Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosarugosa1

Bad IPL Photofacial! Need advice!

Rosarugosa1
10 years ago

Well, thinking I needed to do some sprucing up I decided to try something new at a local Medspa run by an MD. I was bothered by lots of brown spots on my face, the legacy of many years without sunscreen. The doctor said an IPL Photofacial would remove them and was risk-free, etc. I did some online research and saw some people had problems but many were very happy with the results and I thought because this was a reputable facility with an MD supervising it would be okay.

I am terrified now and think I have totally ruined my face. It has been one week and I have laxity in my skin! I have lines and creases that were not there prior to IPL! When I smile skin bunches up like gathered fabric around my mouth and on my cheeks! There are vertical lines around my mouth and up to my eyes. Even my husband says he can see them.

It started about day 2 after the IPL. I went to see the Doctor again. She looked at me briefly. She said I was going to have a great result. She said I had dry skin. She didn't say anything about the lines. I am panicking now. I am cleansing very very gently and applying bio-oil and anything else I can think of that is highly moisturizing non stop.

The doctor said to come in in 3 weeks and have microdermabrasion to clean everything up but I am very wary and don't trust her at this point. I do not use Retin A. Will that help with the lines?

What would you do and if you had IPL were you pleased with the results? Right now I really wish I had not done it.

Comments (28)

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

Rosa, if peeling is part of the IPL procedure, what you are seeing may be a precursor to the peeling. Have you talked with the spa since the treatment? If they are a reputable medispa, as you said, I wouldn't be too concerned at this point but you need to check in with them.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I don't know if this is normal or not but if they never advised you that this would happen then I would call and insist on being seen. I wouldn't wait 3 weeks.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Even if the photo facial wasn't done right, your skin will regenerate. It might take a while. Don't panic.

Did they give you anything topical?

• Rosarugosa1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The technician used a numbing creme on my face prior to using the IPL handset. After the procedure she had me roll ice on my face to reduce the hot feeling. The only topical creme applied was a sun screen that she applied after she was done with the IPL. It was a 40 spf. I bought some of the same sunscreen for home use and have been applied Bio-oil which I get at the Rite Aid and the heavy hand cream made by neutrogena. The Fisherman's formula. Tomorrow I will try to get in to see my regular dermatologist. Really upset though. I'm 50+ and thought I was doing myself a favor with this highly popular treatment.

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

I've had Aquaphor given to use following laser treatments. This is also what the dermatologist I used to work for would give to patients who needed moisture. I wonder if sunscreen could have a drying ingredient in it?

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I've had IPL and a good experience. Describe your skin type and condition prior to the treatment. If you had light, relatively even coverage of sun damage, that could be what is causing the lines you see. As the damaged areas slough off, they get dry and crackly. So if you had kind of even sun damage over a large area as opposed to a few darker spots here and there, it could make crinkly lines over a large area. I had what looked more like overgrown freckles and they looked like what you describe but in areas smaller than a pencil eraser. I think it all depends on the type of skin you're starting with. Breathe, go see your doctor and give it a little more time - I hope you'll be happy with the end result. I am with mine.

This post was edited by dlm2000 on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 13:12

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I have no advice, but it's obvious that this medispa didn't give proper aftercare instructions/advice.
    That said, I'm sure that your face isn't "ruined". It probably just needs some time to heal.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I've never had an IPL, only various peels which left my skin shedding like a snake. I used Aquaphor and it helped with dryness significantly. I wouldn't be too concerned about looking like a cabbage patch doll just yet. Your skin has gone thru a procedure which is very extreme, and it takes time for the PH balance to return and natural oil to return.

Here's a site which could answer your question or at least make you feel better.

Here is a link that might be useful: here

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Does the procedure hurt when they do it? I am full of brown spots from too much sun and being a naturally freckley person. Also, please report back about your final result and whether you are happy with it. From what others have said, it sounds as if the wrinkles are only temporary.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Rosa, did you see your derm?

• RoseAbbey
    10 years ago

The more sun damaged your skin is the worse you look right after the procedure, as the damaged cells come to the surface and slough off. It takes about 10-14 days to see your final results. Itt works really well for brown spots or freckles.

• Rosarugosa1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's wrinkles, not peeling that is worrying me. There are little silvery lines that don't have anything to do with sun damage. They definitely were not there before I had this. The brown peeling bits look just like what they described as after effect. But these lines are definitely NOT. There isn't even any sun damange where these lines have cropped up. It's like the heat from the light just burned my skin and made it crinkle up on my cheeks and on the sides of my face. My derm can see me on Friday. I do not think I will go back to this medspa for treatment but I want to get my records to bring to my derm so she knows what they did. I am very nervous about going there to the med spa and demanding my records. I think they will stall and tell me it's fine and give me the run around. I asked my husband to go with me in case they make a fuss but he has a meeting at work that he can't miss that day. Maybe I will switch the appointments so he can come with me when I go get my records. Did I mention too that I checked the doctors credentials and she is a family practice doctor -- board certified but still, not a derm. I think lots of doctors are finding the medspa business very profitable. Very sad tonight and trying to avoid mirrors.

