Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Handbag Rut? Help.

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

If memory serves, I have been using the same purse for over 10 years. (switching out sometime in the summer, or for evening)

Here it is:

I think it is time for something new. Let me tell you what I love about my bag, and maybe you can suggest a replacement...

1. I like backpacks because they leave my hands free for shopping, luggage, a briefcase, or a walk/stroll somewhere.
2. I love this backpack because it weighs NOTHING empty and is indestructible
3. I love this backpack because I wear it with a suit to the office, or with jeans. I wear it all seasons.
4. I love this backpack because it has pockets I can access easily where I keep my phone, etc

Comments (157)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, the Kanken!
    that looks like something my former employer gave all of us to keep in our offices after 9/11. I think it had a flashlight, a blanket, MREs, water, a flare, etc etc

Cyn, seriously, I may send it back now! see how precarious "luxury" branding can be?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

What difference does it make?
    Why is Prada better than something else? I'm serious.

Shouldn't it be about what is well made and stylish? Most designers live lives no better than than the Olson twins. (and still, is that important? I know I can't support Michael Vick no matter how good he is on the field...or how much money he makes...)
    But I'm all for beautifully made bags.

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

I agree with you Bumblebeez. I would only care if it were a beautifully made handbag. I have to admit to not knowing anything about the Olsen twins other than they were in a 70's or 80's series with John Stamos.

There are so many beautiful handbags posted here. I am very partial to Bottega Veneta. I wonder if they are now considered grandma's luxury items? It's ok...cuz I'm old enough to be a granny :-).

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Daisychain - we have one of those minis - my daughter used it when she was smaller. My mom brought it for her. A nod to my childhood when they were the "in thing" when I was growing up.

I do remember it wearing like it would never die - as by then I was old enough they were no longer popular with that age group and I didn't want it anymore.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bumble, Marlene, I am only joking. I do not know anything about the Olsen twins, i had heard of them and knew they were TV stars but that's about it.

But I am also serious in that, for luxury brands, popularity is not quite rational and thus very precarious. I am not sure I would call this bag a designer bag, but at $600 it is certainly higher end.

What makes someone pay (overpay!) for luxury is image. Associating my bag with TV stars, in my view, diminishes it. One somehow hopes its design came out of a smoke filled Parisian garret where counter-culture studio art majors dreamt it up.

As for your broader question, eg your Prada question. For me, i was attracted to them because peers had them, and continue to use them for the functional reasons outlined. They are a status symbol only in narrow circles, not really much of a symbol at all.

By contrast, some of the other brands discussed, Chanel, LV are still status symbols IMHO. In some business circles, they are power symbols. Less so now that they are copied, and replaced by the Birkin bag. Power symbols have their place, like clothing, they are semaphore.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

lyfia, too funny - they seem to be the in thing again. My exceedingly hip teenager just ordered one. I wish f-raven would make a duffle, as I still haven't found one I like yet.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I guess it would make sense being an in-thing again as it was in the early to mid eighties and it appears a lot of the fashion is of that time period too now.

Although I don't think those were available on the North American continent then - actually didn't realize they were now either.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Bumble - I own a row bag. Its nicely made. My straps are comfortable not too dainty. I am a child of the 80s & 90s perhaps it is fitting I have an Olsen bag? I bought it though because the branding isn't obnoxious and the straps were comfortable. I hated so many other options because of the branding. Less expensive brands had wonky stitching or were too sporty or similar to older purses I had. I grew up attending private schools where the only individualization I had was through purses, shoes ( only dress shoes no heels or sneakers) and hair accessories. I also grew up in horse country. Purses just like shoes were the clear delineation of old vs new money. It's a game I didn't play but many girl I knew and women I know today still play the power game based on wearing certain shoes or watches or purses. To them an Olsen bag would not carry the same cache as other brands.

On the other and I would mix a designer purse with a swatch or a timex. I don't care about the social cache of my purses. I just want purses that will last and aren't too flashy. For example, I Have kept many of my bags over the years and still use a coach bag from 4th grade! Timeless style , subtle branding. On the other hand I didn't keep one liz Claiborne or guess purse as they had crazy branding logos .

In the same vein I do not own any LV. I find LV obnoxious. It's loud and showy. I've always associated LV with men who drive corvettes. There are much better luxury brands with better performance out there but its a cheap entry into the "status" symbol market. To me corvettes arent luxury snd neither is one LV bag. The multi piece LV luggage set is still a status symbol, but not worth the money. I think LV knows their customer quite well and this is why The logo is so noticeable. I also think the prevalence of LV in the hip hop culture coupled with the proliferation of fakes is diminishing it's status symbol appeal.

On the other hand I bought my prada bag because it's well made and very subtly branded. It goes with anything and is quite versatile.

I also was gifted a birkin, but I'll never carry it. To me it's obscene. I would have returned it, but that would have crushed my grandmum. I even stage the stupid thing in our entryway whenever she visits. So she thinks it gets a real workout, when it has never even left the confines of our house! I feel ridiculous admitting that but it's true.

Are any of my "luxury" bags better than the other? I think so yes. But not because of who makes them but how they are constructed and fit within my lifestyle.

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 15:27

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Now this is *my* idea of a backpack! Although not called a backpack per'se, the 'bucket bag' is large enough to hold probably as much as a large backpack. Not a Chanel(or even close), but it's that chain strap, get's me every time.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Backpack'

• quilly
    10 years ago

Oh that takes me back to my grad school days when I carried a mahogany Coach bucket bag. It held so much - I used to call it my feed sack.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'classic' Coach bucket

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That reminds me, I have Burberry bucket bag somewhere, but I don't know where it is. I think I have a box o' bags somewhere from moving, still.

Anyway, the Moschino is very nice, except for the name. Too Kardashiany to me. However, you got me looking at Net-a-porter and I really liked the one below. But they are out of stock so I got it at NM. I must have seen it at NM before and rejected it for no outside pocket? I am lowering my standards ...

Here it is. My handbag rut is now officially a glut.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Ooooh, very nice! I think it's the little bit of bling that makes the decision for me. I could see it dressy or w/jeans.

Yeah, a little like one of the 'K's' might carry, but again, I don't care for plain and boring, which your new one isn't, but the old one, too 'schoolgirl-ish'.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

::: cocking head :::

What happened to Golddust's post, and the responses from Sue B et al?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And now, I post, but the thread does not move.

Huh?

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

I also was wondering where Golddust's post went, Mtn. I am sorry you didn't have an opportunity to respond to it.

I remember her posting that we should just google the most expensive purse and buy it while there are people going hungry and living in tents (paraphrasing).

All I can do is roll my eyes at this point. (and admire my new Burberry tote).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, that was it. Wasn't the loveliest of messages, but not sure why it needed to be pulled?

Bizarre.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

and all I said was now I want a pink leather backpack Sue, and mine got pulled too. Very odd indeed.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Mtnrdredux did respond. For some reason I opened this thread today (and it's several days old). Please give Goldie a little slack. For those of us who have posted with her for some time - that is unlike her. I hope everything is okay with her.

These type responses are often pulled and those who responded probably got a "friendly reminder".

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have never seen anything like that pulled. I mean it was just a bit snarky, it wasn't offensive or inappropriate.

I don't think anyone at GW sits around reading this drivel, so a poster had to have asked for it to be pulled.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Maybe she did. Like I said, it was a bit out of character for Goldie and maybe she had second thoughts.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Indeed it was not like her at all, she posted at midnight.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

eh, no harm done. We all get at least one do-over.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

GW pulled it-they told her it was rude.

Sorry to have to say this, but this thread, and frankly, a lot of them lately, have been very much related to first world problems.

Having been here at GW for over a decade, I've never seen the topics so dedicated to super luxe (to most of the population) issues as they've been the past year. This forum used to be about exactly what the heading at the top of the page said-how to mix the antique commode
    with your thrift store finds. Not that it's always been about cheap decor-the convo side used to be a place where it felt that you could curl up with your cup of tea and commiserate with girlfriends. Show pics of the kids & grandkids, share recipes, tell jokes and do the GTKY that always popped up here and there.

The topic of trying to remember old members-many were around for years, came every day-and it was a good place to be. But it slowly started in on the discussions side-went from talking about shopping for window treatments at JCP and DIY decor to $1000 sheet sets and light fixtures that could buy a good used car

It's not income envy, by any means-most of the former posters (maybe they still lurk?) could do the same, if they wanted to, but I'd suggest that most don't. At least it never was the key topics of discussion.

Frankly, I'm with Gold, it just seems too ostentatious to constantly be throwing out the jet set lifestyle when a lot of the (former) posters themselves fell on very hard times. There were plenty of gals who's husbands were forced out of jobs during the recession and who were scraping by-and there have been times when collections were taken up for other GWers who'd fallen on hard times.

The feeling of having the GW family is gone and now its just about how impressive it is to buy a handbag that can feed a family for nearly a year. I've just finished some work with environmental justice and seen poverty that you cannot imagine. It breaks my heart. This is real stuff going on in our country-and to see every other post be about expensive trips and luxury goods and designer this-it's just gotten tiring.

I'm sorry, this is not directed at any one person-do not take it personally-I'm generalizing here, and trying (and failing) to express frustration and nostalgia. I know that Golddust and others are missing the vibe that used to be here. Gold was frustrated. She's long been an advocate for the downtrodden, and uses her good fortune in life to care for others.

So with that-I'm also done here. It's been a long run. I've made lifelong friends and have shared heartbreak and joy with my friends here. I've been showered with love from strangers and received incredibly wise advice. Now I'm just gonna quietly go to play with others that I have more in common with.

Ciao.

• mdln
    10 years ago

@pesky1 - PLEASE don't leave. I confess the bags I posted costing $1200-1900 were posted (at least on my part) - as a joke. I would never spend that amount of money on a bag.

In my work, I see some people more concerned about carrying status bags and driving a new high-end vehicle, than getting their prescriptions filled. Life is all about individual priorities.

A favorite quote: "The most important things in life, are not things."

• marlene_2007
    10 years ago

Pesky, just because someone might spend a lot on a purse does not mean that person doesn't spend ten times as much helping the less fortunate.

Just because a person doesn't talk about the charitable things she does doesn't mean that she doesn't volunteer for a myriad of organizations that help abused and neglected children and senior citizens.

Golddust is not the only person who uses her good fortune to help others.

I could go on but alas...it's just not that important.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I have never seen GW pull a "rude" post sua sponte. It has to be reported by someone. But, anyway...

Clearly, decor is a first world problem, by definition. So your starting comment strikes me as nonsensical. If you want to dwell exclusively on weightier matters, I truly applaud you, but I am not sure how GW was ever a fit, if that is truly your gripe.

I have never been nasty or snide or put down anyone on this board, and certainly never would do so simply because a poster, for example, may only able to afford something less than average. So I am not sure why it is okay to villify those who can afford more than average. It is equally rude in my book.

I find this to be wonderful community, and I have found people that I, TOO, have a lot in common with. Look at how many people actually bought a purse as we wound through this thread (which, I will note, others kept alive). Look at how many people had gone on similar trips, or had the same trips on their bucket list. Or how many good recipes or jokes have been shared. Not to mention the tireless, thoughtful and generous advice on decor and just about everything else. We are in agreement, GW is a wonderful community.

I don't begrudge you your community. Why begrudge those of us who have interests in different things, for whatever reasons? It would seem to me to be very easy to ignore threads that don't interest you, and they will die a natural death. I don't think you should give up the enjoyment you have taken from GW just because of a few posters you disdain. That would be a terrible shame.

• roarah
    10 years ago

Mtn does not need defending. Just from her posts on this forum, I know her to be generous, caring, helpful and lastly, yes, fortunate. It is relevant to note that she mentioned she has used her prada bag almost exclusively for 10 years. That is less than a 100 bucks per year bag budget. And no matter if she spent 100k per year on bags it is no one' s business to judge.

This post was edited by roarah on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 23:33

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

ah Pesky, you will be missed, but I can't judge your reasons, they belong to you alone.

I still think this forum has room for everyone, and the diversity is what I always liked, the freedom to converse about various topics without having to censor ourselves in case we'd offend someone with the price of what is being discussed.
    Iif no one speaks up,we have the illusion of not being judged, but we are really.

I dislike the feeling of being told what to do thoughâ¦.

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

The notion that someone has to lead an ascetic lifestyle in order to care about those in need is offensive. I only tell people of my work with charities if I am trying to fund raise or draw attention to that cause. (Otherwise it comes across as pompous self aggrandizement like look how good I am! Woohoo I'm a great person!). Carrying a luxury handbag and bettering the world are not mutually exclusive.

