Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Eyes and fluorescent lighting

Oakley
10 years ago

I know some people are sensitive to fluorescent lighting, but I'm wondering if any of you have the problem I have?

I had to go to Walmart yesterday to stock up on household goods. I walked from one end of the store to the other.

By the time I got to the checkout line, I had gone through two kleenexes from extreme watery eyes, and a runny nose! It was BAD. This only happens in Walmart.

When I'm in other stores with fluorescent lighting, my eye's will water, but not to the extreme like they do at WM.

Also, our WM seems to be very dark. Especially in the food isles.

Does this ever happen to you? When I'm finished shopping all the eye makeup is off. lol.

Comments (20)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Are you sure its the lighting that causes your reaction?

It may be that you are sensitive to some of the products on the shelves.

Or the materials used to produce the products.

Just a thought.

ML

Edited for typo

This post was edited by maddielee on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 9:12

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Most walmarts have skylights in addition to fluorescent lighting so that they can save on power. Could it be the brightness from natural day light?

Here is a link that might be useful: walmart and energy conservation

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maddie, you're right, it could be anything, but it happens in other stores but nowhere as bad as Walmart. By the time I leave WM, it's like I've had a severe allergy attack sans sneezing. My nose doesn't itch or anything, it just runs rampant like my eye's.

Annie, our WM doesn't have the skylights. It's a mini-super center. Never heard of one until it was built in the next town over. I've noticed in the large super centers, the store is a lot brighter but it's been so long since I've been in one, so I don't remember if my eye's were affected.

When I did a google search the fluorescent lighting was a big deal, but no one mentioned watery eyes.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Fabric stores do the same thing to me. I think it's the chemicals that makes the fabric stiff. Some stores are worse than others.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I have that problem at Home Goods and Walmart. I wonder if it's dust allergies, I doubt the air is very clean with all the products and people. I can only stay a half hour with sun glasses on and then I have to leave. Try taking an allergy pill before you go and see if it helps. That would solve the problem.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yaya, I think I've done that before and it didn't work. I'll try it again though.

I told the checkout lady that I wasn't contagious, just having an allergy attack, that's how bad it was. lol

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I had a friend who was the same. Her worst reaction was in book stores. She did go to the doctor and found breathing a problem for various contents of paper products. I never really understood what the reaction was since there wasn't one at home, or if she was reading a book, etc. Perhaps the overwhelming stock in a store created far more of a problem.

I can't go into stores with these lights and stay there for long because of my eyes. But that is another story.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Golddust, I was going to say the same thing. I have had to leave some fabric shops. As far as I know, I have no allergies but there is something in the fabric stores that drives me crazy. I wonder if it is the sizing they use. The smaller and more fully packed the shop, the worse it is for me.

Another time I bought a huge box of paper towels. I had a sports car and had to open the box and pack the rolls everywhere. I got in the car and had to jump right out. I couldn't breathe. Had to drive home with the windows open.

In the office where I used to work there were light fixtures two fluorescent bulbs. Some people asked that one bulb be removed because the lighting bothered them. I think it is a harsh light, and I don't like it,but it never caused me discomfort.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

dedtired and others,

You may be sensitive to

methylchloroisothiazolinone

Read more here at TRUE test. I had this done by my dermatologist and found out exactly what I am allergic to so that I can avoid my triggers. It is really nice to know what is the cause of one's problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: TRUE test

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Julie, interesting. So far my sensitivities are not enough of a bother to me to pursue any testing. I no longer sew, so I don't go into fabric stores often. For some reason, upholstery and drapery fabrics don't bother me. Maybe it's because shops that sell them tend to have sample books rather than shelves full of bolts of fabrics. Who knows!

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

It's funny. I had that TRUE test done about 10 years ago. For the test, these "stickers" with common allergens are stuck to your back for 48 hours to see what you react to.

The one spot for my worst reaction will still react today if that trigger is around me. It is pretty fascinating. And I found out that the preservative used in every shampoo at ordinary stores uses that chemical for its preservative! So I get shampoo at whole foods/drugstore.com and know I am OK.

• sallymo2015
    10 years ago

Oak, I had a similar reaction when I went to the newer Walmart a couple of weeks ago--I have only been to it a handful of times. It is dark in the same area you talk about, and my eyes water enough to make my vision blurry in the other side! It's the strangest thing. I won't go to that one again, it was a waste of time----couldn't find anything because of the weird arrangement of isles! The older one is easy if I really have to go to a Walmart, which I'd rather not. Sometimes it's just handy if I'm driving by...
    I had a friend that had dizziness due to lighting in the hospital cafeteria. I kind of feel that way in Walmart.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I knew it wasn't just me. lol. I only go there if I need to stock up on dog food, etc. Usually I go to our local grocer who has the best meat ever. Walmart meat? Ugh.

On a side note, I have pinkeye now! I can't win for losing. lol. I caught it from my granddaughter. Second time.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Your granddaughter is Bob Costas?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL. It's the new trend. Before I was a granny, I never got sick except for the usual colds and flu, and that wasn't often. Now I get Bronchitis twice a year, I've had pinkeye twice in two years & Norovirus. In fact, I've had the last three illnesses since Dec. 23rd!

No one warned me of the side effects of being a granny. :)

• HU-792436033
    last year
    last modified: last year

I work at a Walmart and as soon as I go through the second set of doors my eyes start to flood and then the runny nose. In the first hour my eyes don't seem to be watering asmuch, but all day long my nose is keeps running.

• Judy Rodriguez
    last year

Yes! all the time in most grocery stores and in cold weather

• Judy Rodriguez
    last year

Yes! in cold grocery stores especially

• Donna Sawyer
    11 months ago

Yes, was there today and my eyes watered so bad i had my shirt dabbing up the tears, only happens at super walmarts.

• HU-874949169
    3 months ago

YES everytime i go

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations