Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

sacrificial lamb story

daisychain01
9 years ago

If you are sick of my whinging after our house fire, stop reading now.

My daughter remembered a stuffed toy lamb she's had since she was about 4 that she thought we might be able to rescue from under the charred rubble in her room. Going back to teaching this week has been so busy and I'm so tired I almost said no, but we drove over to the house after her evening class. As soon as we opened the front door I could hear water running. It seems a pipe burst somewhere on the third floor and the bathroom we had renovated a few years ago but was unaffected by the fire is now a write off. As is some of the kitchen.

If we hadn't gone back for that poor lamb, no one would have seen the leak (waterfall) until morning. I think the whole house would have been written off. I never did find the lamb.

I know there are much worse tragedies and I am still so grateful we are all safe and together, but I'm feeling a little discouraged at the moment.

Comments (25)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Daisy,
    Oh goodness!
    I did not know this news, you can whine all you need as far as I am concerned.

I am so sorry to hear about the fire, and the lamb, and the bathroom. Yes, of course, it could have been worse, but it is still a loss and still scary, sad and disheartening. I hope all goes as well as can be expected, I know it will be a long process.

I'd have a good cry if I were you. It can really help. Then a bath and bowl of cereal and off to bed!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Oh, I think discouraged should be a vast understatement. But thank goodness the pipe broke before you were in the middle of repairs. Could the lambie have been packed up by the cleaners? I'm so sorry you are going through this.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. You are a good soul to try to see the silver lining during a time of such stress and difficulty. I can only imagine how exhausted you are. Hang in there.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Thank goodness you stopped by the house! I am so sorry to hear more bad news for you! It is absolutely not whining to be upset and overwhelmed when you're dealing with catastrophe with such an impact on your life.

I have complete empathy for you. We went through back to back home disasters several years ago, and I was an emotional wreck for months.

Big,big hugs to you, and wishing you the best as you go through this process. Please keep us updated and vent as much as you want to!

• User
    9 years ago

Daisy I am amazed that you are still able to articulate your feelings about this awful experience. Don't dare apologize for whining because you are Not Whining!

You've gone through a traumatic experience that would leave many people drooling and speechless, including me. A year ago we had one pipe burst and ruin several floors and a ceiling and drywall, etc., and I whined about it, I am ashamed to say. Your experience puts things in perspective for me, but there's not much else short of death or a bombing of your house that would be worse than a fire, imo. And now a Flood!

Amazed you are able to function at work......take care of yourself. And vent away!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Wow! So sorry you are going through all of this. Just remember, that this too will pass. You will be back in your lovely home all safe and sound again, and this will be nothing but a faded memory...a story for the grand kids...

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

You have every right to vent away, (even though yes there are worse things, etc...) but this is your reality and it's harsh, I wish you strength to sustain you in this time.
    It's hard to pick ourselves back up after a calamity like this but trust in time to heal a bit, as you get stronger and stronger, for now it's just too much at once.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really appreciate the support.

I know that not everyone would understand in the way a gardenwebber would that it is not just losing a rug (for example). It is losing a rug that you scoured the internet for, asked opinions on, debated the colour for weeks, watched for the sale and then finally bit the bullet and ordered and then waited anxiously for it to be delivered and rejoiced when it was exactly what you wanted. And almost every piece in my house has some sort of similar story and I know you guys really get that. That a house/home is more than just stuff. I do understand it can all be replaced, but it is still hard.

Again, really appreciate the understanding. I do feel better this morning. Just a bit overwhelming. I did most of the renovating before I went back to work and the thought of now doing it all over again while working full time is a bit off putting to say the least. I know I will be relying on all of you a lot over the next year.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Of course you know it's all just stuff, but there are memories attached to all of it and those memories just can't be dismissed. Which is why your daughter wanted that lamb and why you, tired as you were, knew it was important to try and retrieve it. I'm so sorry it wasn't found and that you found another issue with the water. But as you said, the upside is that the leak was found earlier rather than later. Don't think twice about venting here - this is a grieving process and support is warranted.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

That's not whining! That's a normal reaction to a massive trauma. And I'd like to add something I feel about the characterization "Just stuff." Material acquisition is part and parcel (unintended pun) of the very drive to survive. That which moves us further and further from a state of entropy and into a state of order is part of being alive. Some of us have stronger or weaker drives in that regard, but our need for order and comfort is not to be disparaged. I am so glad that you and yours are well. I am so sorry about the devastation. I would be a quaking heap in similar circumstances.

