Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Who recommended the book "How not to Look Old"?

tinam61
10 years ago

I know it came up in a thread recently and I purchased the book. It is very interesting reading. Thank you to whoever mentioned the book.

Just wondering who wears make-up primer? I used to wear a product by Benefit Cosmetics that was somewhat of a primer - I would wear it in our hot/humid months. But that was before I started wearing mineral make-up. I do not wear heavy make-up at all - or tons of make-up. But one product the author highly promotes is primer. I will have to look again to see the one she swears by (Smashbox?). She also suggests cream blush as we get older and I am going to try that.

Anyone else have this book?

tina

Comments (68)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

This might be fun if you want to experiment with a few things. I'm thinking of getting it.

***msrose - love the yard is correct - and as for not looking old, she made it a point to be her own best advertising. Still, she was way too young.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smashbox Try It Kit

• thankurnmo
    10 years ago

this is all new to me but I know I need to do something. I do use moisturizer at nite but I guess I need more. Msrose- iare you using Lanacane on your face??
    Inquiring minds need to know. I am thinking that tinted moisturizer sounds good as does the cream blush. It's interesting as I have noticed with everyone's facebook pix that some have a nice glow - which I most definitely do not, and maybe it's the cream blush I am missing......................

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I was using a gentle exfoliating wash everyday. It just wasn't enough. I now use a more powerful one every other day. My skin is never red or irritated from exfoliating. People seem afraid to do it. Of course you need to take care and start slowly. I just had a professional facial and was told my skin looks great. She asked me what I use! The esthetician said she is considering starting to use coconut oil on her face. I'm going to try that to. I use it on the rest of my body already.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Now that my skin is in its 49th winter, suddenly a million lines have cropped up on my face, mostly around my eyes and in between my eyes like on the bridge of my nose. I hardly recognize myself! I actually got a free sample of a primer from the Laura Mercier counter when I bought a foundation with "more coverage" than my go-to LM tinted moisturizer...hated the foundation because it settled right into every pore and line on my face...but maybe I need to actually try that primer!

Love how this group is a resource for all types of beauty tips for home and face!

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahaha Funky!! One thing I read in the book that I have tried to do and totally agree with is to get your skin in the best condition possible. That makes a big difference and will actually help you to use the least amount of makeup, etc. I use a retinal product at night and a retinal eye cream. I have exfoliated for years. It makes a major difference in your skin. I use a creamy exfoliater a few times a week and on days I don't use it, I use a facial brush (electric, can't think of the name).

I ordered a large size sample of the smashbox primer off Amazon. Will see how I like it!

Lanacane used as a primer? Does it have silicone? Apparently that is the major ingredient for these primers. I liked some of the added ingredients listed on the smashbox primers (and boy do they have a variety of primers!). I would take a close look at what else is in the lanacane before using on my face.

tina

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Tinam61 it's lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel
    NOT the Anti Itch cream...
    Monastat also makes one.

I found many reviews on YouTube for both.

I'm game ~Off to CVS.

I do have to mention that there was a thread about BB Creams
    They kind-of failed for me (Maybe I needed the primer !).

Forgot the ingredients of Lanacane for tina:
    Lanacaneî Anti-Chafing Gel is made with the following ingredients: cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone crosspolymer, dimethicone / vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, zea mays (corn) starch.

This post was edited by forboystoo on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 15:31

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Smashbox contains all of the Lanacane ingredients - minus the corn starch - and more:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water/Aqua/Eau, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract

I'm reading this thread with interest.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

DHC Velvet Coat:

cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, vinyl dimethicone/methicone silsesquioxane crosspolymer, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica

• msrose
    10 years ago

sheilaaus122 - I just read about the Lanacane yesterday, so I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to look for it the next time I go to Walmart.

Okay, so what are the best primers for your eyes? Especially those with oily skin?

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting! I wonder about the fragrance for all of these - my skin can be sensitive. We'll see what happens with the smashbox.

msrose, I use a clinque product for my eyes - it's the one for undereye circles, but is also an eye cream and works as a base for eye make-up. Since it moisturizes, I'm not sure how it would be for oily skin. It works well for me. My skin is fairly normal but leans to the dry side.

• jshore
    10 years ago

I'm curious as to what everyone uses to exfoliate. Is it some kind of scrub? I use the Clarisonic Mia, but the exfoliating products I've tried are either too harsh or completely ineffective. Love these posts on beauty products.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I have a St. Ives (cheap, from CVS) scrub that I keep in the shower and try to use about once a week, but usually forget!

I also bought an exfoliating mask from a day spa a while back. I think I'm supposed to use it twice a week, but again, I forget.

