially unfair and uncalled for.

I hope you each find a community of like-minded people where you will be more comfortable. Me? I welcome the variety and celebrate the light-hearted and respectful discussions.

o

Censorship:
IMO, it is disconcerting when posts or entire threads are removed.

This GW practice removes all opportunity for self awareness on the part of participants. In the virtual world, the only feedback is the written word as opposed to visual cues and tone of voice. By removing the posts or thread, we are not reminded that words and language matter.

On other forums, when a topic is deemed contentious (?), the moderator simply closes the thread to new posts. Oftentimes, this is done with a, "That's All Folks" signature.

Seems like a more adult approach.
~bgj

o

Pesky, I would be sorry to see your and/or Goldie leave this forum. I can understand your thoughts on this matter, as I understand the "other side" of thinking on this same subject. So maybe you could just agree to disagree on this and not leave us.
You would be missed!

tina

o

I am generally a happy person, usually tolerant and it's my fault for reading through this thread. I did not ask for my post to be removed and I dislike the censorship on this forum even more than (perceived) glutinous purchases. I received a 'friendly reminder' in my email box.

(What Pesky said)

o

Normally, I say my piece and move on-and I am moving on as I noted, but I just wanted to clarify a few things.

First, I apologize to Golddust for appearing to speak for her. My intention was to note that she received notice from GW that THEY pulled her comment.

Secondly, this rant had nothing-zero-nada to do with handbags. I myself own some luxury handbags. I enjoy the finer things in life myself. I also had ZERO intent to imply that anyone here was not charitable. I said nothing of the kind and I am offended that I'm accused of that. It was sparked by a comment made about what Golddust had said. It felt it was very snarky and set the tone of what my rant was about-that there was such a bent toward luxury and what most of the posters would consider out of their comfort zone on this forum lately.

I've had plenty of PMs from others who feel this way-and it's not envy. There is no class war-it just feels that the methods most folks used to get help with their projects that were on a limited budget-have been nudged out. To use an analogy-it's been more Architectural Digest than Better Homes and Gardens.

I enjoy both-trust me, I'm not holier than thou-but I also realize that the tone of this forum has changed recently. I'm fully aware it's the nature of the beast-things change.

I just don't enjoy hanging out here much any more. That's all. I lamented the folks I've missed and those still posting are enjoyable-I've got no beef with anyone. I was not attacking any one person-that is not how I am. I'm just ready to move on. So to quote an overused phrase-Keep Calm and Carry On.

o

Since this topic will reach its limit shortly, I need to speak up because I think most of you are misunderstanding what Pesky and Goldie are saying.

There is no class war-it just feels that the methods most folks used to get help with their projects that were on a limited budget-have been nudged out. To use an analogy-it's been more Architectural Digest than Better Homes and Gardens.

It's not about purses, it's just that every other thread is about exhorbitant prices paid on just about everything. While I'm on prices of things, is there really a reason to mention how much something cost? I was taught as a child you do not tell people what you paid for something unless they ask, because it's pretentious to do otherwise.

A certain eliteness has taken over both boards to the detriment of "regular" posters who don't feel at home anymore. Myself included. I can guarantee you the three of us who have spoken out aren't the only ones who feel this way. Just look at the list of missing posters (and more followed that aren't mentioned.)

There's no middle ground anymore, and I find that sad.

I miss the small talk.

o

I think, for many of us, this is small talk, too. Sometimes price is relevant, of course. I didn't start out talking about the cost, and i can hardly see my 10yr old bag as ostentatious. A poster mentioned that the old bag was frumpy, not classy, though probably expensive. In response I disclosed cost.

To my mind, eliteness would be looking down one's nose at moderately priced items. I really have not seen that done. Generally, deciding between things does involve comparing costs. That is why people do often mention it. IRL, it would be more hush hush. Here, it is information, not a judgment.

I don't see what is stopping you from engaging in the small talk you miss. I don't think anyone has ever interfered with it in anyway. In fact, most of us pleasantly participate.

o

Day off here and I'm spending too much time surfing the net instead of cleaning. But this thread is interesting. I've lurked for over a year as I followed my SIL on the kitchen forum trying to discern the perfect layout. We are starting to build a multi generation home, so I decided to create an account and become part of the community. I hope being a participant will cause more people to contribute to my threads as they recognize my name.

I greatly appreciate people divulging costs. It helps develop a budget. I can rule things in or out of my own project based on the price. It helps me determine where to budget. It is helpful to understand if I'm looking at a $50,00+ living room or an 8,000 living room. Ive learned that some things can easily be done in knock off form. Other things are harder to do on a budget, but not impossible. Or if someone is mulling between couch a or b price can be a relevant factor when discussing value. If the $$ saved will be applied elsewhere in the room. IRL I would never ask someone if this sofa for $1500 looks as good as this 3500 sofa or if I should totally splurge and buy an 8000 sofa to achieve the look I want. But on an anonymous forum I hope I would get uncensored responses that would point out the shortcomings and attributes of all 3 choices. It would be uncouth IRL, however on here I would hope others more experienced may be able to tell me not only why they would choose option a b or c but what they would do with the discretionary budget. I believe if I tell people, I have xxx to spend on the living room and these are my choices and the prices of various options, I expect more meaningful applicable advice.

