Did you consult your child?

Posted by javachik (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 14:39

...in naming your next child? Here are some examples I read in a mag

"My 9 y/o is begging to name his unborn brother Xbox."

"My 4 y/o wants to name her sister Zuma Applesauce."

"My 2 boys wanted to name the 3rd boy Pizza or
Chicken."

"Jennifer Garner said her 2 daughters suggested Daisy Duck as a name for their new sibling."

My son is an only child so I never had the pleasure, but he kept re-inventing himself as Paco, Justin and Luke (Skywalker).

So, what did your older child(ren) want to name their sibling(s)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did you consult your child?

The boys were 5 and 7 and wanted to name there new sister...I didn't have any idea it was a girl so this happened after she was born, Rock or Stone ! She is Madeline LOL...they still laugh about this...they are 29/34/36 now :) c

o

No, they weren't consulted. Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda, because his son wanted to name her after The Legend of Zelda video game.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zelda Williams

o

When we adopted Derek, he came pre-named. Of course we had to change his last name to ours, and we switched his middle name from 'Lud' to Joseph. We began practicing his new last name with him at 2 yo.

Me: Your name is Derek Joseph Snell
Derek: No! My name is Derek Applejuice.

It took us 6 months to convince him. He would argue with anyone, insisting his last name was Applejuice.

o

My older son Alex wanted to name our younger son Dixon -- which we actually loved, but just wouldn't work well with our last name... When asked why, he revealed that his pretty young teacher was 'Miss Dixon' ;-)

o

Meanie me, I never gave either DS (9 y/o then) or DH the opportunity to voice any baby name choices. From the time I was a kid myself, I was determined to name my daughter the most beautiful (to me) girl's name in the world: Emily Elizabeth . . . and that's what we named her. Thankfully my sweet hubby liked the name, too. I'd never read a "Clifford" book in my life and had no idea that was the girl's name, but I've been asked many times over the years if that's where I got the name. No!
Lynn

o

trail - I wonder if they would have named 2 more Paper and Scissors?

terriks - Good thing his son wasn't fascinated with the Legend of Zorro.

golddust - That must have engendered quite a few interesting conversations! How funny!

Sweeby - Kids can really be entranced by their teachers, can't they? Hope Miss Dixon returned Alex's affection.

Lynn - I never read the Clifford book, either, but if you had, you couldn't have chosen a more beautiful, melodious name. Good thing you didn't choose her name from The Bobbsey Twins books like I did. As a child I swore if I had twins I'd name them Freddie and Flossie! By the way, I found my mirror. It's marked on the back w/ D. Cook (not sure maybe Cash??) 93.

o

We didn't consult our kids, but we did have a working title for our firstborn that drove our parents crazy because they thought we were serious about that as a name for our child.

o

As an aside my Dad wanted to name me Sadie...guess what my maiden name is ????? Yep , there is a day celebrated in honor of that name. My Mom said absolutely NOT !! This was 1950. And I had NO trouble finding a husband :) Thank goodness.

As it happens Feb 29th is the unofficial SH Day !! So go propose to your sweetheart .

Here is a link that might be useful: sadie

o

My Father has an audio tape of him interviewing me at age 4 on the people in My family. I named him, my mom, my brother, my dog, and then said "Little Christine." My mom was expecting, but we didn't know the sex. I insisted on calling her belly Christine the whole time she was pregnant. When she gave birth , it was a girl, and guess what they named her? Christine. I have no recollection of this at all, only what I've heard on the audio tape.