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

I had IPL done but by a dermatologist. No problems.

dedtired -Yes it did hurt but not unbearably except near my nose. I couldn't do it all in one session anyway so split up the spots around that hypersensitive area over 3 sessions.

• RoseAbbey
    10 years ago

I had one IPL session, no problems, but I didnt have alot of sun damage. One problem I had which it didnt address was spider veins, so I had KTP treatment. This really cleared up the few spider veins I had. I did notice a couple of silvery lines under one eye, but that disappeared after a month. I think you will be fine, just takes time.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Rosa, how are you doing? Did the silvery lines resolve?

• Rosarugosa1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi jamies, no. The lines are still there. They are like crosshatching around my cheeks and eyes and the texture of my skin isn't what it used to be. I am babying my skin with Cellex-C and sunscreen and a couple other products and hoping for the best. My dermatologist says there's nothing else to do at this point. I will see another aesthetician at the derm's office and look into other treatments. Thanks for asking. One thing I have just started though is something called Necktifirm. It is really helping the loose skin on my neck. I like what it's doing after only a week and hope to see even more improvement longer term.

• rilie
    9 years ago

Hi there... just bumping this back up, and wondering if anyone else has anything to add. How are you making out Rosarugosa now that it's a few months post-treatment?

I'm scheduled for an IPL treatment tomorrow to help with some sun damage on my face.... and am feeling a wee bit nervous. It sounds like a few here have had the treatment with good results? How many sessions?

• Rosarugosa1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Rilie, I hope your IPL goes well and you are happy with the results. I think the single IPL facial was very bad for my skin. I hope that in time, with lots of TLC and topical products, I can return my skin to its pre-IPL condition. I'd love to hear how you did and what you think of the procedure. Lots of luck to you!

• Gina Moffie
    5 years ago
    hi Rosa experiencing same issues with texture did it improve or did you try anything else
  • HU-754417680
    4 years ago

I had the exact same thing happen to me after one ipl treatment done in a plastic surgeons office this is the results of the treatment lots of lines running down my face I did no have any of these lines before the treatment fat loss under the eyes around the mouth indentations on my cheek and chin white scar in the shape of a treatment head brown marks on the other side shape of treatment head hyperpigmentation lower jaw area skin will not hold moisture anymore my skin is aged more than my 82 year old mother went back to plastic surgeon to show her the result of one treatment and she would not examine my skin she denied the treatment caused all the problems and suggested I get more treatments to fix the damage she claimed she could not see I declined her offer of more treatments as this would hav e caused even more damage if that is possible its been four years since this happen to me and my skin has not improved at all I have seen 2 dermatolgist for treatment advise and was told nothing can be done so if you find out how to treat this damage please let me know as the doctors I have seen said its permanent

• HU-754417680
    4 years ago

Belle 789 Thats your comment punctuation this is about people damaged by IPL treatments

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Few will even bother to read a post that is just one long, run-on sentence, so if you wish to communicate your experience coherently, then yes -- punctuation IS "your friend."

• Karin K
    4 years ago

Home decorating ... who knew IPL fell into that category

• DLM2000-GW
    4 years ago

Karin K you may not be aware but GardenWeb (under the houzz umbrella now) has a conversation sub-forum under our GW Decorating where we discuss all manner of things. This post originated in 2014, pre-houzz. When someone does an internet search on a topic that pulls up an old thread, if they post to it, it comes up in the current Decorating forum here due to the way houzz has set up their IT here - I'm sure you've noticed all kinds of glitches with photos, Idea Books, etc. Technology is not their strong suit here. It's not due to a forum choice poster HU-754417580 made. And while I'm at it it would be nice if Houzz would do away with those ridiculous temporary profiles and require a full registration before allowing someone to post.

• Gina Moffie
    4 years ago

Hi, so I tried Clear and Brilliant laser, it's baby fraxel and wow has it made a difference for me. I highly recommend the permea, it has really helped some of the funky texture for me. Please have it done by a dermatologist and go low and slow with it!

• HU-697838771
    3 years ago

Did you ever find a solution? I am going through the same problem. Does it ever get better?

• HU-117758680
    3 years ago

Hi, I had the same issue and felt horrible like my youth was stolen. However my skin is healing. I believe the moisture barrier was broken.

I watched and bought all the products from this girls video

https://youtu.be/u5v2di8uYsQ

I also take cooler shorter showers, eat a healthy diet, including a bit of aloe.

its been about three weeks and I feel like I have my face back with still some scarring from the facial. I am hoping maderma and time will help that.

The last two nights I mixed aloe, avocado, banana, and coconut oil and kept deeply massaging into my face. I waited till my moisture got better before I massaged like this. I can completely feel a difference. Before my skin felt disconnected from me face and just was limp. Now it feels like it holds together. I hope this helps and works for you.

oh I also use argon oil and vitamin E and started taking skin vitamins made by Pacifica.

my skin looks pretty again and I feel like myself.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz