Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

strange thing with cookies

ms-thrifty
10 years ago

bought 2 packs of those refrigerated dough Tool House chocolate chip cookies to quickly bake for super bowl. While they were baking they did not exude the baking cookie smell as usual, but at the time didn't really register that..Then DH came in the kitchen to take one off the cooling rack, and made a funny face saying these don't taste right! So I tasted one and he was right,,strange taste, sort of like weird greese, and a bit metallic. DH said maybe something wrong with the cookie sheet, so the next batch on a different kind of cookie sheet and they were the same.. Exp date on package said Feb. 28, 2014. So they went back to the store and got refund.
Have bought these lots of times in the past for a quickie little something for a take away dessert and never had anything like this happen before!

Comments (7)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

How long has it been since you've made them? I ask because as we become more educated about food choices and particularly pre-packaged and processed foods and eat fresher, higher quality, less processed foods, our tastes change. Perhaps it's been a while since you've had them and you are now more accustomed to fresher, more natural ingredients? Take a look at the ingredient/nutrition label - it might tell you why you weren't pleased. In addition, I can 'taste' plastic in a lot of foods that are wrapped and stored in certain kinds of plastic and that might be an issue for you also. It often imparts a very chemical taste to me.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I just made a package yesterday - the regular chocolate chip kind. They were as tasty as usual.

Perhaps there was an error in manufacture or they weren't kept properly refrigerated. I once bought a container of Breyer's mint chocolate chip ice cream that didn't have any chocolate chips in it. Those things do happen.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

We purchased a "tub" sized batch of cookie dough and the same brand of per shaped cookies from neighbor boy for a fundraiser. They weren't fit to eat and I tossed all of it in the trash. My boys wouldn't even eat the cookies.

I've never had this problem with the grocery brands (yet).

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Yep, sometimes something goes wrong in the processing and it's not caught by the QC. Good thing you got your $ back.

This post was edited by pesky1 on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 10:29

• redcurls
    10 years ago

Only good cookies anymore are homemade ones. I think a lot of foods have changed because the government no longer allows companies to add some of the ingredients that used to make things tasty....

Tried any fast foods lately? Same thing. I think a lot of the ban has to do with trans fats. Seems like the people who didnt know how to eat things in moderation and became obese or had other eating related health problems has caused our government to decide no one can/should have it.

Another bad tasting ingredient that is way overused and I can easily taste (though many cannot) is High Fructose Corn Syrup which is used to sweeten things at less cost. The CONSUMER doesn't pay less, but the manufacturer's make more profit.

I am making more and more goodies from scratch nowadays. Cannot stand a cake made from a box anymore. I recently made up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, rolled them into small balls, and stored them in a Zip Lok bag in the freezer. Twice I have taken out a dozen cookies, baked them (frozen) for 13 minutes and have had a really nice treat for the grandkids.

• User
    10 years ago

I thought you were going to say the strange thing about cookies is that they whisper your name as you walk by the plate....

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

Try this recipe. These are the BEST chocolate chip cookies ever, I will never make another kind.

I have found with the Kitchenaid Mixer, it is just as easy to make cookies from scratch as it is to buy these pre-packaged things.