Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Tina...Chocolate Chess Pie...DELICIOUS!

Oakley
13 years ago

Two Thumbs Up from me and my dh! He's home and we both felt like we'd tasted "Heaven." LOL.

I used a new recipe for the crust, it calls for butter instead of Crisco, and to refrigerate the crust (in a ball) for 4 hours, and boy is it flakey! Best.crust.ever. If I say so myself!

FIVE STARS!!!! Oh, I used half Splenda and half Sugar and you can't tell the difference, even the texture turned out perfect.

Thanks! It's definitely going to be served for get togethers with friends and family. :)

Comments (5)

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Follow the *rules* , oakley! You have to reprint the recipe (I did see it in the easy dessert thread) with your changes and give your crust recipe with it!!! I love a butter crust so please share.

Also, what is the consistency of the pie? Is it like a cream pie or is it more dense and chewy?

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Glad you liked it! There's also a coconut pie that is very similar - like a chess pie with coconut, also called french coconut pie - very easy.

I will have to try the splenda next time myself. I try to not make alot of desserts unless we are having someone over - so we don't eat it all! LOL

dlm - it's not a cream pie per se, it is more dense, but I wouldn't really say chewy. RICH. LOL

The pie crust sounds good Oakley - I really do not like Crisco and avoid it if at all possible! It seems to leave a "feeling" in my mouth. Yuk.

tina

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tina, I know what you mean about the taste of Crisco.

Here's Tina's recipe for the Pie, my recipe for the Crust follows.

Chocolate Chess Pie

1/2 stick of Butter, partially melted
    1 1/4 c. Sugar or Splenda/Sugar mix (comes in a bag)
    3 T. Cocoa
    2 T. Flour
    2 Eggs
    3/4 c. Milk
    1 t. Vanilla

One uncooked Pie Shell.

Whisk the sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla & butter. Add dry ingredients. A whisk is all you need. Pour into Pie Shell. Bake 35-40 min. @ 375. You can pretty much tell when it's done just by looking at it. It looks like a big Brownie coming from the oven, then it flattens like a Pie. SO EASY.

Butter Flaky Pie Crust (tips below)

1 1/4 c. Flour
    1/4 t. Salt
    1/2 c. Butter, chilled and diced
    1/4 c. Ice Water

In large bowl combie Flour and Salt. Add diced Butter and mix until it resembles crumbs. I use one of those dough thingys to do this, I can't remember the name of the gadget. lol Or do it with two forks.

Stir in Water, one Tablespoon at a time until mixture forms a ball.

Wrap in Saran Wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Tips on Crust.

My finished dough ball looked a little too crumbly but I didn't feel like starting over.

After you get it out of the fridge, take it out of the saran wrap and let it get too room temperature, or close to it.

Lay on lightly floured surface, and make sure to flour your rolling pin. Flatten out to fit the pie pan. I did my dough on Parchment Paper & it tried to stick! Trim excess dough off edges of pie plate with a knife.

That's where some of my crust started falling apart, and I just used fallen off dough in spots to fill in.

I also lightly poked some holes in the crust with a fork, some of the batter got between the crust and plate, but it came out of the pie plate sooo smoothly and didn't stick.

Amazingly it turned out perfect!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Sounds really good!

Oakley, your crust must have been divine, but Tina, if I just want to pour the stuff into a prepared shell, is there one you recommend? Graham cracker, chocolate, or other pie shell? Brands?

Thanks! I really want to try this recipe!

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

This pie has been making the rounds on GW. It sounds so good, but my DH aint supposed to eat no nuthin like this! (He already has high triglycerides at 34yrs with a family history of arteriosclerosis.)
    The rest of us, from eastern European peasant stock are very thin and can eat just about anything modified to be GF (gluten free). It would be mean to eat this in front of my sweet DH. Boo hoo.