Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Sonos sound speakers

Lyban zone 4
9 years ago

I am looking for more info. On these speakers.
Does anyone here have a Sonos speaker and can you offer me advice.

I have most of my songs on a Mac computer in a bedroom/office upstairs in my home.

I would like to have speakers for my
1....ground floor small size living room
2....ground floor small kitchen
And maybe one in an upstairs master small bedroom.

Which of the speakers do you suggest?
Thanks for any help.

Comments (3)

• User
    9 years ago

We have a Sonos system and have had for five years. Most of our speakers, which are located in all major areas of the house, are the larger Play 5's, but I have one that is a Play 3 in my office, which is a smaller room than the others (12 x 13') and off to its own. I do like the Play 5's better, the sound is richer in the lower registers, but the smaller size is perfectly acceptable in a smaller room. If it is small yet open to another area, like a living room, I would opt for the larger speaker. You can order one of each size from Amazon and try them in each area and let that guide you in your choices for additional speakers. Amazon purchases can be returned easily.

A couple of words of warning.....the music source must be hard wired to one of the speakers for the mesh network to set up inside your internet signal. In this case it would be your Mac, connected to a speaker via Ethernet cable. Alternatively, you would have to use a Sonos bridge device connected to your router. Some point of the Sonos system must be connected directly to come point of your network. Using the wireless signal only can result is spotty playback, dropped signals, system won't work at certain times of the day if your signal strength is low, etc. In our house we had to set up two wired connections because the distances between rooms are too far for the mesh network signal. My home office laptop (iTunes source) is wired to a speaker and we have a bridge device wired both to the router and a synology drive that contains our ripped disc collection.

Another caveat: make sure your music folder is not too embedded in other folders on your Mac. I had to reorganize my iTunes storage on my home computer because there were too many folders deep on my hard drive for the system to access. There are a few bugs still between the Sinis software and iTunes, although Sonos denies that vehemently :-)

Overall we have been happy with it, although the recent controller app upgrade was NOT an upgrade at all, it makes the system significantly less user friendly. But that wouldn't impact you because you won't have seen the previous interface. The system is more versatile than a wired whole house system of ceiling speakers and was significantly less expensive, not to mention the mess in inherent with retrofitting a home with that technology. We have had seemingly nonstop parties since thanksgiving and I really appreciate the whole house party mode, which enabled me to set a Christmas playlist in the background throughout all areas of the house with no "lag" in the songs' timing from one room to another. Or, something different can be played in every room of the house, pulling from each owned music source or our pandora or spotify accounts.

• sas95
    9 years ago

Love our Sonos. We have the Sonos 1 in our bedroom and the sound is great. It would probably be fine for your kitchen as well. My mother uses the Sonos 1 in her decently sized studio apartment, and it's quite adequate.

As far as your living room, I am not sure, as we use Sonos through our amp and larger soeakers in ours. But if your living room is on the small side, a Sonos 3 is probably fine.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kswl
    Thank you so much for the detailed information.
    That is a big help.
    Amazing what I can ask on this forum and always receive good advice.

Sas95
    Thank you also for your info.
    My LR is about 13 feet by 9 feet
    Kitchen & dinette is about 13 feet by 7 feet
    And the master is about 9 feet by 10 feet
    So as you see quite small.
    I do appreciate all this info.