I echo mt.'s feeling. What is stopping those who feel alienated from continuing their threads and comments as always? The GTKY threads and everything else needn't change. Why can't you continue to do what you have always done but allow others to do what they do?

This post was edited by NashvilleBuild42 on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 13:58

o

I haven't weighed in on the handbag debate, but got lots of useful information (including price points) when reading this thread. I really appreciate it.

And I enjoy all the different perspectives--from those among us who obviously can afford a stable of delectable handbags, to those (like me) who prefer to buy one or two on discount and wear them out--it's a real community when all the different voices participate.

I think we are fortunate to have this place where so many different perspectives are expressed. I don't feel threatened or irritated by anyone who spends the bomb, any more than I dismiss someone who counts her pennies. It's the variety that I enjoy. And just because posters have not weighed in on this more contentious extension of the discussion does not imply agreement with a particular position--I think it's a mistake to assume that.

o

well here's the thing....i don't know why discussing handbag choices ends up a 'debate'...i enjoyed the suggestions, most of which i considered too expensive for my frugal brain to feel comfortable with, but that doesn't stop me from looking and admiring the styles and workmanship...i think the undercurrent here is about judging, as in someone feeling 'judged' either because they can afford expensive (extravagant?) hand bags and others cannot (or will not?) be in either 'camp' ...obviously i have never met irl anyone here, but i honestly cannot imagine anyone being judged by their handbag choices, whether it be on the high end or the low end....sometimes people are just looking for validation or other suggestions of a choice one is considering from people whose opinions you respect....the CL finds (which i LOVE and cannot ever seem to find such gems in my area!) certainly fall into that category...people looking for affirmation (or not) as to the

if someone were to ask me my opinion on a certain purchase, i think my first question would be 'what's your budget for this?' obviously knowing the budget would affect any suggestions...this is why i appreciate the price points...makes it easy to include or exclude items....it also gives you the ability to achieve a certain style or look (assuming this important to you) with a budget in mind....i love articles like 'steal this look' or 'high low' projects etc....

btw, the worst bag in my limited 'repertoire' is a prada! very pretty, but practically speaking, darn near unusable... one of my best is a black leather tote i got from ebags for travel, it holds my mac air and other 'regular' purse items and looks great as a casual everyday bag as well...i have a small chanel bag that was a gift...i carried a black shaped furla bag for about 10 years, like mtn....it is still in excellent condition..i just got a bit tired of it...i'm sure i'll have it forever..lol...anyway...i appreciate everyone's contribution here on handbags, and other 'food for thought'

Here is a link that might be useful: handpainted birken bag how embarrassing..lol!

o

I have always observed waves of change in this forum , just as with real life, nothing stays the same forever. Pesky and goldust and u too oakley, i've noticed you are always well received when you post.

What i've sometimes perceived in this forum is reverse snobbism, it's not well received to appear to be well off, play it down so you can be part of the gang. That's not cool in my book.

o

I'm glad it's not me this time, lol. I had a Red Menace moment around Christmas when I was appalled at the west jet advertisement of Christmas gifts for the passengers on one of their December flights.

Frankly, I also love that this is the one ANONYMOUS place we CAN share the cost of things. I certainly wouldn't discuss the price of home decor with anyone at my office, or many of my friends, either. But here, where we don't know each other IRL, I find it very helpful to know how much light fixtures, fabrics, and furniture cost. It helps to know, as one poster above pointed out, whether you're looking at a $50,000 room or an $8,000 one. It's information, period. I find that my opinions, tastes and choices improve with information, so I don't really see anything wrong with it.

o

There are always going to be those more fortunate in many ways~children/grandchildren, profession, intelligence, beauty, and yes, the worst beast of all, the 'almighty dollar.' Whether it's purses, houses, vacations, decorating, clothing, shoes, or beauty treatments, and both spouses or one spouse has been blessed with being successful and comfortable in life, some of that 'success' needs to be given back.

One of our forum member's(you know who you are ;) has been very fortunate to have the opportunity to visit a third world country, but in reading her posts, it wasn't as much about the trip as it was about bringing gifts for the children. It's very obvious she is giving back and sharing her blessings. 'Rules of the universe' dictate much of my life also, and it makes my heart sing when I know I can change a life, feed an animal, or possibly. *save* both, with just a small part of my blessings. What a wonderful feeling!

With that said, if you aren't 'playing by the rules' you shouldn't be splurging on material possessions, especially when you are aware a contribution to ANY organization can make a difference in our world. If you think an expensive pair of shoes makes you happy, giving reallllllllly makes you happy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here