Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
light over kitchen sink

Posted by sheesharee (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 13:55

What type of light do you have over your kitchen sink? If it's a pendant light, how tall are your ceilings and how far does it light hang? I was going to buy a pendant light but saw photos of semi flush lights and now am considering those.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: light over kitchen sink

Semi-flush. I think a pendant light could be annoying if you were looking out the window.

Before you buy anything, make sure the fixture will hold the wattage you want. I like 100w above the sink, and some fixtures don't have that.

o

I have a can light. I don't really like pendants because they are just another thing to wash and dust.

o

I have a pendant and a 9' ceiling. It is not annoying at all and it brings the source of light closer to where you need it.

GF also chose a pendant over her sink. It's really lovely.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 20:36

o

This is one of those things I never gave any thought to. My saved kitchen inspiration photos all have different styles. I suppose I'll need to go through more pics to figure this out.

Fun2be - I did think about a can light as it seemed like a simple solution, but I don't have any other can lighting and don't want to start adding a bunch (I'll have to make more decisions where to put them, lol). This project has already morphed into something bigger than I planned, IYKWIM. Would one can light, or two smaller, look strange above the sink if they were the only ones?

Oakely - I need to look up the placement guidelines for lighting above the sink. I'm finding out there are some pendant styles I don't care for and other styles that just won't look right in my house. I also need to take my other lighting into consideration. I've been thinking of changing those out too, but can't justify it. I don't think that's going to happen unless I stumble upon something second hand I fall in love with. Ah, decisions!

Annie - Thanks for posting those photos! Looks good!

o

We have a corner sink with a corner cabinet above it so our light is an under cabinet light. Which I'm sure is not much help, but I will say whatever you do make sure to check the bulbs available for it so you'll have plenty of light when working at your sink.

o

Part of the recessed light scheme.

o

Is your sink in front of a window with upper cabinets on either side? If so, I don't think a recessed can would look out of place necessarily, but it's hard to know without seeing your kitchen. What other light sources do you have in your kitchen?

o

When we had our kitchen gutted and redone, I had my heart set on a particular pendant light from Hudson Valley Lighting, in their Randolph line. I have a corner sink with windows on either side and was originally concerned with it being blown around by our mountain breezes. But, as it came with a stabilizing rod instead of a chain, this has been no problem at all. I'm thinking the ceiling in there is 11 feet high. I absolutely love it and am so glad I went with my gut and bought it.
Lynn
Love Our Views! photo NewSinkArea.jpg
Hudson Valley Lighting, Randolph line photo 366_zps067957dc.jpg

edited to add that I had a rheostat put on the light. Love it!

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 12:13

o

Fun - Yes, there are cabinets on both sides of the window. We have under cabinet lights and a double light over the island. The DR and kitchen are open together and we also have a chandelier above the table.

Lynn - Your home is so pretty. I love those windows, the view, and that glorious light that pours in! Thanks for posting the info and photo.

o

Annie, I haven't had a kitchen sink window since my second home, a semi custom and one of my favorite. I choose to do a lantern style fixture on the side of each cabinet. What I chose and looked(to me!)English style-like lanterns, what you might see in a Olde English cottage. They were antique brass, about 10" or 11" tall, 6 sided w/amber glass, a round shape, and had a slight point on the top with a circle, which looked as though they should be hung. In the evening they were beautiful, the amber glass casting a warm glow. Needless to say, I have never forgotten that kitchen, and hopefully can re-create it when I decide to build/purchase a re-sale, and downsize to something smaller. It's very unique and IMO, perfect for your beautiful kitchen!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here