I don't know if you need to use a separate exfoliating scrub if you're using the Mia. Doesn't that basically do the same thing? I'm not sure. I have the Mia too, but I don't use it every day. I am the laziest person on earth when it comes to pre-bedtime "prep." Usually I just brush my teeth and wash my face quickly with Cetaphil. That's right, I can't seem to spare the ONE MINUTE it takes to wash my face with the Mia. Pathetic. I should just do it after dinner, when I'm more awake!

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I use a mia plus an exfoliating scrub. When I got my mia (or whichever one it is - I can't remember!) it came with a little sample tube of scrub. It did work well together. However, what I now do is use a scrub a few days a week and use the mia on alternate days. The scrub I have (I'm sorry, I'm not at home and can't remember the brand) is fairly grainy and although it is not too harsh for my skin, I think it does a bit more than the mia. I tend to get flaky and exfoliating really does make my skin look better. Gets the dead stuff off which can really make your skin look dull. I exfoliate in the mornings. At night I wash with cetaphil and use my retinal product.

tina

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Lol, tina, I have had the book for a few years now and was probably the one who recommended it. She wrote a great book about accessorizing and wardrobe planning called terms of adornment, which I still like. I was very sorry to hear of her passing, she was an intelligent woman with incredible powers of observation.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks KSWL! Someone mentioned the book in the last couple of weeks - can't remember what thread. I've not seen the accessorizing thread, but I know she wrote one on how to look slimmer or something to that effect - how to dress slimmer.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I use St. Ives timeless scrub every other day in the shower. On the other days I use a copy cat of oil of olay gentle exfoliating wash.

• jshore
    10 years ago

Okay, thanks for information about scrubs. I think the St Ives one I had was a little too harsh, I'll look for the timeless one. I have a L'Occitane scrub, but it's very gentle and doesn't seem to do much. I have a tendency towards broken capillaries, so I don't want to use something too abrasive, either.

I am like you, Sueb, I am pretty lazy at bedtime. Between removing the contacts, removing and re-inserting my Invisaligns, a quick washing is all I'm up for. I recently started using Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate, and I like how it makes my face feel so much, it's my motivation.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I tried the St. Ives once and since I had used retinol, it burned like crazy. I say that because DD, who has more sensitive skin uses it regularly, and has never had a problem. I haven't tried any others since, but 'frost' my face like a cake w/Ponds Cold Cream at least twice a week. I place a steamy wash cloth on my face and 'mush' it around, getting all the cream off~rinse the cloth and repeat twice. My skin is as soft as a baby's behind afterwards! I then apply night cream. At the moment i'm trying No.7, a UK product from Target

As for the book, I like to think we all know how to 'play up' our assets, and try to make those 'assets' less desirable not as noticeable. I'm very hard on myself, and feel I sometimes overdo the criticism.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I have read a lot that scrubs are actually not good for you. Maybe it is just if you have senstive skin? Since I have started using the oil cleansing method of "washing" your face, I have not felt the need for a scrub at all. I can't believe the gunk it gets out. Probably not as good overall as really good (read expensive and chemical) products, but really good compared to expensive natural products if that makes sense. I am just one of those nuts trying to cut out chemicals.

I am sure I am breaking every other rule in the book. I should probably get it. :( :)

• legomom23
    10 years ago

I've used a scrub for a long time. There's something about my skin. It can't slough off old cells especially around my nose.
    I just started using this one a few months ago and it is by far my favorite of all the brands I have tried.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caudalie

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

I've never really used an exfoliate except on my arms and legs. Any recommended brands for the face?

Boop, would you explain your oil cleansing method of washing your face? Are you saying you cleanse your face with oil such as coconut orwhat and how?

Great topic!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

mammie,

I have a link to my pinterest board on oil cleansing below. It has a few articles that really helped me decide which oils to use and what to do.

I use a a combination of grapeseed oil, castor oil, jojoba oil and seabuckthorn oil. I put it on my face either at night or in the shower, rub it in, leave it on a few minutes then use a hot washcloth to steam/wipe it off.

I have tried a few things as a moisturizer after and have settled on the product from sephora (an oil mostuirizer) in the attached link. I could probably make it myself but havent tried yet.

I do want to try something extra for my eyes and have read that coconut oil is good for that. I have some but have not tried it yet.

I have also read a lot about ACV for your face (and hair) but am worried my skin is to sensitive for that.

Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oil Cleansing

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Have you all ever had the monthly makeup and beauty subscription boxes? I love them!

Once a month I get a Beauty Box 5, and Birchbox. One is $10/mo., the other is $12.00/mo.

I've found a lot of new products and I haven't had to buy any moisturizer this winter, and I go through what seems like pounds of it.

