Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Who is the Quintessential 70's Hunk?

leafy02
10 years ago

My sister and I were debating this yesterday--who is the most 1970's of 1970's handsome celebrities?

You know how the hunk of one era isn't in another, and some actors seem to represent the distilled essence of what was considered appealing in their particular heydey, but ten or twenty years later would just be considered 'okay'?
In my mind, when I think of what was considered handsome in the 1970's, I think of Grant Goodeve, who played the older brother in "Eight is Enough". He's not my cup of tea, necessarily, but he typifies what 1970's hunkiness was all about--lots of good hair, very regular features, kind of an earnest look.

Whereas James Spader says "80's" to me--still gotta have good hair, but a more feminine face and zero earnestness.

So, who says "1970's handsome" to you?

Comments (45)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I think early 70s would be David Cassidy. The hair and the clothes.

Later would be John Travolta.

• covingtoncat
    10 years ago

Tom Selleck, Robert Redford, Tom Skerrit. Still rockin it, IMO.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Charles Bronson

• funkyart
    10 years ago

When I think of "hunk" and 70s, I think Eric Estrada, David Cassidy and maybe John Travolta. These were the guys all the young girls swooned over.. and that's the audience that I associate "hunk" with.

I had a life-size poster of Mark Spitz in my bedroom through much of the 70s.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Doesn't matter what era or how old they get...I'll go with Travolta and Selleck too.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

During that time? Clint Eastwood. 60's and 70's I guess, back when he was making those good spaghetti westerns.

I'm much younger than Clint, but he was the George Clooney of the 70's. Hot hot hot. lol

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I associate 70's hunk with Burt Reynolds. After all, he WAS in that Cosmo spread...

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I think of Tom Selleck as being more representative of the TV hunk in the 1980's. I agree with others on Grant Goodeve, Erik Estrada and David Cassidy as the TV hunks with Burt Reynolds and John Travolta as the movie hunks of the 1970's. However, when you move to the late 1970's and into the 1980's, I think you have to add Harrison Ford. Between Star Wars and Indiana Jones, the guy was pretty popular.

I'm sorry, but I've never found James Spader appealing as eye candy...good actor, yes...hunk, no...LOL!

• golddust
    10 years ago

For me, it was Paul Newman, hands down.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I don't know about 70's handsome as that was my lost decade when I gave up my career to be barefoot and pregnant and lived out of the country for 3 years with no TV available.

Tom Selleck and Sean Connery were 2 very memorable hunks from that decade for me. Sean was born in 1930 but still attractive as an older man in the 80's for me.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

My sis and I were gaga over Sam Elliott.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Tom Selleck was and still is drop-dead gorgeous and, in my opinion, the #1 Hunk of the Eighties, Nineties and now still. Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 14:13

• leafy02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

red lover, my mom loved Sam Elliott.

I guess sis and I were thinking more of guys who would be on the posters in our rooms, rather than 'mature' stars like Burt Reynolds and Charles Bronson--although when I was a little older I could definitely see the appeal!

Fun2BeHere--I think you're right that James Spader was less "hunky", but he was definitely high in poster- appeal for me and many of my generation who spanned the years from Grant Goodeve to Molly Ringwald movies.--I thought he had the face of an angel.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I was a teenager in the seventies, so mine were Bobby Sherman, Donny Osmond, David Cassidy.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Paul Newman and Richard Gere....to this day!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The hottest guy ever in my book because he has continued to be so handsome for so many decades is Sean Connery.
    {{gwi:1495077}}

Of course Clint Eastwood was uber macho. Paul Newman simply a knockout. But I had a pitapat for James Caan...there was something about his butt when he walked!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I lovvvvvved Burt Reynolds and remember running out to buy that issue of Cosmo! Richard Gere was also a favorite. The latter has aged quite well, working with what God gave him, the former, not so much!!

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

Tom Selleck, first, last and always. So gorgeous that, if I met him, I would not know what to say. Next is Sean Connery. Both of them have incredible eyes that are filled with humor, such an important quality in a man, and devastating in a handsome man. And Selleck knows how to mock himself.

I also love James Spader, but for his acting, not his looks. He was so good with William Shatner on Boston Legal, especially their sleepovers. Witty and droll!

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

No one mention Patrick Swayse or was he later?

• awm03
    10 years ago

The Glimmer Twins, though they're more like anti-hunk:

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Like texanjana I would have to go with Donny O, first last and always!! Tom Selleck was "older", John Travolta, Eric E were silly, and yes Swayse was later.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

To me, Tom Selleck is an 80's hunk. I'm not sure that I'd call David Cassidy or any "Teen Idol" a "hunk". Does anyone remember Jan Michael Vincent? I remember him as being pretty hunky. And Sean Connery transcends the decades.

I have to edit this to add Clint Eastwood!

This post was edited by terriks on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 22:06

• golddust
    10 years ago

Joanie, my BFF's DH is Richard Gere's double. He is a Ballet Dancer too!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I would also go with David Cassidy, although I was first introduced to Rick Springfield in the 70's teen magazines. He is still quite hunky today at age 64. :)

He was once behind me in line at the airport maybe 10 years ago. I thought I was going to faint!