I can't afford to routinely stay in luxury resorts, but we do travel and I have found ideas for day excursions or once in a lifetime trips from those posters who can. As for the decor threads of the jet set, I love them! It provides great inspiration to my "get the look for less folders." I, in turn, realize my home projects (when finished and revealed) may one day inspire another poster's get the look for less project.

Why leave, pesky? Just ignore the threads of people you, gold and others find lacking. I like the diversity on this forum. I hope it continues.

• quilly
    10 years ago

There are many posts in this thread and perhaps I missed it some where along the line but I remember mtn saying her Prada backpacks were knock offs - so I don't understand the issue.

However it serves to remind us that what we post and read here is a severely limited view and it would be better if we didn't give it so much consideration. I enjoy the fact that it's a varied forum.

This post was edited by quilly on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 9:04

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Seriously?! We get to open the threads we want, contribute where we have something to add and then go about our lives. We have shared snippets of our lives, our families, our triumphs and our struggles. I love this community-- and while I dont read or contribute to all threads, what I love IS the diversity in topics, perspectives and lifestyles. Am I in the market for a 2k bag? no-- but who cares! i was considering a $500 bag and the experiences here swayed me to save the splurge. I appreciate that-- $500 is a lot for me to spend to be disappointed. That made the whole thread valuable to me.

Considering that the posters who lashed out have posted many threads about their families and loved ones-- joyous events and heartbreaking events-- and received nothing but overflowing support from this community. I find this response to be especially unfair and uncalled for.

I hope you each find a community of like-minded people where you will be more comfortable. Me? I welcome the variety and celebrate the light-hearted and respectful discussions.

• Joe
    10 years ago

Censorship:
    IMO, it is disconcerting when posts or entire threads are removed.

This GW practice removes all opportunity for self awareness on the part of participants. In the virtual world, the only feedback is the written word as opposed to visual cues and tone of voice. By removing the posts or thread, we are not reminded that words and language matter.

On other forums, when a topic is deemed contentious (?), the moderator simply closes the thread to new posts. Oftentimes, this is done with a, "That's All Folks" signature.

Seems like a more adult approach.
    ~bgj

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Pesky, I would be sorry to see your and/or Goldie leave this forum. I can understand your thoughts on this matter, as I understand the "other side" of thinking on this same subject. So maybe you could just agree to disagree on this and not leave us.
    You would be missed!

tina

• golddust
    10 years ago

I am generally a happy person, usually tolerant and it's my fault for reading through this thread. I did not ask for my post to be removed and I dislike the censorship on this forum even more than (perceived) glutinous purchases. I received a 'friendly reminder' in my email box.

(What Pesky said)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Normally, I say my piece and move on-and I am moving on as I noted, but I just wanted to clarify a few things.

First, I apologize to Golddust for appearing to speak for her. My intention was to note that she received notice from GW that THEY pulled her comment.

Secondly, this rant had nothing-zero-nada to do with handbags. I myself own some luxury handbags. I enjoy the finer things in life myself. I also had ZERO intent to imply that anyone here was not charitable. I said nothing of the kind and I am offended that I'm accused of that. It was sparked by a comment made about what Golddust had said. It felt it was very snarky and set the tone of what my rant was about-that there was such a bent toward luxury and what most of the posters would consider out of their comfort zone on this forum lately.

I've had plenty of PMs from others who feel this way-and it's not envy. There is no class war-it just feels that the methods most folks used to get help with their projects that were on a limited budget-have been nudged out. To use an analogy-it's been more Architectural Digest than Better Homes and Gardens.

I enjoy both-trust me, I'm not holier than thou-but I also realize that the tone of this forum has changed recently. I'm fully aware it's the nature of the beast-things change.

I just don't enjoy hanging out here much any more. That's all. I lamented the folks I've missed and those still posting are enjoyable-I've got no beef with anyone. I was not attacking any one person-that is not how I am. I'm just ready to move on. So to quote an overused phrase-Keep Calm and Carry On.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Since this topic will reach its limit shortly, I need to speak up because I think most of you are misunderstanding what Pesky and Goldie are saying.

There is no class war-it just feels that the methods most folks used to get help with their projects that were on a limited budget-have been nudged out. To use an analogy-it's been more Architectural Digest than Better Homes and Gardens.

