Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

Healthy Check-in February 2014

hhireno
10 years ago

I started the healthy month thread with an explanation about why I haven't had my bloodwork yet and the computer crashed and I lost it. :-(

I'll skip the long explanation and just say I'll be doing the bloodwork later this month when I have a drug screening urinalysis for a volunteer job I'm pursuing.

Here's my update:
I've been doing High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) with the rowing machine. I alternate 20 seconds moderate effort with 10 seconds full out for 10 minutes. Oddly, even though I'm watching the clock the time goes faster than when I alternated 2 minutes moderate and 1 minute hard. It's not easy to maintain full effort for a full minute (so I know I would slack off) but for 10 seconds it's doable. I'm not sure how I will monitor my improvement. I guess I'll measure myself (waist, hips, etc) and look for a change in those numbers.

The increase in hours of sunlight certainly improves my mental health. A few days of 40 degree temperatures meant I was able to walk outside. Unfortunately, they're calling for another snow storm tomorrow. I'm tired of getting my workouts from shoveling. Enough already, it's bumming me out.

Anyone have any specific goals for this month?

Comments (18)

• tinam61
    10 years ago

We've been indulging in too many breads, sweets, white stuff here the past few weeks. Actually did great over the holidays, but I think it is the cold that has had us back to bad habits. I feel so much better when I eat less of the unhealthy carbs. So that's my goal, to get back to our better eating habits.

tina

• tinam61
    10 years ago

We've been indulging in too many breads, sweets, white stuff here the past few weeks. Actually did great over the holidays, but I think it is the cold that has had us back to bad habits. I feel so much better when I eat less of the unhealthy carbs. So that's my goal, to get back to our better eating habits.

tina

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Happy February!
    I'm with Tina. Somehow I managed to get through the holidays unscathed, but January was rough. Luckily there wasn't much damage done on the scale.

I'm still finding it hard to exercise. My fitbit was out of commission for a bit, but is charging as I type. My Fitness Pal is ready to go.

I saw my doc for a physical last week and he was pretty happy with the 15 pounds I have lost this year. We set the goal for 10 more in the next six months. I'm feeling hopeful!

Beth P.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I will be starting a "cleanse" class next week. It works you into an elimination diet for awhile and then gradually add stuff back so you can learn what does and doesn't work for you. It's supposed to focus on lifestyle changes too, so it will be interesting. My GFs have done something similar, but this will be a first for me. I'm looking forward to it as I think it will help kick start healthier eating and a return to more veggies in my diet which I've been slacking off on. I'll let you know how it goes.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tina,
    I'm sure the colder and, for many of us, snowier January has been a strain on our diet habits. As a child, I was programmed to associate snow days with baking treats like cookies and cake. As an adult, I can resist the treats but it's harder to resist some nice, warm bread with dinner or a slightly larger helping of pasta. Add being trapped in the house and unable to get those little bits so extra movement (who can park far from the door when it single digits?), and a few pounds creep on. If being aware of needing a change is half the battle, you're half way to your goal of improvement.

Beth,
    Yay! 15 pounds! Good for you. When you're working your Med Rec job, be sure to set the alarm on your fitbit to remind you to get up and move every hour. Or configure your work station so you can stand more, that will burn more calories and help you reach your goal. I've been dreaming about waffles since the discussion in that other thread and the pic of the line at your ski business. I've decided to hold out until I can visit your waffle hut. Since I have no intention of visiting a ski resort, let alone one in New Hampshire(?), that will prevent me from wasting calories on inferior products. Only Beth's fancy waffles will do.

Annie,
    I will be interested to hear about your process. I hope you achieve your goals.

It's snowing yet again. No gym this morning but shoveling or snow blowing is in my near future. It's better than no exercise but it is NOT what I want to do.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I'm in the January "diet fail" club as well. I have been trying to get back on track but travel, DD's birthday, cold days, and sheer laziness have gotten the best of me. I am newly motivated now because in 2 weeks we'll be in FL and I won't be able to hide behind my winter coat! And my goal has been to lose 10 lbs by my birthday in Sept., and I've lost about 6. (I was up to 7 or 8 before the January slump hit.) I'd actually like to get to my goal by summertime.