These boxes are like a little present I get once a month.

They are sample sizes but a bit bigger, some are full size.

I've received perfume, all types of makeup, cute hair bands....and tea bags. I love getting a new moisturizer every month since I go through a lot of it.

I also like the eye syrums. And Burberry is one of my favorite scents now.

They're my monthly treat. :)

• msrose
    10 years ago

I went to Walmart today, but I couldn't find the Lanacane

forboystoo, did you find it at CVS? If so, what area was it in? I looked near the lotions and bengay. I couldn't figure out where else it would be.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I could not find at CVS.
    Both the Lanacane and Monistat where at Walgreens though.
    The Monastat was with the feminine care products and the Lanacane was with the jock itch stuff.
    They are both labeled as "anti-chafing gel".
    I would really hate to get it wrong !!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I don't use a foundation, because out here at this elevation and light clarity (we're at 6,000 ft above sea level) most every kind of foundation and powder shows.
    All I use is Neutrogena moisturizer with a good sunblock and a little blush and undereye highlighter, plus mascara and lipstick.

A while back I bought a tube of Sarah McNamara's Miracle Skin Transformer with a 20 spf at Costco. It's supposed to be a tinted primer, but I'm not impressed.
    Do primers do any good if you don't use a foundation over them?

My sis swears by some "miracle" pressed powder by Pur (?) that she swears makes her instantly look 10 years younger. She used to use the loose Bare Minerals powder but says she'll never go back now that she's found this new company. I need to find out the exact name, but she buys hers at Ulta down in Atlanta.
    Lynn

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Lynn, I swear by pressed powder. It could be because of my skin tone, but one application makes my skin look almost flawless. And you can't look at me and see powder. I don't look weighed down in makeup at all.

I've used several brands of powder, from $$$$ to $, and found that $ works just as well. As many professional makeup artists will tell you.

Powder & light blush are great when you need to make a quick trip into town.

When I get dressed up I use a cream powder. The coverage is better than foundation and it's still light.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn - I bet she is talking about the Pur powder that is mineral make-up. I've not tried that brand (I'm not one to switch around, I find something I like/that works and stick with it), but I love mineral make-up. It's not really like wearing foundation at all.

tina

Here is a link that might be useful: pur powder/mineral make-up

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Thanks Oakley and Tina! You've talked me into trying it. Just talked to DD, as the university is closed today because of snow and ice (did you get that, too,Oakley?). She's happy I'm finally giving in, as she thinks I'm still stuck with a surfer girl/beach girl no make-up look mentality after all these years (LOL)! She wants me to wait until she gets home here on Spring Break on the 13th, though, so that she can go with me to make sure I pick out the right color. Haha!
    Lynn

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll be anxious to see how you like it Lynn. Do you have Sephora or Ulta there? We have both now. The salespeople at Sephora are so helpful and so knowledgeable.

I cannot use pressed powder - although I think this pur powder/makeup is going to be different - but regular pressed powder I don't use. Of course I use mineral make-up which is like loose powder but it is put on differently. It's all in the brush, and the application. You do have to make sure you moisturize well before using mineral make-up or at least those of us over a certain age! I can see where it could easily look dry. One think I think you might like about the mineral make-up is most have a natural sunscreen - many have zinc oxide as an ingredient.

Let us know what you get and how you like it!

tina

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Tina, we have both here but since DD gave me a gift certificate to Ulta for my birthday, we'll go there for it. Thanks for the heads up about using a good moisturizer under it. I'll do that!
    Lynn

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

oakley, I'm intrigued by those beauty boxes, I"m going to try them , thanks for that suggestion.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Oakley......Im curious about the pressed powders....are these new pressed powders or the same as our mom's used to put on over foundation....like in old movies when you see a woman pull out her compact..lol.

What brand do you use? TIA....

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I also use Monistat's Anti-Chafing gel for a primer. For foundation, I use Bare Mineralsâ¦at least when I wear makeup. I'm a stay-at-home mom and only wear makeup occasionally.

I have dry/oily skin, fair complexion with freckles and large pores. Exfoliation and deep hydration are where I experiment! I use Wal-Mart's knock off of St. Ives scrub or baking soda when I shower and (don't shoot me) Vaseline jelly for hydration. It's the only thing that works!
    I found an Olay ProX even skin tone kit on clearance today, so am experimenting with that.

At 44, I'm going to have to take care of the eye area too.

• msrose
    10 years ago

forboystoo - Thanks for the tip on Monistat. I missed that it was similar to Lanacane. I was able to find it at Walmart. It feels good on my hand, so I can't wait to try it on my face.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Msrose~ Let me know what you think. I haven't really noticed a difference but that may be that I'm not the type to take a critical look at my face through-out the day.
    Besides, I think it's time that I start looking for a new foundation.