It's not about purses, it's just that every other thread is about exhorbitant prices paid on just about everything. While I'm on prices of things, is there really a reason to mention how much something cost? I was taught as a child you do not tell people what you paid for something unless they ask, because it's pretentious to do otherwise.

A certain eliteness has taken over both boards to the detriment of "regular" posters who don't feel at home anymore. Myself included. I can guarantee you the three of us who have spoken out aren't the only ones who feel this way. Just look at the list of missing posters (and more followed that aren't mentioned.)

There's no middle ground anymore, and I find that sad.

I miss the small talk.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think, for many of us, this is small talk, too. Sometimes price is relevant, of course. I didn't start out talking about the cost, and i can hardly see my 10yr old bag as ostentatious. A poster mentioned that the old bag was frumpy, not classy, though probably expensive. In response I disclosed cost.

To my mind, eliteness would be looking down one's nose at moderately priced items. I really have not seen that done. Generally, deciding between things does involve comparing costs. That is why people do often mention it. IRL, it would be more hush hush. Here, it is information, not a judgment.

I don't see what is stopping you from engaging in the small talk you miss. I don't think anyone has ever interfered with it in anyway. In fact, most of us pleasantly participate.

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Day off here and I'm spending too much time surfing the net instead of cleaning. But this thread is interesting. I've lurked for over a year as I followed my SIL on the kitchen forum trying to discern the perfect layout. We are starting to build a multi generation home, so I decided to create an account and become part of the community. I hope being a participant will cause more people to contribute to my threads as they recognize my name.

I greatly appreciate people divulging costs. It helps develop a budget. I can rule things in or out of my own project based on the price. It helps me determine where to budget. It is helpful to understand if I'm looking at a $50,00+ living room or an 8,000 living room. Ive learned that some things can easily be done in knock off form. Other things are harder to do on a budget, but not impossible. Or if someone is mulling between couch a or b price can be a relevant factor when discussing value. If the $$ saved will be applied elsewhere in the room. IRL I would never ask someone if this sofa for $1500 looks as good as this 3500 sofa or if I should totally splurge and buy an 8000 sofa to achieve the look I want. But on an anonymous forum I hope I would get uncensored responses that would point out the shortcomings and attributes of all 3 choices. It would be uncouth IRL, however on here I would hope others more experienced may be able to tell me not only why they would choose option a b or c but what they would do with the discretionary budget. I believe if I tell people, I have xxx to spend on the living room and these are my choices and the prices of various options, I expect more meaningful applicable advice.

I echo mt.'s feeling. What is stopping those who feel alienated from continuing their threads and comments as always? The GTKY threads and everything else needn't change. Why can't you continue to do what you have always done but allow others to do what they do?

This post was edited by NashvilleBuild42 on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 13:58

• kkay_md
    10 years ago

I haven't weighed in on the handbag debate, but got lots of useful information (including price points) when reading this thread. I really appreciate it.

And I enjoy all the different perspectives--from those among us who obviously can afford a stable of delectable handbags, to those (like me) who prefer to buy one or two on discount and wear them out--it's a real community when all the different voices participate.

I think we are fortunate to have this place where so many different perspectives are expressed. I don't feel threatened or irritated by anyone who spends the bomb, any more than I dismiss someone who counts her pennies. It's the variety that I enjoy. And just because posters have not weighed in on this more contentious extension of the discussion does not imply agreement with a particular position--I think it's a mistake to assume that.

• mdrive
    10 years ago

well here's the thing....i don't know why discussing handbag choices ends up a 'debate'...i enjoyed the suggestions, most of which i considered too expensive for my frugal brain to feel comfortable with, but that doesn't stop me from looking and admiring the styles and workmanship...i think the undercurrent here is about judging, as in someone feeling 'judged' either because they can afford expensive (extravagant?) hand bags and others cannot (or will not?) be in either 'camp' ...obviously i have never met irl anyone here, but i honestly cannot imagine anyone being judged by their handbag choices, whether it be on the high end or the low end....sometimes people are just looking for validation or other suggestions of a choice one is considering from people whose opinions you respect....the CL finds (which i LOVE and cannot ever seem to find such gems in my area!) certainly fall into that category...people looking for affirmation (or not) as to the

if someone were to ask me my opinion on a certain purchase, i think my first question would be 'what's your budget for this?' obviously knowing the budget would affect any suggestions...this is why i appreciate the price points...makes it easy to include or exclude items....it also gives you the ability to achieve a certain style or look (assuming this important to you) with a budget in mind....i love articles like 'steal this look' or 'high low' projects etc....

