Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9268002

Mother of the Bride Dress New Thread

User
10 years ago

Hi- I know there was at least one other thread about mother of the bride but I would like to focus mainly on the dress (because I am shallow like that. not really:).
Let me just start by saying I am thrilled to be in this position.

The wedding is in August' a Sunday afternoon at the groom's mother's home/backyard. It is going to be LARGE, and I need to find a dress. I started looking online and I did go one day just to try on to see how things look
What do you think of this one?
I like that it does not feature a frumpy or matronly looking lady- I guess I am asking if I try it on again and its a go, For what it's worth, I am 60, and am probably a size 12 or 14.what do you think? It;s also VERY reasonably priced.
Actually I have tried to upload the image but for some reason it's really really hazy.
Here is the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: here's hoping

Comments (50)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Congratulations. Such an exciting time for you.

I say no to this dress for a variety of reasons. To me, a long navy dress for an outside wedding in August is too stifling.
    Also, unless you have a figure like that model, it does not look too forgiving.
    I love Nordstrom's for evening wear and I say keep looking.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I Have to agree with ellendi, unless you are perfectly pro-portioned I don't think it would work. It will accent your hips, your butt and your bust.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

I don't like it for the same reason ellendi and bl mentioned. It also seems a little matronly.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

You will die of the heat in a polyester dress in August, especially a long navy one. It is a lovely style, but you better have good arms and back and thin hips to wear it.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

I too would have concerns about the color and draping, but I would think the hemline would be problematic for an outdoor wedding. Would grass, bark, etc not be drug along by the dress?

• yayagal
    10 years ago

August is the hottest month of the year and I think the dress is too formal for an outdoor wedding. Something lighter and cooler would be more appropriate. Keep on looking, sorry.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Sheila, where do you live? Here in So. CA the evenings get pretty cool, even in August, so location would help those that are telling you it will be too hot. Knowing how much of the yard is walkable will also be important in choosing shoes and hemlines.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The wedding will be in suburban Philly area. Yes August is definitely hot. It will be tented, and the backyard is "Relatively" flat. The dress would be shortened, and believe it or not, it seemed flattering. Your comments are very helpful. I need another set of eyes. Shoes will have a slight heel but will be comfy - that is a must.
    The dress although polyester is fairly light and very flattering with the draping-. I appreciate the comments...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm with the others...the shape of the skirt will really emphasize the hips, so, unless your body is more square and needs the help of a curvy dress to look curvy, then I'd say its a definite no. I agree too about the weight and August heat....
    Will you want to coordinate with the bridal party? If so, what colors are they wearing?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I agree with others about the dress....also, tents can be very hot...I think they just do fans and not AC.and if they do have AC it will not hit every area. ..our neighbor attended a tent reception in the summer and said it was almost unbearable, everyone was sweating bullets. My son had a tented reception in early April last year....we're in Maryland so it was chilly once the sun went down....and even though they had heat blowers...one table would be freezing and the next table was roasting because the blowers were right on them. Tents are big....they just can't be heated or cooled the same as a building. Sorry...I don't mean to rain on your parade....but just wanted to mention it so you could dress accordingly.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think Sunday afternoon in August in the Philly area, you have to be prepared for mid 80s and humid. And sun.

You need linen or cotton and a light color (you will prob be in the sun for photos at the very least).

How formal is the wedding?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think something with a bolero jacket would be a good idea.

I don't like this color , but this style is flattering.

{{gwi:1497727}}

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

I am actually about the same age and size. This was one of the dresses that I seriously considered buying and it looked great on, less than perfect body and all- something about the way it is cut and draped, makes one look voluptuous rather than chunky. But I didn't feel like me in it.
    It is made with heavy fabric and would be hot to wear in May and I could not imagine wearing it for an outside wedding in August.

• redcurls
    10 years ago

It doesn't seem "summery" to me. I think you would roast in all that fabric. My son was married in July (in Maryland) and even my pale pink cocktail length dress which looked VERY SIMILAR to yours from the waist up, was awfully hot. But, then again, it was 107 that day.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Maybe something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: With Bolero....

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I think we need to ask Sheilaaus about her body type also. Are you tall, short, medium, large boned, small boned, etc? A size 12-14 doesn't mean much unless you can imagine it on a certain height body and body shape. I also think mtn asked a good question...is it formal, semi-formal. August may indeed be too hot for a long, navy polyester dress. I am so anti-MOB (that's DD's and my code for 'Mother of the Bride') matronly dress, I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I'm 65, and if I had to pick a dress again today for any of my kids' weddings, it would still be difficult.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

August on the east coast? Garden wedding?

I'd be looking at something flowing and bo-ho in cotton or silk or linen.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

try macy's

Here is a link that might be useful: dress

• lyfia
    10 years ago

So the conditions in your area and it being an afternoon wedding I don't think that dress fit. I would die in that dress in November here when we have similar conditions in the afternoon with the humidity and such. I would need something that lets air in under the skirt if I wanted a long dress or I would be dripping under there. Something similar to the linked dress.

Here is a link that might be useful: long dress, but opening to allow air in if wanted

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Lyfia, that is a pretty dress.

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

I agree with many of the comments so far. FWIW--I attended a wedding last summer and the bride's mom wore a similar choice. The groom's mom wore a lovely, short(er) silk shantung dress. The day was unbearably hot and the bride's mom looked like she was melting in that long, dark dress, but the groom's mom breezed through the day. After watching the difference between the two, I vowed to go the "short, breezy route" should either of our kids choose a summer wedding date.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Sheila,

Here is the dress I wore to dds wedding a couple of years ago after shopping for a dress for months. A stylist helped me pick it out at a bridal shop and it was gorgeous. It was very slimming and I am not slender. She picked the color that she thought looked best on me.

DD2 just got engaged and we are in the midst of planning an April 2015 wedding. I will go right back to this brand I think.

Good luck and congratulations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions and thank you cooperbaily for letting me know I am not crazy- it honestly was quite flattering. (and the lace is relatively open and breezy).
    I am fairly certain I want long and shoulders must be covered, even a cap sleeve would be ok. If it is sleeveless then at least a shawl or scarf would be ok for the ceremony but I would prefer not to have to fuss . I guess I need to get back there and try on some more and I will definitely be thinking about breezy.. Hard to describe if it is "formal"; it is after all in a backyard, but this is quite a nice affair and I would say most people will be dressed in cocktail garden party attire
    I like that one redlover and think it would be flattering as well, not too many options near me but I will look. I like the tiered dress just not sure I guess until I try it on if the tiers add bulk.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

May I suggest:
    Go to the store dressed for trying on things - comfortable, easy to remove garments and shoes, your best supportive bra, maybe bring along shoes with a similar heel to what you might wear that day
    Don't shop when you're hungry
    Bring bottled water to stay hydrated, maybe even a protein snack to fend off hunger
    Prepare to be there a long time
    Try on all sorts of things, step outside your comfort zone and try styles that are different for you
    Don't be too critical of how you look, an easy trap to fall into when shopping
    Bring an honest friend or daughter for 2nd opinions
    Remember things can be altered but don't buy anything that will need major reconstruction
    Try to enjoy the experience, which, I know, is easier said than done.

I recently tried on 13 dresses (just to be a wedding guest, not a featured player) and NONE of them fit right. It's discouraging but the right dress is out there, for both of us, we just need to keep looking.

• geokid
    10 years ago

What about this one? Reviews say it's lightweight and the top is lined so you can wear a regular bra.

Here is a link that might be useful: Evening Dress

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Sheila, are you still looking? IMO, most of what i'm seeing are not for a garden wedding, dressy affair or not. I worked in retail for many years, including Nordstrom, and a short stint at Saks. This was in San Diego, so we had a variety of wedding venues, including the garden wedding. We always showed colorful dresses, or even 2 pieces outfits, floral/prints being very popular.

Here is my recommendation, nice fabric, pretty style, a great color for all skin/hair color, and could possibly compliment most figure types. A nice little shrug/sweater wouldn't 'fight' with the style. Read the reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: dress

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Patty cakes is on the right track. But as MOB, I think a solid color would be better.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

This Eileen Ficher lightweight sweater looks like a good match. A chunky beaded necklace/earrings and it's a done deal.

Here is a link that might be useful: sweater

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

My idea for a necklace. A bit of 'bling' but not enough to fight w/the dress.

Here is a link that might be useful: necklace

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I am still looking,( I only went one day to try on a few just to see)..... I love the suggestions. Pattycakes I love the dress but I don't think it's quite right for me as mother of the bride but I love your stylin'. ( I love the necklace which is more than the dress lol).
    I have time and will try to get out a few more times to see what else is out there. I like a lot of the suggestions. I just saw this one which is very similar to the others but maybe more easy breezy? I might just need a shawl for the ceremony. what do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: patra beaded possible at nordstrom

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I agree that MOB should probably be in a solid, as few prints look formal.

I would try searching in Neiman Marcus, under formal dresses, by whatever price point you want. I really would not wear a dark color. On a hot summer day the sun will be punishing, if only for 30 minutes of photos you are in. And you may also look out of place; I would not expect much navy in summer in August outdoors. Or at least pair it with white.

I would also wear a skirt with a little more airflow. And I would try to avoid synthetics (the last is hard).

It's very hard not knowing your style but I think this is elegant:

or

Not for every body type

If you really want blue, maybe another shade (tho this looks like a bridesmaid to me)

another nice one

another blue one that is a bit airier

( I was stuck waiting for one of my kids at an event so I just started looking thru the site! Some of these may be laughably off base, not knowing your coloring or physique, but I think they are the direction you should think about. I don't know if you are a suit person but a great silk suit in a light color is a very nice look and flattering too)

Good luck!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I saw that one Sheila, and it's beautiful~I guess I was trying to steer you down the path of something bright rather than dark. It looks to have that light airy feeling you 're wanting and the ruffles make it so feminine as well as giving a slightly trendy look w/o being juvenile.

You do have a couple of months, but getting yourself taken care of is one less thing to worry about! I think I'm relieved not having to be the MOTB again, unless oldest DD should remarry! My oldest Grand is 22, and I don't see a marriage in the near future, and am just keeping
    my fingers crossed!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

sheila, I like the last one you linked very much, I also loved your first choice initially. I wore a dark grey breezy looking dress for DD's wedding last august, I am most comfortable in dark colours and although I had hesitated a lot because it was not a summery colour I'm glad I stuck to my comfort zone. Men wear dark suits so in the pictures I was not the only one wearing dark, the other MOB wore very light grey.

My dress was one strap sleeveless but I wore a very sheer black stole/wrap to camouflage my less than perfect arms, and it was a pain to keep the stole in place so I do recommend you get your cap sleeve or short sleeve and not bother with a wrap. I wish I had done that.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Sheila,
    I like the last one from Nordstrom that you posted.
    Better length, more flow.
    Looks beautiful.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I may be out of date, but my recollection of wedding etiquette is that the only one wearing a white dress at a wedding should be the bride.

Something like this might work...sleeveless, back vent but still allows you to wear a decent bra...and it comes in your choice of colors. (From Merledress.com)
    {{gwi:1497753}}

• legomom23
    10 years ago

I really like the last one you posted too. With no sleeves and the airy skirt I think you would be ok. I agree that navy works unless the men are wearing light suits or tuxes. Then you might look out of place.
    I think with that hemline I would prefer nude shoes, but that's something you would know for sure when you tried it on.
    I didn't know the MOB could wear white either:)

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

When I think garden wedding, I think of something more like this for MOB:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty MOB dress

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I agree, Nashville. All these floor length dresses seem wrong to me regardless of the styling.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Nash is on the right track.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't been back looking- I am still strongly considering the first one (but am working on finding a good strapless bra) and the last one patra one.
    I hear you and appreciate the opinions, and have to say that the one Nashville posted is absolutely stunning0where is it from?
    but I think for mother of the bride that for ME, long seems to be what I am drawn to.
    I would hate to have a guest in a similar outfit, and somehow I feel that by wearing long, that is less likely. Don't know if that is rational but that is a large part of why I would like to wear long. I also feel it is more special and after all I am the MOB. :)
    (and the bride really likes the first one. just trying to find a comfy supportive strapless bra. )

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

You could wear a bra that has those plastic transparent straps, it would not show through the lace, I think those straps are sold separately or come as an alternative with certain bras.

I went back to look at the original dress, I"ve liked it since the beginning and you are drawn to it.

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

It does make a body look good! If you aren't afraid of being too hot, go for it!

• tfitz1006
    10 years ago

I'd be heading to Eileen Fisher for some gorgeous flowy separates.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The saga continues. It's really a shame but I have tried on some in real life in stores, but between the size and everything else, I am having a party ordering from Nordstrom and macy's so far. And, so far, nada. I am waiting to receive some but the ones I have received so far are not good. It's so hard to tell size. I ordered size 14 and it was huge. Now I am ordering 12 and 14 but each manufacturer seems to run QUITE different despite the tips they have on the ordering. Eventually I pray something will look wonderful. I did head out to Nordstrom and MAcy's yesterday and tried on quite a few, but of course NADA worked. I am not yet in a panic, but in a few more weeks I will be in a tizzy.
    Well the bride has her dress, and we have the place, caterer and band. Everything else will fall into place. That is my mantra.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Sheila, I have been following your thread but forgive me if I don't remember all the places you have looked. Have you look for a dress at a bridal salon?
    It seems you want a long classic MOB dress. At least there, you can choose the color yams style that you want.

• alisande
    10 years ago

Sheila, if you think it's a flattering dress, then it must be. We are most critical of ourselves. If I needed a mother-of-the-bride dress (alas, my children eloped), I would look for an Adrianna Papell. The one you picked is beautiful, but it doesn't look summery at all. I would be concerned about your comfort as well as the appearance of the dress.

I would keep looking at Adrianna's line, if I were you.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So at long last I have an update. I did try on quite a few- and ended up with 3 finalists. I anguish over most decisions, this one included. The original one, I tried on again and didn't love it as much and also realized that while I could wear a strapless bra if I were perhaps a guest, as mother of the bride who wants to dance and go crazy, that was not an option. I spent m time at the stores, and also ordered quite a few (at the end, I was ordering dresses in 2 sizes because you never know. (
    I don't know how the picture will show up but I got this dress in navy and I love it. It is understated but has some bling, is long but not sweeping the floor, very flattering on and-------has a short sleeve bolero jacket for coverage but looks good without It as well. I actually took it to a tailor today to tweak it. It covers me fine, but she will raise the straps a tad and also ensure that the bra straps are totally covered. I am very excited and cannot wait to wear it.
    and----it's comfy!!!
    Now for shoes. I know I want strappy, and am looking for super comfy but of course pretty. I think a wedge could work since it is a garden wedding......... but yay I have a dress!!

Here is a link that might be useful: prettiness

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Very nice...I like this much better than your first choice and I think you'll be happy with the jacket too.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Really like it for your mother-of-the-bride dress. If it's also comfy, then it must be the perfect dress. So glad you've found the one.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

So happy for you that you found YOUR dress!