Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else plan shopping during Superbowl Sunday?

Posted by peegee (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 13:15

DD and I usually plan an outing as the stores are pretty quiet....anyone else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else plan shopping during Superbowl Sunday?

The malls are deserted on Superbowl Sunday. Found that out by accident several years ago.

But do watch out for stores that close early, so that employees can get home to watch the game. Even the big anchor stores in my local mall close an hour or two early that day.

I have to go to a christening, so I won't be shopping. I will have to listen to the complaints of many of the guests about the timing of the event, even though we will all have plenty of time to get home before the game itself starts. Apparently, missing the pre-game shows is a big deal.

I will be watching the Puppy Bowl. Unless I'm watching the Kitten Bowl. Or watching a Doctor Who marathon. I haven't decided. I do have the snacks ready.

o

No game for me, or shopping either. Got things to do.

o

Yes! I am in the Seattle area and went plant shopping (Spring fever) during the last playoff game. It was divine! Not only the emptiness of the stores and restaurants but the traffic (which is usually horrendous in Seattle) was so light as to be non-existent!

So, back to Seattle I go on Sunday, but am worried some of the smaller places might be closed. It's crazy. I wish people got so excited about something worthwhile.

o

No I'll be on my way to St. Thomas USVI for a business meeting - woohoo. Can't wait to get away from the snow and cold.

o

I would rank these activities in this order:
Go to St Thomas with Gibby
Go to a mall
Go plant shopping
Help Oldfixer
Do just about anything else
Be in a room with a tv on to the game

I find the whole thing tedious and uninteresting. I don't need anything or I'd take advantage of the empty stores and go shopping. I'll probably read. Maybe I'll watch Downton Abbey instead of recording it.

o

Well, since we dont have television I will certainly not be watching the Super Bowl, but I would not watch it if I did have tv service. In fact, if it was held in my backyard I would not bother to glance out the window. Today is the Easter Sunday of the Church of the NFL for the faithful, and I guess the malls will all be deserted, but since we don't have a mall either I will just have to stay home and read a book :-)

o

What kills me is that some of the same stores that made their employees go to work on Thanksgiving day are letting those same employees out an hour or two early for a football game.

o

While I live in the shopping mecca of the southwest suburbs of Chicago I will stay home to catch the commercials. They surely will be discussed at work Monday morning. Oh and Bruno Mars is part of the half time show!

o

I made the mistake of food shopping at Costco on a Saturday one day before Super Bowl and lived to tell the story. In my fifty three years on this planet I have never come across so many rude people in one spot. I had to double check myself to make sure I really wasn’t invisible.

o

We love Colorado and have been fans of the Denver Broncos for thirty years, so we can't wait for the big game!

A side note:
I'm so sorry to hear of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman's death.
Very sad and a waste of a great talent.
(Reported drug overdose.)

o

Oh No -- I didn't know that he died -- he's one of my favorites. So sad. So much talent.

o

Camlan - such an interesting point about some employers and Thanksgiving vs Superbowl. ! I'm heartened to hear that for some others nearly anything else also sounds more appealing, as with all the hype it sometimes feels like DD and I are the only ones totally disinterested. LOL at Kswl, "if it was held in my backyard I would not bother to glance out the window." !!

o

KSWL used that phrase one before, years ago, and I've adopted it since then. Love it. Perfectly sums up my interest level.

For years we attended a SB party, which was nice for catching up with a few people I only saw at that party. There were plenty of other people like me who weren't interested in the game. Over the years the crowd has dwindled and the food has suffered so I wasn't looking forward to it this year. Luckily, the host canceled.

Here are other popular things I don't think are interesting:
Any sporting event, including the Olmypics
Award shows
Reality shows

Here is something I do seem to like
Making lists

o

Am keeping DH company while he watches.....will make dinner in a few minutes and we'll eat during the halftime show. Could care less about the game and sports in general. Hoping to see some good commercials and like Bruno Mars, but am otherwise surfing the net and reading the paper. And praying we get the predicted snow overnight so I don't have to work tomorrow!

o

Not shopping…watching our Seahawks, but it totally stresses me out!! I have to take breaks. Would I be heartbroken if I missed it? No...

o

Well, I just got back from plant shopping and it was surreal. The freeway between Seattle and Olympia looks as if something apocalyptic happened - there were virtually NO cars for long stretches. And I figured all the law enforcement folks were parked someplace watching or listening to the game - didn't see one patrol car anywhere.

My friend and I were the ONLY customers in a HUGE garden/nursery center after the game started. Then we stopped along the way home to get coffee and there were no customers at one of the largest Starbucks in the area- 3 baristas all to ourselves.

I think the superbowl with the local team playing might now be my favorite day, because everything else is MINE! Now if I could only figure out how to make that $350 pine tree I found mine.

o

Lol, Hhireno, I am repeating myself :-)

o

Olychick - Our experience at Homegoods and a few other stores was surreal to us, too, from the nearly empty parking lots to more employees than shoppers. No waiting - no lines. Was great!

o

I went to a superbowl Party, with the emphasis on Party. There was a game going on in the background, but lots more conversations and eating going on in the foreground. The party was fun, but most people left to watch Downton Abbey.

o

AFTER the game in our neighborhood, fireworks, people out cheering…pretty fun!

o

I had a nap :)

o

Oh dear...my 2nd religion...the NFL, is taking a beating here!

Was my weekend to work. Store was pretty slow today!
DW is like most of you! Doesn't care much about the game!

It was fun watching Seattle dismantle Peyton & the Broncos though!

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here