Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this cheesecake recipe sound familir to anyone?

Posted by msrose (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 9:05

I know this is probably a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd try. I used to go to a family owned Cajun restaurant about 30 years ago and they had their version of cheesecake. They made it in a 9x13 casserole dish and it was softer and creamier than normal cheesecake, kind of like pudding texture. I found a recipe recently that was in a 9x13 and had sour cream added to it, but it still had the same firm texture as cheesecake. Does anyone have a recipe that you think would be the one I'm talking about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this cheesecake recipe sound familir to anyone?

You may want to check www.allrecipes.com. I thought that all home made cheese cake recipes had cream cheese in them though. Ha! I don't make it very often but I guess that makes it obvious that I use the box version when I do. :c)

o

The recipe I tried had cream cheese, but it also had sourcream. I thought that might give it a softer texture, but it didn't.

o

Did you google the name of the restaurant and cheesecake? Might be a shot in the dark, but I'd try....

o

Did you ask over on the cooking forum?

o

Didn't know we had a cooking forum. Thanks!

jmc01 - It's been so long ago that I don't even remember the name of the restaurant. Wish I did!

o

The texture sounds like the "instant" cheesecake that people make in a pie pan. The recipe is inside the Cream Cheese box, or it used to be.

The texture is soft but sliceable. No sour cream. I'll have to look it up but it sure is good!

o

Wonder if was a double portion of the below recipe that my Mom used to make many years ago. In fact, when my brother would come home for a visit or Mom would go visit him, he always requested that she make one of these. Perhaps the restaurant you ate this at doubled or tripled the recipe and just did not put the pie filling on top of it. Worth a try anyway.

Cherry Cheese Pie
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (Eagle Brand is what Mom always used)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 8- or 9-inch baked pie shell or graham cracker crumb crust
1 21-ounce can cherry pie filling, chilled
In large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla.
Pour into crust; chill 4 hours or until set. Top with desired amount of cherry pie filling before serving. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.

o

I would try a regular cheesecake recipe and add a half cup or so of heavy cream.

32oz cream cheese
1 or 2 cups sugar or splenda
4 eggs
1/2 to 1 cup sour cream
dash of vanilla, lemon or almond extract
1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy cream

Butter the pan. Mix all and pour in pan. Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour then turn to 250 for an hour. Then let sit in oven for another hour with door ajar. Refrigerate overnight.

I make cheesecake a lot and if I happen to have cream or sour cream on hand, I'll throw them in the mix which does make a creamier textured cheesecake.
I make mine in a spring form pan though. Have never tried a regular baking pan.

hth!

o

Laurie,

I noticed you posted on the dessert exchange forum. That forum doesn't get much action. I would try the cooking forum.

o

Walnut, that's the recipe! We used to make it every Christmas. I might make another pretty soon.

o

Thank you, Dawn! That was the first one I saw and didn't look any further.

That would be funny if it was the recipe inside the cream cheese box and I've been thinking it was a special recipe all this time. I may have to try it just to see.

o

Laurie,

I grew up with this one. It's softer like you describe. You can leave off the cherries if you don't want them. It is sooo good!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry delight.

o

I would do a search for Italian style cheesecake. It usually has ricotta cheese in addition to cream cheese and sour cream. It bakes up more creamy and less dense than a New York style. The number of eggs used will also change the texture.

o

Thanks, dawnp. I have a total of 4 recipes (including yours) that I want to try now!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here