My own children- the girls are exactly 2 years apart, so my oldest was still a baby herself, and no we didn't consult her. When baby #3 came a few years later, it was a boy and we named him after DH. Much to my MIL's chagrin who insisted we should name him after FIL. Which I was having no part of. My FIL is not very fond of me, and the thought of naming my sweet baby after him was not what I wanted.

o

Terrik, Zelda is my mothers name too but she was born long before the video game. :c)

I only have the one, but she always wanted to rename herself Jane.

o

We chose two names for son #2 and let our oldest choose which one came first. lol My youngest is so glad his brother chose properly.

o

We narrowed it down to two names, Caroline and Abigail. We told our four year old that she could choose between the two and she picked Abigial. About a week after the baby was born my four year old asked, "Can we call her Caroline now?". :)

o

No way! I spend forever on names. I am way too picky.

o

My older DS was 3 when his brother was born. He very seriously wanted to name him Spiderman.

We did not take his advice.

Even though they were 5 and 8 when their sister came along, I don't remember either of them showing any interest in what her name would be. I'm glad because I had enough trouble with DH, negotiating names.

o

My 2 yo nephew always referred to the yet-to-be-born sibling at Pansy. We couldn't figure out where he got that name. He was actually disappointed that they didn't use it. To pacify him, they named a doll that the baby received Pansy.

Neighbors of mine had 2 older boys and when she was pregnant for the 3rd time she just assumed she'd get a 3rd boy. They referred to the yet-to-be-born baby as Tim. Naturally, it was a girl and the brothers wouldn't give up the name so it became her family nickname.

o

I named my youngest brother. Dennis. After Dennis the Menace.

7th child, our parents ran out of ideas.

ML

o

My older son did not notice that my younger son was there until DS#2 was old enough to want to hold the remote control. I named both of them, with input from my husband.

o

Java, our mirrors were made in the same year, 1993! Just checked and mine is signed, "Jimmy Romero/ Santa Fe, New Mexico/ May 18, 1993".

o

Anele consults her cyber-friends on GW for names ;)

o

polly - That's what I thought when I saw anele's answer! Well, anele, at least you consulted "grownups"!

Lynn - I guess mine is a cheap knock-off! I had visions of retirement...

o

Nah . . . probably just two artists in Santa Fe making similar mirrors. Ours can be "cousins" :~)

o

At four years old, my youngest dd decided her own name didn't suit her and started telling everyone her name was Mimi. She insisted that her preschool teachers call her Mimi and would introduce herself as such. I still don't know where she even heard the name. The odd part is that Mimi does suit her better than the name I picked. She grew out of it, but we still laugh about it.

o

Nope. I'm deadly, deadly serious about names and wouldn't let anyone else choose--even DH.

Nicknames are another thing. They've nicknamed each other plenty over the years...and DH has had his way, there, too.

o

Polly, I sure did! But, I consulted online for 2 of my other kids, and never took any of the suggestions. Actually, I even felt guilty asking for help here because I thought it was in vain since I am so picky.

Can't even tell you how glad I am that I did ask for help here . . .will always be thankful to you for Paulina's name. Did I tell you that my mom stumbled upon some family records, and was thrilled to see that there is a Paulina in our family history? Big coincidence!

o

My sister had a friend with four little boys under age five, and when they had a fifth, they let the 4 boys name him....... and it was "Ernie". I told her they were lucky it wasn't Big Bird....

There is a girl on a neighboring competing swim team whose name is "Enuf" -she is the youngest of nine. I mean, honestly, can you believe that? I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't spoken to her and been told the story directly. Fortunately, she goes by "Nuffy" which isn't quite as bad, but honestly!

o

Oh, that's awful. I think it's bad enough that one of the Idol contestants is Philip Phillips.

o

My daughter played softball with a girl named Daiquiri. It was actually spelled differently (I can't remember how), but was pronounced the same as the drink. I'm thinking perhaps Daiquiris played a role in her conception

o

Terriks, I had a student named Tequila.

o

One of my friends dated a guy (and not a nice one) named Richard Dick....

o

In college there was a girl in my dorm whose first name was Iva. She was dating s guy named Stanley Dick. She said they could never get married.....!

o

Dedtired, that would have been unfortunate! I thought dick dick was bad enough. And he lived down to the name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here