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

I've tried the Smashbox primer and felt it was ok. I've also used the Monistat stuff in the past and felt it was comparable. I won't buy Smashbox primer again. I don't use a primer most days. Setting sprays are also an option, but I don't wear them either.

For pore filler, I like Benefit's Porefessional. You can use it under or over makeup. It makes sense to me to use it over in any areas you need it. (I actually use it over my foundation and under my highlight. ) It doesn't make pores disappear, but does diffuse them.

I've found that I really like using organic extra virgin coconut oil on my face.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shee - I posted an update to my primer post. You are probably young enough that your skin doesn't need any "smoothing out". LOL I've never tried a setting spray. I only have one enlarged poor and I did try something else from Benefit that minimized your pores, but it also seemed to dry my skin. The primer does more than just make that one pore invisible. I'm going to keep using it for now. Will see what happens once it gets hot and humid here.

I've not tried the coconut oil. I wouldn't mind trying it. Is it too heavy for day-time use, under make-up? I don't want to get up my retinal night cream.

tina

• RoseAbbey
    10 years ago

tina, coconut oil is too much for daytime imo. It makes my face quite shiney but I love using it, is a great source of vitamin E. I alternate nights between using trention cream alone and mixture of coconut oil with vitamin c serum and hyaluronic acid.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rose - that is a good idea! Do you make your own mix of coconut oil/vitamin c serum/hyaluronic acid? Thanks for the info!

• RoseAbbey
    10 years ago

Tina, I buy 3 products and layer them on my face. First vitamin c, then hyaluronic acid ( I read that the hyaluronic acid actually pushes the vitamin C deeper into the skin layers and also helps pull moisture into skin) then coconut oil on top. I apply all over my face and neck including under my eyes and also back of my hands. I have noticed that I use less moisturizer now then when I first started because my skin is hydrated and more plump. My finger nails have a nice shine to them also from the coconut oil...it is amazing stuff. Great for eating too!

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Rose - what brand vitamin C and h-acid do you get and where?

tina

• RoseAbbey
    10 years ago

I use cellex C serum, have for over 20 years now, which I order on line, but I am looking for another brand which I could buy in store, so if you know of any good ones, let me know. The hydraluronic acid is called hydraluron from indeed laboratories which I buy at the drug store.

• Rosarugosa1
    10 years ago

I also use the cellex C serum with the hyaluronic acid on top. I have used it for a little over a month. My husband says my skin looks better. I am still trying to fix it after a bad IPL facial experience. I think the cellex is doing something, they say it takes about 2 - 3 months to see the topical vitamin C really work. It is expensive stuff so it better work miracles!

• dawnp
    10 years ago

Great thread! I wanted to comment on the exfoliation topic.

I have a Mia that I use regularly but I recently added an Alpha hydroxy acid cream (10%) to my routine and I cannot believe how much smoother my skin feels! I wash my face at night with a washcloth and apply the cream to sleep. It is not expensive and I am so pleased with the results. My skin is so so smooth. I still use the Mia but in the shower in the morning. I used to use the scrubs but again, Alpha Hydroxy seems t work better and is my new best friend.

I found this brand at TJ Maxx and will provide the link but any brand would be fine. It's the percentage concentration that matters. Check out the reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alpha Hydroxy Cream

• RoseAbbey
    10 years ago

Rosa, where do you buy your cellex c and how much do you pay?

• Rosarugosa1
    10 years ago

It comes from my dermatologist. It is the Vitamin C plus the hyaluronic acid so it is two little bottles and (gulp) it costs $200. I see it online for a bit less but you hear about counterfeit and expired product being sold online. If you know a less expensive but reputable source I'd love to know!

• RoseAbbey
    10 years ago

Wow that is expensive, I thought I was paying alot. I buy mine from The Shopping Channel. A couple of times of year they put it on sale, so I try to stock up

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/search/cellex%20c

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

It's probably best for night. I've tried it a couple ways. I've applied it to my entire face during the day, left it soak in for a while, and blotted my t-zone to get excess off then went about my makeup. Some days this was fine and others I ended up shiny.

I've also tried very lightly applying it just to my cheekbones that seemed extra dry those days, then put on my makeup. This seemed to work better.

My skin is combination oily/normal in the summer and ends up usually normal/dry by the time the brutal winter kicks full force.

• Rosarugosa1
    10 years ago

roseabbey, that is a great deal from The Shopping Channel. Has anyone tried Nectifirm by Revision? I am in love with the product and have seen big improvements to the firmness and smoothness of the skin on my neck.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm