Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thank you for your kind thoughts!

Posted by iheartgiantschnauzer (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 16:17

Ok, I've been home for a few days now. I wanted to escape my reality for a bit and this forum is a great way to get mentally lost in anything not related to leukemia. However, i wanted to say thanks. While I was in the hospital, my sister in law relayed your well wishes. Thank you so much. I was very touched by the kindness.

February is off to a pretty rough start for me. The only word that comes to mind is devastating. I am an athlete and fighter by nature. It's so hard to wait and do nothing ( not entirely true as m on a low dose oral chemo to slow the disease progression aka buying some time). Yet that is exactly what I'm doing. After consulting with several doctors at several cancer centers we believe it's better to let my kidneys, liver and lungs heal some more before we try a harsher salvage regimen. Ideally they would like to have found a match before we start the salvage chemo. The first two days home from the hospital was all about my son. I try to shelter him from my disease as much as possible. However yesterday his grandma took him for the day. I'm not going to lie I spent about 6 hours throwing myself a pity party; but Today is better. I'm more hopeful.

On a happier note, my husband has decided to take some vacation days early this year. I started a thread asking for travel ideas -- please pop over into that thread help me decide where to go!

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 16:20

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thank you for your kind thoughts!

It is SO good to "see" you, IHGS!

I am so very sorry for this setback and have you in my thoughts. I think I posted this before...if anyone can beat this "expletive deleted" leukemia, it is you! Your strength and tenacity have come through loud and clear.

At your sister-in-law's request, I went to beamatch.org. Unfortunately, I am way to old to make any donation other than financial....and it was my pleasure to do so. There was a place to make the donation in someone's name but I thought they might think I'm a bit weird (well, I am) to type in iheartgiantschnauzer :-). But please know, a donation was made in honor of you and to help others.

Now I'll go to your other thread and make some travel suggestions albeit probably a bit boring for you :-)

o

I'm so glad you stopped by with an update. If anyone deserves a pity party, it is you. Feel free to say whatever is on your mind if you ever need to vent. There are great listeners here. I truly hope every day finds you stronger and that you are receiving all the daily comforts you need.

o

Can't come up with the right words but did shed tears for you.

dorothy, Will's grandmother

o

I know this is your escape-- so just want to keep it light and say I am sending many good wishes and vibes your way.. hoping for a good donor match. You are blessed with great personal strength and a great support team in your family. This will get you through the rough patches!

o

Thanks so much for checking in and letting us know how you are doing.

Hang tough, kiddo!

Sending you comfort, courage and healing thoughts your way.

o

Sending prayers your way for healing, for happiness and many good family times with your DH & DS.
Lynn

o

Wishing you all the good health energy in the world....

o

IHGS,
Don't 'know' you, but here's what I like about you:
- passion about fitness and nutrition
- willingness to share recipes and menus
- knowledgable and informed
- measured and responsive
- inquisitive
- transparent and caring

My hope is that your team finds the best protocol for YOU.
My wish for you is time to earn those laugh lines.
~bgj

o

Sending caring thoughts, and my hope that they will find the best protocol for you, too.

o

You will beat this. You deserve it, you just will. My best friend, older than you , is a leukemia survivor, as you will be.! Stay positive. Sending prayers for you.

o

I'm glad you allowed yourself a pity party. And glad too that the pity party is now over and you are focussing on something fun.

Know that many people, although "strangers", are rooting for you and care about you.

o

you are so brave and strong, I wish you the best of healing powers, and thanks for checking in.

o

Waiting is the hardest thing to do and it doesn't come easily to the kind of strong minded, active, efficient person we know you as on GW. A friend who battled with leukemia for four years adopted a saying when she had to wait... let go and let God... she wasn't an especially religious person but it was her way of acknowledging the necessity of letting her body heal before the next step was taken. She did not ever embrace the inactivity but gained a level of acceptance that kept her from worrying that treatment should be constant and relentless. She has been in remission for about three years now, btw, is back as a tennis coach and is a tireless fundraiser for leukemia research and patient advocacy. I almost miss her Caring Bridge page updates but am so very happy she is Back, capital B, and hope with all my prayers and good wishes that you will be too. <3

o

IHGS, thank you for checking in. It is so good to hear from you. I am thinking healthy thoughts for your treatment regimen.

o

Welcome Back!
Prayers and good wishes are coming from here.

Beth P.

o

You know we'll all in your corner - sending healing thoughts, prayers and positive vibes. Wishing the best for you and your family.

Maire

o

IHGS, thank you for providing us an insight into your life and your current situation. Wishes for continued strength to fight the fight of your life. Being always athletic and still working in my 60's, I can understand it is hard to deal with setbacks in health. I love your optimism, and am praying your strength of will and mind will take you far.

o

Take each day as it comes and make it a masterpiece. That was my dad's motto. If only we could all do that. You have to let your feelings out and, each time you do, your body relaxes which is a better state for healing. I will be praying daily for you and your family. God bless you.

o

Sending good thoughts your way, IHGS

o

IHGS, thinking of you and praying for you. (((hugs)))

o

Thinking of you and hoping for the best for you. Hugs to you and to emerald too.

o

You all are wonderful! I'm truly touched by the support and well wishes.

Marlene- your generosity is so kind. It's a great organization and truly life promising for someone in my position.

Dorothy- how is your grandson? Mouth sores are a miserable side effect. Hopefully he's discovered magic rinse and things are on the mend.

Again thank you everyone.

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 14:46

o

Somehow I missed all of this. Jeez, IHGS, I feel for you! My nephew-in-law had leukemia as a child, was not supposed to live long and is still around in his late 30's to drive us all crazy. Why my niece married him, I will never know, but they have two girls ages 7 and 5 that I adore, and he is a great dad, so I have learned to love him. He still takes some kind of medication and avoids many foods (mostly dairy). Other than that he is quite robust and an avid golfer and fly fisherman.

So, never give up, never surrender. None of us know what the future holds. Wishing only the best for you.

o

I lurk more than post so you likely don't recognize me but I wanted to add my prayers and best wishes. You are an inspiration to the rest of us. I will also go to beamatch to register and.donate. Thinking of you as you fight this battle and hoping you find some measure of peace as you wait.

o

IHGS, Grandson Will is on his second round of chemo after spending nearly a week back in the hospital due to mouth sores and severe headaches. He will be finished with this one on Monday and we hope he will not experience the same pains etc. He used a mouth wash the last time but it did not seem to help. They have something else to try this time so maybe it will be easier for him. Our prayers for all who are going through this horrible disease and thank you for remembering him.

dorothy

o

Thank you Kim.

Dorothy- thank you for the update. I'll continue to send you and your family positive thoughts. It can be quite the roller coaster.

o

Positive thoughts and prayers for you.

o

You are in my thoughts. Sending blessings and light!

o

You are in my prayers for healing and comfort.

o

IHGS-I am so sorry to read of your setback. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

o

I feel a little silly popping in just to say Thanks. But I am grateful for all the positive thoughts. I like to think they matter. Hope everyone has a great end of the month!

o

Sorry smart phone double posting.

This post was edited by countryatheart on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 12:08

o

Backwards! Spotted your vacation ideas first, and now this. Words are not enough, but your will, spirit, and tenacity are part of those positive forces. I bet your son is wise, and is an important element toward your personal support. I can partially relate to your journey, and the friendly cyber-support here at GW. Best wishes to you and the family.

o

You are in my prayers ~

tina

o

I appreciate your kindness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here