Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

My annual "Who's gonna visit me..." thread! ;-)

Faron79
9 years ago

Uffda!
MINUS 8deg now in Fargo!!! Wind-chill @ -33!!

For the coming week, our daily HIGHS will be 0 & lower!
Some O-nite LOWS may hit -18........!

SO....this begs the question...
"Who's gonna come up & visit 'The handsome Viking' this week"??!?!?!

;-)

Faron

Comments (23)

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

I don"t know you, but not me! How does that work being so cold. Are there outdoor workers? What do they do? Do kids walk to school in that?

How do you stay warm in that kind of weather? Fireplaces?

Do I close this by saying enjoy?!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Ha, Faron. Sounds to me like you should be asking, who is going to invite me to visit? Preferably someone from the south.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Peyton!!

Oh yeah...properly dressed, many walk if they're CLOSE to a school. Parents usually do the drop-off thing though!
    I THINK school is called-off up here if the WINDCHILL is -40 or worse. If it's warmer, school can be called off if visibilty is bad too.

Most work stops below 0. Depending on the project though, temporary sheeting/framing is put up to hold in heat from portable propane heaters.

Now @ 8:45pm here, it's -9 ACTUAL. W/C close to -40.

Up here, we often laugh when we hear of other areas calling off school, when to US...it would be just another winter day!

Faron

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Cyn!

Yes...maybe it WAS a silent call for help?!?!?!
    ;-)

Maybe someone in HAWAII will ask me....................?

We ARE going to TEXAS this Thursday, to watch those NDSU-Bison win Nat'l.-Championship # 4!!!!!

Faron

• mary_lu_gw
    9 years ago

Really don't need to visit, sorry....our temps in Wisconsin will be almost as bad. Just a little later getting here. We purchased 5 ton of pellets last summer, so we are stocked up and nice and cozy!

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

And this is my annual reminder to you that we live
    3 hours NORTH of you in Winterpeg :)

And we have no southern vacation planned for this year :(

Are you sure you want to come back from Texas after the game? I'm not sure I would.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Daisy!!!
    I forgot....

Dallas/Frisco won't be much warmer! Next Saturday's high (so far) is only mid-40's!!! Last year, game-day Saturday was ~62! Next morning was 25 though!

Faron

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'll be happy to come visit....

....in June!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh C'mon AD...Fargo has a certain "charm" now don'cha think?!

btw....-10 now....
    ;-)

Faron

• bpath
    9 years ago

Hey, Faron, my mom's from Fargo...operative word, FROM. She was laughing last year during our polar vortex, the only reason school might be closed for her was if the snow was flying so thick you couldn't see the road, but she had to go the next day. She remembers when a blizzard came up during a basketball game and all the kids had to stay overnight in the school. That would have been late '30's, I guess.

I lived in Dallas for a few years, and while winter was short and mild, school could close for 2" of snow! But it was also a good excuse to stay home from work and go to the movies instead. Priorities.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't think I'll need to come visit as you guys are sending your arctic chill our way anyway. We're supposed to be below 0 by mid week....even though they're threatening that it will be near 60 today! Go figure. January in New England....

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I've got my own minus 11 this morning......brrrrrrrr

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Supposed to be sunny here til the weekend. Hope it holds for your stay. The temps are cool for us, but will seem balmy to you. Looks like we will get out first real freeze Friday. You bringing that along with you? I was kind of enjoying cool but not freezing so far. ;)

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

We're with ya, about 3 hours north of you in Canada. It was -43 celcius with the windchill this am.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Faron, it's going to be raining in Dallas too. If it drops to freezing the whole city will shut down. Wait until you see all the crazy Texas ice drivers!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Lascatx!!!

I'm not sure if you're in TX (I don't know if the 'tx' in your name implies that??), but, sadly...it appears I'll be dragging some COLD with me!!

In the below NWS link for Frisco, TX...
    * Looks like the highs for Thu. (when we arrive), Fri., & Saturday/Gameday, will only be ~~40......aarrrggh!
    * Last yr., it was 65 on gameday, but 25 the next morning (Sunday) when we left!!
    * As MANY of you probably remember...that stupidly-named "Polar-Vortex" was pushing South that weekend, & a storm-system had just left Oklahoma, heading East, as we were heading back North!
    * Saw some cars in OK that had went off the road, & we had to take it easy for a stretch there. OK Troopers were assisting some cars!

LOL MagdalenaLee-
    * Are you saying we should put extra insurance on our rental-car this Thursday?!??! ;-)
    * Wonder if I can talk DW into renting a CTS...;-)

FYI: Now -11F/-24C now in God's country/Fargo...;-)

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Dallas/Frisco NWS link...

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I'm in the Houston area but have lived in Dallas and Ft. Worth. DFW gets ice on a more regular basis than we do, but drivers up there are no better at driving on it. We also have a limited ability to sand or clear roads.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

I'll stay here in our banana belt, thank you. We may have gray skies November thru March, but we seldom get below freezing. Just before Christmas we had an arctic blast with lows in the low teens, but we're back to a balmy 55h/45l and slight drizzle.

Oregonians joke about snowmageddon- schools close when a dusting of snow is predicted. But we have a lot of high, steep hills in our urban areas and you literally cant get up or down them if they're the slightest bit icy. More than an inch on the ground and cities shut down! There are only a small handful of snow plows in the metro areas.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

I'll stay here in our banana belt, thank you. We may have gray skies November thru March, but we seldom get below freezing. Just before Christmas we had an arctic blast with lows in the low teens, but we're back to a balmy 55h/45l and slight drizzle.

Oregonians joke about snowmageddon- schools close when a dusting of snow is predicted. But we have a lot of high, steep hills in our urban areas and you literally cant get up or down them if they're the slightest bit icy. More than an inch on the ground and cities shut down! There are only a small handful of snow plows in the metro areas.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Faron, you know you should just move to Texas:)
    I haven't visited this forum in a little bit, I'm happy to hear that you are up and about and that your knee is not keeping you from travelling.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey gang!

Posting to you now from a Bloomington, MN hotel!
    Plane leaves MSP to DFW @ ~~ 1-ish Thursday!!!!

The Bison got there yesterday & were practicing I believe.
    I think the Bison-Equipment semi left Monday?!? It's a full tractor-trailer semi.
    We're landing in DFW ~~ 4:30-ish CST?
    Got our car-window Bison flag to put in the window of rental car!!!!

Look out Dallas.....HERE COMES BISON-NATION!!!!

Faron

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Danish capital of America (Solvang, Ca) was about 80 today

Guess not all of us Vikings stayed in the cold

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

80 degrees!? Wow!

A Viking in TX....hmmm...sounds like a movie?

Didn't get out of MSP until 3:20...arrrrggh. Waited at a couple de-icing stations for a while, and FINALLY took off @ 3:20. Was supposed to be 1:50!

Faron