I bought myself a treadmill for Christmas because my local gym closed, and I've been enjoying the convenience of going right downstairs to walk when it's too cold to go outside.

• polly929
    10 years ago

Hi everyone!

Last month I posted about the Dr. Oz weight loss challenge. A group of women in my town did it together after a friend of mine attended the taping of the show in November. This woman was part of the pilot program and had lost 14 lbs. in 2 weeks. She started a private Facebook group and we all did it together, shared recipes and words of encouragement. I only personally knew one other person in the group. Any how, I'm happy to say, I lost 9 lbs. although, I had gained 8 through the holidays. I was happy to get that off. I've been really struggling with my weight the past few years, so easy to put it on and nearly impossible to take off. Since I stopped the plan, I've lost another 3lbs following the general principles, but not being quite as strict.

I miss my workouts though. I had a knee replacement 8 years ago, and it's been very sore lately. I've kept up with yoga once a week but that's about it. My goal for February is to try and get back to swimming,but with 3 snowstorms predicted for this week, it will be hard to get there. As it is I'm missing yoga this morning because my kids are home with schools closed yet again today. In any case, I can't wait for warmer weather/ spring so I can at least get back to walking kids to school. Maybe I'll pick up the shovel later and take the kids out to make a snowman, that might be a good work out and easy on the knee!

• awm03
    10 years ago

Goals are: keep up with the workouts, write down what I eat. Sunday was 40 degrees, so DH & I did some biking, tackling a nearby hill for a workout. He's coming back from a November hip replacement, I'm just trying to recover some lost fitness.

Hang in there, everybody! Slow & steady wins the race.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I'm training, or rather starting to train, for a 10k race on Memorial day. I did a 5k in October but slacked off running when winter hit, but not totally. DD asked me to do the 10k with her, so we're going to be training together at least once a week. I'm excited about that, because I will have a partner to run with in town that will be some extra motivation. We'll also be running with a group (more motivation). I am also concentrating more on diet (fewer carbs) which I slacked on during the holidays and January during all the crappy weather. Also plan to get back to weight training, but I've been lazy about that so far.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

I haven't gotten on the scale the month of January. I lost six pounds right before Thanksgiving, but am sure I gained them back. I only want to lose 6-10 but once I lose that first 5 or so, it always comes creeping back. I did great with exercising leading up until Christmas, then went on vacation the week b/w Christmas and New Years (in the south, where everything was fried this and fried that or just limited healthy options). Did a ton of walking on that trip though but was afraid to get on the scale on return. Then January we've been socked with snow, ice, etc - so no outdoor running for me and all the snow days meant my barre class was canceled frequently. I only made it five times in January, ran maybe 3x outside, and twice at the gym. I usually exercise 5 days a week, so not happy!

Top it off, I'm meeting my college friends in Manhattan this weekend - first time I've seen them in 20 years! Was hoping to lose that 6 lbs at least, but no dice. As someone else said, all these cold weather days have put me in the kitchen baking treats for my kids. And of course, I can't resist cookie dough! So trying to get back on track. Made it to my barre class Friday and today, I have TRX tomorrow, and hopefully will be able to get a few runs in this week also. I really really miss my outdoor runs (of course it was pouring today and now it's snowing, then supposed to rain again Wednesday). Dh is traveling this week which means I can eat salad w/chicken or fish every night and fix the kids things simple meals. When he's around, I tend to make heartier or more complex meals.

Congratulations to those of you who are making progress on your goals and good luck to those of you who are still trying! The effort is most important!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I just got back from my vacation in Costa Rica. I promised myself I would watchmy diet but my will power was thrown out the window!

My weight is back up :( but I am determined to get it back to where it was.

So, for me it's back on track with my exercise and diet.

I am also now on pills for cholesterol and have to go for blood work to see if they are working.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I am getting back on track after being on a terrible sugar binge. I have cut way back, and am already feeling better. I gained back some of the 10 lbs. I had lost, so trying to get that back off. Boy, is it hard after hitting the big 5-0

• legomom23
    10 years ago

I did pretty well with the Whole 30 challenge in January. It was hard for me, but I ate a lot better than I normally do and broke a few bad habits. I lost 8 pounds, but 6 were within the first week.

It wasn't something I could really do long term though so in February I started something called Sugar Blockers. It's low carb/low glycemic but eating in certain order and eating so called sugar blockers before meals on the premise that insulin is what makes you gain weight and if it stays steady you will lose weight.

Basically it meant I could eat cheese and have a glass of wine every now and again. But I feel like I'm gaining back some hard earned weight loss. I'm going to give it a few weeks I guess.

My February goal was to add exercise. I am jumping on my trampoline, started a 30 day ab challenge, and trying to walk my dog more often.

It's progress:)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I finally have something positive to report! DH and I went alcohol-free for January (we did have wine on New Year's day) and we both lost a few lbs. My clothes feel a lot better, and someone even noticed yesterday. I have not gotten on the scale because I really don't want to see the number.

I have been much better with my WW tracking. I am still not 100% convinced WW is what I need, but it's a start. I did not do the Simple Start since too many others I know found it not to be a good fit with a busy schedule.

I am also still getting the complimentary weight training sessions twice per week, so I am going to take that for all its worth.

It was so much of a nicer day yesterday, I even went in the pool before I taught my night class.

I am great with planned exercise, but I still need to move more throughout the day. Still need to work on DH regarding the treadmill desk for our home office.

In sum, positive momentum in the past month. I really needed this.

I'm also making good progress on my resolution to be more involved with my hobbies.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

"DH and I went alcohol-free for January (we did have wine on New Year's day) and we both lost a few lbs"

Any effect on sleep habits? I ask because I also decided to quit drinking alcohol around Xmas time, so it's now been over a month wine-free. I had gotten into the habit of having a glass or two on Fridays/Saturdays and occasionally during the week. It really wasn't doing anything very positive for me; neither my husband nor my daughter drink so it wasn't even socializing! And I hoped it would be a positive change to some crappy sleep habits.

Happy to report that whether it's coincidence or not, my sleep patterns have improved noticeably since I gave up the chardonnay. I have also been trying to practice breathing meditation patterns at night to avoid what I called engaging the motor mind: when I'd wake up at 3-4-5 am and instantly my brain would start churning away worrying about things I need to do, problems I have to work on etc. I"m sleeping much better and not missing the wine.

However I also have lost a few pounds and now find myself in the don't-hate-me-for-this situation of dipping below what I feel is my optimal weight. I feel fine but I'm a little self conscious about looking like one of those scrawny old ladies like the one below :). I think I need to start doing some moderate weight training to get more definition and less pipe cleaner going on!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Joined a gym and have been doing cardio and weight training. I'm quite ok with my current weight, but not so happy with the flabby thighs! My goal is to tone up and build muscle. So far, it has been enjoyable!

Keep going. Be strong. Be well!

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Keep going. Be strong. Be well! I love that!

Beth P.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Running, yes, definitely an improvement on sleep habits. Though wine is helpful for falling asleep--some nights we almost feel we are too wide awake late, DH definitely feels his sleep overall is improved, and he wakes up less often. I sleep like a log, so it is not really an issue for me. I also do the meditation breathing when I get up in the night to use the bathroom or to put the cat out of the BR so I can fall back asleep. He starts poking at me anytime after 3:30 or so because he is ready to be fed.

Good for you for the weight loss. Definitely do weights. I don't know if I'll ever see optimal again, but closer would be good at this point.