Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Pinterest: Am really liking it lately!

violetwest
10 years ago

Just a couple of comments on one of my favorite time-wasters:

--the more boards you "follow," the more your feed will reflect your interests (but you do have to "unfollow" the boards that creep in there from Pinterest itself)

--I'm also really liking the "related pins" feature, which I think is fairly new; it's not easy to notice because you have to scroll down to the bottom

Comments (8)

• luckygal
    10 years ago

When I search Pinterest for a particular topic I often end up all over the internet clicking from one site and topic to another! Takes willpower to quit! LOL

I'll watch for the related pins feature. I usually just click around ...and around ...and around! :D

I don't want to join Pinterest so find it annoying when it tries to get me to join and won't let me in otherwise. I've found to avoid that I never try to go to Pinterest main page but google a topic and include the word Pinterest. Brings me to a member's site with that topic and I can then search whatever topic I want.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Violet, I have trouble with the repetition generated by Pinterest. It seems like everyone pins many of the same pictures related to a specific topic. Do you know a way to get around that?

• Jules
    10 years ago

I use Pinterest constantly but rarely view my feed. It's been so helpful as we build for the third time. I no longer have to "pin" to a word doc like I did in 1997 and 2002 when we built our first two homes.

The vast majority of my pins aren't generated from Pinterest but rather decor blogs, houzz, retail sites, etc. I see a detail or item I like and pin it so I can show my contractor or so I can view my shopping cart (of sorts) at a later time. When visiting our construction site, my builder and subs know that Julie's going to be whipping out her ipad to show them pinterest photos.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

There are some fun boards on there, but it was far better when first started. It eludes me how many pin half a dozen of the same pic. Well, not elude me, they get credit from the original source by doing this. The more you pin, the more the original gets counts for liking/visiting. The pin option is on every blog, retail site, etc. I don't like being taken in a circle when selecting the resource below a pic, irritating, and being taken to a retail/ad site. A lot of the boards really need to be cleaned up.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the repetition doesn't overly bother me -- I just disregard pins I've seen before. Just like any site (this one included) it has its annoying quirks, but I think it's better than it was before.

I make every effort to pin from original sources wherever possible. It used to be that it would be hard to visit the original source, and you'd just be re-routed endlessly to other pinners, but they fixed that, putting the original source on all pins. So, if I'm interested, I just go there and look at the source and pin from there. I pay little attention to gaining followers or whatever. I also upload and pin my own photos, which make them unique. It's so gratifying when people like or repin my own original photos.

So, I say, "I pin sparingly but like generously." A like gets recorded and you can go back and browse the liked pin, then look at the related pins.

I also appreciate that with use, the feed conforms to your interests.

Some of you were kind enough to look at my southwest board -- here's a link to my stuff should you be interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Violet's Pinterest

• sweet_tea_
    10 years ago

I use it strictly as as easy was to visually manage my ideas for building. I'm not a social networking kinda person, and resisted my friends and family urging me to sign up on pinterest for over a year. But the fact is, there is no easier way to visually organize ideas and information for a build. It's so much more convenient than bookmarks on the computer. I don't use it to follow friends or family really. I use it only for myself. I don't usually search pinterest, because it can be rather redundant, but usually pin things from houzz or blogs. The "pin it" tab on my bookmark bar comes in handy when I see something I want to remember for later. Whatever it may be, shopping items, couches, ideas for my builder, ect. Honestly, I would hate to try to organize building a house without it.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Violet, thank you for the additional tips on how to use Pinterest effectively.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

My Pinterest account and accounts of friends were compromised the other day - what the heck????? Pinterest contacted us and recommended a password change which I did and I also deleted the money scam board that had been added to my other boards.. However, today my niece received an email from me/Pinterest and unfortunately clicked the link in the bogus message.

Just goes to show, nothing is safe and even what we think of as innocent internet fun is subject to people figuring out a way to ruin it. :-(

Be careful out there people.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner