Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliekcmo

sunless tanners

juliekcmo
10 years ago

Hi everyone.

We are going to Florida in a couple of weeks, and I think I need to "take the edge off" the winter skin tone.

I haven't used a sunless tanner in a couple of years, so what ones do you like? And any tips?

Thanks in advance.
Julie

Comments (6)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I've only used one on my face. I like Clarins, in a jar.
    Tips - blend into your jaw, use more on the parts of your face that tend to burn first in the sun, and wash your hands well.

A different kind of tip - I always used to use a towelette of self tanner before the start of an overnight flight. When I woke up at my destination, I didn't look like id been flying all night!

• juliekcmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Towelettes ? What are those, pray tell?

• User
    10 years ago

The brand Fake Bake. I used to use the original lotion but discovered their Flawless spray and now prefer that. They both come with gloves and the Flawless comes with a mitt. It's recommended to keep this one in the refrigerator for longer shelf life. (Not sure about the Original.)

I use both of these products on my face also with no problems.

You'll want to apply it at night after showering/exfoliating. Wash it off in the morning. I don't notice much product coming off on my pillows and sheets, but anything that ever has comes clean in the wash. You can build the color up if you use it a few nights in a row. The color doesn't wear off streaky and weird either.

When doing your face just make sure to blend well into your hair line the whole way around and don't forget your ears.

For the wrists, knees, hands etc. I like to apply mineral oil (or lotion) to those areas and that helps with application. I do this before I put the gloves on and when I'm done with everything else, I spray (using Flawless but you could do the same thing with the lotion) some on the mitt and tap around the top of my hand and blend in and down the fingers and up the wrist. It's pretty easy to do.

I personally never apply sunless tanner to the under sides of my arms since that area doesn't get tan if I'm out in the sun. I think it looks more natural. If you do that, just make sure you blend out the edges along the top of your arms.

If my legs won't be showing a lot of time I'll cheat and only use the tanner from the chest up.

They both have fragrance. The original lotion had a sunless tanner smell. I haven't used that one in a few years to know if that changed. The Flawless spray has a beachy coconut smell. I dislike a lot of scents, but find it pleasant.

The Flawless was a little cheaper and I had other people tell me they liked it better than the Original lotion.

For Flawless, wash the mitt after each use.

Have fun in Florida!

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

I usually use Jergens "Glow" in the light color way. I am pretty pale. Exfoliating is key. This product doesn't make you a bronze goddess, it just takes the edge off the shiny white skin!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Towelettes are like those little packets you get with lobster, only instead of smelling like Mr Clean, they are impregnated with sunless tanning lotion. If you take them travelling, they don't count toward your liquid limit, plus they are handy!

Whatever you do, don't overdo it. Your goal should be to "not look awful" rather than to look like you have a tan. The problem w self tanners IMHO is they are too even and they don't dry your skin the way the sun does. That makes it telltale to me.

I did once get it done at a salon, where they spray your body all over like Earl Schieb. It was so odd! It's a lot easier than doing it yourself though.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 8:43

• juliekcmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of the info. I picked up some today and will proceed with caution!

Ooompa Looompa Diddley Deeâ¦...