btw, the worst bag in my limited 'repertoire' is a prada! very pretty, but practically speaking, darn near unusable... one of my best is a black leather tote i got from ebags for travel, it holds my mac air and other 'regular' purse items and looks great as a casual everyday bag as well...i have a small chanel bag that was a gift...i carried a black shaped furla bag for about 10 years, like mtn....it is still in excellent condition..i just got a bit tired of it...i'm sure i'll have it forever..lol...anyway...i appreciate everyone's contribution here on handbags, and other 'food for thought'

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1498254}}

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I have always observed waves of change in this forum , just as with real life, nothing stays the same forever. Pesky and goldust and u too oakley, i've noticed you are always well received when you post.

What i've sometimes perceived in this forum is reverse snobbism, it's not well received to appear to be well off, play it down so you can be part of the gang. That's not cool in my book.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm glad it's not me this time, lol. I had a Red Menace moment around Christmas when I was appalled at the west jet advertisement of Christmas gifts for the passengers on one of their December flights.

Frankly, I also love that this is the one ANONYMOUS place we CAN share the cost of things. I certainly wouldn't discuss the price of home decor with anyone at my office, or many of my friends, either. But here, where we don't know each other IRL, I find it very helpful to know how much light fixtures, fabrics, and furniture cost. It helps to know, as one poster above pointed out, whether you're looking at a $50,000 room or an $8,000 one. It's information, period. I find that my opinions, tastes and choices improve with information, so I don't really see anything wrong with it.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

There are always going to be those more fortunate in many ways~children/grandchildren, profession, intelligence, beauty, and yes, the worst beast of all, the 'almighty dollar.' Whether it's purses, houses, vacations, decorating, clothing, shoes, or beauty treatments, and both spouses or one spouse has been blessed with being successful and comfortable in life, some of that 'success' needs to be given back.

One of our forum member's(you know who you are ;) has been very fortunate to have the opportunity to visit a third world country, but in reading her posts, it wasn't as much about the trip as it was about bringing gifts for the children. It's very obvious she is giving back and sharing her blessings. 'Rules of the universe' dictate much of my life also, and it makes my heart sing when I know I can change a life, feed an animal, or possibly. *save* both, with just a small part of my blessings. What a wonderful feeling!

With that said, if you aren't 'playing by the rules' you shouldn't be splurging on material possessions, especially when you are aware a contribution to ANY organization can make a difference in our world. If you think an expensive pair of shoes makes you happy, giving reallllllllly makes you happy!

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Well, it's been a year so isn't it time for a new bag? Just found this one while browsing for something else and it reminded me of this thread. I'm not a fan of backpack purses, but the versatility of this one might change my mind.

http://www.stories.com/gb/Bags/All_bags/Clare_Vivier_Leather_Backpack/590765-8406039.1

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Oh dang! I forgot old conversation threads will pop up here instead of in conversations. Sorry!

• Patty C
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I also enjoyed reading the thread and didn't realize it was old until you said so. It got me looking, and I think I will order this navy spotted backpack for the summer. The pockets are on the inside though, so maybe not as handy as when the pockets are on the outside. It's a great price too; I've ordered more than one bag/tote from Boden, and the quality is generally very good.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    9 years ago

I have this bag from Magellan's, in plum, which I bought in Santa Monica. I like that it has a built-in flashlight, which I have at times used in dimly lit restaurants. It has safety features also, including stainless steel cable-reinforced straps and locking zippers, which I thought might be useful during my trip to Costa Rica last month, but I think it will be more helpful when I go to Italy next year, as I think snatchers are more common there.

I do have shoes and an umbrella that match this bag, but that was coincidental. My brother recently bought a bag for carrying his tablet, and it works like a purse to an extent. He was really happy he had it when we were in CR.

Lars

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

I think there was a beach bag thread recently, does that count?

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

I love the Kavu sling bags @ $50 it's lasted me 4yrs. My 9yr old also owns one:)