• hilltop_gw
    9 years ago

I'm speechless. Just so so sorry. Right now it's overwhelming, but at some point you'll look back and say "we struggled, we persevered and life is good". Good luck as you put things back together.

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

These things do happen to us, don't they? This is your time to cry, scream, rant and rave; then take deep breaths and calm down. What a horrible thing to have to go through but this too, shall pass. As my Mom tells me,after every storm there is calm. So just hang in there as best as you could. Things will get better.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry. I absolutely understand how you feel about all the things that you carefully chose to make your house your own. Take care of yourself, come here when you need a little shoring up.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

You are absolutely not whining. Maybe that lamb led you back to the house. I don't know what to say either except I am so sorry. I'm glad you are all together, tired and frustrated and overwhelmed as you may be.

Don't be a stranger to us or whoever you need to chat with when needed.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh goodness Daisy, I am so sorry that you have had added trauma. You are an amazing lady and not at all whining. Prayers and the best of wishes that this quickly gets wrapped up and you can have your beautiful home back in shape.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Feel free to whine, rant, and rave as much as you want...it's sometimes easier and better to do on a forum such as this than with family and friends. We're here to listen and help in any way we can!

• luckygal
    9 years ago

(((((daisychain01)))))

Sending you hugs, healing thoughts, and support in this trying time. I do understand what you are going thru as had a huge flood in my house a few years ago.

Take care of yourself - you will get thru this.

• mom2girls_2008
    9 years ago

I echo all of the above! Sending you hugs and support to help you get through this difficult time. This is not whining... come back, anytime, to let out your frustrations! We are here for you.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

People who have house fires get to whine here all they want. It says that somewhere in the posting rules. :)

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

DaisyChain, I don't even want to imagine what it would be like to have a house fire. Scares the livin' daylights out of me, but gosh, my heart breaks for you. Though a home in reality a home is just an inanimate object, but to those that made it a home it's a living breathing part of their family as are the "things" that fill it up.
    My heart breaks for you for all you are going through, and finding that leak may have been a good thing, before it got worse, but it's still very disheartening. Sometimes it's the little things like this that finally put us over the top of what we can bear.
    God bless you and your family for all you've been and will go through until you are settled once again in your home.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I just had another thought. Shouldn't the water supply to your house be cut off at the main supply at least until someone starts working on repairs?

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, Daisy, I did not know about the fire. I am so sorry this has happened to you and your family, but am grateful you are all ok. You have been through a horrible experience and have every right to feel overwhelmed, angry, sad, etc. You are in my thoughts. (((Daisy)))

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think your positive thoughts and energy are already working. Our cat has stopped meowing and waking us up all night. For now, I will take all positives no matter how small. After being up last night with worry, I am determined to get to sleep before 1030 pm tonight. Everything looks better after a good night's sleep. Thanks again.

Outsideplaying, I think the water has to be on because we have a boiler and hot water rads. I was so panicked that I sat there watching the water pour down and trying to call the contractors, insurance agent, etc. for a full 5 minutes before I realized I knew where the main water shutoff is and ran down to turn it off. Not sure if it made a great deal of difference anyway as there was a lot of water in the system even after I turned it off. Oh well, it will all get fixed eventually.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Daisy, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Please feel free to share your frustrations and heartbreak with us. It is definitely not whining.
    XO
    Beth

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Yes, it could have been worse but it is pretty darn bad as is. You deserve to whine. It releases stress. I am an A #1 whiner when things go wrong. It helps and yes, GW is a great place to let it out. So sorry you are going through this.