Here he is with Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rick and Dave

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Ok, teen idol hunks of the 70's-definitely in my book was David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman was my first crush, but David Cassidy-oh, he was my first LOVE. I never cared for Donny.

Shawn Cassidy was also a teen idol in those days, as well as Lief Erickson-but I never liked either of them.

You'd also have had Starsky and Hutch-can't remember their names. Most of the 'hunks' back then were on TV-they were young guys. Movie stars were older than they are today, i think...more in their 30's and 40's rather than their 20's.

Later 70's would definitely have been John Travolta-Vinnie Barbarino for sure, then in Grease and Saturday Night Fever. By then, however, I had a real boyfriend who was IMHO MUCH hunkier.

Tom Selleck was 80's-and I agree-oh, such a good looking guy. I also thought James Spader was cute in the 80's...I was really into that surfer blonde guy look.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, but in my book, in order to make hunk status, he must be able to grow facial hair....Teen idols don't count, IMHO.

• natesgram
    10 years ago

Lee Majors and Tom Selleck. I even had Tom's poster on my wall after I was married :)

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

A digression but I think Ashton Kutcher was incredibly well cast in That '70s Show as a hunky type; the hair, the build etc all were very much in keeping with what we swooned over back in the day.

And FWIW, my first thought was also David Cassidy.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Michael Landon, Robert Urich, Dirk Benedict.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

As leafy clarified, the term "hunk" is a teen word-- the reason you can define them by decade is that they change with the times. They are the guys you see on teen magazines and (in my day) on the posters. The guys young girls cry over.

Not many would argue that paul newman, etc were gorgeous men-- but they werent the -hunks- of the 70s.

And yes.. I remember Jan Michael Vincent (swoon)!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I named a kitten Nanu, after Jan-Michael Vincent's character in The World's Greatest Athlete (1973).

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Yes, Sean Connery does have staying power, no doubt. How about Harrison Ford? Yummy.

• jshore
    10 years ago

I loved Michael Douglas in the Streets of San Francisco.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

LOL funkyart, I'm sure many teens think they invented all sorts of things but âÂÂit just ain't soâÂÂ. At least not according to any online dictionary I can find.

Even ancient people like me who, in the 70's were in our late 20's/early 30's used the term to mean âÂÂn. Slang A sexually attractive man with a well-developed physiqueâ as most online dictionaries state. By this definition some of the boy toys some people mentioned wouldn't come close to qualifying.

IMO it takes a man, not a boy, to qualify as a hunk.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

What! No other Monkees fans out there? I had such a crush on Davy Jones.

Also on the ultimate hunk, Robert Redford.

It's not surprising I married a blonde who can sing.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Agree with Annie and Luckygal---David Cassidy, Donny, Davy Jones, etc are teen heart-throbs, not hunks. Even Beatles (then), Elvis, fit the teen heart-throb category.

And some men may not be considered "hunks" but ooze sex appeal....Cary Grant comes to mind. Who else fits this category?

• funkyart
    10 years ago

LOL.. well, I am not a teen and don't believe I -- or my generation-- coined the phrase! I've just never heard the term used by adults.. only teens.

Regardless.. it's a fun discussion! Lots of good looking men in the bunch!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

In the seventies I was wildly in love with David then Shaun Cassidy, neither whom I consider hunky! Pathetic, perhaps...
    who knows what goes on in the mind of eight year olds....
    I moved on later, in my preteens/teenage years to popular movie stars of the day: Al Pacino, Yes Charles B.!, Robert Redford, Omar Sharif (I was catching up), Martin Sheen...

• leafy02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, you guys are right, I should have used the word "heart-throb". That is what we were talking about. Saying "hunk" does bring more of the hairy-chested lads to mind, a la that Burt Reynolds spread!

blfenton, I love that you mentioned Robert Urich. I can well remember when I used to stay home to watch him!

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Perhaps we need a visual to differentiate between what is a hunk and what is a heart-throb.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I must have been on a completely different wave length. The ultimate 70s men IMO were Steve Winwood for looks and Tim Curry for .... I don't know what.... strangely compelling.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Tom Selleck! He could crank my tractor any time! Then again, so could Robert Redford or Paul Newman. Sam Elliott is right up there too.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Parker Stevenson was one of my favorites from the 70's. Late 70's would have been Harrison Ford.
    Though Tom Selleck did quite a bit of guest staring during the 80's Magnum PI didn't come out until 1980.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i used to think chad everett was very cool and a hunk- from medical center...
    i also thought telly savalas was very cool from kojak...even tho he was alot older and bald!
    mark spitz was pretty awesome too, and i thought bruce springstein was very cool and sexy...

i think sean connery got even better looking as he matured- that 2nd pic of him above is very sexy...
    and tho i've always loved the stones, mic jagger also is better with age, imo!!

• demifloyd
    10 years ago

To me, a hunk represents a man, not a young teenaged boy, but that's just an individual definition.

I associate Tom Selleck with the 80s since that is when Magnum PI aired, but Selleck was in several movies and television shows during the 0s.

I would say for the 70s the quintessential 70's hunk would be Burt Reynolds, perhaps Lee Majors.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths